PDA

View Full Version : 14.5" Mega Arms

SonOfAGunn
01-26-21, 20:44
I've had this Mega set for a while now and decided to assemble a 14.5" since I always wanted one. Here's the list of parts I used that are pictured. I'm undecided on the buttstock, IMOD or EMOD; Samson VG, Arisaka VG/Indexer, or none.

Lower
Mega Arms GTR-3H
VLTOR IMOD Stock
VLTOR Carbine Extension
Geissele 42 Spring
Geissele H2 Buffer
Forward Controls Design Castle Nut
Forward Controls Design End Plate
Buffer Retaining Pin from a Geissele kit
Forward Controls Design Ambi Safety
Pivot and Takedown Pins from a Standard Geissele LPK
Geissele SD-E Trigger
Forward Controls Design Extended Mag Release
FCD Bolt Stop
Magpul K2+ Grip

Upper
Mega Arms GTR-3H
FCD Forward Assist
Strike Industries Dust Cover
Geissele Charging Handle
Colt BCG
Midwest Industries Rear BUIS
Trijicon MRO Patrol
Centurion Arms C4 MLOK Rail FSB 12"
Samson Stubby VG
Surefire X300u-B
14.5" Colt SOCOM Profile
Colt Carbine Gas Tube
Surefire Closed Tine Adapter (pinned/welded)

The barrel work was done by John Thomas (Retro Arms Works). He removed the ears/tabs for the sling and re parkerized the area, removed the handguard cap, and pinned and welded the muzzle device. I was really impressed with his work and customer service. Awesome.

There's a picture of the pin and weld job. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210127/7d4d9a664b046fcc892ba9f26143c279.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210127/44e9247767c25d194ea95cf69201f9fa.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210127/2a7039541625131d38c211dc9f3a6339.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210127/747eb2d6826ae7642fb9aecd9b6bfda4.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210127/ebe44c628d1f559dc72ac1cfa37564ca.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210127/9de7940bb55e2bb63abbe018f1791cad.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Disciple
01-26-21, 20:51
Looks great!

What was your motivation to choose carbine gas over mid-length?

SonOfAGunn
01-26-21, 23:24
Looks great!

What was your motivation to choose carbine gas over mid-length?I've shot both and the carbine didn't make that much difference to me compared with a mid. I wanted a Colt barrel also after reading that the socom profile Colts were pretty accurate.

SonOfAGunn
01-26-21, 23:25
Looks great!

What was your motivation to choose carbine gas over mid-length?Thanks man, I like the way it turned out. I just want to shoot it!

Wake27
01-26-21, 23:34
I strongly prefer seven sided MLOK rails but those C4 MLOK rails look dope. We’ll done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonOfAGunn
01-27-21, 00:24
I strongly prefer seven sided MLOK rails but those C4 MLOK rails look dope. We’ll done.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThanks. I agree having 7 sides gives you more options. I just don't have a need at this point for it so that helped with my decision to go with the C4. I was going to go with a stripped CHF FN M4 barrel and use a Geissele rail for this build, but after seeing Sticks pictures of this rail I had second thoughts. I ended up using that FN barrel for a spare upper.

RHINOWSO
01-27-21, 07:18
Nice, I miss MEGA ARMS.

SonOfAGunn
01-27-21, 10:36
Me too, I wish I would have gotten some of their rails and and a few forged lowers before they sold to Zev.

RHINOWSO
01-27-21, 11:29
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Somehow I lucked out that Megas Gators were my first lowers and I stuck with those for the most part for lowers, other than some complete rifles I bought.

Just a case of being lucky when someone suggested them a decade ago for a great lower. I really wanted their small frame 308 they were touting back in oh, 2015-6 maybe at SHOT? Then they got bought out by Zev and who knows what happened.

Reinforces that if you really want something and the price is reasonable to you, don't wait.

SonOfAGunn
01-29-21, 07:07
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Somehow I lucked out that Megas Gators were my first lowers and I stuck with those for the most part for lowers, other than some complete rifles I bought.

Just a case of being lucky when someone suggested them a decade ago for a great lower. I really wanted their small frame 308 they were touting back in oh, 2015-6 maybe at SHOT? Then they got bought out by Zev and who knows what happened.

Reinforces that if you really want something and the price is reasonable to you, don't wait.Agreed. I really feel that way about Colt and think I missed out on one those 6920 Socom rifles (2010 I think).

I was able to get to the range yesterday and try out the build. It was having trouble cycling. At first it wouldn't eject the spent case. I swapped out the BCG with a well used one and it would work fine so I swapped it back, I figured maybe the new BCG just needed to get broken in. The bolt has a very tight fit in the carrier. It then would eject the spent case but wouldn't pick up a new round. After a few more rounds it was working correctly.

I didn't have access to the rifle range yesterday so I zeroed my RDS at 50 yards. I used a 3-9 Luepold scope to get a group and was happy with the barrel. Below is a 10 round group.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210129/6ec71e86b60014c4982ad4d0a98e7078.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210129/caf07138e71b24e15f2dbd223e856977.jpg

Hammer_Man
02-05-21, 14:51
Sweet build! I like Mega’s billet receivers for their fit and finish, but they’re a bit on the heavy side. There’s a local shop with a set with a nickel boron finish that I’m half tempted to pick up....

SonOfAGunn
02-05-21, 15:07
Sweet build! I like Mega’s billet receivers for their fit and finish, but they’re a bit on the heavy side. There’s a local shop with a set with a nickel boron finish that I’m half tempted to pick up....Thanks, I had fun putting it together. If you decide you don't want that set, let me know. I've always wanted that set!

I really like the rail that I used but it has flex that I'm not used too. I may switch it out

tgizzard
02-05-21, 15:27
Nice looking shooter OP. I was lucky enough to pick up a MEGA arms gator lower from aim surplus a few years back for like $80. I fit it out with a BCM lower parts kit and put a BCM 14.5 complete upper on it. I love that gun. Would have liked to have been able to snagged one of their uppers, but that ship has sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonOfAGunn
02-05-21, 16:07
Nice looking shooter OP. I was lucky enough to pick up a MEGA arms gator lower from aim surplus a few years back for like $80. I fit it out with a BCM lower parts kit and put a BCM 14.5 complete upper on it. I love that gun. Would have liked to have been able to snagged one of their uppers, but that ship has sailed.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPretty much, but there is some (slim) hope. Primary Arms was selling billet Mega sets last year. I called ZEV to ask when they would do another run of MEGAs and was told that they found those that were sold on PA. They didn't make a run. She said that if more were found they'd sell them off just like the previous sets.

I check back regularly, it's sad. I have been looking at Centurion Arms sets lately.

Hammer_Man
02-06-21, 00:19
Pretty much, but there is some (slim) hope. Primary Arms was selling billet Mega sets last year. I called ZEV to ask when they would do another run of MEGAs and was told that they found those that were sold on PA. They didn't make a run. She said that if more were found they'd sell them off just like the previous sets.

I check back regularly, it's sad. I have been looking at Centurion Arms sets lately.

That’s good to know, as I was wondering where those Mega receivers came from. The Zev forged receivers are a carbon copy of the Mega Gators, and I’ve used them for multiple builds with excellent results. Zev also manufacturers forged receivers for Noveske, SOLGW, Expo Arms, and JSE Surplus.

Rmorris
02-24-21, 18:40
Can’t go wrong with a colt barrel. They really are the standard.
I wish Zev would just bring back the line. They were clean.
I would pay for several sets.
I have a few small and a few large sets

Adrenaline19
06-01-21, 00:10
Thanks for the post/info
My next build is hopefully Mega.......such a nice, clean, crisp look