View Full Version : What's your preferred flip up rear sight?

Bread is People
02-07-21, 04:15
Real quick now, dont think about it too much - what's your preferred flip up rear sight?
I will add that I'm looking to get one sooner or later.
I'll also add that I really dont like the magpul mbus, but that's just my preference.
I used to have a troy diamond diopter flip rear which was pretty nice, even though I didnt get to use it much before selling the rifle it was on.
Last, I realize that what you like & what you actually use can be 2 different things, so try not to give the question too much thought.

titsonritz
02-07-21, 04:43
MBUS Pros and KAC Micro 200-600M

vandal5
02-07-21, 06:01
MBUS Pro.

Quite a few good options out there. I do want to try some MBUS 3s when they come out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
02-07-21, 06:25
Once you go Troy, you never go back!

hoopharted
02-07-21, 06:26
put me in the MBUS Pro camp too , i have the offset Pro set and the regular Pro set

02-07-21, 07:30
MBUS. I only cling to BUIS for emotional support. Z, and never shoot again. So its nice that they are light.

Second favorite are the Matech. Thats what I would use if it were likely that I would have to use them.

I also like the Griffin fixed offset irons that I use with an LPVO.

Straight Shooter
02-07-21, 07:41
Aero Precision.

JediGuy
02-07-21, 07:49
If it’s truly a backup site with a quality optic...

The Griffin are extremely light, but to the extent I would start to worry about heavy use.
Troys work just fine.
I liked the KAC 200-600 was cool. I didn’t keep it for a specific reason on a purpose-built upper, but the sight was very nice.
MBUS Pro ...I currently have unzeroed offsets and regular, so have to get to the range to get some time with them. Not sure yet. Very solid, probably my choice if these were to be used as more than backup.

Instinctively, as a true backup, the MI combat rear is a really good option for me.

RHINOWSO
02-07-21, 07:50
MBUS Pro. Low profile.

KACs are very nice as well, but more expensive and harder to get that MBUS Pros.

Wake27
02-07-21, 07:53
MBUS Pro. Unlike the more expensive KACs, it has two apertures and serrations to reduce glare. I thought the latter was more of a talking point than anything until a few months ago when I was trying to zero, the glare was super distracting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Circle_10
02-07-21, 08:16
I tend to use fixed rear sights with red dots so my experience with flip-ups is limited. I do rather like the MBUS Pros that came on my Sionics upper though.

ST911
02-07-21, 09:00
Real quick now, dont think about it too much - what's your preferred flip up rear sight? I will add that I'm looking to get one sooner or later.
I'll also add that I really dont like the magpul mbus, but that's just my preference. I used to have a troy diamond diopter flip rear which was pretty nice, even though I didnt get to use it much before selling the rifle it was on. Last, I realize that what you like & what you actually use can be 2 different things, so try not to give the question too much thought.

Using only highest reliability RDSs (or optics incompatible with irons) I give BUISs very little thought anymore and almost never use them. Almost all of them do an adequate job, some have nuances as mentioned in the thread.

Last several sets I bought were Geisseles, to go on shared guns that might actually use irons, and needed to be stout. Here: https://geissele.com/geissele-buis.html

utahjeepr
02-07-21, 09:20
I have MBUS rears on a couple FSB guns. Not that I really like em. More of a just in case, better than nothing decision. Yes, they are zeroed. At least, I did zero them. No idea really if they are holding well. I guess I should check.

I really like the Dueck Defense RTs on my MWS. Unfortunately they don't work for my 5.56 guns, white light is in the way on one and the LA-5 on the other. I like where I have them (the light and the PEQ) so I ain't moving em.

The LMT back ups are great sights. Hold zero, return to zero when removed and remounted. But WTF do you do with them. If I really need them they are gonna be somewhere in the parts drawer.

So yeah, my back ups are good for pearl clutching but not so much for actual shooting. I have em cause I think I should, kinda like my FSBs. I'm in for good ideas.

L-2
02-07-21, 12:29
My thoughts are similar to Post 12's. My optics are my main sights and that's where I spent more money. I suppose if I was in the mood at the time, I might have shopped for higher-priced BUISights but sometimes I just either want to go to the closest convenient store or order something online with good online feedback/reviews.

Note, I'm not a high-speed builder-type. My initial AR15 was an issued Colt with the solid triangular front sight post and the rear sight on the (removable) carry handle. I think my old department is still using those, but have now made an Eotech optional, but that's after my time there. I don't know what rear sight was used if the officer went with the Eotech option.

On my personal ARs, one (a Springfield-Armory "Saint") has offset Magpul-brand front & rear folding sights (due to having a low power variable optic (Vortex "Razor") mounted, while the other one (a BCM AR-pistol, hopefully soon-to-be SBR) has Springfield-Armory folding sights, taken off from the Springfield-Armory (the BCM currently has a Trijicon MRO mounted).

I suppose my views on BUISights might change should I ever bash them into pieces climbing out of or into a vehicle or other activities.

NYH1
02-07-21, 12:50
Troy/BCM Folding Rear Sights (https://troyind.com/products/rear-folding-sight-blk)

556BlackRifle
02-07-21, 13:25
1_ MBUS PRO

2_ KAC Micro

3_ Troy Folding Battle Sights

4_ MBUS

ViniVidivici
02-07-21, 13:30
Matech. Does the job. Folds flat. Didnt cost an arm and a leg.

Stickman
02-07-21, 13:50
Here are some sights that have worked very well for me.
KAC
Troy
MBUS
MI

I'll point out that the MI front and rear combat folding sights are great pieces which are also very well priced. I have them or 3 or 4 of my weapons, and would like to chuck them on a few more.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/4d9d96a2f3924a7301bd569209f5df04/tumblr_pg1po6Se6E1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Hammer_Man
02-07-21, 14:11
KAC or nothing.

02-07-21, 15:04
KAC 300M Micro.

I’m actually using mine right now as the primary with a fixed FSB as I loaned my Aimpoint out to a family member for a little while.

TBAR_94
02-07-21, 15:35
I use the KAC 300m. I like that it takes less rail space than a Matech or some other sights, since I like magnifiers. I really enjoy shooting irons, just because I'm old fashioned like that, but on a gun set up for an optic I want the smallest and least obtrusive rear site that is good enough to let me get hits with.

themonk
02-07-21, 16:05
Big fan of KAC.

99cobra2881
02-07-21, 16:26
Current setup: Magpul Mbus pros with an Eotech XPS3-0.

Light and low profile with minimal rail space used. The mbus pro rear sight being contoured like the upper receiver allows it to lay as far rearward as possible and not obstruct the charging handle.

The other option I considered was DD fixed iron sights with an EXPS3-0. If I had nods I wouldve gone with the EXPS3-0.

Tony617
02-07-21, 16:26
I like the Troy flip up battle sights myself. I got lucky and they had on sale for Black Friday a few years ago so bought several sets.

Buncheong
02-07-21, 16:34
Has anyone tried out the Centurion Arms diopter rear sight? I would like to get one when they come back in stock but they aren’t cheap, and would appreciate any end user feedback before taking the plunge.

Thanks in advance ...

JediGuy
02-07-21, 17:25
Has anyone tried out the Centurion Arms diopter rear sight? I would like to get one when they come back in stock but they aren’t cheap, and would appreciate any end user feedback before taking the plunge.

Thanks in advance ...

Someone beat me to a set that went cheap on the EE. Otherwise outside of my price range, but would also like to check them out.

titsonritz
02-07-21, 19:37
I also like the Griffin fixed offset irons that I use with an LPVO.

I have a set of those as well on LPVO carbine, I like them a lot but didn't mention them due to the subject of the OP.

vicious_cb
02-07-21, 19:45
Using only highest reliability RDSs (or optics incompatible with irons) I give BUISs very little thought anymore and almost never use them. Almost all of them do an adequate job, some have nuances as mentioned in the thread.

Last several sets I bought were Geisseles, to go on shared guns that might actually use irons, and needed to be stout. Here: https://geissele.com/geissele-buis.html

Pretty much this, take the money you would spend on a BUIS and get a higher quality optic.

CPM
02-07-21, 20:07
MBUS. There was a drop test that showed the MBUS had the least amount of shift. They allow me to hit minute of upper torso to 300.

The retention mechanism of the MATechs used to always shit the bed when I was serving. We hated them as they always popped up and became a fixed rear sight. The drop adjustment is nice, but I can’t think of a realistic scenario where you’re using back up irons to shoot 600 yards, and we should all be able to hit a man sized target to 300 without adjusting the sights.

bikemike555
02-07-21, 22:11
KAC hands down. Low profile, effortless adjustments, robust, precise, and not made from old cat food cans like Matech sights are...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dr. Bullseye
02-07-21, 22:15
I used a KAC rear for a couple years. But now, do I have to say it--Ultradyne.

ST911
02-07-21, 22:18
The retention mechanism of the MATechs used to always shit the bed when I was serving. We hated them as they always popped up and became a fixed rear sight.

I've had to peen the Matechs base when the retention tab wore. Usually the first peening does the job.

FCD's mount kit is also worthwhile: https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/Retrofit-Kit-Matech_p_68.html

AndyLate
02-07-21, 22:19
I have MBUS, MaTech, and BCM/Troy folding sights. I prefer the Troy sights because they "default" to a large aperture and their operation is intuitive.

Andy

bikemike555
02-07-21, 22:19
I, uh, can't post pics?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ScottsBad
02-07-21, 23:06
I have several sets of Troy. I like them because of the quality and that they lock in the UP POSITION.

bp7178
02-07-21, 23:43
KAC Micro 200-600M.

pag23
02-08-21, 04:26
Troy's....on my FSB guns

Might get the new Magpul ones once they come out....

trauma
02-08-21, 04:37
I've had KAC irons for 12 years at least, I never even tried anything else....haha

GaWardawg
02-08-21, 04:56
Ive only tried a couple.. But KAC micro for me.

vandal5
02-08-21, 05:30

Thanks in advance ...Would you be doing the matching front and rear set? I would like to try these but they are quite pricey.

I'm no expert but the HK style sights make more sence to me. Probably from renting MP5s and UMPs at shooting ranges a bunch before getting into ARs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

almala
02-08-21, 08:05
KAC micros, matech, troy, MBUS pro.... Carry Handle!

odugrad
02-08-21, 09:18
Although I don't use my buis very often, I'm fond of the Troy Battle Sights. Had them for a while and as someone else mentioned, I really like that they lock in place. That's a big advantage if you have to switch your folding sights.

I've just recently gotten a set of the MBUS Pros and they seem really nice. Much smaller than the Troy sights.

Disciple
02-08-21, 16:35
I have MBUS, MaTech, and BCM/Troy folding sights. I prefer the Troy sights because they "default" to a large aperture and their operation is intuitive.

I have several sets of Troy. I like them because of the quality and that they lock in the UP POSITION.

Midwest Industries MCTAR-SPLP and MCTAR-ERS share these features. MCTAR-ERS doesn't fit under an low-mounted scope however.

RWH24
02-08-21, 16:46
Troy Folding. They just work for me.

Stickman
02-08-21, 19:10

Thanks in advance ...

I have been using them on a few different short barreled rifles for a decade or so. If you are used to using MP5 sights, these make a lot of sense. If you aren’t, they are pretty straight forward still, just a little different for zeroing.

Nightstalker865
02-08-21, 19:44
MBUS Pro’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freelance
02-08-21, 19:54
Troy folding dioptic rear with the Troy folding HK Style front is my preference but pricey. MBUS and MBUS Pro's are fine no issues, my ARMS 40L's have never failed after 30+ years, lots of quality choices.

