PDA

View Full Version : Basic but durable scope recommendations?

opngrnd
02-01-21, 13:42
Is there a basic sub-$500 scope that holds up to regular use on 308 bolts guns, ARs, etc? How do Super Sniper and Primary Arms do? I don't feel like budgeting $1500 for every concept I feel like trying, and I've had exceptionally bad luck with mid-range scopes that try to pack features into a budget version of a nightforce. Sometimes I'd just like a reliable 3x9 or 4x12 that can be thrown on a rifle, sighted in, and just shot with.

ggammell
02-01-21, 16:33
Anything in the Vortex Viper line would do you well. Probably just north of your preferred price though. $500 is kind of the go/no go for a durable optic. You could get lucky under. But will be safe above that. If you have access to any of the pro deals, explore those for sure.

C-grunt
02-01-21, 17:06
The Super Sniper 10x is a great scope for 300 or 400 dollars. Id spend the extra 100 to get the side parallax over the rear option. Very durable and the ones Ive owned and used had great tracking and glass.

opngrnd
02-01-21, 17:16
Anything in the Vortex Viper line would do you well. Probably just north of your preferred price though. $500 is kind of the go/no go for a durable optic. You could get lucky under. But will be safe above that. If you have access to any of the pro deals, explore those for sure.

Are you referring to the PST line?

The Super Sniper 10x is a great scope for 300 or 400 dollars. Id spend the extra 100 to get the side parallax over the rear option. Very durable and the ones Ive owned and used had great tracking and glass.

Thanks! I'll look at those.

SomeOtherGuy
02-01-21, 20:01
I'll second the SWFA SS. Fixed 10x is $299 or so and very durable. I actually prefer the rear focus - it means one less glass element, resulting in better optics, and potentially more ruggedness. The SWFA SS 3-9x42 is also an excellent scope.

opngrnd
02-01-21, 20:03
I'll second the SWFA SS. Fixed 10x is $299 or so and very durable. I actually prefer the rear focus - it means one less glass element, resulting in better optics, and potentially more ruggedness. The SWFA SS 3-9x42 is also an excellent scope.

Thanks for the input. I'll look at them again.

mack7.62
02-01-21, 21:04
For the money the Primary Arms are hard to beat, Mrgunsngear and Garand Thumb have done lots of reviews on youtube along with many others. One of the big selling points with them is the ACSS recticle, yeah they are made in China but since they are our new overlords now that might earn you some points.

okie
02-01-21, 22:38
I've always heard good things about SWFA. And Leupold is a sure thing, and they have many options in your price range.

gunnerblue
02-02-21, 00:17
Is there a basic sub-$500 scope that holds up to regular use on 308 bolts guns, ARs, etc? How do Super Sniper and Primary Arms do? I don't feel like budgeting $1500 for every concept I feel like trying, and I've had exceptionally bad luck with mid-range scopes that try to pack features into a budget version of a nightforce. Sometimes I'd just like a reliable 3x9 or 4x12 that can be thrown on a rifle, sighted in, and just shot with.

SWFA fixed classic series or a gently used 3-9 HD. There are few scopes more durable with repeatable adjustments at any price range.

Eurodriver
02-02-21, 09:07
For the money the Primary Arms are hard to beat, Mrgunsngear and Garand Thumb have done lots of reviews on youtube along with many others. One of the big selling points with them is the ACSS recticle, yeah they are made in China but since they are our new overlords now that might earn you some points.

Have either of those guys ever reviewed anything and found it to be completely shitty?

docsherm
02-02-21, 09:43
Have either of those guys ever reviewed anything and found it to be completely shitty?

NOPE........

mack7.62
02-02-21, 09:54

Don't know. But here is Garand Thumb testing the PA 1x6 on a SCAR 17, ran 2,000 rounds through it and did have some issues losing zero and denting tube after dropping rifle on a pile of rocks or tossing rifle 6 feet. So he does report on what he finds, so the PA is not in the same class as a Nightforce or Razor but the real question is how would other budget scopes hold up to the same type of abuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ppOlhswG8o

Also 9-Hole Reviews has a lot of videos using the PA's and comparing them to higher priced scopes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/9HoleReviews/videos

I do believe for the money the PA's hold their own and are better then many (most?) of the low priced options, you also get the ACSS which is a great reticle.

everready73
02-02-21, 11:29

Dont get me wrong these guys have relationships and would like to keep the gravy train running, but Garandthumb has blasted some products on reviews and does talk about all the negatives of a product. I trust him more than some, but always watch with skepticism. He blasted a desert tech gun in a review and the company actually made some changes because of it. There was another where he did the same but i cant remember the gun

C-grunt
02-02-21, 17:23
Another option is the Nikon Black FX1000 line. Nikon recently got out of the scope business so these scopes are highly discounted. I recently picked up a 4-16 FFP MRAD scope for around 450 that was 900 dollars a couple years ago. Only real downside us not knowing how Nikon will treat any future issues, but they said they will honor their warranty.

