PDA

View Full Version : Switching banks.....any advice?

Arik
02-10-21, 08:24
I have BoA and after their stunt last week I want nothing to do with them so I'm looking for a new bank or credit union and while I'm at it I may as well go with one that is 2A/constitutional/conservative/not woke...etc.

Preferably one that has an app and/or multiple branches. I realize this may be an impossible task.

If you're in the Philly area and know of a local bank let me know too

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PracticalRifleman
02-10-21, 08:28
I live in a rural area. I chose a local bank. They have a fully functional app, ATMs scattered throughout the region, and six branches. I’m sure they are out there in your area, being it’s much larger than mine. Perhaps a state bank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
02-10-21, 08:36
Credit unions, in general, are better to deal with. If you can't find one you like, I'd second the local bank. Almost any national bank will have ranges of political pressure and some degree of "wokeness." Smaller local banks sometimes avoid both.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
02-10-21, 08:36
If you or any of your family members were ever in any of the services (Army/Navy/Marines/CG, ect), then Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) is THE bank for you... and it's most certainly 2A friendly.

PS - Friends don't let friends suffer under Bank (Stank) of America.

Arik
02-10-21, 08:40
If you or any of your family members were ever in any of the services (Army/Navy/Marines/CG, ect), then Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) is THE bank for you... and it's most certainly 2A friendly.No service members in the family.

I don't know of too many credit unions here. PhiladelphiaFCU requires living in the city, which I don't. PFFCU I think takes none Police/Fire members but doesn't mean they're what I'm looking for. There's also UkrainianFCU. I'd have to check both those out

chamber143
02-10-21, 08:46
Sadly any and every sector of American society feels the need to bend the knee and appease BLM types and it’s a sad thing. There will probably not be a nationwide one and most local ones if pressured will kneel as well as to not be taken out by political and or community operatives. I am with a regional bank and the people there I know personally and support them. My bank is all about their equality to LGBT type stuff but they don’t throw it in your face. The sane common sense side lost this election (whether stolen or not, don’t wanna get in to this can of worms) so I told my wife it’s time to blend in and keep our heads down and love to fight another day. I too am sick of all the political correctness crap but it is what it is.

markm
02-10-21, 08:51
Bravo to those who tell BofA to Eff off.

Arik
02-10-21, 08:55
Sadly any and every sector of American society feels the need to bend the knee and appease BLM types and it’s a sad thing. There will probably not be a nationwide one and most local ones if pressured will kneel as well as to not be taken out by political and or community operatives. I am with a regional bank and the people there I know personally and support them. My bank is all about their equality to LGBT type stuff but they don’t throw it in your face. The sane common sense side lost this election (whether stolen or not, don’t wanna get in to this can of worms) so I told my wife it’s time to blend in and keep our heads down and love to fight another day. I too am sick of all the political correctness crap but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm fine with equality. What I'm not fine with is bending to cancel culture and especially buddy buddy with the FBI. I don't like Apple but much respect to them when they refused to provide the key to unlocking their phones.

I don't like my personal information treated as as public knowledge. So a bank that throws info at the feds faster than its asked for is not a bank for me. I realize a warrant might have gotten the same results but it would require an actual warrant and everything that that implies.

Esq.
02-10-21, 09:55
I use a local bank, actually three local banks for various businesses etc....Sometimes it's a PITA to keep up with the different accounts...but I maintain a good relationship with each of them and have personal bankers at two of them. THAT is a world of difference in this era- having a senior bank official you can call or email and get things done rather than getting phone transferred all over the damn building and to other branches because "We don't do auto loans here, that's the 29th street branch".....

I just bought a rental house, it had been on the market for 2 days and my offer was the 11th- and yes, I paid over asking. The deal came up rather quickly and I hadn't done a pre approval. I made my offer, called my banker at 7 PM at home and asked if he could get me a commitment letter. It was on the Realtors desk by 9:30 the next morning. No 20 pages of paperwork, no 2 weeks of back and forth bullshit -we need this, we need that....Just done. I filled out a 3 page financial statement about a week later, sent in 2 years of taxes....We close on the 26th.

Hank6046
02-10-21, 10:09
I use a local bank, actually three local banks for various businesses etc....Sometimes it's a PITA to keep up with the different accounts...but I maintain a good relationship with each of them and have personal bankers at two of them. THAT is a world of difference in this era- having a senior bank official you can call or email and get things done rather than getting phone transferred all over the damn building and to other branches because "We don't do auto loans here, that's the 29th street branch"....

Agreed. I should preface that with stating first that most of our banking is done with USAA, but other then that we have a local credit union that handles the bigger things, auto-loans, and mortgage. Couldn't be happier with them, they realize that they have to work for our business and the customer service makes up for a few shortcomings in their size.

Arik
02-10-21, 10:20
I use a local bank, actually three local banks for various businesses etc....Sometimes it's a PITA to keep up with the different accounts...but I maintain a good relationship with each of them and have personal bankers at two of them. THAT is a world of difference in this era- having a senior bank official you can call or email and get things done rather than getting phone transferred all over the damn building and to other branches because "We don't do auto loans here, that's the 29th street branch".....

