PDA

View Full Version : The Expanse S5

WillBrink
02-05-21, 10:22
Finished that last night. I thought S5 was better than last season, not quite as good as 1-3. There was a departure from the books as a major character was written off due apparently to some bad offs screen behaviors. Bringing "Peaches" back was confusing as she was a fairly minor character and I didn't recall she and Amos being all that close. Holden does not actually get much airtime in this season, but comes off as more the Boy Scout character than usual I thought. The space Marine "Bobby" is a cute as ever. I suspect with the main character gone, she may get slotted in for that part. A -

Anyone finish the season?

Alex V
02-05-21, 10:30
I started watching because of your recommendation. Season 1-3 were AWESOME. 4, was okay. About half way through S5 and I'm not sure what to think so far. Naomi is starting to piss me off.

skatz11
02-05-21, 10:41
I enjoyed this season. This has been one of my absolute favorite shows going back to season 1.

They’ve done a great job staying true to the overall plot and themes of the source material.

In the later books both Bobbie and Peaches are fairly significant characters.

The big departure from the source material is the S5 death of one of core Roci crew. That was due to bad behavior by the actor. Apparently he's a scumbag in real life. I'm glad they dealt with it on screen for the characters sake.

The stroke death was a nice touch for book fans since that's how Fred Johnson died in the books compared to his death this season on the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crosseyedshooter
02-05-21, 10:53
The Expanse is my favorite show in recent memory. (Last favorite was Game of Thrones up until Season 5 or so). Maybe OP can put a spoiler warning in the title cuz, yeah.

I knew about the rumors of bad behavior so the character death was a bit comical for me. My friend, who didn’t know about the off-screen rumors, found it shocking, tragic and poetic. A pilot who ran from his family and duty as a Martian found a new family and sense of duty with the Roci crew. After failing to make amends with his old family and trying to save Mars’ honor, he dies of a known risk from numerous high-G burns, while trying to save a member of his new family.

WillBrink
02-05-21, 10:56
The Expanse is my favorite show in recent memory. (Last favorite was Game of Thrones up until Season 5 or so). Maybe OP can put a spoiler warning in the title cuz, yeah.

I knew about the rumors of bad behavior so the character death was a bit comical for me. My friend, who didn’t know about the off-screen rumors, found it shocking, tragic and poetic. A pilot who ran from his family and duty as a Martian found a new family and sense of duty with the Roci crew. After failing to make amends with his old family and trying to save Mars’ honor, he dies of a known risk from numerous high-G burns, while trying to save a member of his new family.

I was not awares so that one caught me off guard big time and I went and looked to see why. Of all the main and semi main characters, was not who I was expecting to go.

crosseyedshooter
02-05-21, 12:40
I was not awares so that one caught me off guard big time and I went and looked to see why. Of all the main and semi main characters, was not who I was expecting to go.

Yes, my friend said that, for him, it rivaled GoT in unexpected main character deaths and he had to take a moment to absorb what had happened. I'm a bit dismayed that I had already caught some of the rumors on Youtube and didn't experience that part of the story as the writers had brilliantly executed.

Ned Christiansen
02-05-21, 13:45
One word: megabinge.

At first I thought many or most of the actors were Springboks but then I realized that while some may be, I think the series just has really good, imaginative language coaching staff. David Strathairn in particular-- remembering some of his previous roles, knowing he's an American-- has done excellent acting and language work here. To me the Belter accent is South African with a melange of Jamiacn / Haitian patois and a few other things yet to be guessed. Any other comments / ideas on the language? I think it adds a ton.

Carry on, Pashangwala.

WillBrink
02-05-21, 13:47
Yes, my friend said that, for him, it rivaled GoT in unexpected main character deaths and he had to take a moment to absorb what had happened. I'm a bit dismayed that I had already caught some of the rumors on Youtube and didn't experience that part of the story as the writers had brilliantly executed.

I intentionally avoid/ignore anything connected to a series I'm watching until it's over for that reason. Total blackout until season is over, which is how I found out he'd been written off due to D bag like behaviors as I looked around YT for some S5 recaps and such.

Blow a gig on a top rated show, and likely not ever work again, or at least for a very long time. Bad move dude.

rushca01
02-05-21, 15:24
I started watching because of your recommendation. Season 1-3 were AWESOME. 4, was okay. About half way through S5 and I'm not sure what to think so far. Naomi is starting to piss me off.

Agree, 1-3 were amazing and I even liked S4, Amos is my favorite character by far. I just couldn’t get into S5...felt to slow for me, perhaps because I couldn’t binge it.

BWT
02-05-21, 15:44
I enjoyed this show a lot.

I’d agree. So, you guys may know this - may not. The show was run by the Syfy channel for season 1-3 and then taken over by Amazon season 4-5.

I think you can feel that difference in the content and I do like it less now than the first seasons.

Shows change. On the one hand I felt like they were on an escalating event super highway. Now they’re all about just relationships and not the actual universe. The cast felt like they were part of the show and now I feel like they are the show.

I don’t care for this change. I still enjoy the medium and will probably watch the next season.

Just my .02$.

God Bless,

Brandon

Honu
02-05-21, 16:33
Agree with BWT above

It does seem when another network takes over things change often not for the better they seem to take a huge hit then kinda recover BUT never recover to what it was

Still better then most of the other idiocy crap out there today :)

rushca01
02-05-21, 16:59
On the flip side....it was cancelled from the syfy network and Amazon picked it up...so silver lining is at least we still get to enjoy the seasons made on amazon, something better than nothing?

vicious_cb
02-05-21, 17:22
Finished that last night. I thought S5 was better than last season, not quite as good as 1-3. There was a departure from the books as a major character was written off due apparently to some bad offs screen behaviors. Bringing "Peaches" back was confusing as she was a fairly minor character and I didn't recall she and Amos being all that close. Holden does not actually get much airtime in this season, but comes off as more the Boy Scout character than usual I thought. The space Marine "Bobby" is a cute as ever. I suspect with the main character gone, she may get slotted in for that part. A -

Anyone finish the season?

Its was amazing for the the first 4 episodes then it went full Woke garbage with entire episodes dedicated to Naomi. They made Alex go out like bitch because he got #metoo'd IRL.
Drummer who was a total badass who shot people in the face, they turned into an emotional tampon lesbo. Holden the main character became a background character in his own show(cause Strait white male). At least Amos is still badass.

The Expanse was THE best scifi show in the last 10 years and it looks like they're going to destroy it by making it go woke which makes no sense since it did diversity right, it was built into the universe itself without beating your over the head with it. Expect this crap from every show from now on.

Honu
02-05-21, 20:52
Its was amazing for the the first 4 episodes then it went full Woke garbage with entire episodes dedicated to Naomi. They made Alex go out like bitch because he got #metoo'd IRL.
Drummer who was a total badass who shot people in the face, they turned into an emotional tampon lesbo. Holden the main character became a background character in his own show(cause Strait white male). At least Amos is still badass.

The Expanse was THE best scifi show in the last 10 years and it looks like they're going to destroy it by making it go woke which makes no sense since it did diversity right since it was built into the universe itself without beating your over the head with it. Expect this crap from every show from now on.

the woke thing seems to happen and why they often take a hit I feel
amazon thinks HEY huge audience I can try to indoctrinate that will watch for sure

Vgex2
02-06-21, 00:24
I genuinely enjoyed seasons 1-3. Season 4 was trash. Did not, and will not, return for current/future seasons.

jbjh
02-06-21, 02:43

The Expanse was THE best scifi show in the last 10 years and it looks like they're going to destroy it by making it go woke which makes no sense since it did diversity right, it was built into the universe itself without beating your over the head with it. Expect this crap from every show from now on.

It’s not that far off from the books (recently finished the last one). But they are condensing 8 books into 6 seasons, so they’re jamming thru some stuff.

Drummer is funny because in the show she’s two different characters at different times from the books.

That said, Amazon isn’t doing a great job with it. It feels like the characters are running thru their dialogue in order to hit plot points instead of letting things happen. It’s the kind of mindless exposition that I hated editing when I cut TV - there’s no emotional component to it, just plot vomiting. I’m sure the studio gave script notes, and the writers jammed them in without reworking the story to fit (although to be fair, that’s a ton of writing).

And in the books, Avasarala is even funnier, and more foul mouthed.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Det-Sog
02-12-21, 21:35
Biggest series disappointment for me, ever. It was a shark jumping moment.

It has gotten much too "woke" for me. Now for the deal killer... I was stoked. They kept teasing that Naomi was going to eat it. I just can't take her constant whining and crying. I thought for sure she was done. Spaced herself. Nope. Doomed on a flying bomb. Nope. Spaced again... Nope. Still whining. Ten thousand years from now, Naomi will crawl out of the ashes of a nuclear holocaust with the roaches. She just won't shut up.

Instead, they wrote off one of my favorite characters. I can take another season of EITHER Holden's self rightfulness OR Naomi's constant whining. Not both. I'm out. Time to find something else.

vicious_cb
02-12-21, 21:57
It’s not that far off from the books (recently finished the last one). But they are condensing 8 books into 6 seasons, so they’re jamming thru some stuff.

I doubt the books had 5 chapters of Naomi gasping for air.

Det-Sog
02-12-21, 22:27
I doubt the books had 5 chapters of Naomi gasping for air.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/26/b3/3126b380dfcadac52cfe8ae920217f45.gif

bmg
02-14-21, 00:36
Agree, 1-3 were amazing and I even liked S4, Amos is my favorite character by far. I just couldn’t get into S5...felt to slow for me, perhaps because I couldn’t binge it.

Same for me, although I binged S5 and it was still crappy compared to the others.

Alex V
02-14-21, 09:35

Amos or Timmy as he shall not be called, is my favorite as well.

After seeing the spoiler here I really hoped it was Naomi who died. I just don’t see a reason for her character. She is just so annoying and makes me dislike a show I really like.

The kumbaya moment at the end was a little too gay for me, I’m glad it turned out to be premature.

I hope S6 gets back to S1-3 roots with lots of battles and killing.

vicious_cb
02-14-21, 18:23
Amos or Timmy as he shall not be called, is my favorite as well.

After seeing the spoiler here I really hoped it was Naomi who died. I just don’t see a reason for her character. She is just so annoying and makes me dislike a show I really like.

The kumbaya moment at the end was a little too gay for me, I’m glad it turned out to be premature.

I hope S6 gets back to S1-3 roots with lots of battles and killing.

Nope, once a show goes woke it doesnt go back. Its all downhill from here.

Alex V
02-14-21, 18:56
Nope, once a show goes woke it doesnt go back. Its all downhill from here.

A guy can dream...

Circle_10
02-15-21, 07:27
Minor spoilers ahead I guess.

The main problem I had with Season 5 is the clumsy way they dealt with Alex. Most of that is probably due to them having to go back in after filming had been completed and edit scenes and change dialogue. The result was jarring.
At least I’m assuming they had to go back during post-production and fix all that. I’m not 100% clear at what point during filming the news about Cas Anvar came out, but I was under the impression it was after filming had wrapped. If however, what we saw was actually what they originally shot than it was some pretty hamfisted shit.

I also disliked that chick crewmember that Drummer was involved with. Something about the character annoyed me. Shut up and stop trying to talk Drummer out of killing people.