PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense 30mm Single Ring Mount

Black_Sheep
02-06-21, 17:11
I would like to replace the factory QD mount on my PRO with this non-QD mount from Daniel Defense (https://danieldefense.com/daniel-defenser-30mm-optics-mount-single-ring.html) but before I order I'd like to know if it's absolute co-witness height or lower 1/3. I can't find the info anywhere and DD hasn't responded to my email inquiry. One of the reviews says it's a lower 1/3 but I'd like to confirm it. Looking for the dimension from the rail to the center of the optic, if anyone's running one would you kindly get me a measurement? Thanks in advance...

davidjinks
02-06-21, 20:47
One of the reviews states it’s 1/3 co-witness with DD irons.

Black_Sheep
02-07-21, 08:06
One of the reviews states it’s 1/3 co-witness with DD irons.

I saw that too, I just want to make sure

Black_Sheep
02-09-21, 20:31
In case anyone is interested, the response from DD:

Good afternoon Mark,

That optic mount puts the center of the mount right at about 1.6 inches above the top of the rail. It is roughly an absolute co-witness mount.

GH41
02-17-21, 16:40
In case anyone is interested, the response from DD:

Good afternoon Mark,

That optic mount puts the center of the mount right at about 1.6 inches above the top of the rail. It is roughly an absolute co-witness mount.

1.6 is as close to lower 1/3 as it is to absolute if you ask me. Absolute is usually mid 1.40 to 1.5. Sounds like DD split the difference and only make one mount not that that is a bad idea. You don't say what you want. For the record I can't imagine why anyone would want an absolute co-witness mount.

GH41
02-17-21, 16:42
Forgot to ask.... Where are you in Minnesota? My wife is from the Falls.

Black_Sheep
02-17-21, 17:27
Forgot to ask.... Where are you in Minnesota? My wife is from the Falls.

I’m in the north metro near where 35E and 35W converge. I was looking for an absolute co-witness mount the replace the QRP mount on my PRO. I was hoping to use a mount with the same height solely because I didn’t want to buy a lower 1/3 only to find out I didn’t like it.

Hank6046
02-17-21, 17:39
I’m in the north metro near where 35E and 35W converge. I was looking for an absolute co-witness mount the replace the QRP mount on my PRO. I was hoping to use a mount with the same height solely because I didn’t want to buy a lower 1/3 only to find out I didn’t like it.

Have you tried a lower 1/3rd before? Or at least compared height differences? They are minimal to some, having said that, I pretty much only buy 1/3rd and I would bet that the majority of sales is 1/3.

Black_Sheep
02-17-21, 18:01
I have not tried a lower 1/3, what is the benefit vs. absolute co-witness?

Hank6046
02-17-21, 19:13
I have not tried a lower 1/3, what is the benefit vs. absolute co-witness?

There is a ton of information on this site I would imagine with a quick search, but typically with a 1/3rd you use a the re d dot as just that, a red dot as it's own aiming devise. With absolute you use it as a 3rd alignment tool in your sighting system. In reality, a lower 1/3 rd allows you to do both. It also is more comfortable for me personally, just in the neck and cheek weld. Honestly, for you I would make the drive to Armzen Arms, or Atomic Tactical (depending on their current stock) and talk to them about it, and try them out independently. Attached a few Utube videos for ref.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcpfH6qQqB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHHwSSYZKbg

Black_Sheep
02-17-21, 19:30
I’ve been reading up on the differences. My Aero M4E1 has fold down BUS so the “uncluttered field of view” is a moot argument. My BCM has a fixed FSB, I’ve been shooting it with an absolute co-witness mount for 8 years without issue so it’s obviously a non-issue as far as I’m concerned. I will try a lower 1/3 on my next build because I’m planning to use fixed sights on it.

Hank6046
02-17-21, 20:23
I’ve been reading up on the differences. My Aero M4E1 has fold down BUS so the “uncluttered field of view” is a moot argument. My BCM has a fixed FSB, I’ve been shooting it with an absolute co-witness mount for 8 years without issue so it’s obviously a non-issue as far as I’m concerned. I will try a lower 1/3 on my next build because I’m planning to use fixed sights on it.

I apologize as I didn't know your prior situation with your BCM, and by all means do whatever you want. I just know that Aimpoint PRO's seem to have been drying up with everything else and I can only imagine that if you found a mount that sort of fits in both worlds, it certainly might not be that bad.

titsonritz
02-19-21, 01:02
For the record I can't imagine why anyone would want an absolute co-witness mount.

Me either, even with folding/no BUIS. Lower 1/3 works great with both for me, but I'm considering trying a 1.93 on my next purchase.