PDA

View Full Version : UK bans fire extinguishers

GMan 19
12-04-08, 23:07
ROFLMAO!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=115014&in_page_id=34

Iraqgunz
12-04-08, 23:16
I think the UK should just ban the UK and the problem will be solved. What's next? Banning first aid kits because people don't have first aid training?

Jay Cunningham
12-04-08, 23:24
Does this surprise anyone?

What a ****ing neutered country.

Avenger29
12-04-08, 23:29
Does this surprise anyone?

What a ****ing neutered country.

Amen to that...

It seems that the UK gets more Orwellian by the week, too.

LOKNLOD
12-04-08, 23:33
Insanity. Everytime I read these articles out of the UK, I have to stop and tell myself it isn't just satire. I don't think I could come up with stuff that ridiculous if I tried.

I would rather live in 3rd world shithole anarchy than live over there. It doesn't even sound like living, just existing.

theblackknight
12-05-08, 00:12
"Extinguishers banned as a fire safety hazard
"

Im not sure what that means. i cant really compute that.

This has to be fake

Avenger29
12-05-08, 00:32
"Extinguishers banned as a fire safety hazard
"

Im not sure what that means. i cant really compute that.

This has to be fake

It's not fake...it's UK logic...

After all, while fiction has to make sense, the truth often doesn't...

boltcatch
12-05-08, 01:19
Thank God they're confined to a freakin' island.

Gentoo
12-05-08, 01:24
I guess this is what happens when you go from controlling 1/3 of the world to controlling one tiny ass island.

Gramps
12-05-08, 02:20
What?
b n uh bull er imp n n nn nnnnn

un un unbe unbe unbel NFW!

byatacko
12-05-08, 02:58
I guess this is what happens when you go from controlling 1/3 of the world to controlling one tiny ass island.

Not even the island anymore, hence the anti fire extinguisher legislation.

ZDL
12-05-08, 04:08
That's great. I wonder if there are any "price gouging" fire extinguisher dealers over there.

mmike87
12-05-08, 05:40

Amazing isn't it - once the foremost military power in the world, and now they are afraid of fire extinguishers.

Alas, behold our future!

ToddG
12-05-08, 05:55
Dorset Fire and Rescue defended the move, saying: 'Obviously, in some cases, an extinguisher could come in useful but, with new building regulations, every escape route should be completely fireproof.'

And that, my friends, is Darwinism in action. When a large segment of the species population that has the mindset and capability to survive under duress travels across the ocean to get the hell out, after a few hundred years you're left with a lot of potty-head buffoons who think that everything will be all right as long as everything works out the way it's supposed to, thankyouverymuch.

Douglas Adams didn't really die. They just put him in charge of U.K. legislation.

photosniper
12-05-08, 19:29
"Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents"
Isn't this one of the departments of the Ministry of Magic? I know I read about this in my Harry Potter novels:rolleyes:
What retards, thank god for the Revolutionary War.

williejc
12-06-08, 05:58
My theory on the UK is that it lost a generation of fighting men from 1914-1918 and from 1939-1945 it suffered the same fate. Today's population is missing the genetic variation and hardiness lost to two world wars. Percentage wise the Brits took a big hit when losses are compared to total population. And the UK worldview has been shaped by an over-reaction to the "horrors of war" resulting in a pacifist and so-called non-violent philosophy now seen in government policy. Let's not forget the influence of communist indoctrination from the Soviets during the cold war decades.

Gentoo
12-06-08, 06:12
Dorset Fire and Rescue defended the move, saying: 'Obviously, in some cases, an extinguisher could come in useful but, with new building regulations, every escape route should be completely fireproof.'

That sounds an awful lot like the logic used on the Titanic... What do we need lifeboats for, the ship is unsinkable...

MisterWilson
12-06-08, 07:37
March called...They want their article back.

Seriously though, that is pretty unreasonable.

SRG
12-06-08, 08:12
"In other news........

It seems that there have been all too many accidents involving the game of cricket and the associated equipment. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has declared that cricket balls are the source of many untimely deaths in the U.K.
The Department for Communities and Local Government said, "Balls were once the strength of the country, but no more balls. Therefore, all balls shall be removed from England."

In other news......"

Abraxas
12-06-08, 08:41
I believe that the UK is lost beyond all repair

Caeser25
12-06-08, 08:58
"The 61-year-old claimed his neighbours were now worried sick that a fire could break out."

I guess the logic here is that the removal of fire extinguishers causes fires to happen:confused:

"But Mike Edwards, who lives in one of the blocks, said he was 'absolutely staggered' that RISK EXPERTS thought it was a SAFE DECISION."

wow...

