PDA

View Full Version : What Movies Piss Hollywood Off The Most...?

SteyrAUG
02-07-21, 05:24
So watching "The Patriot"...again...because it's on netflix and thinking back to how many people were horrified by this film.

They put guns in the hands of children. Not every black person was a slave. The British army was guilty of war crimes. OMG. The way they vilified this film I knew I had to see it...just like when they gushed all over "Milk" I knew that movie wasn't for me.

Hell I even went and saw "The Passion" because it was making the exact same people angry and I'm not a religious person of any kind. The movie was good, it was slightly unnerving at the end when the audience stood up and cheered but whatever...it's their thing so let them have it.

Then Gibson came out with "Apocalypto" and showed the Mayan culture for the bloodthirsty, subhuman pieces of shit that were second only to the Aztecs for what they were. Ironically when the first Spanish ships showed up in the end full of conquistadors I stood up in my seat and cheered.

And then Gibson gave us "We Were Soldiers" and thank god. Someone found the balls to honestly depict Vietnam veterans as men who did their duty to the best of their ability. They weren't there to rape villagers or score drugs (maybe Oliver Stone's flunky squad engaged in that stuff), they were there to fight and sacrifice and boy did the depictions of the sacrifices make the lefties cringe. Single moms with kids getting a "Sorry to inform you" telegram. And while in 1968 we were having race wars on the street, in Vietnam "none of that matters anymore" and men fought for the men beside them.

None of them felt ashamed of their actions the way Jane Fonda wants to view every veteran...as a victim if not a criminal. Even when put through the worst of it they were still hanging tough...and to make matters worse...it was a true story.

There have been a few other movies since Red Dawn and Death Wish and they aren't all made by Mel Gibson, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Circle_10
02-07-21, 05:46
I seem to recall Black Hawk Down getting a lot of negative press from the Left when it came out. One of the accusations was that it depicted the Somalis as just a hostile mob of interchangeable black faces (or something to that effect)....which is probably pretty close to the reality of how the US personnel getting shot at by them would have perceived them, but never mind reality...

SteyrAUG
02-07-21, 06:47
I seem to recall Black Hawk Down getting a lot of negative press from the Left when it came out. One of the accusations was that it depicted the Somalis as just a hostile mob of interchangeable black faces (or something to that effect)....which is probably pretty close to the reality of how the US personnel getting shot at by them would have perceived them, but never mind reality...

Also a thinly veiled reference to Clinton denying them armor and gunships. But it had enough "I respect the Somali's" shit to not get ripped too hard.

Spielberg has probably pissed them off a time or two with films like "Munich" and some of his WWII theme stuff.

Diamondback
02-07-21, 07:07
Spielberg has probably pissed them off a time or two with films like "Munich" and some of his WWII theme stuff.

Ironic given that he IS one of them...

MikhailBarracuda91
02-07-21, 07:11
They Live

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

GHMann
02-07-21, 08:14
The ones that don't make money probably piss Hollywood off the most. Now, which ones piss off the Libs most, that's another question.

Ready.Fire.Aim
02-07-21, 08:19
The obvious answer is Run, Hide, Fight.
Purposely intended to be pro 2A and combat the Left’s narrative.

BoringGuy45
02-07-21, 08:50
There's also SWAT. It wasn't exactly a cinematic masterpiece, but there were quite a few scenes and themes that made smile for their jabs at the left.

Random lady: "Don't you got nothin' better to do than haul another black man off to jail? Just perpetuating the cycle, ain't you!"
LL Cool J: "We'll see how liberal you are when he's breaking into your place!"
Lady: "Uh hmm!"
LL Cool J: "'Uh huh' my ass!"

I also like the press conference after the jail bus shootout where the police captain claims that the bad guys had AK-47s when they clearly had TEC-9s and pistols. I read that was intentional by the filmmakers as a swipe at how politicians think everything is either an AR or AK.

I also like that they used correct terminology to describe M4 parts; no other movie I've seen ever referred to "gas tube" "gas rings" or "receiver".

DG23
02-07-21, 08:57
So watching "The Patriot"...again...because it's on netflix and

Isn't Netflix one of those far left organizations we should not be giving our dollars to?

BoringGuy45
02-07-21, 09:02
Isn't Netflix one of those far left organizations we should not be giving our dollars to?

