PDA

View Full Version : Let’s talk thermal scopes

Eurodriver
01-24-21, 18:04
These seem to really be picking up in popularity and options. It used to be FLIR (no longer selling weapon optics to civilians and non-LE) and ATN (ew)

Now there is Trijicon (IR Defense) and NOX. NOX is new. Like they started shipping a few weeks ago new.

What’s the 2021 consensus on a quality thermal scope?

lahunter57
01-24-21, 19:45
The big names now are pulsar, nvision (which makes the NOX), trijicon, and i suppose you could add iRay since they will be releasing their weapon mounted optics soon.

What’s your intended use? Are you looking for weapon mounted or scanner/head mounted?

Oops, just saw you said “scope”. I think N-Vision and Trijicon provide what most believe to be the most robust and reliable optics. Pulsar and iRay are more budget friendly in some respects, but may not be as durable as other optics. I have no experience with Pulsar optics but I have been really impressed with the image from my iRay MH25. I run it on a KAC bridge with a WP PVS-14 and its wicked awesome when searching for critters.

I would strongly recommend you look into getting a thermal scanner before a weapon mounted optic. Scanning with your rifle will get old quick. .

Eurodriver
01-24-21, 19:51
The big names now are pulsar, nvision (which makes the NOX), trijicon, and i suppose you could add iRay since they will be releasing their weapon mounted optics soon.

What’s your intended use? Are you looking for weapon mounted or scanner/head mounted?

Weapon mounted. Hunting deer, pigs, coyotes and general screwing around.

I’d never heard of Nvision until like 2 weeks ago. Are they a decent brand? $6000+ is a lot of coin to try on a company with no street rep.

Trijicon has been used to kill Hajis for over 2 decades.

lahunter57
01-24-21, 20:00
See my above edited post*

N-Vision is a very reputable company. I think they represent a better value than trijicon at the same performance level. They are using the same BAE cores in their optics.

What’s your price range?

MegademiC
01-25-21, 09:13
I've been on the fence and been keeping up with the market and people using them for a few years.

Pulsar and n-vision seem to be the best for the money, with n-vision being higher-end.

What you need depend on how you hunt. How close will you be, are you relying on this to PID targets? What's the highest base mag you can use(distance)? Once you answer those, some research will point you in the right direction.

Stay away from atn. I find their marketing misleading and people don't seem to consider their products competitive.

Esq.
01-25-21, 10:25
I've been running a Pulsar XP50 Thermion for about a year now. Killing pigs and Nilgai with it. Works great, reasonably priced for what it is......

The Secondary Battery is somewhat expensive at $125. So, I 3d printed a holder for a small Anker storage battery and have that secured to the AR10 rail system. It's a little heavy but cheap and holds a much larger lasting charge.

Lowdown3
01-25-21, 11:41
N-Vision has been around a long while, and they offer a better warranty.

We got some Nox 18mm units in. It's everything my IR Patrol M300 was just smaller, cheaper and newer. We now see a 20 to 1 order volume Nox to IR Patrol.

The 35mm Nox units haven't started shipping yet (1/25) but they will be soon so I'm told. If your principal use was weapons mounting I would say the 35mm would be the better choice of the two.

There is also the HALO LR which is larger but if you were mainly looking at shooting farther distances I would go with that.

CRAMBONE
01-25-21, 12:09
[QUOTE=Lowdown3;2923580]
Are all of those stand alone optics?

Lowdown3
01-25-21, 13:30
[QUOTE=Lowdown3;2923580]
Are all of those stand alone optics?

Yes. The Nox 18 and 35mm can be used as weapon sights or handheld or helmet mounted.

The HALO LR is also weapons mounted, couldn't really be helmet mount (big) but could be used as a handheld as well.

Let me know if that didn't answer your question. Thanks

B Cart
01-25-21, 13:42

I’d never heard of Nvision until like 2 weeks ago. Are they a decent brand? $6000+ is a lot of coin to try on a company with no street rep.

I've been spending a lot of time behind thermal scopes lately (just got back from hog hunting in Texas last night). If you want the best image quality, go with the Halo-LR, or other NVision options. I have a Halo-LR and it's awesome, and I think the NVision scopes are a better value than the Trijicon offerings.

