PDA

View Full Version : 7mm08

Dave L.
12-04-08, 13:54
Anyone here shoot 7mm08 or have a custom bolt gun chambered in it?
I'm thinking of having one built.
What do you guys think of this round?

msoprano
12-04-08, 14:30
I've got a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08. I've taken deer and hog with it so far. I wanted a small, light kicking deer rifle, but I believe that in a compact rifle, the low recoiling properties go out the window. I can't feel the difference between that and a .308 rifle. I am very happy with the performance I've gotten on game (140 grain ballistic tips).

Mine isn't a precision rifle, so take it for what it's worth.

DocGKR
12-04-08, 15:28
7mm-08 is a very fine caliber and works well for almost all most hunting applications in the lower 48 states.

Dave L.
12-04-08, 15:35
7mm-08 is a very fine caliber and works well for almost all most hunting applications in the lower 48 states.

Thank you for the advice.
I thought about getting GAP to build me one.

Can you tell me at what range it would be ineffective on Game between 150-250lbs, shooting 140grain?

Damascus
12-04-08, 16:20
I think the 7mm-08 is one of the most underrated cartridges of all time - just like the .280 Remington, it never got the credit it deserved. A perfect deer rifle up to 400 yards.
However, for a tactical rifle, I would also consider the .260 Remington, a bit better ballistics than the 7, and both are designed from the .308 case, so both will be inherently accurate.

Dave L.
12-05-08, 11:40
I think the 7mm-08 is one of the most underrated cartridges of all time .

I completely agree with this statement. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on more.
I shoot 7mm Rem Mag and love it.

Damascus
12-05-08, 13:09
Yup. A 7mm-08 loaded with some "tough" bullets, such as the (in order of my personal preference) Barnes TSX, Nosler Accubond, Nosler E-Tip, Nosler Partition, Hornady InterBond, it will have enough penetration to stop any game on this continent... including elk and bear with proper shot placement and long, high B.C. bullets (the long, slender bullets is what makes the 7's such great penetrators, and have accounted for many elephants back in the day in Africa with rounds like the 7x57 and 6.5x55 Swede).

Nathan_Bell
12-05-08, 14:39
I've got a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08. I've taken deer and hog with it so far. I wanted a small, light kicking deer rifle, but I believe that in a compact rifle, the low recoiling properties go out the window. I can't feel the difference between that and a .308 rifle. I am very happy with the performance I've gotten on game (140 grain ballistic tips).

Mine isn't a precision rifle, so take it for what it's worth.

Nice set-up. Guys I hunted with were all in love with the Model 7. IMHO .257 Roberts is the ideal round for the rifle. True pussy cat and with a good load able to take down all but the heaviest deer in the US.

mac83083
12-06-08, 00:03
I had a browning a-bolt in 7mm-08 but decided for some reason that I needed a bigger cartridge to kill whitetail deer with. I killed several deer with this cartridge and one medium sized black bear and all of those animals were killed cleanly and quickly. My rifle would shoot right around MOA with pretty much any load you stuck in it. A few of the guys around here still use the cartridge and all of their rifles also shoot well so I am sold on the inherent accuracy. When I had my rifle I used if for groundhogs with a handload using the 120 ballistic tip and hits out to 350 yards were no problem. If I decided to build a rifle for medium game and long range work this round would be on my short list.

TacticalIntervention
12-06-08, 10:03
The 7/08 is an excellent caliber. If you hand load you will certainly smoke the 308 for down range performance. BC on 7mm bullets is better than the 30 cal. Plus the 7mm bullet lands with a big thud on animals (Works well at stopping)

Now for tactical comp rifles I prefer the 260 because it does to 7/08 what 7/08 does to 308.

Now for true sniper rifles I use 308 because bbl life is longer and ammo of shelf is better

Dave L.
12-06-08, 11:53
The 7/08 is an excellent caliber. If you hand load you will certainly smoke the 308 for down range performance. BC on 7mm bullets is better than the 30 cal. Plus the 7mm bullet lands with a big thud on animals (Works well at stopping)

Now for tactical comp rifles I prefer the 260 because it does to 7/08 what 7/08 does to 308.

Now for true sniper rifles I use 308 because bbl life is longer and ammo of shelf is better

Would you happen to know the difference between the barrel life of 7/08 and .308?
I've heard .308 should last about 8K correct?

