PDA

View Full Version : Computer chip shortage affecting Ford F-150 truck production...

Slater
02-04-21, 22:24
Can't recall this happening before. Or has it?

"DETROIT — Ford Motor is significantly cutting production of its highly profitable F-150 pickup trucks due to an ongoing semiconductor chip shortage plaguing the global automotive industry.

The automaker said Thursday that its Dearborn Truck Plant in Michigan will drop to one shift from three for a week beginning Monday, while truck production at its Kansas City Assembly Plant in Missouri will drop to two shifts from three. Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker said both plants are expected to return to three shifts the week of Feb. 15."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/04/ford-forced-to-cut-pickup-production-due-to-semiconductor-shortage-.html

Gabriel556
02-04-21, 23:44
I heard today that this is a parts constraint for my company as well and Cummins is affected too. Something about the push for consumer electronics and reduced demand for automotive needs. I don’t know those details yet.

Arik
02-05-21, 04:09
I don't know if this is related but it's hard to get parts for any car right now and it's all just random. I needed breaks, rotors, front calipers and sway bar bushings. Nothing crazy. Took me a month to collect it and I still don't have the rear bushings.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Straight Shooter
02-05-21, 07:15
I work for a MAJOR off-road/ATV manufacturer here in Huntsville.
We worked 24/7/365 from March until last Christmas. Came back after the New Year, and we are having a HUGE problem getting parts. Tonight will be the first Friday Ive been off in nearly a year..off all weekend. I dont know how to act! We were off two unscheduled days already this week because of it. Our vehicles are in UNREAL DEMAND..as we can never catch up the backlog we have...not possible. My Aunt/Uncle have a local apliance store..they CANNOT get hardly anything...even parts. they sell everything they get.
Last Saturday I was getting a haircut, and an older gent across from me was telling that he had been looking for, and trying to buy a new CATAMARAN...had looked all over Middle TN/North AL...was told there is a 5-6 month backlog on those.
SOMETHING is & has been happening, what with all these big ticket items being sold out.
Are people just saying SCREW IT...and going in debt or what? I know everyone aint broke, but they way we've worked and churned out products, only to literally get further & further behind, I cant figure what people are thinking.
Im glad tho, for the job..but MAN has it been rough.

CRAMBONE
02-05-21, 07:15
I don't know if this is related but it's hard to get parts for any car right now and it's all just random. I needed breaks, rotors, front calipers and away bar bushings. Nothing crazy. Took me a month to collect it and I still don't have the rear bushings.

Same here. I had to do the rear brakes on my truck a few months ago. Dodge dealers and online Mopar stores were a month to month and a half from getting the rear rotors. Took almost a week to get the rear calipers.

Arik
02-05-21, 07:58
I work for a MAJOR off-road/ATV manufacturer here in Huntsville.
We worked 24/7/365 from March until last Christmas. Came back after the New Year, and we are having a HUGE problem getting parts. Tonight will be the first Friday Ive been off in nearly a year..off all weekend. I dont know how to act! We were off two unscheduled days already this week because of it. Our vehicles are in UNREAL DEMAND..as we can never catch up the backlog we have...not possible. My Aunt/Uncle have a local apliance store..they CANNOT get hardly anything...even parts. they sell everything they get.
Last Saturday I was getting a haircut, and an older gent across from me was telling that he had been looking for, and trying to buy a new CATAMARAN...had looked all over Middle TN/North AL...was told there is a 5-6 month backlog on those.
SOMETHING is & has been happening, what with all these big ticket items being sold out.
Are people just saying SCREW IT...and going in debt or what? I know everyone aint broke, but they way we've worked and churned out products, only to literally get further & further behind, I cant figure what people are thinking.
Im glad tho, for the job..but MAN has it been rough.Yes it's definitely weird. There's not enough of everything and everything is in demand, or at least it feels like it.

I'm wondering how much of it is simply because factories (mostly in China) are running at less than full capacity and how much, if any, of it is done as a retaliation.

But still the demand for stuff is unreal.

Co-gnARR
02-05-21, 08:05
Where are these chips produced? Now that Trump is out, China flexing on Joe seems right in line with their MO.

Uni-Vibe
02-05-21, 09:03
Where are these chips produced? Now that Trump is out, China flexing on Joe seems right in line with their MO.

And they'd choose an obscure part in one model of truck to do it? I'm guessing it's a Covid issue they don't want to admit.

Besides, Trump had 4 years to bring production of F-150 chips home. didn't happen.

Sort of like primers are the limiting factor on ammo production. Shortage on a small component causes a halt to production.

Slater
02-05-21, 09:11
My electronics-fu is weak. Is this a generic, multi-application chip that's used in numerous platforms or is it designed specifically for the F-150?

Gabriel556
02-05-21, 09:13
Some of this supply chain stuff trickles down over months because many small components go into bigger parts. Often those small parts are made by many suppliers and if those rely on parts from China(many do) then boom. Global issue. Also, bringing things across the border seems to be impacted if it’s coming from Europe or Canada. China, South America, Mexico, not really impacted from what I can see.

Gabriel556
02-05-21, 09:16
My electronics-fu is weak. Is this a generic, multi-application chip that's used in numerous platforms or is it designed specifically for the F-150?

This is regarding generic chipsets used in multitudes of components, from automotive, to residential electronic devices. But from what my sources at work are telling me, they are being reallocated to consumer electronics since everyone is working from home.

02-05-21, 09:29
Also, bringing things across the border seems to be impacted if it’s coming from Europe or Canada. China, South America, Mexico, not really impacted from what I can see.

Is this because first world (Canada, Europe) shit costs more, so there’s less volume due to demand being focused on the price advantage that cheap labor (China, Latin America) brings? So What other factors are involved?

I’d be stoked if someone would go to war with China’s shipping. Like maybe a carte blanche’d privateer armada. You listening, Japan?

Arik
02-05-21, 09:48
And they'd choose an obscure part in one model of truck to do it? I'm guessing it's a Covid issue they don't want to admit.

Besides, Trump had 4 years to bring production of F-150 chips home. didn't happen.

Sort of like primers are the limiting factor on ammo production. Shortage on a small component causes a halt to production.The article says....

"....due to an ongoing semiconductor chip shortage plaguing the global automotive industry."

“We are working closely with suppliers to address potential production constraints tied to the global semiconductor shortage and working to prioritize key vehicle lines for production, making the most of our semiconductor allocation,”

"Semiconductors are extremely important components of new vehicles for areas ranging from infotainment systems to more traditional parts such as power steering. They’re also used in consumer electronics."

"Ford’s confirmed plans come a day after General Motors said it would take down production next week at four assembly plants in Fairfax, Kansas; Ingersoll, Ontario, and San Luis Potosi, Mexico. GM will also run a plant in South Korea at half capacity that week."

That's the GLOBAL Automotive Industry. Not just in one car. GM is also taking production down.

Gabriel556
02-05-21, 09:56
Is this because first world (Canada, Europe) shit costs more, so there’s less volume due to demand being focused on the price advantage that cheap labor (China, Latin America) brings? So What other factors are involved?

I’d be stoked if someone would go to war with China’s shipping. Like maybe a carte blanche’d privateer armada. You listening, Japan?

When you can pay your factory workers the equivalent of $500 a year (or whatever it actually is, I don’t know), you can buy whatever recycled materials from the country you are selling too for pennies a ton, you can use whatever you want in the manufacturing process, and QC needs a sub-3% failure rate, you can make things stupid cheap.

It doesn’t help that we have to pay living wages, and many times union wages plus health insurance, pensions/retirements, for every step in the process. Throw in the “flu” and you have limited production, shipping, and gained control of world economies. Just wait til gas hits $4.50 a gallon and we are locked down due to the threat of civil unrest.

pag23
02-05-21, 12:33
I don't know if this is related but it's hard to get parts for any car right now and it's all just random. I needed breaks, rotors, front calipers and sway bar bushings. Nothing crazy. Took me a month to collect it and I still don't have the rear bushings.

