PDA

View Full Version : Shaving

Averageman
01-25-21, 19:31
I shaved every day in the Military even when I didn't have a whisker and was just taking the tops off of zits. I hated every minute of it.
In the late Seventies we were first introduced to double edged Blades and gel shave cream rather than old school foam. This was a giant step backward from a comfortable shave.
The biggest reason I hated shaving every day because I was I was doing it too fast, and with the wrong equipment.
I reevaluated all of this and changed some things;
First never shave with a cold face, shave after your shower or after leaving a warm wash cloth on your face for two minutes.
Second I went to the old school Butterfly Razor. The blades last sharp longer and then you clean the razer over and flip the blade over and go at it again.
Thirdly I gave up shaving cream and bought shaving soap and a Barbers Brush. Sweet Molly Brown is this stuff good. Drop a round bar in a coffee cup and you'll will shave for a year or more with a quality soap, that smells better and lasts at least ten times longer than a can.

When I retired from the Military my damned whiskers came in grey and with a vengeance.

Gabriel556
01-25-21, 20:39
Definitely a GD topic, nothing carbine related. But I can commiserate. I have used a 1956 Gillette FatBoy for about 8 years now, and a tub of shave soap that’s about 7 years old and will last a LONG time now. I have had a beard for 4+ and will likely keep it until my wife decides to trade in for a newer looking model without having to go through the drama. My beard is grey even though I’m 40 but I do still have to trim the neck and cheeks.

Honu
01-25-21, 20:56
For blades mirror in the shower is my preferred method and agree on proper soap or shave lotion no gel its just irritating
Stropping blades works with a small piece of leather helps extend them its like they still wear out in close to same time maybe a bit longer but they stay super sharp up till that point it seems and is less irritating
Not sure on the butterfly how you would do that ?

But IMHO try a mirror in the shower I just turn up the temp and let it run on my face for a bit and then lather up use a touch of the soap to wipe the mirror so no fog and its easy to clean the razor to and a nice thorough rinse as I hate hate hate anything left that is soapy on my face

Always wanted to get a good badger hair brush and straight razor for the simple old school aesthetics and give it a try one day

This last year I started to just try the electric daily and its working OK but there is something about a blade I prefer still as many have said you have to let your face adjust to the style of shaving you do ?

Co-gnARR
01-25-21, 21:32
I was just lamenting the topic of shaving, myself. My facial hair is dense, so cheap blades don’t last, nor do they give a good shave. Check out Badger & Blade, a forum dedicated to shaving. All kinds of knowledge there for how to shave, the right way. A few years back I inherited an old fashioned butterfly double edged razor. With the right blade, along with correct prep (hot towel, properly prepped brush & lather) it is exceptional. Good blades seem harder to find any where except online. Equally important is the post shave routine, namely cold wash, astringent rinse and moisturizing.

joedirt199
01-25-21, 21:38
Yup a case of double edge safety razors blows dollar a day shave out of the water. Merkur Solingen adjustable razor, henry cavendish soap, gillette nacet razors, nivea after shave lotion and a good badger hair brush cause honey badger don't give a shit.

Shave while in the shower is the best.

JediGuy
01-25-21, 21:45
I no longer shave, other than to cleanup around the edges of my beard. After being required to shave for 10.5 years for school or work, I stopped when given the option.

However, things I learned... Shave in the shower, if possible. Heat up the shaving cream (there is some good stuff) if not. Use a sharpener disposable blades; seriously, it’s a thing, I found mine the other day. Use a quality “aftershave.”

SteyrAUG
01-25-21, 21:51
For me the biggest thing is I don't have to shave every day. I can go 5 days before I start looking really scruffy and I seem to get a more comfortable shave than if I was scraping off the shadow from the day before.