If you don't want to spend that much, and want a great mid-priced thermal scope in the $3k range, i would take a hard look at the Bering Optics options. I have a Bering Super Hogster, and the image quality is really good for the money, and it's much smaller than a lot of thermal scopes out there, so you can easily take it off and use it as a scanner. It comes with a quick detach mount, and they run $3,200. I use it for Scanning and Search and Rescue a lot, because i can wear it on a lanyard around my neck for night ops.

Renegade
01-25-21, 13:51

You can do all that with a $3K Pulsar.

Those are ACOGs.

Trijicon thermal has only been on the market a few years, it was previously IR Defense. Trijicon has not updated the product line in the 4.5 years they have owned it. Looks like they are abandoning it to me.

Love my IRHunter MKIII, but it should be a MKV by now.

Lowdown3
01-25-21, 13:56

Those are ACOGs.

Trijicon thermal has only been on the market a few years, it was previously IR Defense. Trijicon has not updated the product line in the 4.5 years they have owned it. Looks like they are abandoning it to me.

Love my IRHunter MKIII, but it should be a MKV by now.

Agree. They bought out IR Defense, immediately raised prices $500. or more on the wholesale and retail level and have changed nothing int he last years...

Meanwhile a Nox will do all the same and more, is smaller and less money.

CRAMBONE
01-25-21, 14:05
[QUOTE=CRAMBONE;2923594]

Yes. The Nox 18 and 35mm can be used as weapon sights or handheld or helmet mounted.

The HALO LR is also weapons mounted, couldn't really be helmet mount (big) but could be used as a handheld as well.

Let me know if that didn't answer your question. Thanks

Yes sir it does. Are there clip-on models that work mounted in front of a day scope?

Lowdown3
01-25-21, 14:09
[QUOTE=Lowdown3;2923621]

Yes sir it does. Are there clip-on models that work mounted in front of a day scope?

The IR Patrol is supposed to be able to be used as a clip on, I didn't have the best luck with it but it's possible.

The Nox is not set up to be used as a clip on, most thermals are not.

Eurodriver
01-25-21, 16:03
Good info on the Trijicon offerings. I guess I am a bit of a brand snob and having had no experience with NVision I was worried they might be garbage.

Scanning with a rifle sucks, but what is my other option? Having a handheld and a rifle scope? That seems ridiculous.

What is the benefit to the 18mm vs 35mm NOX? 35mm is gonna be bigger but what does that get you?

Then why doesn’t everyone buy a $3k pulsar? You can’t be saying a $3k Pulsar is as good as a NOX or Reap-IR. Are you? Why wouldn’t I get something better if I had the choice?

Lowdown3
01-25-21, 16:13
The Nox 18mm would be the best choice if your principal use was hand held and helmet mounted and occasional rifle mounting.

The 35mm would be the best choice is your principal use was weapons mounted and occasional helmet mounting.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Renegade
01-25-21, 16:24
Then why doesn’t everyone buy a $3k pulsar? You can’t be saying a $3k Pulsar is as good as a NOX or Reap-IR. Are you? Why wouldn’t I get something better if I had the choice?

I know more people with Pulsar than anything else. Pulsar range from $2500 - $5000. In some ways they are better. More features, lighter, better look, etc. Thermion or newer cores are excellent.

Higher price does not mean better. My MKIII is great, but that resolution and range is not needed to shoot pigs at 100 yards which is what I do 99% of the time. For that I use a Pulsar. Less magnification equals better FOV

Eurodriver
01-25-21, 17:50
I know more people with Pulsar than anything else. Pulsar range from $2500 - $5000. In some ways they are better. More features, lighter, better look, etc. Thermion or newer cores are excellent.

Higher price does not mean better. My MKIII is great, but that resolution and range is not needed to shoot pigs at 100 yards which is what I do 99% of the time. For that I use a Pulsar. Less magnification equals better FOV

Interesting. I have never heard of any thermal companies. I’m just really apprehensive about trying anything I haven’t heard of before (Trijicon/IR Defense & FLIR) because I don’t wanna get burned buying something that’s garbage.

Which Pulsar model is good to go?

MegademiC
01-26-21, 07:55
Good info on the Trijicon offerings. I guess I am a bit of a brand snob and having had no experience with NVision I was worried they might be garbage.