Did you try RockAuto or carpart.com?

Arik
02-05-21, 12:36
Did you try RockAuto or carpart.com?Yes.

I got everything fixed. It wasn't an emergency, only strange that random stuff was unavailable at random places

kerplode
02-05-21, 12:48
I design electronics for a major tech corp. Many of the components we use are currently running up to 30 weeks lead time (i.e. if you ordered today, you'd get parts in September) due to unprecedented demand coupled with intermittent fab shutdowns due to the 'rona.

It's causing major production issues for lots of industries.

markm
02-05-21, 14:30
Too many chips in too many idiotically over-gadgetized snow flake mobiles. Shit... they make pickup trucks with automated tail gates. Can you imagine being that lazy of a piece of shit????

Buy an old muscle car and youtube the old points ignition or HEI. :cool:

Gabriel556
02-05-21, 15:00
Mark, I get what your saying. Some of it is excessive in my mind. But I don’t have to use it all. But my father needs some of the automated snow flake shit to get stuff out of his truck bed. Hell, he still falls all the time because of his bad leg but the running boards that drop down further for him and tuck up so he can still be in the field help him. I find the electric tailgate release and keyless entry fantastic when I’ve been trying to get my young kids in their car carriers in the vehicle when the weather sucks. And the cameras kept me from backing over the neighbor kid when he popped out from behind a bush and walked up to the side of the truck (he was shorter than the windows).

My wife’s SUV came standard with a FLIR night vision camera. The software in it identified a potential pedestrian dressed in all black walking along a dark narrow road by our house once. It gave us a couple second heads up before we could get a visual. I didn’t hit them, and my kids in the back didn’t have to see me hit him either.

Guess by your standards, my dad is a lazy piece of shit? Or is he just handicapped?

Co-gnARR
02-05-21, 20:18
[QUOTE=Gabriel556;2926435}

Guess by your standards, my dad is a lazy piece of shit? Or is he just handicapped?[/QUOTE]

You are implying one person's comments in general are targeting your very specific case, with out that person having any possible reason to know your own situation. Please don't start a troll fest.

GH41
02-06-21, 06:43
Too many chips in too many idiotically over-gadgetized snow flake mobiles. Shit... they make pickup trucks with automated tail gates. Can you imagine being that lazy of a piece of shit????

Buy an old muscle car and youtube the old points ignition or HEI. :cool:

In 2001 I bought a Road King and the first thing I did was swap out the fuel injection system for a carburetor. It was easy because the year before bikes were carbureted and most of the wiring harness was the same. I know where you are coming from.

GH41
02-06-21, 07:10
OK guys... Put on your tinfoil hats. I was in my local lawn/landscaping equipment sales/service and rental store this week. A distributer's salesman was discussing market conditions with my friend the owner before taking an upcoming order. The salesman said he expected shortages of garden and pressure washer hoses due to an explosion in a major polyurethane production plant. Googled "Polyurethane Plant Explosion" and the search results revealed many recent plastic/chemical plant explosions. What's the chance it isn't coincidental?

AndyLate
02-06-21, 07:12
Mark, I get what your saying. Some of it is excessive in my mind. But I don’t have to use it all. But my father needs some of the automated snow flake shit to get stuff out of his truck bed. Hell, he still falls all the time because of his bad leg but the running boards that drop down further for him and tuck up so he can still be in the field help him. I find the electric tailgate release and keyless entry fantastic when I’ve been trying to get my young kids in their car carriers in the vehicle when the weather sucks. And the cameras kept me from backing over the neighbor kid when he popped out from behind a bush and walked up to the side of the truck (he was shorter than the windows).

My wife’s SUV came standard with a FLIR night vision camera. The software in it identified a potential pedestrian dressed in all black walking along a dark narrow road by our house once. It gave us a couple second heads up before we could get a visual. I didn’t hit them, and my kids in the back didn’t have to see me hit him either.