I really haven't found much difference in soap vs. shaving cream. At the sink I use shaving cream, in the shower I use soap. At the sink I use very cold water in the shower I use very warm water, doesn't seem to make much difference. Seems like when I use cold water I tend to get everything on the first pass vs. in the shower where I have to hit some parts of my face three or four times. But shaving in the shower does let me multi task a bit more.

I use some kind of Mach III BS razor because I can't get a decent shave with a bic disposable and the Mach III nonsense is the most cost effective razor when it comes to refills, etc.

Disciple
01-25-21, 22:04
Drop a round bar in a coffee cup and you'll will shave for a year or more with a quality soap, that smells better and lasts at least ten times longer than a can.

What brand do you like?

joedirt199
01-25-21, 22:12
Henry cavendish soap is nice, comes in a round puck and smells good. I get mine from amazon. Don't use a ceramic coffee cup. They break like crazy when you drop it in the shower. Who knew soap would be slippery. I have a plastic DARE coffee cup now. Thanks sheriff's dept extra crap they can't give away.

jbjh
01-26-21, 01:54
My Merkur 38HD and Astra Platinum blades changed everything for me. The razor is heavy enough that I don’t have to put much pressure the make a clean pass, and the blades aren’t so aggressive that they abrade my skin (I’m looking at you Feather).

Oddly, my favorite shave cream is from Trader Joe’s (pretty sure Jäson makes it for them).

The other big thing that helped was using aftershave. It helps to disinfect all the micro abrasions I just made by dragging a sharp piece of metal across my skin.

Only real issue I have is if I fly, I have to check my bag because DE blades aren’t allowed in the cabin of the plane.

Sent from 80ms in the future

pag23
01-26-21, 03:33
I don't shave everyday and I use an triple head Norelco electric razor with Afta pre shave, then Duke Cannon Ice aftershave lotion...I have an Excel razor to clean up any hairs the electric misses. I agree prep really helps wth making shaving easier

donlapalma
01-26-21, 06:51
I don't have aggressive facial hair and should shave about every other day. I've gone to a Braun electric shaver and I'm very happy with that choice. No more razor burn or irritated skin. If I ever need a super close shave, I still have a Gillette razor to get that job done.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

markm
01-26-21, 09:01
I shave every other day. Soft water is very helpful in making a shave smoother/more comfortable.

Averageman
01-26-21, 09:07
I have a pretty thick beard and it shaves so much better after I've washed my face in the hot shower water.
While attending Military schools for Professional Development, twice a day was the usual, especially if we were doing something later in the evening.
It sucked so bad with cheap razors and jell foam.

My Poor Son inherited the beard, very difficult for him to not develop ingrown hairs though.

Whiskey_Bravo
01-26-21, 10:27
My Merkur 38HD and Astra Platinum blades changed everything for me. The razor is heavy enough that I don’t have to put much pressure the make a clean pass, and the blades aren’t so aggressive that they abrade my skin (I’m looking at you Feather).

Oddly, my favorite shave cream is from Trader Joe’s (pretty sure Jäson makes it for them).

The other big thing that helped was using aftershave. It helps to disinfect all the micro abrasions I just made by dragging a sharp piece of metal across my skin.

Only real issue I have is if I fly, I have to check my bag because DE blades aren’t allowed in the cabin of the plane.

I use the exact safety razor and blade setup. I have a beard so only touch up and shave the neck so my razors and soap last forever. I fly a lot for work(ok, I did before covid) and I just took a disposable razor with me so I didn't have to check a bag.

everready73
01-26-21, 12:00
Shaving after a shower makes a huge difference. I didnt figure that out till my late 20's always shaved before.

I have a trimmed beard these days and shave a about every 3 days to maintain the beard/clean up. I was using Dollar shave Club, but the handles kept breaking on me.