Scanning with a rifle sucks, but what is my other option? Having a handheld and a rifle scope? That seems ridiculous.

What is the benefit to the 18mm vs 35mm NOX? 35mm is gonna be bigger but what does that get you?

I don't see why you couldn't scan and mount with a qd, but haven't heard of anyone doing it.

The larger lense brings up the bottom magnification a d improves clarity for longer shots. Most of the predator hunters seem to prefer the larger lenses for target ID and longer shots, for pigs at 100 or less, a lower cost unit with larger fov seems preferred since there is more shooting of moving targets. More expensive isn't necessarily better, its just needed for more magnification.

Edit: try to find some halo vs halo-lr videos, and you can see the fov difference. The resolution difference between lenses and cores shows itself when the optic is zoomed in.

B Cart
01-26-21, 10:19
I don't see why you couldn't scan and mount with a qd, but haven't heard of anyone doing it.

Depends on how and what you're hunting, but I do it all the time, and so do a lot of people. Obviously, having a permanent scope mounted thermal and a separate handheld for scanning is the best option, but that gets pricey quick.

With my Bering SuperHogster, i have a neck lanyard attached to a picatinny rail section. I keep my thermal QD mounted to that while scanning, and when i want to shoot, i simply quick detach it from the lanyard, and attach it to my gun. I have a rail cover on my upper, so my scope will only go back in the same place every time, and i have a piece of glow in the dark tape attached to my upper too, so i can see right where to put it. It's very quick, and always returns to zero.

Lowdown3
01-26-21, 11:41

The larger lense brings up the bottom magnification a d improves clarity for longer shots. Most of the predator hunters seem to prefer the larger lenses for target ID and longer shots, for pigs at 100 or less, a lower cost unit with larger fov seems preferred since there is more shooting of moving targets. More expensive isn't necessarily better, its just needed for more magnification.

Edit: try to find some halo vs halo-lr videos, and you can see the fov difference. The resolution difference between lenses and cores shows itself when the optic is zoomed in.

Not sure they are still offering the 25mm HALO, I believe just the HALO LR now.

everready73
01-26-21, 11:46
Depends on how and what you're hunting, but I do it all the time, and so do a lot of people. Obviously, having a permanent scope mounted thermal and a separate handheld for scanning is the best option, but that gets pricey quick.

With my Bering SuperHogster, i have a neck lanyard attached to a picatinny rail section. I keep my thermal QD mounted to that while scanning, and when i want to shoot, i simply quick detach it from the lanyard, and attach it to my gun. I have a rail cover on my upper, so my scope will only go back in the same place every time, and i have a piece of glow in the dark tape attached to my upper too, so i can see right where to put it. It's very quick, and always returns to zero.

I have been hearing good things about the Hogster. How are you liking it

Esq.
01-26-21, 13:01

Just this morning I used my Flir Breach to solve a problem.

We have chickens on our little homestead. Unfortunately, we also have a long standing fox den on a neighbors place- literally generations of foxes have been raised there. It's ideal Red Fox territory. So, every few months we have a "fox problem". About a week ago I saw a lone fox, figured it was a male coming in to re establish a territory since I blasted the shit out of the last one about 3 months ago....

This morning as I was letting the chickens out- they free range our yard, when I looked up and saw not 1 but 2 foxes- great, mated pair.....going to set up house and start dropping kits in the next few weeks....

Went back to the house and got my Breach and a .22. Time I got back outside I had lost them of course...started scanning the field next door- which I also own...found them laid up in a clump of Yuccas. Waited for the sun to come up a little and I was able to make them out- about 50 yards away. Picked one of them out, POP! Floppy floppy....The other ran off a ways, circled back- wanted to get a shot at it really bad but always moving etc....and it moved off. Will have to wait for another day.

The Breach has really come in handy as a real survival "tool". Those chickens are pretty important to us....If things really went sideways- even more so....

B Cart
01-26-21, 13:52
I have been hearing good things about the Hogster. How are you liking it

I love it. I personally think it's the best thermal available in the $3k range, and i really like the size. It also records video which is a nice perk.

Lowdown3
01-27-21, 07:40
Just this morning I used my Flir Breach to solve a problem.