AndyLate
02-03-21, 07:30

The Viper HS 2.5x10-44 plex reticle is normally available for less then $400, but apparently are "seasonal" or at least not always available. I have no complaints about the one I have mounted on a 30-06. Capped turrets though. The same scope with BDC reticle is $500 and readily available https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750715-REG/Vortex_VHS_4303_Viper_HS_2_5_10x44_Riflescope.html

I am certain you can get a better price if you can join their Pro membership. If you want target turrets, MOA/MRAD reticles, etc, the Viper HS and PST have them, but are over your $500 limit.

Andy

opngrnd
02-03-21, 09:12
The Viper HS 2.5x10-44 plex reticle is normally available for less then $400, but apparently are "seasonal" or at least not always available. I have no complaints about the one I have mounted on a 30-06. Capped turrets though. The same scope with BDC reticle is $500 and readily available https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750715-REG/Vortex_VHS_4303_Viper_HS_2_5_10x44_Riflescope.html

I am certain you can get a better price if you can join their Pro membership. If you want target turrets, MOA/MRAD reticles, etc, the Viper HS and PST have them, but are over your $500 limit.

Andy

I had a HS 2.5-10, and liked it enough that I miss that particular one(I traded it for moving help). Both of my HS-Ts failed, were sent back, and eventually sold with full disclosure. I still have a Gen2 PST that I'm watching very closely,. If it breaks, it'll be replaced with something different. For current projects, I'm just looking for simple scopes with proven track records.

TexasAggie2005
02-03-21, 10:46

I have one of these (rear parallax) on a Ruger 6.5cm. I like it for a basic non-illuminated optic.

SomeOtherGuy
02-03-21, 13:24
Another option is the Nikon Black FX1000 line. Nikon recently got out of the scope business so these scopes are highly discounted. I recently picked up a 4-16 FFP MRAD scope for around 450 that was 900 dollars a couple years ago. Only real downside us not knowing how Nikon will treat any future issues, but they said they will honor their warranty.

These were a crazy good deal about 12 months ago when Natchez and Eurooptic had them in the $400 range. It seems the prices have crept back up and are now closer to $600, which is no longer a great deal for a discontinued scope with iffy future support.

I've also read that Nikon said they will honor the warranty. Important note: Nikon had a poor reputation for warranty service until just the last few years. Nikon makes great cameras but their scopes are a mixed bag - I've owned several, two were defective (both premium - Monarch-X and Monarch 7). I still like my other Monarch-X given what I paid and when, and the Black X1000 was a good deal at $400, but be wary of spending too much on a Nikon.

Vortex has been mentioned. The Razor lines are good, anything below that is iffy at best. I have a PST gen2 that seems good, but the price is bumping up towards higher end stuff. Personally I would skip HS, gen 1 PST, and anything Chinese.

Primary Arms makes good RDS for the price, but IMHO they are not in the league for pricier optics. SWFA actually is, and in fact aimed too high a decade ago with their SS-HD line, all of which were/are good scopes.

Given current sale prices someone may mention Crimson Trace and Brownells. I had one Crimson Trace 5-series and it was junk in multiple ways. Haven't had the Brownells but it appears to be almost the same scope, from the same off-brand (albeit Japanese) maker.

Apart from the SWFA SS models, you can find some good deals on the Burris XTR gen2 and the Bushnell Elite Tactical (made in Japan at LOW) scope right now.

opngrnd
02-03-21, 14:36
These were a crazy good deal about 12 months ago when Natchez and Eurooptic had them in the $400 range. It seems the prices have crept back up and are now closer to $600, which is no longer a great deal for a discontinued scope with iffy future support.

I've also read that Nikon said they will honor the warranty. Important note: Nikon had a poor reputation for warranty service until just the last few years. Nikon makes great cameras but their scopes are a mixed bag - I've owned several, two were defective (both premium - Monarch-X and Monarch 7). I still like my other Monarch-X given what I paid and when, and the Black X1000 was a good deal at $400, but be wary of spending too much on a Nikon.