The only way to not give money to the left these days is to go completely off the grid, unfortunately.

Slater
02-07-21, 09:22
Anything vaguely patriotic?

Arik
02-07-21, 11:50
I'm at the point where if MSM/Hollywood say one thing I automatically assume it's quite the opposite.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

mack7.62
02-07-21, 12:25
I would say that The Passion of the Christ would be in the top 10.

SteyrAUG
02-07-21, 19:21

Yeah, but I don't want to live in a tire hut, huddled around my home made candles for warmth while reading one of the seven books I own.

If you are on the internet, you are giving money to some far left group. If are using a phone of computer you are giving money to some far left group.

SteyrAUG
02-07-21, 19:24
The obvious answer is Run, Hide, Fight.
Purposely intended to be pro 2A and combat the Left’s narrative.

Might be true if it actually played in a theater or on some kind of movie channel.

vicious_cb
02-07-21, 19:29
So watching "The Patriot"...again...because it's on netflix and thinking back to how many people were horrified by this film.

I dont think so, a movie about freed slaves fighting oppression, decolonization and the main antagonist a posh white male? The only thing they hate is Mel Gibson and the American Flag. The plot suits their narrative.

titsonritz
02-07-21, 21:24
I bet they wish Blazing Saddles would go away.

titsonritz
02-07-21, 21:26

Munich came to mind

SteyrAUG
02-08-21, 00:25
I dont think so, a movie about freed slaves fighting oppression, decolonization and the main antagonist a posh white male? The only thing they hate is Mel Gibson and the American Flag. The plot suits their narrative.

You really are a glass half empty kind of guy. I remember when the movie was first shown and trust me, the critics were all uniquely horrified. Sure the slave fighting to earn his freedom (and the respect of his fellow patriots) was probably not historically representative of most, but it did happen on a small enough scale to be technically correct.

Ironically on of the early heroes of the revolution was Jocko Graves a black youth who served under Washington and held his signal post until he froze to death. His memorial became the lawn jockey which now some people view as racist because they are totally ignorant of it's origins. Of course the story itself could be completely fabricated because records of some men and events are sketchy at best.

SteyrAUG
02-08-21, 00:27
Munich came to mind

Munich was not screwing around, they even dropped "How do you think 'we' got the land?"

Jellybean
02-08-21, 00:30
I'm at the point where if MSM/Hollywood say one thing I automatically assume it's quite the opposite.

^^^
This.
Or Rotten Tomatoes.
That's literally why Alita and a few others have done well; 'they' found *something* to complain about, and people flocked to it as an F.U.

Yes.
Buy DVDs.
You don't need internet or a subscription to watch it as many times as you want; just a computer or DVD player.
Streaming services are an anti-ownership racket cloaked in the tyranny of convenience.
Or you know, follow the call of the seven seas if that suits you.
Yeah, I know, I must be getting old, but I find I appreciate media that you can have in your hand not in the aether more and more by the year.

As far as 'what movies piss off hollywood';
Well, I wouldn't really know about the older stuff, but:

Ford Vs Ferrari was a solid recent feather ruffler
(a movie about white guys racing unexpectedly edged out some other 'approved blockbuster' nonsense. Can't have that... :laugh: )
Also Lord of the Rings (there's a reason they're so hellbent to remake those... Darn wypippo bein mean to the orcs just trying to enrich and diversify their lands. :laugh: )
I'm going to put Rambo 4 as an honorable top-of head mention as well (peace and love didn't solve all life's problems).
And of COURSE... Demolition Man (aka, Life Simulator 2020+ edition).

I'm sure pretty much any reasonably well made, featuring realistic and/or non-line-toeing stories and badass and/or properly masculine characters produced in the last 40 years probably fits the bill. Bonus points if it has a majority-white cast and doesn't devolve into some form of self-hatred.
Just ask yourself, next time you're watching one of your old-time favorites, "could they get away with making this today"? and you'll know.

SteyrAUG
02-08-21, 03:52
^^^
This.
Or Rotten Tomatoes.
That's literally why Alita and a few others have done well; 'they' found *something* to complain about, and people flocked to it as an F.U.