I ordered some Dorco Pace on Amazon which i believe is the same blades DSC uses anyways. I just run hot water and clean up around my beard, but may try some of the soap mentioned. $20 for a razor and blades from Dorco will last me over a year easy and quality is good

https://www.amazon.com/Dorco-Plus-Blade-System-Trimmer/dp/B008O82O7C/ref=sr_1_68?dchild=1&keywords=razors&qid=1611683745&sr=8-68

Gabriel556
01-26-21, 13:52
So funny story I forgot to add. I’ve used subscribe and save from Amazon for a few things that are hard to find even in my area. I use Feather blades and forgot to remove them from my quarterly shipment. I now have 200 blades and a beard. So I’m going to be set until I can’t hold a razor anymore.

jbjh
01-26-21, 14:44
I have a pretty thick beard and it shaves so much better after I've washed my face in the hot shower water.
While attending Military schools for Professional Development, twice a day was the usual, especially if we were doing something later in the evening.
It sucked so bad with cheap razors and jell foam.

My Poor Son inherited the beard, very difficult for him to not develop ingrown hairs though.

My ingrown hairs went away with the DE safety razor. Because the hairs aren’t cut below the surface of the skin, they don’t have a chance to curl under. While it might not be as smooth a shave as triple or quad blades, it’s infinitely more comfortable.

I also found that using warm water, as opposed to hot water, was better for me because I wasn’t hurting my skin prior to abrading it with sharpened metal.

TexasAggie2005
01-26-21, 14:44
My Merkur 38HD and Astra Platinum blades changed everything for me. The razor is heavy enough that I don’t have to put much pressure the make a clean pass, and the blades aren’t so aggressive that they abrade my skin (I’m looking at you Feather)....

Are you me?

I'll add in, the Proraso Sensitive Skin (white bowl) soap is my go-to, and an alum block to finish.

jbjh
01-26-21, 14:48
Are you me?

I'll add in, the Proraso Sensitive Skin (white bowl) soap is my go-to, and an alum block to finish.

Ha! There’s a lot of us. And apparently none of this is new information to my African-American friends.

Coal Dragger
01-26-21, 16:26
Yeah Feather blades need to be used for a bit before they mellow out enough to not give razor burn.

Grand58742
01-26-21, 16:58
If you aren't using a chainsaw to shave, you're wrong!

Truthfully, I let myself "go" shaving wise as soon as I retired. That and that little blue ID card that somehow added 20 pounds to my ass immediately upon retirement.

Anyway, I've had a beard since that historic day I departed the base as a civilian and haven't looked back. Kind of my rebellion for having to shave for so long. These days, I trim my neck and cheeks and little else.

A single Mach 3 will last me at least three to four months. Crazy thing is, once I retired I started breaking out all my deployment bag stuff we had to have on hand "just in case" and started using it up. I think I finally ran out of razors sometime last year from everything I'd bought over the years and had sitting and waiting.

Retired in 2013 FYI.

Coal Dragger
01-26-21, 17:05
I also have a beard, but my neck needs to be shaved and so do my upper cheeks or else I look like a cave man, I shave my head too because my hair decided to not grow on my head much anymore.

JulyAZ
01-26-21, 17:19
I think a lot of guys hate shaving because they don’t know how to shave.

I love a good double edge razor, if I’m in a hurry I use my disposable straight razor because there’s no need for the strop, but if I have the time. I pull out the Dovo for the best shave.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210126/8791a4d8dad059f92edc625cfb4e33b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ThirdWatcher
01-26-21, 21:02
... I've gone to a Braun electric shaver and I'm very happy with that choice. No more razor burn or irritated skin...

+1. I use a Braun electric razor too (every day), got tired of the razor burn and irritated skin. I’m retired now so no need for a closer shave, I won’t even wear a necktie anymore.

ubet
01-27-21, 01:15
I only shave every three days or so. But I stopped using the newest multi blade bs stuff in 2010. I bought my first straight razor and strop then, and refuse to go back. Not much beats shaving with that 5/8 square point thiers issard razor she’s a beast. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210127/5dcdc9dc48fb34e5f03e783c07a4ea7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamper
01-27-21, 06:32
Currently using a Feather razor with Feather razor blades. May have to try those Astra blades. I really like the Larher & Wood shave soap; sandalwood and bay rum are my favorite scents.

Using a Georgetown Pottery scuttle. It has a reservoir for hot water allowing for a warm lather. This works surprisingly well. I use water at 208°F from my hot water holder that’s used for coffee and tea.

Shaving scuttle
https://www.georgetownpottery.com/category/Shaving.html

jbjh
01-27-21, 11:46
There are loads of variety packs that allow you to try different blades and see what’s right for you.

And don’t listen to the “your skin will get used to it” crowd. I heard that for 25 years, and then finally figured out that it wasn’t my skin, but the entire system I had bought into that was giving me problems.

ubet
01-27-21, 16:00
There are loads of variety packs that allow you to try different blades and see what’s right for you.

And don’t listen to the “your skin will get used to it” crowd. I heard that for 25 years, and then finally figured out that it wasn’t my skin, but the entire system I had bought into that was giving me problems.

If you don’t shave for awhile then shave, yes you’ll get more razor burn. But it only lasts a shave or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averageman
01-27-21, 19:10
Funny straight razor story.
We were shooting gunnery in Graf and I'm in the latrine shaving. I shaved with a straight razor I got trading around. My First Sargent is about ten feet behind me shaving.
I reach in to my Tanker boot and pull out my straight razor and I hear, "No, oh HELL no!" He gave me a cheap Bic Disposable and gave me back my razor when I PCS'ed.
You know the EM clubs in Graf used to have a hell of a reputation for hand to hand combat. As a matter of fact, I think he picked me up at the MP Station there one time. Top was there when it went down. Funny Shit now that I'm pushing 60.

just a scout
01-27-21, 19:51
Funny straight razor story.
We were shooting gunnery in Graf and I'm in the latrine shaving. I shaved with a straight razor I got trading around. My First Sargent is about ten feet behind me shaving.
I reach in to my Tanker boot and pull out my straight razor and I hear, "No, oh HELL no!" He gave me a cheap Bic Disposable and gave me back my razor when I PCS'ed.
You know the EM clubs in Graf used to have a hell of a reputation for hand to hand combat. As a matter of fact, I think he picked me up at the MP Station there one time. Top was there when it went down. Funny Shit now that I'm pushing 60.

Heh. My 1SG taught me how to use one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kaiservontexas
01-27-21, 21:38
Safety or straight razor and shaving soap is the best shave I know of personally. I have a Merkur safety razor with Feather razors, or I use a Thiers-Issard that is similar to a old school Wade & Butcher.

jsbhike
01-27-21, 21:48
I like Personna medical prep blades. Seem to hold an edge a shave or 2 more than Feathers.

kaiservontexas
01-27-21, 21:49
I like Personna medical prep blades. Seem to hold an edge a shave or 2 more than Feathers.

Thanks for the information. I will check it out in the future.

Ron3
01-28-21, 08:20
I shave my neck almost every day. The face twice a week.

Wash face with mild soap, electric shaver, go over again with a disposable double-blade.

Wash again with mild soap, moisturize with face moisturizer.

If I currently have a mustache/goatee I trim with scissors.

I think I'll try an aftershave for the germ-killing alcohol. But I thought washing with mild soap would accomplish the same thing.

I hate shaving.

jbjh
01-28-21, 13:29
I shave my neck almost every day. The face twice a week.

Wash face with mild soap, electric shaver, go over again with a disposable double-blade.

Wash again with mild soap, moisturize with face moisturizer.

If I currently have a mustache/goatee I trim with scissors.

I think I'll try an aftershave for the germ-killing alcohol. But I thought washing with mild soap would accomplish the same thing.

I hate shaving.

While washing does help, alcohol-based aftershave really disinfects the area. I was shocked at the difference it made for me.

Ron3
01-28-21, 13:51
While washing does help, alcohol-based aftershave really disinfects the area. I was shocked at the difference it made for me.