Vortex has been mentioned. The Razor lines are good, anything below that is iffy at best. I have a PST gen2 that seems good, but the price is bumping up towards higher end stuff. Personally I would skip HS, gen 1 PST, and anything Chinese.

Primary Arms makes good RDS for the price, but IMHO they are not in the league for pricier optics. SWFA actually is, and in fact aimed too high a decade ago with their SS-HD line, all of which were/are good scopes.

Given current sale prices someone may mention Crimson Trace and Brownells. I had one Crimson Trace 5-series and it was junk in multiple ways. Haven't had the Brownells but it appears to be almost the same scope, from the same off-brand (albeit Japanese) maker.

Apart from the SWFA SS models, you can find some good deals on the Burris XTR gen2 and the Bushnell Elite Tactical (made in Japan at LOW) scope right now.

Thank you.

fedupflyer
02-03-21, 14:49

I will be another to put the SWFA SS line a thumbs up.
Good scope for the money.

MWAG19919
02-03-21, 14:58

GT has, most notably with the LWRC SMG45, but sometimes with optics. And he discloses his relationship with companies before every video which I appreciate.

marsh1
02-04-21, 09:37
Our name has come up several times. I just wanted to clarify a few things. We extensively test everything we come out with. You don't see shit reviews because we won't introduce a shit product. Our Plx scopes are made in the best top tier Japan OEM factory and have been for years. Our GLx 30mm scopes are out of the Philippines. We have a robust in house engineering dept. These Glx scopes have our patent pending steel on steel sealed bullet proof turret design. I am always here if you need any help with a PA optic or any of the other brands our .com sells.

everready73
02-04-21, 10:28
Our name has come up several times. I just wanted to clarify a few things. We extensively test everything we come out with. You don't see shit reviews because we won't introduce a shit product. Our Plx scopes are made in the best top tier Japan OEM factory and have been for years. Our GLx 30mm scopes are out of the Philippines. We have a robust in house engineering dept. These Glx scopes have our patent pending steel on steel sealed bullet proof turret design. I am always here if you need any help with a PA optic or any of the other brands our .com sells.

@marsh1

Are the newer GLX 1-6 and 1-10 i saw in you marketing material made in the Philippines? I have been waiting on the 1-6 for a while and cant wait to get my hands on it

marsh1
02-04-21, 10:33
@marsh1

Are the newer GLX 1-6 and 1-10 i saw in you marketing material made in the Philippines? I have been waiting on the 1-6 for a while and cant wait to get my hands on it

The 1-6X is Philippines. 1-10X is Japan. Both are probably mid year since the factories are so backordered right now.

opngrnd
02-04-21, 13:48

Your 2.5-10 holds a lot of interest for me. It's on the short list for items I'm considering for a simple bolt gun, as is the SWFA.

Black_Sheep
02-04-21, 14:43
After watching the WLS torture test video of the Swampfox Arrowhead On YouTube I pulled the trigger on one of their 1-8x54 LPVO’s. It fits your budget and with all it’s features it seems like a good value for the price point. They also offer some conventional type scopes with similar features, they are worth looking into before making a final decision.

MC_Oper8or
02-04-21, 16:53

1-6 or 1-8 GLX would be my interest. Something that competes with a PST or P4xi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBRSarge
02-05-21, 00:35
In regards to Primary Arms,

I ordered one of their scopes several years ago and later had trouble with it not holding zero. I emailed them and could not find my original purchase date, but figured it was out of warranty but maybe could be fixed. They found the date, buit it was about a year out of warranty. Still, they said to send it to them. I did. They sent me a new scope with which I have not had any trouble.

Diesel79
02-07-21, 11:59
I may have missed it, but what will the price be on the new GLX 1-10? I keep going back and forth on a LPVO or a Aimpoint CompM5.

I had a Aimpoint Pro and MRO on my old rifle. Maybe change it up and go away from a red dot style.

bigmatt
02-07-21, 20:05
I may have missed it, but what will the price be on the new GLX 1-10? I keep going back and forth on a LPVO or a Aimpoint CompM5.

I had a Aimpoint Pro and MRO on my old rifle. Maybe change it up and go away from a red dot style.

I don't think it has been posted here, but Marshall posted some where else that the GLx 1-6 will be $599 and the GLx 1-10 will be $999.

Diesel79
02-07-21, 20:19
I don't think it has been posted here, but Marshall posted some where else that the GLx 1-6 will be $599 and the GLx 1-10 will be $999.