Safetyhit
12-06-08, 09:30
Thank God they're confined to a freakin' island.

Yes, very true. Now we should quarantine them from the rest of the world before this infectious disease spreads any further. No boat, air, or now even car travel to that truly God-forsaken wimp nation.

No guns, no knives, no fire extinguishers (honestly can't believe I even had to write that one). But the adoption of sharia law and the replacement of Christmas plays for Eid festivities is acceptable.

Look, I am no conspirist, but something very serious is happening to those people. Something that I could not explain even if I had to try.

Abraxas
12-06-08, 09:57
No guns, no knives, no fire extinguishers (honestly can't believe I even had to write that one).But the adoption of sharia law and the replacement of Christmas plays for Eid festivities is acceptable.

We have these things happening here in the states, minus the fire extinguisher thing

Yes, very true. Now we should quarantine them from the rest of the world before this infectious disease spreads any further. No boat, air, or now even car travel to that truly God-forsaken wimp nation.

No guns, no knives, no fire extinguishers (honestly can't believe I even had to write that one).But the adoption of sharia law and the replacement of Christmas plays for Eid festivities is acceptable.

Look, I am no conspirist, but something very serious is happening to those people. Something that I could not explain even if I had to try.

There is a saying that comes to mid every time I hear about something like this "The British have never defeated an enemy that wore shoes without help from another country". I have tried to prove it wrong, but have not yet and at this pace, I don't think that I will.It is sad when France looks tougher. One really has to try hard to get that accomplished. The worst part about this is that I could see some asinine city council here in the states proposing the same thing. I mean for god sakes Kenneth FL has proposed a neatness ordinance that allows then to enter a persons home and inspect it for cleanliness. Now I know that these things are not the same but both are very stupid, and if one is suggested then I could see the other also being brought up at some point. :eek:EEK the British are coming.:D

theblackknight
12-06-08, 15:27
Yeah,they are surely effed.

Im thinking band aids should go next. Yah know, because people performing 1st aid will just lead to more infections.:D

C5CE
12-06-08, 15:47
With that mentality, pretty soon, chivalry will return to England!

They'll have a King and and everyone will be riding horses and wearing chain mail!!

I wonder if they have yet banned lances??

g5m
12-06-08, 19:22
It's just amazing seeing what a committee can do.

Iraq Ninja
12-06-08, 23:07
This article came out in March 2008. The UK has not banned Fire Extinguishers.

kal
12-06-08, 23:42
Are the English people ready to throw down? Or has modern liberalism completely engulfed them and are forever doomed to progress themselves as prisoners of the state as time passes?

Mjolnir
12-07-08, 00:26
We have these things happening here in the states, minus the fire extinguisher thing

I mean for god sakes Kenneth, FL has proposed a neatness ordinance that allows then to enter a persons home and inspect it for cleanliness.

Tell me you're kidding...

Abraxas
12-07-08, 08:10
Tell me you're kidding...

I wish I was. It has not passed yet, but the fact that they even proposed it, is pathetic. Here is a link http://tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/article919476.ece

sandpacker21
12-07-08, 13:38
I dont know if i can say this on here but here goes.
What happened when people like Winston Churchill ran the UK. If The UK of today faced someone like Hitler today it would be lost.They would not even put up a fight for fear of making someone mad. The UK has turned into a bunch of pussy's!!!!! They gladly bow to the wims of foreniers and those same foreiners have more rights than the people who were born and raised there.

Gutshot John
12-07-08, 13:52
There is a saying that comes to mid every time I hear about something like this "The British have never defeated an enemy that wore shoes without help from another country".

You could probably say the same thing about the United States or any other industrialized nation. And we've lost at least one war where the people didn't wear shoes.

sandpacker21
12-07-08, 13:53
Are the English people ready to throw down? Or has modern liberalism completely engulfed them and are forever doomed to progress themselves as prisoners of the state as time passes?

I tend to think the 2nd statement is true for the UK.

Tipy
12-07-08, 14:00
UK is a third world country, Shria law, and the rise of the muslim population at a rate three of four times the western population growth.
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy

Gutshot John
12-07-08, 14:21
UK is a third world country

I'm not sure what you think is a "third-world" country, but England is certainly NOT one though it may end up that way (as might we).

Shria law,

Uhm not exactly there is no Sharia law in England. Religious communities (such as orthodox jews as well as Muslims) can apply some elements of their legal traditions to civil disputes such as divorce and inter-community lawsuits. These allowances have NOTHING at all to do with criminal law. That doesn't mean I endorse this compromise, just that it's not unique to muslims.