I'll get some, thanks.

Reccomend a good, easily accessible brand?

jsbhike
01-28-21, 15:51
Witch hazel vs. alcohol based after shave info. Pretty sure every witch hazel bottle I have seen mentions some alcohol in the mix.

https://www.toolsofmen.com/witch-hazel-vs-alcohol-which-is-the-perfect-aftershave-solution/

Ron3
01-29-21, 14:46
Witch hazel vs. alcohol based after shave info. Pretty sure every witch hazel bottle I have seen mentions some alcohol in the mix.

https://www.toolsofmen.com/witch-hazel-vs-alcohol-which-is-the-perfect-aftershave-solution/

Hmm...so Witch hazel doesn't kill germs.

Maybe rinse with mild soap (kills virus, washes away germs?) after shaving then apply witch hazel-containing aftershave?

Or use alcohol aftershave and follow up with witch hazel?

Hmm...

jbjh
01-29-21, 15:58
I'll get some, thanks.

Reccomend a good, easily accessible brand?

I ended up with Shea Moisture Men, partly because it was at Target while I was there. Smells decent as well.

Moisturize afterward. I’ve been using Aveda Beautifying Oil for years because a bottle tends to last forever.

joedirt199
01-31-21, 17:56
I have 2 new feather boxes 10 blades each, 1 opened feather box close to 10 blades, 2 new gillette platinum plus 3 blades each, 14 new boxes of derby extra 5 blades each. The derby's are not as sharp as the gillettes and feathers are at the top of the sharpness scale. I have settled on gillette nacet as my blade of choice. If you want to try some of the blades I have, shoot me a message and I will get them out to you.

jsbhike
02-01-21, 22:19
I have 2 new feather boxes 10 blades each, 1 opened feather box close to 10 blades, 2 new gillette platinum plus 3 blades each, 14 new boxes of derby extra 5 blades each. The derby's are not as sharp as the gillettes and feathers are at the top of the sharpness scale. I have settled on gillette nacet as my blade of choice. If you want to try some of the blades I have, shoot me a message and I will get them out to you.

When I got my first safety razor, Derby was my favorite out of a sampler pack even over Feathers.

Once I got used to DE shaving, I gave Feathers another try and liked them so I made the switch to Feathers for several years before trying the med prep blades.

jsbhike
02-01-21, 22:25
Hmm...so Witch hazel doesn't kill germs.

Maybe rinse with mild soap (kills virus, washes away germs?) after shaving then apply witch hazel-containing aftershave?

Or use alcohol aftershave and follow up with witch hazel?

Hmm...

No, the Witch Hazel works as a disinfectant too. From the link:

"Witch hazel not only exhibits many of the sought after qualities found in an alcohol-based aftershave splash including being a natural disinfectant…"

Just fairly sure all bottles I have seen have a trivial amount of alcohol like this.

https://www.wbbarber.com/catalog/swan-witch-hazel-astringent-16-oz/

Honu
04-07-21, 23:08
For the DE guys

Got a Rex Ambassador today :) I heard they are aggressive and yeah they are but will run a bunch of blades through it and figure it out but the build quality is freaking outstanding and the handle is so nice easy to hold etc...

Honu
04-07-21, 23:08
Double

The_War_Wagon
04-08-21, 06:17
I grew my beard in '92 - back when I looked like Cmdr. Riker. :cool:

https://i.ibb.co/DD9BGJm/WWCU.jpg

NOW I look like Santa Claus... :fie:

titsonritz
04-08-21, 13:25
No blade has touched my face in decades.

Gabriel556
04-08-21, 16:41
You must be lucky. I get the massive neck beard if I don’t keep up. I think as I get older the hair on my scalp migrates down my neck. I still love my 56 Fatboy and Feathers. Also have an inherited Gillette Slim from my wife’s Grandpa that is too mint to use regularly.