Yes.
Buy DVDs.
You don't need internet or a subscription to watch it as many times as you want; just a computer or DVD player.
Streaming services are an anti-ownership racket cloaked in the tyranny of convenience.
Or you know, follow the call of the seven seas if that suits you.
Yeah, I know, I must be getting old, but I find I appreciate media that you can have in your hand not in the aether more and more by the year.

As far as 'what movies piss off hollywood';
Well, I wouldn't really know about the older stuff, but:

Ford Vs Ferrari was a solid recent feather ruffler
(a movie about white guys racing unexpectedly edged out some other 'approved blockbuster' nonsense. Can't have that... :laugh: )
Also Lord of the Rings (there's a reason they're so hellbent to remake those... Darn wypippo bein mean to the orcs just trying to enrich and diversify their lands. :laugh: )
I'm going to put Rambo 4 as an honorable top-of head mention as well (peace and love didn't solve all life's problems).
And of COURSE... Demolition Man (aka, Life Simulator 2020+ edition).

I'm sure pretty much any reasonably well made, featuring realistic and/or non-line-toeing stories and badass and/or properly masculine characters produced in the last 40 years probably fits the bill. Bonus points if it has a majority-white cast and doesn't devolve into some form of self-hatred.
Just ask yourself, next time you're watching one of your old-time favorites, "could they get away with making this today"? and you'll know.

So if you have a DVR, and there is something that hasn't been released on DVD, it is possible to capture and authorize a DVD of your very own. Also for pedestrian content, DVD rentals make cost effective rip and burns if somebody was inclined. For the really good stuff, I have all the special editions and directors cuts they ever made, but for the like that movie but don't love it, getting a $2 copy works for some.

MikhailBarracuda91
02-08-21, 03:56
I bet they wish Blazing Saddles would go away.Oh yeah! Lol

teufelhund1918
02-08-21, 06:08
Song of the South...

Averageman
02-08-21, 06:17
"The Searchers"

Arik
02-08-21, 06:59
^^^
This.
Or Rotten Tomatoes.

I never look for reviews so I wouldn't know what's on Rotten Tomatoes. If the story sounds interesting and the movie holds my attention I'll watch it.

You don't have to go far to see what won't work today. All of Married With Children is out...lol!! Even the show Friends would have issues today and that ended early to mid 00s.

chuckman
02-08-21, 09:05
Not Hollywood, but Fauda.

MistWolf
02-08-21, 09:17
Water World. Hollywood was hating on that movie before it was in post production. They hated on it so uniformly, it bombed before it was released. They hated on it because Kevin Costner somehow pissed somebody off. What made it worse was yours truly was in that movie. The whole scandal sank my acting career! :cool:

WillBrink
02-08-21, 10:16

I never saw it, because it looked hokie and I felt like of all the 'Murican actors who could have done that, an Ausi plays the part, he irks me. With that in mind, worth seeing?

WillBrink
02-08-21, 10:20
^^^
This.
Or Rotten Tomatoes.

I find RT worthless (though I also thought Alita sucked...) but find imdb.com much better in general.

Straight Shooter
02-08-21, 10:22
Water World. Hollywood was hating on that movie before it was in post production. They hated on it so uniformly, it bombed before it was released. They hated on it because Kevin Costner somehow pissed somebody off. What made it worse was yours truly was in that movie. The whole scandal sank my acting career! :cool:

WHOAH...where in the film? You cant just let that slip by unnoticed!

Arik
02-08-21, 10:31
WHOAH...where in the film? You cant just let that slip by unnoticed!The donkey [emoji206]!!!! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I kid, I kid!!!

Straight Shooter
02-08-21, 10:35
They Live

If that aint Nancy Pelosi what is.

chuckman
02-08-21, 11:06
I never saw it, because it looked hokie and I felt like of all the 'Murican actors who could have done that, an Ausi plays the part, he irks me. With that in mind, worth seeing?

I saw it and as a movie it was a solid "meh". It tried to slam in about 5 different historical events and a dozen famous people into one big mish-mash. But worth seeing once.

Grand58742
02-08-21, 11:58
I bet they wish Blazing Saddles would go away.

https://i.imgflip.com/4x75dv.jpg

Grand58742
02-08-21, 12:21
I recall there being somewhat of a disturbance over "Captain America: Winter Soldier" since it tended to lean libertarian in the political views.

The latest "anger" issues is the "Mandalorian" since they have Gina Carano who's a public conservative.