As for the topic at hand, if England wants to cut off its nose to spite its face by outlawing fire extinguishers, more power to them. I could give a rip.

Abraxas
12-07-08, 15:48
You could probably say the same thing about the United States or any other industrialized nation. And we've lost at least one war where the people didn't wear shoes.

Not entirely. I do see how you could say this, there is a certain amount of truth, but I would be very inclined to disagree, just off the top of my mind the Mexican American war. As far as your reference to one that we lost to those without shoes I would ask, just which conflict are you referring? There is more than one, depending on how you look at it, or there is none. It all depends on how you look at it

Gutshot John
12-07-08, 15:53
Not entirely. I do see how you could say this, there is a certain amount of truth, but I would be very inclined to disagree, just off the top of my mind the Mexican American war. As far as your reference to one that we lost to those without shoes I would ask, just which conflict are you referring? There is more than one, depending on how you look at it, or there is none. It all depends on how you look at it

Well since shoes weren't really widely available, even in the "industrialized" world until the 20th century. I'd argue that most of the Mexicans (and probably a good number of Americans) went without shoes.

I was thinking of vietnam. Seems I recall that they made sandals out of recycled tires.

As you say, it depends on how you look at it.

Gutshot John
12-07-08, 17:38
In looking back at modern warfare, I don't know if there is an apt comparison especially in regards to the World Wars. By necessity they involved other nations and as a colonial empire, Britain wasn't going to take on modern industrial powers except in the most dire situations which would of course require aid.

I would point to the Seven Years' War (French and Indian War in the Americas) as an example. Moreover the Mughals in India were pretty sophisticated warriors. In the Opium Wars, I'm pretty sure the Chinese were wearing footwear while the Brits were worshipping pagan gods. Lastly I'd point to the Falkland Islands War for a more modern example.

Looter Shooter
12-07-08, 19:50
Wow I'm speechless. To ban a safety item like a fire extinguisher because "The life-saving devices encourage untrained people to fight a fire rather than leave the building"... why don't they just ban fires and then they wouldn't have to worry about the fire extinguishers. :rolleyes:

Wonder how long before California jumps on the bandwagon and bans fire extinguishers also. They like to ban stuff there I hear.

citizensoldier16
12-07-08, 20:12
Hey guys, maybe we should ban indoor plumbing too...because people will be tempted to try to put water on the fire now that they don't have fire extinguishers. I mean, that's a fire hazard too, right?

Come on...freaking British.

Abraxas
12-07-08, 22:19
Lastly I'd point to the Falkland Islands War for a more modern example.

Please, the Falklands, are you kidding:rolleyes:? Those were not well trained troops that the Brits faced. Ya sure they did well against civilians but they were no match to any moderately trained force.But did the Brits send in just any old troops, no they sent the Royal Marines, and their Airborne. Something that I do tip my hat too that the Brits did was the fact they were the only country to win an insurgency. Even if they did grant the country its independence afterwords. As for the opium wars the Brits were not the only country involved.

Gutshot John
12-07-08, 23:34
Please, the Falklands, are you kidding:rolleyes:? Those were not well trained troops that the Brits faced. Ya sure they did well against civilians but they were no match to any moderately trained force.But did the Brits send in just any old troops, no they sent the Royal Marines, and their Airborne. Something that I do tip my hat too that the Brits did was the fact they were the only country to win an insurgency. Even if they did grant the country its independence afterwords. As for the opium wars the Brits were not the only country involved.

Actually the Brits were the only country involved with the First Opium War, the French partipated in the second, but both fought on their own and they were more than a match for the Chinese.

The standard applied was an enemy that wore shoes. Argentinians not only wore shoes, but they sunk a few british ships and inflicted some very serious casualties on the Royal Marines.

If the standard is an equal match, than no nation has really won on its own. Allies invariably tip the balance.

BWYoda
12-08-08, 02:35
Sad to say as I'm a Brit now naturalized in the US but the old country really has lost the plot. No handguns, no semi-auto long-guns and before long there will be a ban on "long pointed kitchen knives"! It seems that that humans have an annoying habit of wanting to defend themselves and in the absence of a firearm anything will do..........strange eh? When I heard about the kitchen knife thing I wrote to the Times asking them to ratify all future British laws in crayon because I know about three ways to kill someone with a ball-point pen. On another level crayons correspond with the mental age of most British Politicians!

Abraxas
12-08-08, 06:21
. Argentinians not only wore shoes, but they sunk a few British ships

This is the problem when one is working off an 11 year memory, you forget certain, and sometimes big points.:eek: