PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else having problems mounting the newest batch of Troy MRFs?

3CTactical
12-04-08, 11:14
I ordered an extended 13.5" Troy MRF rail from Noveske to go on my N4 but it didn't fit the barrel nut. Initially when I received the rail it had some kind of plastic shim epoxied in the area where the rail clamps to the barrel nut which didn't even come close to fitting, so I removed the platsic shim and epoxy residue thinking it would then fit. It was closer but still didn't fit right. It appears that the ID of the Troy rail was smaller then the OD of the barrel nut. It also appears that some of the clamping screw holes were machined slightly off-center. I called and emailed Troy, but haven't received a response. I also talked with Noveske and they confirmed that the other rails they received from Troy in that batch had the same issues I'm describing here. I sent my rail back to Novekse and Noveske sent the entire batch back to Troy but neither Noveske or I have heard anything back. These are the newest rails with the intergral QD socket.

Solomon
12-04-08, 23:08
Just curious - on a high-end Noveske why not spend a bit more for a high-end rail like SWS/Daniel Defense/LaRue/KAC?

3CTactical
12-05-08, 09:46
I went with a Troy because I wanted to retain a stock barrel nut, I do, however have Daniel Defense Omegas on my other two Noveske N4s. I have an older model Troy 10" MRF on the Noveske now which fits with no problem, I ordered the new rail, because I wanted a longer rail to completely cover the gas block. The Troy rails are quite nice, and I certainly wouldn't consider them a low-end rail by any means.

C4IGrant
12-05-08, 10:11
I ordered an extended 13.5" Troy MRF rail from Noveske to go on my N4 but it didn't fit the barrel nut. Initially when I received the rail it had some kind of plastic shim epoxied in the area where the rail clamps to the barrel nut which didn't even come close to fitting, so I removed the platsic shim and epoxy residue thinking it would then fit. It was closer but still didn't fit right. It appears that the ID of the Troy rail was smaller then the OD of the barrel nut. It also appears that some of the clamping screw holes were machined slightly off-center. I called and emailed Troy, but haven't received a response. I also talked with Noveske and they confirmed that the other rails they received from Troy in that batch had the same issues I'm describing here. I sent my rail back to Novekse and Noveske sent the entire batch back to Troy but neither Noveske or I have heard anything back. These are the newest rails with the intergral QD socket.

Have not had any issues with the MRF's we have.

I would also advise against the 13.5" rail simply for the fact that it is WAAAAY to heavy.

C4

SinnFéinM1911
12-05-08, 10:35
Just curious - on a high-end Noveske why not spend a bit more for a high-end rail like SWS/Daniel Defense/LaRue/KAC?

Why do you think Troy is not High end?

SinnFéinM1911
12-05-08, 10:38
Have not had any issues with the MRF's we have.

I would also advise against the 13.5" rail simply for the fact that it is WAAAAY to heavy.

C4

13.5 or longer is great for a DMR role, not a CQC gun .. in my opinion.... It is heavy, but when people NEED to rely on optics, laser aiming devices and other ancillary equipment to work and be accurate, its worth the weight.

3CTactical
12-05-08, 16:34
Hey Grant, are you referring specifically to the newest MRFs with the integral QDs? I actually think the rail I had from Troy (the one that didn't fit) measured 13.8" instead of 13.5". Is there a different rail that would completely cover the gas block, use a stock barrel nut and is lighter than the Troy? I know the Troy 12 inch rail would accomplish this, but I didn't like the end of the rail and how it is not a straight cut, plus I figured 1.5" more wouldn't add that much weight.

andre3k
12-05-08, 17:47
Why do you think Troy is not High end?

inquiring minds want to know.....I was wondering the same thing. I didn't know I had a second tier rail.

Solomon
12-05-08, 20:13
inquiring minds want to know.....I was wondering the same thing. I didn't know I had a second tier rail.

My apologies to anyone offended. I am sure Troy makes a fine rail if their BUIS are any indication of their commitment to excellence. I just can't recall reading about anyone with the brands I mentioned dealing with issues of fit such as those described by the OP.

3CTactical
12-05-08, 22:47
Normally I would say Troy builds a fine product, but this was their latest batch made for Noveske, with the Noveske logo on the side. I think they just had some kind of manufacturing problems or something. Everyone and every business has their glitches from time to time, but I'm sure Troy will make it right. I was just wondering if anyone else had the very newest revision of the Troy rail and had the same fittament issue I experienced. I did see that someone on TOS had a similiar problem with a non-Noveske marked rail.