Guess by your standards, my dad is a lazy piece of shit? Or is he just handicapped?

Back up cameras are a no brainer that would have saved a friend's grandson and I am glad they are required now. Carburetors suck. The rest of the technology is meh.

Arik
02-06-21, 07:53

Guess by your standards, my dad is a lazy piece of shit? Or is he just handicapped?This is like my friend's grandpa back about 25 years ago buying a newer car. Salesman tried to upsell him the automatic trunk unlock feature (new tech at the time). He asks the salesman....is someone going to carry my luggage and groceries for me? Is someone going to get the spare tire out for me? If I have to do all that myself then I can use a key to unlock a trunk

BangBang77
02-06-21, 09:40
I manage capital engineering projects globally for one of the largest food and pharmaceutical grade packaging companies in the world.

Our products are resin based polymers and foil to poly laminates. If your food comes in it, we make it. Rigids, pouches, cups, bowls, shrink bags and films, etc, etc, etc. On the production side of the company, resin supply has retracted and price has increased across the board, not because of production plant explosions, but due to Covid workforce shortages in 2020, logistics and transportation costs, and downstream supply chain interruption of the resin production as a result of the hurricanes in Texas a few years ago.

The majority of my projects are for production machinery and asset installations, from stand-alones to complete lines and departments. Every single project of mine for 2020 and now 2021 has seen or is seeing delays due to electronic components coming out of Asia, China specifically. We are paying premiums to get components shipped in reasonable timelines, but still cannot overcome the shortages and delays.

There's no grand conspiracy to reduce supply by sabotage. Simple supply and demand. Tree hugging companies have realized that paper straws and packaging is not a sufficient vapor barrier and cannot protect food from pathogens and viruses to the same level as poly based materials. Covid has changed the way parents feed their family by eating at home, hence smaller quantity food items being sold in family sized packages versus the wholesale sized quantities that are sold to restaurants. Hence the shortage and delay. Everything on this planet used poly based components, especially electrical components, chips, wires, transfofrmers, PLCs, VFDs, controllers, etc.

That's why you can't find anything anywhere, i.e. commercial grade chainsaws, trimmers, automobiles, appliances, etc, etc, etc.

MikhailBarracuda91
02-06-21, 12:39
I manage capital engineering projects globally for one of the largest food and pharmaceutical grade packaging companies in the world.

Our products are resin based polymers and foil to poly laminates. If your food comes in it, we make it. Rigids, pouches, cups, bowls, shrink bags and films, etc, etc, etc. On the production side of the company, resin supply has retracted and price has increased across the board, not because of production plant explosions, but due to Covid workforce shortages in 2020, logistics and transportation costs, and downstream supply chain interruption of the resin production as a result of the hurricanes in Texas a few years ago.

The majority of my projects are for production machinery and asset installations, from stand-alones to complete lines and departments. Every single project of mine for 2020 and now 2021 has seen or is seeing delays due to electronic components coming out of Asia, China specifically. We are paying premiums to get components shipped in reasonable timelines, but still cannot overcome the shortages and delays.

There's no grand conspiracy to reduce supply by sabotage. Simple supply and demand. Tree hugging companies have realized that paper straws and packaging is not a sufficient vapor barrier and cannot protect food from pathogens and viruses to the same level as poly based materials. Covid has changed the way parents feed their family by eating at home, hence smaller quantity food items being sold in family sized packages versus the wholesale sized quantities that are sold to restaurants. Hence the shortage and delay. Everything on this planet used poly based components, especially electrical components, chips, wires, transfofrmers, PLCs, VFDs, controllers, etc.

That's why you can't find anything anywhere, i.e. commercial grade chainsaws, trimmers, automobiles, appliances, etc, etc, etc.I hope you stick around in here, you seem to know more about this pandemic than me lol. There's so many great minds here on M4C!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk