PDA

View Full Version : REd Dot

5shank
02-06-21, 21:34
Ya, this has been beaten to death, I really do get it. But as the world turns thing change faster then my socks (twice a day) so here goes, Have a SIL that bought a S&W Sport and needs a sight. He wants a Red Dot but 3 young kids and a wife don't leave a lot left over at the end of the week to buy top end and that my friend is the reality of family first. So when faced with short money what's the Poor Mans best best shot?
Thanks 5shank

02-07-21, 07:42
Coolest thing about being young? Good vision.

Irons to be later augmented with a Aimpoint PRO.

tgizzard
02-07-21, 08:26
Vortex Strikefire. Can be had for under $300. I bought a first gen seven years ago, due to the reasons you stated above. I still run it on my “beater” gun and I’ve had no negative interactions with this sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5shank
02-07-21, 08:44
Thank You! One of the problems with being a good parent is your "Family" comes first which is how it's supposed too be. With his limited spending cash he needs to get the most buying power and the advancements on Red Dots, the value bar keeps moving

daddyusmaximus
02-07-21, 10:28
Sig Romeo 5. I got 4 of them.

bulldozer3
02-07-21, 17:36
Holosun 403b or 403c (solar backup)
Simple red dot with a good track record

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

5shank
02-07-21, 17:46
Do most red dots have instant on or shake-a-wake?

gunnerblue
02-08-21, 00:30
Do most red dots have instant on or shake-a-wake?

I don't know about most, but with Aimpoints the long battery life largely negates such features.

Another vote for a good used Aimpoint Pro.

Arik
02-08-21, 07:13
Does he need the red dot right now today? If not the cheaper Aimpoints are around $400 and if he can put away $100 a week he'll have one within a month.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Nowski87
02-08-21, 10:39
Holosun 403b or 403c (solar backup)
Simple red dot with a good track record

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

If he must have a red dot, have one of each of these the "c" being the newest. The "B" has been on mulitple rifles and and a shotgun with no issues with the sight it self, the mounts on the other hand are trash but any micro mount will work with them. I have also used their pistol optics on a rifle, bot the 407 and 507 c models. One of those with a Trijicon RMR mount will run you about 300 total.

daddyusmaximus
02-09-21, 10:18
Torture test of a cheap option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuq_N129SAI&t=896s

BigTex2000
02-17-21, 08:12
Any thoughts on the new vortex sparc solar?

Jellybean
02-17-21, 12:29
I mean, literally:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slxz-advanced-rotary-knob-micro-red-dot-sight

Warp
02-21-21, 19:18
I have a Sig Romeo5 on a small 5.56 I take in the vehicle sometimes, shoot sometimes, move around the safe other times, nothing serious, but, it works and works well and the shake to wake makes it seem as though it's always on. You can't pick it up and look through it without seeing the dot...really simple operation there. On a budget I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, and I generally think Sig as a company ****ing sucks

Thank You! One of the problems with being a good parent is your "Family" comes first which is how it's supposed too be. With his limited spending cash he needs to get the most buying power and the advancements on Red Dots, the value bar keeps moving

No, most do not. But some of the big daddy choices don't need it as they have battery lives, on low or medium (reasonable) settings, measured in the year or years range. Your Aimpoints for example, or the Trijicon MRO, you just turn them on and leave them on. Others need a button pushed to wake them up, and then they either stay on till you turn them off (or they die) or they have a like 10 or 12 hour or something auto-off (but any pressing of a button restarts that).