I think of it this way, if the social justice crowd cheers for a movie as being "progressive" I'm probably going to skip it.

MistWolf
02-08-21, 13:34
WHOAH...where in the film? You cant just let that slip by unnoticed!

Heh! During a period I was out of work, I signed up to be an extra for $45 a day. I was an extra during the filming on the set depicting the oil tanker. I'm in the crowd waving an AK and diving for cigarettes and Smeat while the Dennis Hopper stand-in delivered the inspirational speech. It was a lot of fun. I've watched the scene several times, but haven't been able to point and say "That's me!" with any conviction.

SteyrAUG
02-08-21, 14:16

Worth the watch.

Despite a few 'unlikely' moments, they really did try and capture the feel of the time.

MikhailBarracuda91
02-08-21, 15:08
If that aint Nancy Pelosi what is.
65140My thoughts exactly

just a scout
02-08-21, 16:20

Gibson is American.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ThirdWatcher
02-08-21, 17:29
“Zero Dark Thirty” (waterboarding scenes);

“Jack Reacher”: “There are three things cops never do. They don’t vote democrat, they don’t drive Cadillacs, and they never use personal vehicles”.

Straight Shooter
02-08-21, 17:34
Gibson is American.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GET OUTTA HERE. Did NOT know that.

Jellybean
02-08-21, 17:48
I never look for reviews so I wouldn't know what's on Rotten Tomatoes. If the story sounds interesting and the movie holds my attention I'll watch it.

I find RT worthless (though I also thought Alita sucked...) but find imdb.com much better in general.

Eh, you kinda missed my point about RT;
They are full of shit, lean blatantly, fawningly left, and are well-known to delete or add reviews at will, depending on how they support a film. So, my point was, if RT hates it (look for the "critic" vs "audience" scores there as well)... probably GTG.

I recall there being somewhat of a disturbance over "Captain America: Winter Soldier" since it tended to lean libertarian in the political views.

The latest "anger" issues is the "Mandalorian" since they have Gina Carano who's a public conservative..

Heh, yeah, Winter Soldier had quite the message about the potential for misuse of an overbearing militarized surveillance state. I remember watching that one and being surprised they actually 'went there' so blatantly.
Ironically, a lot of folks also seem to think that was the best Captain A film-wise as well.

As far as Gina, not sure she's 'conservative', she just happened to have the 'wrong opinion' about a protected lock-step topic, and the flying monkeys descended.
So, there's a little bit of the sort of bandwagoning going on as mentioned here were "if they hate it, I'll give it a try", to wit "they hate her so we like her".

Black_Sheep
02-08-21, 17:58
Anything by Dinesh D’Souza

Vandal
02-08-21, 18:15
A little surprised we've made it to page 5 without 13 Hours being mentioned. That movie seriously triggered the Hillary fans, some even blaming the release in 2016 as being designed to undermine her candidacy for President.

Dr. Bullseye
02-08-21, 21:51
Easily the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Let's count the ways. No blacks. No Jews or at least no Jews playing Jewish characters. No leftist theme. As a matter of fact, no moralizing at all. Yet as truly great production in every way and a huge money maker. This is followed closely by Star Wars (original) for the exact same reasons.

Averageman
02-08-21, 23:08
Still has to be "The Searchers" guy's, hands down.
Independent White Frontiersman's Sister gets kidnapped. Does he willingly allow the aboriginal people keep her? Does he call the Police and wait, no he picks up a several weapons and goes to look for her.
No wholesome portrayal or sympathy for the Native Americans, the Duke just hunted down the ones who took his sister. Killing pretty much anyone getting in the way.
No quitting, no BS about the environment, no gay characters.

SteyrAUG
02-08-21, 23:13
“Zero Dark Thirty” (waterboarding scenes);

“Jack Reacher”: “There are three things cops never do. They don’t vote democrat, they don’t drive Cadillacs, and they never use personal vehicles”.

If only that were true. I've even seen one organization "strongly encourage" their LEOs to vote Democrat.

SteyrAUG
02-08-21, 23:21
A little surprised we've made it to page 5 without 13 Hours being mentioned. That movie seriously triggered the Hillary fans, some even blaming the release in 2016 as being designed to undermine her candidacy for President.

I can only HOPE that film played a part in costing Hilly "At this point what difference does it make" Cliton the election. Unfortunately I don't think enough people saw the film and the ones who did already knew the deal and how they were going to vote.

Still has to be "The Searchers" guy's, hands down.
Independent White Frontiersman's Sister gets kidnapped. Does he willingly allow the aboriginal people keep her? Does he call the Police and wait, no he picks up a several weapons and goes to look for her.
No wholesome portrayal or sympathy for the Native Americans, the Duke just hunted down the ones who took his sister. Killing pretty much anyone getting in the way.
No quitting, no BS about the environment, no gay characters.

It's a great film, but like others it kinda predates blatant "social messaging / woke storylines" in film even though there has always been social messaging to some extent. The difference is the film used to be a vehicle for a message and now the message is a vehicle for the film.

Averageman
02-09-21, 00:03
It's a great film, but like others it kinda predates blatant "social messaging / woke storylines" in film even though there has always been social messaging to some extent. The difference is the film used to be a vehicle for a message and now the message is a vehicle for the film.

Well J.W. refused to be involved with "High Noon" because he didn't like the message it put out there.

SteyrAUG
02-09-21, 01:12
Well J.W. refused to be involved with "High Noon" because he didn't like the message it put out there.

And that is a great distinction. Rather than force his message into the movie he simply declined and did projects that he agreed with.

Leuthas
02-09-21, 02:06

I always wondered who played the old man in the little boat in the oil tanker.;)

MistWolf
02-09-21, 12:48
I always wondered who played the old man in the little boat in the oil tanker.;)

I tried for that part, but they said I wasn't big enough.

Grand58742
02-09-21, 13:38
Heh, yeah, Winter Soldier had quite the message about the potential for misuse of an overbearing militarized surveillance state. I remember watching that one and being surprised they actually 'went there' so blatantly.
Ironically, a lot of folks also seem to think that was the best Captain A film-wise as well.

As far as Gina, not sure she's 'conservative', she just happened to have the 'wrong opinion' about a protected lock-step topic, and the flying monkeys descended.
So, there's a little bit of the sort of bandwagoning going on as mentioned here were "if they hate it, I'll give it a try", to wit "they hate her so we like her".

Most people like the Captain America franchise period. There are a few "social justice" moments in there, but by and large, it puts the overt politics to the side and sends the subtle message instead.

And yes, she certainly leans conservative. She's put several Democrats and liberals on blast before. Now, she hasn't ever gone right out and said which side of the aisle she supports, but if her Tweeter feed is any indication, she's conservative.

titsonritz
02-10-21, 23:56
I watched Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan of the Apes the other day and it made my think of the thread. :lol:

SteyrAUG
02-11-21, 00:57
I watched Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan of the Apes the other day and it made my think of the thread. :lol:

Tarzan and His Mate (1934) with a nearly naked and at times completely naked Maureen O'Sullivan is the one to watch.

titsonritz
02-11-21, 01:02
Tarzan and His Mate (1934) with a nearly naked and at times completely naked Maureen O'Sullivan is the one to watch.

Watching that one tonight.

SteyrAUG
02-11-21, 03:20
Watching that one tonight.

Easily one of my favorite "pre code" films for a lot of reasons.

Grand58742
02-11-21, 12:10

You were saying?

https://www.thewrap.com/gina-carano-dropped-from-the-mandalorian-after-abhorrent-social-media-posts/

Gina Carano has been dropped from “The Mandalorian” after the actress posted comments Lucasfilm said it considers “abhorrent” on her social media.

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable,” said a Lucasfilm spokesperson in a statement to TheWrap.

Carano came under fire on Wednesday as the hashtag #FireGinaCarano trended over an Instagram post comparing being Republican today to being Jewish during Nazi Germany.

“Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views,” wrote Carano.

Another Instagram story post showed someone with several masks covering their entire face with the caption “Meanwhile in California.”

titsonritz
02-11-21, 14:10

Easily one of my favorite "pre code" films for a lot of reasons.

Maureen O'Sullivan was hot, certainly worth watching. They must have cut the hell out of those risqué swim scenes back when I saw them on TV. I haven't seen these old Tarzan movies since the '70s when I was a kid. It's cool, no CGI BS, just real stunts, real animals.

Lots for the libtards to hate besides "exploiting the female form".