Thanks!

marsh1
02-08-21, 08:22

Correct! Both feature our steel on steel sealed turrets that allow for exposed or caped use. .1mil clicks. The 1-10X in the top of the GLx tier. Made in Japan with ED glass. 1-6X made in the Philippines.

everready73
02-08-21, 08:46
Correct! Both feature our steel on steel sealed turrets that allow for exposed or caped use. .1mil clicks. The 1-10X in the top of the GLx tier. Made in Japan with ED glass. 1-6X made in the Philippines.

I ill be getting the 1-6 over the pst 2 for the reticle. Would you say that the reticle brightness would be similar to the pst?

marsh1
02-08-21, 09:05
I ill be getting the 1-6 over the pst 2 for the reticle. Would you say that the reticle brightness would be similar to the pst?

Not quite as bright as the center dot on the PST. Very different technology. That is a SPF with wire reticle only illuminating center dot. Ours is a FFP with more complicated reticle. These are new FFP specific ACSS reticles that will make picking up the aiming point at 1X very fast.

VIP3R 237
02-08-21, 09:46

How does it compare to the platinum 1-8x as far as glass quality?

uffdaphil
02-08-21, 10:35
I’d consider the Trijicon 3-9 Aimpoint. You can find them for sub $600 new. A demo on sample list for less if your lucky.

marsh1
02-09-21, 15:20
How does it compare to the platinum 1-8x as far as glass quality?

The Plx Series (we used to call them Platinum) is a tier above.

I am editing my response because the more I test the new GLx 1-6X the better this all new optical design looks.

LOBO
02-12-21, 00:27
Leupold Vari X-II 3-9x50 is in your budget and are hard to beat.

Wow
05-16-21, 20:00
The Plx Series (we used to call them Platinum) is a tier above.

I am editing my response because the more I test the new GLx 1-6X the better this all new optical design looks.

What happened to the new 1-10 LVPO? I don't see it in the catalogue for 2021. Did it get pushed back?
I really want the 1-8plx but if a new 1-10plx is releasing this year I'd rather wait for that.
Big fan

everready73
05-16-21, 20:14
What happened to the new 1-10 LVPO? I don't see it in the catalogue for 2021. Did it get pushed back?
I really want the 1-8plx but if a new 1-10plx is releasing this year I'd rather wait for that.
Big fan

Still coming. Marshall has been commenting on a long thread about it on tos. I think late summer/fall is when they are expecting it to drop

Wow
05-16-21, 20:21
Still coming. Marshall has been commenting on a long thread about it on tos. I think late summer/fall is when they are expecting it to drop

What is tos?
Do you have a link to said thread?
Is the -10 a PLX or a SLX scope?

everready73
05-17-21, 11:27
What is tos?
Do you have a link to said thread?
Is the -10 a PLX or a SLX scope?

I will send you a PM. The new 1-10 is GLX line but it is made in Japan. The lines are tiered classic series, SLX, GLX, PLX with PLX being highest. The tier doesnt neccassarily mean where they are manufactured IE the new GLX 1-6 is phillipines , the 1-10 is Japan. The GLX 2x is china but really damn good

JediGuy
05-17-21, 12:15
I am way outside my lane here, but everything I’ve ever read about optics is that better optic quality equals better view at distance equals high quality, lower magnification may still be better than lesser quality, slightly higher magnification. I think PA alluded to this in a post, where the 1-8x PLx is suggested as being head and shoulders above the GLx line.

Wow
05-17-21, 12:20
I will send you a PM. The new 1-10 is GLX line but it is made in Japan. The lines are tiered classic series, SLX, GLX, PLX with PLX being highest. The tier doesnt neccassarily mean where they are manufactured IE the new GLX 1-6 is phillipines , the 1-10 is Japan. The GLX 2x is china but really damn good

Looks like the new 1-10 might be made in JOL and not LOW. Not sure if the other PLX is JOL or LOW. I imagine it must be LOW at a price of $1300 though. This new Glx might only be $1000 so probably a tier lower in terms of glass. But I can't confirm any of this.

This is what I have gather about the scope so far.

-Glx line with Glx pricing (so cheap??)
-Made in Japan
-ED Glass
-Turrets are steel on steel (whatever that means). Can be capped or exposed
-JOL manufacuring and not LOW (rumor)
-Auto-On Illumination
-daylight bright reticle
-23.3oz
-Griffin MIL and Raptor reticles
-$999 (Not sure if just into price or also regular price)
-30mm tube
-mid to late 2021 release date, nothing firm though