PDA

View Full Version : School me on eotech holographic sights

Bread is People
02-06-21, 03:38
After using iron sights exclusively, I'm thinking of getting an eotech, but I really dont know a whole lot about them. Can y'all give me some pointers?
What should I be looking for, especially if trying to find one used? (probably will be looking on this board) Are fakes a big problem?
What are the differences between the models that eotech offers & which should I be going for?
It will be a holographic sight, by the way. I like the circle dot reticle style & as such, that's pretty much my only requirement.
I'm not trying to go after the most expensive one they offer, yet I'm aware they are on the high end of the spectrum of optics price wise.
I read a few articles about getting into AR optics & they basically said that eotech is the best for the circle dot style of reticle & since that's what I want, I may as well save up & get the best.
You get what you pay for.
All I do know about eotech is that they're pricey & the model 512 is the cheapest new. It also appears to be the largest one they still make. The rest of thier model line looks a lot smaller in size. It's not really a big deal to me though. A large field of view would also be nice.
Lastly, it's going to go on a 16" nothing fancy AR with a fixed front sight that I use for training & home defense.
What eotech model do you guys reccomend?
Thanks

P.S. - anybody have a used eotech they might want to sell me?
P.P.S - I was also looking at the holosun HS510C as an alternative as it has good reviews & isn't as pricey, but it's not truly holographic.

ggammell
02-06-21, 05:14
XPS or EXPS line. Difference is optic height. You want to stay in this series for the transverse battery. The old style batteries in line with recoil broke the contacts fairly regularly.
Night vision capable or not? Buttons on side or rear of optic.

Those are the choices you have to make.

They all work exactly the same. If you buy from a dealer or reputable source, fakes aren’t that much of an issue. If you buy from a private seller, Amazon or eBay you’re taking your chances.

RKB Armory
02-06-21, 11:06
Nobody has tried to sell us a fake, yet. Maybe we're not their target victim. Eotech's website has information about fakes.

I agree about the transverse battery recommendation. I would limit myself to the EXPS line because it has the built-in QR base at the right height.

We get Eotechs come through here fairly often, but they sell pretty quickly. We've never had one returned, so people seem to be happy.

ExplorinInTheWoods
02-21-21, 07:09
I have a personal xps and at work we have exps. The exps is higher and has the QD mount. It’s not crazy high like the new trend is but enough where a la5 or peq isn’t taking up most of your field of view.

matemike
02-21-21, 07:32
Would you consider Aimpoint? Their T1 or H1 are also top of the line RDO’s. They are a little lighter and slimmer than Eotechs and function a little easier IMO. Battery life is also probably a little better. All that comes with a little higher price.

The Eotech has a much larger FOV though.

02-21-21, 08:11
The latest EoTech weighs almost exactly twice as much as a T2/Scalarworks on my scale. Still less than a CompM4 or PRO. I don’t really notice, so I was quite surprised when I weighed it.

There is certainly a battery life difference, at least with the T2. Its only an issue for a HD or street cop gun, IMO.

Would you consider Aimpoint? Their T1 or H1 are also top of the line RDO’s. They are a little lighter and slimmer than Eotechs and function a little easier IMO. Battery life is also probably a little better. All that comes with a little higher price.

The Eotech has a much larger FOV though.

dwhitehorne
02-21-21, 16:06
Not a fan of Eotechs. We had 175+ of the 512 and 552 models in the rifle program at work. I had a whole drawer of dead ones. Alkaline batteries corroded all the time and killed them. Police rifles are usually stored vertically in patrol racks or rifle lockers. Of course at that angle any liquid leaking from the batteries goes straight into the electronics and kills the sight. I tried to get officers to run lithium or rechargeables but most bought the cheapest battery possible. Those stupid Energizer industrials that came in the Eotech box were the worst for leaking. Telling officers to pull their batteries at every rifle cleaning to check them really did nothing to help. Everyday at quals at least one officer had the batteries die during the qual course. The corrosion was the worst problem that killed them but I had at least 10 units have the glass reflector fall out and rattle around. A couple of others just stopped all together for some reason. After the 5 year warranty L3 communications wouldn't touch them.

During the time frame of the DoD settlement one of our SWAT officers ran into a L3 rep at a SWAT competition and complained about our Eotechs. The rep actually called me and I was able to send 20 units back to get refurbished. I sent mostly 552's in and got all 512 back. At least they worked again.

If you love the Eotech reticle you should get a model that runs 123 batteries. David

02-21-21, 16:20
Pulled out my M&P 15-22 today to do some rimfire shooting. Its got a very old longitudinal 2xAA battery EoTech in it. Wouldn’t turn on. Pulled the (lithium) batteries and the crazy spacer thingies and metal strip doodad that makes the series circuit all fell out in the grass. Put in fresh lithium batteries. Still wouldn’t turn on. Opened the battery compartment and screwed with the thingies and doodads, closed it up, and it powered up. Worked all day after that.

So, there’s that.

dwhitehorne
02-22-21, 07:21
Pulled the (lithium) batteries and the crazy spacer thingies and metal strip doodad that makes the series circuit all fell out in the grass.

Trying to get your average non-gun patrol officer to not loose those rubber spacers when changing batteries was quite frustrating. They would alway stick to the battery and officers would throw them in the trash with the battery without thinking of it. I use to carry a ziplock bag of them to the range every qual session. David

Mysteryman
02-22-21, 11:57
The best model is one made by Aimpoint.

chuckman
02-22-21, 13:09
The best thing about the EOTech is the reticle, and it can also be found on the MRO-HD, but it ain't cheap. I don't mind the EOTech; I had one issued for a while and it did what it was supposed to (518). I prefer the MRO over the T1/T2, and if I could afford it, I'd snatch up the MRO-HD for that reticle.

RHINOWSO
02-22-21, 15:27
I have a newer 518 with AA batteries and the riser. Only have it because they were on sale 2 years for $415 and I wanted to have one in the stable to get familiar with how they operate. It's on a training AR15 that sees periodic use, mainly with Wolf Steel, mostly for short range and reloading drills. I store it without batteries installed. Checked zero this fall and it was still spot on (but I'd expect nothing less).

Everything else has Aimpoint and if I needed to cull the herd, the 518 would go without remorse.

Eurodriver
02-22-21, 15:50
The best model is one made by Aimpoint.

Idk. I’ve been told quite a bit by guys from Texas that Eotechs are the best optics in the world and Aimpoints are “third world” optics.

Anyone who has problems with eotechs has been called a “retard”.

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-23-21, 19:08
The best part about Eotechs is they offer them with QD mounts so that when your battery dies you can quickly remove the optic and try to use it as a bludgeoning tool against your attacker.

This post brought to you by constant on 50,000 hr battery gang.

fedupflyer
02-23-21, 19:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-JoHdB3MxI

Mysteryman
02-23-21, 20:44
Idk. I’ve been told quite a bit by guys from Texas that Eotechs are the best optics in the world and Aimpoints are “third world” optics.

Anyone who has problems with eotechs has been called a “retard”.

That's nice. Doesn't change the facts surrounding the piss poor quality, lack of battery life, inferior submersion values, and the unfixed issues from the great lawsuit. The 65 MOA ring reticle is a gimmick. Pointy guys use what they're issued and don't pay for replacements. Not knocking them, but many of them aren't gear guys, they're just dudes doing their job with the tools at hand.