TacticalIntervention
12-06-08, 11:59
Just based on my beating up a bunch of bbls in comp and training over the years but here is what my average is in bbl life and still great shooting
308 with 168-175 Factory Match 8000 rds Normal firing
Same across course hard use 6000 rds
308 with hot hand loads (Such as 155s at 2900fps) and Tactical Firing 6000 with hard use 5000 rds

7/08 with hand loads and tactical firing 5000 rds
hard use 4000 rds

260 Hand Loads and tactical 4000 rds
Hard use 3000 rds

Your mileage may vary

RedMan*
12-06-08, 12:19

TacticalIntervention
12-07-08, 13:47
Thanks Stu, you have been making some cool gear lately Lad

Badd Kharma
12-08-08, 20:21
Thank you for the advice.
I thought about getting GAP to build me one.

Can you tell me at what range it would be ineffective on Game between 150-250lbs, shooting 140grain?
What do you plan on doing with it? Hunting? or matches, or plinking

Dave L.
12-09-08, 01:52
What do you plan on doing with it? Hunting? or matches, or plinking

Maintaining my marksmanship skills. I'll probably hunt deer with it also if I ever become available during hunting season.

RyanB
12-10-08, 18:04
Yup. A 7mm-08 loaded with some "tough" bullets, such as the (in order of my personal preference) Barnes TSX, Nosler Accubond, Nosler E-Tip, Nosler Partition, Hornady InterBond, it will have enough penetration to stop any game on this continent... including elk and bear with proper shot placement and long, high B.C. bullets (the long, slender bullets is what makes the 7's such great penetrators, and have accounted for many elephants back in the day in Africa with rounds like the 7x57 and 6.5x55 Swede).
I've taken 7x57 after moose, and there is nothing on this continent you couldn't hunt with it, but it is not a STOPPING cartridge by any means.

Damascus
12-10-08, 18:56
I've taken 7x57 after moose, and there is nothing on this continent you couldn't hunt with it, but it is not a STOPPING cartridge by any means.

Oh yes, of course lol, I'd never advise someone to take a 7x57 to Africa after large or dangerous game, I was just saying that there have been elephant taken (quite a few) with the 7 and 6.5 Swede... Personally, you'd never see me in Africa with anything less than a .375 H&H or .338-378 Wby.
Was just letting the OP know why the 6.5 and 7mm rounds kill so efficiently. Skinny, long for caliber bullets offer tons of penetration, the longer the bullet, the deeper it'll penetrate (by standard means), but don't offer as much tissue disruption as larger caliber bullets do.
To OP: for your stated purposes, marksmanship - I think you'd be best suited with a .260 Remington. It will be easier to find a "tactical" style rifle in .260 than 7mm-08, and the .260 will kill any animal that the 7 can. Good luck with whatever you choose.

dutch308
12-11-08, 08:41
Just to put my two cents in , I just bought my son Ruger 77 Hawkeye in this caliber for his first hunting rifle. Before I bought it I asked guys around my area and researched it on the net. From what I have heard and read I think that it is a very underrated cartridge. Ballistics apear to be very good. I purchased several boxes of Hornady 139 gr. SST's for him to shoot in it as well.

adh
12-11-08, 20:39
Just an FYI for anyone who might be intersted
Rem 700 in 7mm08 for sale on TOS
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=609976

BushmasterFanBoy
12-16-08, 23:27
I have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion chambered for 7mm-08.
I do not handload so I don't shoot too many rounds through it. I've fired perhaps 260 rounds through it. Ammunition runs about ~$25 per box for the cheap hunting stuff.

The recoil is light, certainly more than a .223, but I can sit at the bench and shoot two boxes (40 rounds) and I am fine. I do like the recoil characteristics of the round.
Accuracy is something I can't judge.
First off I don't handload so I have to purchase factory ammunition and I usually don't go for the $40 per box stuff. Secondly, I am not a very good shot with a rifle. I've shot the rifle at 400 yards and found it to be quite difficult, even when on a bench. I had difficulty hitting "large" targets, say 3'x3'. No spotting scope, just my rifle glass and a bit of trajectory information. I don't think this was any problem with the rifle/caliber, but more of a shooter problem. I can't shoot for shit, so it doesn't really matter what amazing wildcat round you give me. One thing I really regret is not being able to shoot a precision rifle well. Someday I hope to learn.
Move the target closer and I am good to go. At 250 yards clay pigeons are no problem :D.

Bigun
12-17-08, 01:55
My TIKKA T3 in 7mm08 is my favorite deer rifle. with the Hornady interbond and a stout load of 4064 it stacks the 140's into less than a inch with boring regularity. The 7mm08 is one of my all time favorite callibers and this TIKKA is the 3rd I've owned the other 2 being a M70 featherweight and a Browning BLR. All were accurate and hit hard.