PDA

View Full Version : WHY?

Willz
12-05-08, 01:41
... I have a M1A early bush rifle, 1/11 twist, 18" barrel, Choate folder orig. Springfield Armory offering in the early '80s' all GI parts other than the receiver.

Now I also have a custom build AR in .5.56, 16 inch, that I like quite well , built on an M4 profile.

What would the 6.8 do for me? Other than expand my range of calibers to stock?

Tell me what's so great about the 6.8 SPC other than it can be stuffed in a 5.56 lower?

I'm leaning toward a .458 SOCOM. BUT my shotgun with slugs can do maybe as much as the .458. in its effective range with more(?) flexibility.

Discuss...please...

:D

Failure2Stop
12-05-08, 05:47
I would first look at the reason the 6.8 came into being- Increased terminal effect in a "standard" AR platform, requiring replacement of only a few select parts/items.

As superior as the 6.8 is in comparison to 5.56, it is still bested by the 7X46 and 7.62x51. However, these are 3 seperate "classes" of ammo, each requiring a different base platform. A nice thing about the 6.8 is that there is no big change when changing application- your entry gun feels like your carbine, which feels like your DM/Sniper Support gun.

If you are limited to, say an M4, the 6.8 is better than the others simply bacuse the others don't fit. If you are free to use whatever you are willing to pay for (in $$ and weight) then your "why" will determine your "what".

rob_s
12-05-08, 06:22
I can only tell you why I'm interested in it...

I have no use for an M1A. I had an FAL and loved it, but the manual of arms was all wrong for an AR shooter. An AR10 is too big/heavy/expensive.

For the cost of any one of those guns ($1k+) I can have a drop-in 6.8 with optics that maintains my EXACT manual of arms with my normal training/game guns. Nothing new to learn/forget. In addition, I can get an SBR 6.8 upper and do the exact same thing on my existing SBR without having to pay the $200 again.

DHC45
12-05-08, 11:31
The problem with 6.8 is the price of ammo... IMHO, the price will never come down to anything resembling "normal"... If all you intend to do is precision shooting, it might be worthwhile, but if you intend to shoot it like an average M4-type rifle, I feel it is cost prohibitive (unless you can just plain afford it).

rob_s
12-05-08, 11:34
The problem with 6.8 is the price of ammo... IMHO, the price will never come down to anything resembling "normal"... If all you intend to do is precision shooting, it might be worthwhile, but if you intend to shoot it like an average M4-type rifle, I feel it is cost prohibitive (unless you can just plain afford it).

Which is exactly why you do what I suggested above. Get a 5.56 (or 5.45, or .22) upper for training, and a 6.8 upper for when you need the extra oomph. :D

Iraq Ninja
12-05-08, 13:28
Willz,

One thing you forgot to mention is what you intend to do with your weapons.

I assume it is for fun and self protection. Are you a LEO or civilian? Are you going to hunt with it? Three gun matches? Do you think you will be shooting at live targets at long range? Or at vehicles? etc...

Also, it is a good idea to put a good description in your title post, instead of just "why", since you want to attract interest and thus get answers and comments.

Dave L.
12-05-08, 13:53
Which is exactly why you do what I suggested above. Get a 5.56 (or 5.45, or .22) upper for training, and a 6.8 upper for when you need the extra oomph. :D

I completely agree with the above. The only reason I got into the 6.8 world was to Deer Hunt with an AR. 5.56 is for shooting; 6.8 is for killing.

Cold
12-05-08, 20:53
I'm leaning toward a .458 SOCOM. BUT my shotgun with slugs can do maybe as much as the .458. in its effective range with more(?) flexibility.

When your slug gun gives you 5 shot groups like my 458 SOCOM does then you have something.

405 grain (I.E. cheep, Remy HP bullet).

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7290/458ij8.jpg

458 SOCOM and 450 Bushmaster big bores will exceed the 12 ga slug range in the hands of the right shooter, thats all there is to it. Plus the trigger options offered for the AR is better then most slug guns I have used.

6.8 ammo is coming down, albeit slowly in price, SSA has 90 grain loads at or below 15 dollars a box, they sold out right away post Nov 4th of course, but they will get more.

Willz
12-05-08, 21:47
Wow! that's impressive Cold.:cool:

Cold
12-05-08, 22:16
Wow! that's impressive Cold.:cool:

If you make it to Ga where I currently am, look me up, I'll let you test fire my big bore battery ;)

DHC45
12-05-08, 22:42

Valid point, however, I have found it cheaper to just load 75gr OTM or TAP. Friends in both SF and SWAT have had good results with both (respectively). If it works for them, figure it will work for me. :)

rob_s
12-06-08, 07:01
Valid point, however, I have found it cheaper to just load 75gr OTM or TAP. Friends in both SF and SWAT have had good results with both (respectively). If it works for them, figure it will work for me. :)

Except that, depending on your use, it may not "work fine", and better is still better.

I have shot two hogs with 75 grain OTM Black Hills. The first was a 60 pounder that I dropped with a heart/lung shot in her tracks. The second was closer to 100 lbs and the fragmenting nature of rounds that are designed for two-leggers is far from ideal on game.

A better round is always a better round. With the lower compatibility there really is no downside to using a better round for defense and saving the lesser round for training.

If I were starting today with building/buying ARs I would most likely have one 16" in 5.56 and one SBR (preferably both Noveske N4s), with identical uppers for each in 6.8 and .22LR. One 5.56, one 6.8,and one .22LR can for each and I'd be well stocked for literally any potential shooting requirement/engagement.

DHC45
12-06-08, 22:26
If I were starting today with building/buying ARs I would most likely have one 16" in 5.56 and one SBR (preferably both Noveske N4s), with identical uppers for each in 6.8 and .22LR. One 5.56, one 6.8,and one .22LR can for each and I'd be well stocked for literally any potential shooting requirement/engagement.

Very sound and solid plan, even if they can't be Noveskes.

Check your PM.

Willz
12-09-08, 14:12
If you make it to Ga where I currently am, look me up, I'll let you test fire my big bore battery ;)

I'm in SC and travel to ATL quite often I may take you up on that. I also hit the Suches area at least twice a year on my motorcycle.

I'm already leaning heavily toward the .458 SOCOM anyway. shooting one will undoubtedly push me over the edge.:D