We have chickens on our little homestead. Unfortunately, we also have a long standing fox den on a neighbors place- literally generations of foxes have been raised there. It's ideal Red Fox territory. So, every few months we have a "fox problem". About a week ago I saw a lone fox, figured it was a male coming in to re establish a territory since I blasted the shit out of the last one about 3 months ago....

This morning as I was letting the chickens out- they free range our yard, when I looked up and saw not 1 but 2 foxes- great, mated pair.....going to set up house and start dropping kits in the next few weeks....

Went back to the house and got my Breach and a .22. Time I got back outside I had lost them of course...started scanning the field next door- which I also own...found them laid up in a clump of Yuccas. Waited for the sun to come up a little and I was able to make them out- about 50 yards away. Picked one of them out, POP! Floppy floppy....The other ran off a ways, circled back- wanted to get a shot at it really bad but always moving etc....and it moved off. Will have to wait for another day.

The Breach has really come in handy as a real ". survival "toolThose chickens are pretty important to us....If things really went sideways- even more so....

Bolded for emphasis- YES! I always get the people that are like "I don't PLAN on fighting... so why would I need NV or thermal?"

Protecting your livestock which keep you fed? Yes. Allowing a safer bug out under the cover of darkness? Yes. Allowing you to spot people and possibly avoid them long before they "see" you? Yes. Ability to go out in the darkness and harvest game when others cannot? Yes. Ability to see and detect animals that you might not have been able to see and harvest them? Yes...

Dozens of uses for NV and thermal that don't involve using them to "fight." Yes they make a helluva force multiplier in fighting situations no doubt there, but they also have tons of other uses for survival.

Just firing up the Nox 18mm around the house a cold night last week I realized there was a couple areas lacking in insulation that I need to work on.

Great post!

Eurodriver
01-28-21, 15:43
Bolded for emphasis- YES! I always get the people that are like "I don't PLAN on fighting... so why would I need NV or thermal?"

Protecting your livestock which keep you fed? Yes. Allowing a safer bug out under the cover of darkness? Yes. Allowing you to spot people and possibly avoid them long before they "see" you? Yes. Ability to go out in the darkness and harvest game when others cannot? Yes. Ability to see and detect animals that you might not have been able to see and harvest them? Yes...

Dozens of uses for NV and thermal that don't involve using them to "fight." Yes they make a helluva force multiplier in fighting situations no doubt there, but they also have tons of other uses for survival.

Just firing up the Nox 18mm around the house a cold night last week I realized there was a couple areas lacking in insulation that I need to work on.

Great post!

You rock man.

Definitely going with the Nox 35mm.

B Cart
01-28-21, 16:53
You rock man.

Definitely going with the Nox 35mm.

Very solid choice. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Eurodriver
01-28-21, 17:14
Very solid choice. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Oh I will :)

I’ve never been this excited about an optic before.

Just wish NOX would hurry up and start shipping them.

AndyLate
01-29-21, 07:00
It is stunning to me how much lighter and more compact weapon mounted NV has become given it is a relatively small market. NOX 18mm with mount is 16 oz and 35mm is 19.3 - that compares well to a light LPVO and mount.

I have no need a gun-mounted thermal device, but wow.

Andy

awmp
01-31-21, 00:10
great thread, any pics of the setups?

utahjeepr
02-04-21, 09:38
So, I am thinking I would like a COTI for scanning/situational awareness and laser shooting. I would also like a mounted thermal for keeping the coyotes down, etc. We don't really have hogs in UT yet thankfully.

How does a guy prioritize?

RHINOWSO
02-04-21, 11:59
So, I am thinking I would like a COTI for scanning/situational awareness and laser shooting. I would also like a mounted thermal for keeping the coyotes down, etc. We don't really have hogs in UT yet thankfully.

Decide what distance you want to shoot.

I see a weapon mounted thermal as far more useful for distance shooting.

COTI / NVDs are more useful for shorter ranged work. Yes, you can shoot further than that but only when you know what you aiming at already.

CRAMBONE
02-04-21, 14:58
Burris just released a few models. TFB has a video on YT showing them off.

Eurodriver
02-08-21, 20:27

For me it comes down to if I’m stationary or moving.