Buncheong
02-08-21, 20:58
I have been using them on a few different short barreled rifles for a decade or so. If you are used to using MP5 sights, these make a lot of sense. If you aren’t, they are pretty straight forward still, just a little different for zeroing.

Thanks much for the feedback, my friend - it is appreciated.

Renegade04
02-08-21, 21:02
MBUS PRO, KAC, Midwest Industries Combat Rifle sights, and LMT.

Uncas47
02-08-21, 21:17
KAC 98474 and 97082, occasionally use either one as stand alone irons.

KN0WHERE
02-08-21, 22:26
I’m partial to the KAC micro buis

Entryteam
02-08-21, 22:37
Real quick now, dont think about it too much - what's your preferred flip up rear sight?
I'll also add that I really dont like the magpul mbus, but that's just my preference.
I used to have a troy diamond diopter flip rear which was pretty nice, even though I didnt get to use it much before selling the rifle it was on.
Last, I realize that what you like & what you actually use can be 2 different things, so try not to give the question too much thought.

ARMS #40L

26 Inf
02-08-21, 23:29
my ARMS 40L's have never failed after 30+ years, lots of quality choices.

ARMS #40L

I'm with you. I put a 40L-SP and a 40L-F on my first build, have them to this day. My eyes have changed enough that the CQB notch is pretty much useless, but otherwise I'm just as happy with them as could be.

I prefer Troy non-folding battlesights for rifles with FSB's and lower 1/3 optics.

titsonritz
02-09-21, 02:54
I prefer Troy non-folding battlesights for rifles with FSB's and lower 1/3 optics.

That's a different story. I'm liking Scalarworks rear sight and their Aimpoint micro lower 1/3 on my rifle with FSB.

masakari
02-09-21, 08:53
For folding rear with range: LMT, but not the new ones with free spinning windage wheel. Then KAC, but the aperture is too small.

For folding locking: LWRC, and then Troy

For folding non-locking: Midwest Combat Sights, MBus Pro, MBus G2 (and probably the newest G3)

Rogue556
02-09-21, 18:21
For a rear flip up BUIS:

KAC

(Durable for the size. A lot of adjustment. Lockup could be better. Expensive.)

LMT

(Same as KAC.)

Matech

(A lot of adjustment, cheaper than KAC/LMT. Large for a folding BUIS.)

Geissele

(Very robust/durable. Solid lockup. Aperture could be larger IMO. Larger than some other BUIS.)

Bobro Lowrider

(Very low profile. Very light weight. Aperture seems mid-sized. Not easily adjustable, requiring tools.)

For a fixed BUIS:

Scalarworks

(Light weight. Easily adjustable. Relatively low profile. Expensive.)

LMT

(Very durable/reliable. A lot of adjustment. Heavy. Price varies.)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Plato
02-10-21, 11:19
MBUS Pro.

DigEm355
02-10-21, 16:14
Regular MBUS, but I only have one rifle without a scope.

Boba Fett v2
02-10-21, 18:04
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/5042/3wxtZQ.jpg

alva8193
02-11-21, 10:37
flip up KAC, i love the fixed peak irons but i know youre after flip ups

tanksoldier
02-11-21, 10:48
MBUS for fun guns
MBUS Pro for serious guns

The one gas block height front sight I have is a Midwest Industries and seems fine... but I don't have any of their rear sights.

davidjinks
02-11-21, 17:21
KAC 200-600M BUIS

3 AE
02-11-21, 21:37
On my 6920, Magpul MBUS. Very inexpensive, easily deployed, can take a beating, and accurate enough for the distances that I would engage with it. On my Noveske Recce, Magpul Pro's because or their low profile and easy windage and elevation adjustments like the MBUS.

PFran42
02-13-21, 10:24
MBUS Pros and KAC Micro 200-600M

This, plus the KAC 300m.

rushca01
02-13-21, 10:30
Troy for me. But in all honesty I don’t run BUIS anymore, just use my aimpoints.

Restricted
02-16-21, 11:01
Anything but Samson. I've never had irons not hold a zero till I had a set of Samsons.