Stationary hunting = Thermal

Moving = NV + IR laser (COTI would go in this bucket)

I am not invading foreign countries or using NV against concealed threats in shoot houses, but I find myself hunting at night almost weekly so the thermal weapon mounted optic made more sense for me.

utahjeepr
02-09-21, 20:34

I am not invading foreign countries or using NV against concealed threats in shoot houses, but I find myself hunting at night almost weekly so the thermal weapon mounted optic made more sense for me.

This is right along my line of thinking. However, if I don't move around, I have less opportunity to spot yotes. If I move around with NV only I may spook em before I see em. Past a few hundred, the laser is bigger than the yote. I'll just have to tell the wife you authorized both. ;)

ETA: If I can save a calf or two a year, thermal really ain't that expensive over time. :cool:

hotrodder636
02-12-21, 06:35
Good info here. Just got into NODS and wanting to get a thermal next. I like that NOX unit. May well be my next optic purchase.

RHINOWSO
02-12-21, 06:44
ETA: If I can save a calf or two a year, thermal really ain't that expensive over time. :cool:

Heck, thermal would be a business write off!

Eurodriver
02-15-21, 14:31
Good info here. Just got into NODS and wanting to get a thermal next. I like that NOX unit. May well be my next optic purchase.

I'd go and let JRH know you're in line. He doesn't take money up front and who knows how long it will be til the 35mm NOX's ship...

....Lowdown? :)

Eurodriver
02-24-21, 15:23
What is the preferred way to shoot at multiple distances with a thermal optic?

My 6.5 drops 1.2 mil from 100y to 300y. My .223 12.5” is way more. What about wind?

B Cart
02-24-21, 16:17
What is the preferred way to shoot at multiple distances with a thermal optic?

My 6.5 drops 1.2 mil from 100y to 300y. My .223 12.5” is way more. What about wind?

Most thermal scopes have multiple different reticle types that include reticles with mil or moa hashes that you can use for holdovers, wind calls, and leading moving targets etc.

Eurodriver
02-24-21, 17:28
Most thermal scopes have multiple different reticle types that include reticles with mil or moa hashes that you can use for holdovers, wind calls, and leading moving targets etc.

This is amazing. Lowdown3, does the NOX have such reticles?

utahjeepr
02-25-21, 10:44
I know the halo has multiple reticles built in. I believe the NOX does as well, but i have no hands on experience with one.

B Cart
02-25-21, 13:29
This is amazing. Lowdown3, does the NOX have such reticles?

The Halo has 6 different reticle options and there are options with built in horizontal and vertical hash marks for holdovers and wind calls. I'm not sure on the Nox though... Probably the same reticles i would think.

Lowdown3
02-25-21, 13:32
Sorry just seeing this- yes on the reticles.

RHINOWSO
02-25-21, 13:36
Pulsar has a bunch of reticles, even the cheaper Pulsar Core RXQ30V 1.6-6.4x22.

Seems to be pretty standard and easy to do, since they all are computers at the heart of them.

vicious_cb
02-25-21, 22:55

Or just spend the dosh on a Steiner CQT and do both while also being able to invade countries and go into shoot houses with one optic. Fused thermals are the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3sPttILm9I&t=613s&ab_channel=HickoryFlatBoars

CRAMBONE
02-25-21, 23:25
Anybody have anytime with the Burris I offerings yet?

hotrodder636
03-08-21, 07:13
Robert is the man I have been communicating with, he got me into a WP PVS14.

I'd go and let JRH know you're in line. He doesn't take money up front and who knows how long it will be til the 35mm NOX's ship...

....Lowdown? :)

Any updates on NOX 35mm status/shipping?

Lowdown3
03-08-21, 07:32
Robert is the man I have been communicating with, he got me into a WP PVS14.

Any updates on NOX 35mm status/shipping?

None of the 35s have shipped yet that I am aware of. We have pending orders going waaaay back at this point.

18s have been slower to ship as well. Barely 3 went out in the last month- still getting caught up on those.

Will have a small qty. of HALO LRs in stock in the next week that are not already pre-sold. A very rare occurrence now a days. If you want to be able to really get out there, the HALO LR is a great choice.

B Cart
03-08-21, 14:25
If you want to be able to really get out there, the HALO LR is a great choice.

Can't beat the Halo-LR for image quality. I just wish it had internal recording capabilities. I got an external DVR so it's not a huge deal, but wish it was built in.

vicious_cb
05-01-21, 19:53
Fusion is the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eWpjUOLR0w&ab_channel=MilitaryFootageArchive-MFA

Eurodriver
06-17-21, 04:19
None of the 35s have shipped yet that I am aware of. We have pending orders going waaaay back at this point.

18s have been slower to ship as well. Barely 3 went out in the last month- still getting caught up on those.

Will have a small qty. of HALO LRs in stock in the next week that are not already pre-sold. A very rare occurrence now a days. If you want to be able to really get out there, the HALO LR is a great choice.

Have the NOX 35s began shipping yet?

Lowdown3
06-17-21, 07:33
Have the NOX 35s began shipping yet?

Got our first shipment end of March. They are TRICKLING OUT.... They are doing "allotments" on these and each dealer only gets a certain number every month. We are still waiting for our 2nd shipment that I was told would ship in May. We are roughly half way through our pre-order list. The folks that will be receiving this next batch have been emailed already.

If you have a pre-order you are NOT charged until the order is ready to ship. Feel free to shoot me an email with your full name if you have a pre-order and I'd be happy to let you know where on the list you are.

If you would like to book one, give us a call- you can get a pre-order started and get in line and cancel later before it ships if need be.

If your looking for something quick, we have some HALO LR TWS in stock right now. If your looking for a dedicated TWS the HALO LR will get you out there farther than the Nox and is a bulletproof unit.

Feel free to call or email if you have any questions.

Eurodriver
06-17-21, 08:49
Just spoke to Lowdown3.

Gotta say he is very good people!

Lowdown3
06-17-21, 09:18
Just spoke to Lowdown3.

Gotta say he is very good people!

It's a frustrating situation waiting for products now a days. We are told "expect shipments in such and such time" and then it's months later before it happens.

All we can do is not charge until an order is ready to ship so that the customer isn't out any money until it's headed their way.

N-Vision has been very slow in getting these out unfortunately. Nox 35 has the worst backlog, 18mm units aren't much better in backlog.

Sorry for the wait, will update as it gets closer to your unit coming up in line.

Eurodriver
08-26-21, 05:21
JRH charged my card. It’s getting close :)

I can’t wait to see this bad boy! I’ll be sure to post pics when it’s up and shooting. (After I learn how to use it!)

B Cart
08-26-21, 11:02
JRH charged my card. It’s getting close :)

I can’t wait to see this bad boy! I’ll be sure to post pics when it’s up and shooting. (After I learn how to use it!)

Excited for you! It's such cool technology. Even after using thermal for a few years now, every time i look through it, it tingles the testies.

Eurodriver
09-02-21, 18:39
Excited for you! It's such cool technology. Even after using thermal for a few years now, every time i look through it, it tingles the testies.

Thanks. I’m stoked. I’m pretty annoyed at USPS though. I’m a few hours drive from JRH and it’s been 5 days in transit and still not even in my state yet.

I want to experience the tingle. I should’ve just driven to them and gotten it.

Lowdown3
09-02-21, 20:45
Thanks. I’m stoked. I’m pretty annoyed at USPS though. I’m a few hours drive from JRH and it’s been 5 days in transit and still not even in my state yet.

I want to experience the tingle. I should’ve just driven to them and gotten it.

That's a little odd for so close. These were all shipped via Registered mail which is the safest way to send high dollar items. It will get there and is insured for $6K

Eurodriver
09-03-21, 04:22
That's a little odd for so close. These were all shipped via Registered mail which is the safest way to send high dollar items. It will get there and is insured for $6K

Not worried at all about it getting lost with registered mail but USPS is crazy slow. It’s been to the same post office twice and now hasn’t moved in 2 days.

Oh well. I’ve been learning patience dealing with NIVISION lol

Eurodriver
09-03-21, 10:17
Not worried at all about it getting lost with registered mail but USPS is crazy slow. It’s been to the same post office twice and now hasn’t moved in 2 days.

Oh well. I’ve been learning patience dealing with NIVISION lol

Jk it got delivered today.

SO STOKED for tonight with my new baby girl.

Lowdown3
09-03-21, 13:04
Jk it got delivered today.

SO STOKED for tonight with my new baby girl.

Heck yes!!! Your going to love it! Awesome units.

thanks again!

Eurodriver
09-03-21, 17:59
Oh yeah. My balls tingle.

arptsprt
09-03-21, 18:35
Good for you. Do you mind sharing your initial thoughts when you can?

I’ve got a NOX18 on the way, I hope. Mine was shipped from JRH probably in the same batch as yours and the tracking says the phucking thing only arrived in Atlanta today after six phucking days. I’m in the Pacific Northwest. So yeah, I’m not happy and very phucking irritated. Was hoping to take it out this weekend when I’m in the backcountry starting tomorrow.

Would love to hear what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
09-03-21, 21:22

I’ve got a NOX18 on the way, I hope. Mine was shipped from JRH probably in the same batch as yours and the tracking says the phucking thing only arrived in Atlanta today after six phucking days. I’m in the Pacific Northwest. So yeah, I’m not happy and very phucking irritated. Was hoping to take it out this weekend when I’m in the backcountry starting tomorrow.

It’s crystal clear. I can see everything. I have the 35mm so a bit bigger but I can easily see deer and coyote sized game out to 500+ yards. At 150y I can see the wisps of fur on an animals back and hind section. It’s insane. I now understand why “pics don’t do it justice” is stated for every NOX review. They just don’t. I almost don’t want to post any because it doesn’t come close to what you really see.

I can’t explain it other than it’s crystal clear. Thermal has come a long way in the last decade. It makes NV look like a joke.

I got it zeroed in 6 rounds. It’s easier to zero than a traditional scope even.

GTF425
09-03-21, 21:24
It’s crystal clear. I can see everything. I have the 35mm so a bit bigger but I can easily see deer and coyote sized game out to 500+ yards. At 150y I can see the wisps of fur on an animals back and hind section. It’s insane. I now understand why “pics don’t do it justice” is stated for every NOX review. They just don’t. I almost don’t want to post any because it doesn’t come close to what you really see.

I can’t explain it other than it’s crystal clear. Thermal has come a long way in the last decade. It makes NV look like a joke.

I got it zeroed in 6 rounds. It’s easier to zero than a traditional scope even.

I'm h-happy for y-y-you.

09-04-21, 00:36
Dude’s sleep is ****ed.

Lowdown3
09-04-21, 08:14

I'm not sure what the hell goes on in Atlanta but I don't believe those jokers up there ever scan a package. I've tracked several that look like they have been "sitting" in Atlanta for days that show up cross country the next damn day.

It will get there. Registered mail is the safest (most expensive however, but none of you all were charged shipping) method for high dollar items.

We just went through a similar thing with Fedex. Something shipped within the state (usually 1-2 days) took about ten days to get here- in the same damn state.

Eurodriver
09-04-21, 11:01
I'm not sure what the hell goes on in Atlanta but I don't believe those jokers up there ever scan a package. I've tracked several that look like they have been "sitting" in Atlanta for days that show up cross country the next damn day.

It will get there. Registered mail is the safest (most expensive however, but none of you all were charged shipping) method for high dollar items.

We just went through a similar thing with Fedex. Something shipped within the state (usually 1-2 days) took about ten days to get here- in the same damn state.

Funny enough this is exactly what happened to me. Note that I made a post at 4:22am Eastern and it was still showing as it bouncing around Atlanta. I don’t even live in Georgia.

5 hours later it was at my house. Atlanta’s a mess.

arptsprt
09-09-21, 07:14
I got my NOX18 yesterday and was able to play around with it for about an hour last night. It is very impressive. You’re right, it’s very clear. Holy smokes is it bright. My came with brightness at the high setting of 5 and I was blinded initially. Even at 2 and 3 it’s a little bright. The controls and menus are very intuitive and easy to use. Reticles are nice with great options. Did I mention how clear it is?

Since I’ll use it a lot as a scanner, I need to figure out a good neck lanyard system.

Plan to take it out this weekend with the NODs to get full effect. We do a lot of night hikes and training in a remote area known to be cougar county and we’ve always “felt the presence” of the cats while out in NODs but haven’t seen them. Yet.

B Cart
09-09-21, 11:12
Since I’ll use it a lot as a scanner, I need to figure out a good neck lanyard system.

I use my thermal as a scanner and scope, and i have a neck lanyard for mine. I basically took a padded neck lanyard (from a binocular case), and then tied it with paracord to a long picatinny rail section. My Thermal is on a QD mount, so it attaches to the neck lanyard rail, and when i want to shoot, i just use the QD mount to quickly release it and put it on my gun. I have a rail cover on my gun, so the thermal always goes back in the exact same spot, and i also got some glow in the dark tape from amazon that is on my gun showing me exactly where to put it quickly. Holds zero great every time. I've killed multiple coyotes this way.

arptsprt
09-10-21, 16:22
I use my thermal as a scanner and scope, and i have a neck lanyard for mine. I basically took a padded neck lanyard (from a binocular case), and then tied it with paracord to a long picatinny rail section. My Thermal is on a QD mount, so it attaches to the neck lanyard rail, and when i want to shoot, i just use the QD mount to quickly release it and put it on my gun. I have a rail cover on my gun, so the thermal always goes back in the exact same spot, and i also got some glow in the dark tape from amazon that is on my gun showing me exactly where to put it quickly. Holds zero great every time. I've killed multiple coyotes this way.

Thanks for the info.

Eurodriver
07-08-22, 06:50
Just wanted to update this thread

I've had it 10 months now? It's been *BEAT UP* and abused. It's gotten muddy. Rained on. Fell off the ATV as I was driving it up into a truck bed. It bounced out of the ATV, landed on the objective side on the rail of the truck bed and then fell down off the bed of the truck on the ground. Probably fell a total of 7 feet on to gravel.

Nothin. I use it every single night to scan for coyotes or hogs in my pastures. It's been cycled on and off at least 300 times - maybe even double that.

Still works. No dead pixels. Retains zero (even though I remove it every night for a scanner and put it back on when I see a coyote or hog)

I'm beyond impressed, and I don't miss the $2000~ I would've saved by buying something cheaper.

Hank6046
07-08-22, 07:46

I've had it 10 months now? It's been *BEAT UP* and abused. It's gotten muddy. Rained on. Fell off the ATV as I was driving it up into a truck bed. It bounced out of the ATV, landed on the objective side on the rail of the truck bed and then fell down off the bed of the truck on the ground. Probably fell a total of 7 feet on to gravel.

Nothin. I use it every single night to scan for coyotes or hogs in my pastures. It's been cycled on and off at least 300 times - maybe even double that.

Still works. No dead pixels. Retains zero (even though I remove it every night for a scanner and put it back on when I see a coyote or hog)

I'm beyond impressed, and I don't miss the $2000~ I would've saved by buying something cheaper.

Just to be clear because it has been awhile since I went through this thread, you are talking about the Nox 35 correct?

Eurodriver
07-08-22, 08:08
Just to be clear because it has been awhile since I went through this thread, you are talking about the Nox 35 correct?

Correct.

https://i.ibb.co/J7hHtMG/3-B748-DD8-C3-FA-4940-9868-1-E8-A731-BFF8-E.jpg

I've actually placed an order with Lowdown3 for another one :)

Lowdown3
07-08-22, 08:10
Noice!!! Thanks again!

Is that a T1 you have mounted on top?

Eurodriver
07-08-22, 08:16
Noice!!! Thanks again!

Is that a T1 you have mounted on top?

Yep. Everyone laughs at it but its no higher than an RMR on an ACOG.

Lowdown3
07-08-22, 08:19
It looks about the same height. I like it!!!

Eurodriver
07-08-22, 13:28
It looks about the same height. I like it!!!

Thanks. It's great for being in the woods at night in case something (someone) gets in your business

Eurodriver
07-08-22, 13:28
double tap

Eurodriver
07-08-22, 13:30

The most satisfaction I got from my NOX35 was my buddy telling me that my screenshots are better than what he sees through his Hogster in real life. ;)

https://i.ibb.co/5TwpJqd/DC53-ED29-D3-F4-4-B94-9-EC3-AB0-AE332-E282.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/y6gXHzK/631646-F4-AD52-4643-89-EA-E7-C171069-D64.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/PYfYBp5/266980-E0-5-D78-477-F-805-C-E58-D16959629.jpg