I just bought a rental house, it had been on the market for 2 days and my offer was the 11th- and yes, I paid over asking. The deal came up rather quickly and I hadn't done a pre approval. I made my offer, called my banker at 7 PM at home and asked if he could get me a commitment letter. It was on the Realtors desk by 9:30 the next morning. No 20 pages of paperwork, no 2 weeks of back and forth bullshit -we need this, we need that....Just done. I filled out a 3 page financial statement about a week later, sent in 2 years of taxes....We close on the 26th.That's cool but it's not me. I don't do the type of banking that requires personal bankers. It's a place to keep my money besides under the mattress. I'm more concerned about my information being passed around the Fed offices like toilet paper then about having a personal banker on speed dial me

Aside from that I have excellent credit, just a hair shy of 800, so I'm not worried about personal loans. Besides in 23 years of driving I always bought my cars cash and carry. If I were to get a car loan it would be for something that's just out of cash reach so the money would be there anyway

zombiescometh
02-10-21, 10:34
I use a local credit union mostly for savings and then chase bank so that I have access to a atm or branch most places.

Esq.
02-10-21, 11:01
That's cool but it's not me. I don't do the type of banking that requires personal bankers. It's a place to keep my money besides under the mattress. Cars I buy in cash and if I'm financing my credit is excellent and I would have enough money down to afford the monthly payment but that hasn't happened yet. All but one car since 98 have been bought cash used. One was a lease

Agreed, cars are not "investments"- they are a depreciating asset and a necessary evil, I pay cash as well, drive 'em till the tires fall off, lol....Much of the business I do with the banks isn't really even my money- it's client money, but it matters a great deal to the bank where that money "sits" which I control, so I benefit from an increased level of "give a shit" on the part of bank management.

Averageman
02-10-21, 11:04
Local Banks and Credit Unions are the only way to go.
They live there and can't afford to burn you.
When your Bank Manager's kids go to school here, his wife owns a business here and they've put down roots? Then they know they have to play square and fair.

Esq.
02-10-21, 11:14
Local Banks and Credit Unions are the only way to go.
They live there and can't afford to burn you.
When your Bank Manager's kids go to school here, his wife owns a business here and they've put down roots? Then they know they have to play square and fair.

Before I took over our firm we had accounts with Boatmans (Bought out by BOA) and Wells Fargo. We were constantly having to deal with new people- it was a real pain in the ass honestly. You would develop a relationship with someone and they would begin to understand our business etc...and then leave and now I have to deal with 25 year old MBA boy, again, who thinks he knows anything about anything.

Since moving over to local banks, I've had the same people working with me and if they leave? They only go higher up in the same bank- meaning that you have developed a real relationship with someone who is now even higher in the pecking order. Just better all the way around.

Dr. Bullseye
02-10-21, 11:57
I used to levy and execute of bank accounts for a living so I am pretty familiar with who they are and what they are. BofA is just plain incompetent, that is the overriding sensation in dealing with them. Wells Fargo just plain lies about everything and overall is the very worst bank in the USA. Chase tries to be Wells Fargo. Other national banks fall in a descending order of negatives.

I have a procedure in picking a bank. First, it has to be a small, regional bank. Second, it has to be in the nearest community to me of any size. Third, and most important, it has to have a telephone, in that physical bank, that rings and a real person answers. No recording devices.

Follow these three "banking laws" and I promise success.

dwhitehorne
02-10-21, 12:56
I've been a credit union member since the USMC started requiring direct deposit. It looks like plenty of options around Phily. David

https://www.creditunionsonline.com/credit-unions-in-philadelphia-pa.html

ChattanoogaPhil
02-10-21, 13:12
I went into a BofA one time about a decade ago. They were advertising a free safety deposit box for opening a checking account with a relatively small deposit. I made the mistake of going there on a Friday (crowded). I was surprised that nearly all the customers appeared Mexican.

utahjeepr
02-11-21, 21:36
I've been a credit union member since the USMC started requiring direct deposit. It looks like plenty of options around Phily. David

https://www.creditunionsonline.com/credit-unions-in-philadelphia-pa.html

I screwed up and left the Navy Federal Credit Union when I got married (X0311). Now I can't get back in. If you are .mil I highly recommend keeping your account open for life. I believe all branches are eligible for NFCU. Big green may have as good of a CU, I don't know. I haven't needed the benefits (I buy cars cash, ...) but you can't beat the rates and the service of a good CU.

ETA: I currently use USBANK. I hear good and bad about them, but they have been GREAT to me for the last 8 years.

OH58D
02-11-21, 22:19
Another reason to dump B of A is early last year, their CEO was advocating the elimination of cash in society. Here in New Mexico, B of A won't even take coins from non-commercial account holders. They hand out paper rollers and make you roll your coins, provided you have enough for a full roll. Also, they've been closing down their drive-up windows and pushing everyone to exterior ATM's. Their service stinks, but I have one of my commercial accounts with them, and a local New Mexico bank as well who as been in business since 1902.

The_War_Wagon
02-12-21, 06:24
If you're in the Philly area and know of a local bank let me know too

I stayed with NCNB after they became NationsBank, but BoA blew chunks BEFORE the merger, so I bailed on them.

First Commonwealth offers free checking, and as they had my account straightened out within 24 hours after it got hacked once, they're alright by me. I'm over here in da' 'BURGH for reference; presumably they bank on that end of the Commonwealth as well.

Arik
02-12-21, 06:42
Another reason to dump B of A is early last year, their CEO was advocating the elimination of cash in society. Here in New Mexico, B of A won't even take coins from non-commercial account holders. They hand out paper rollers and make you roll your coins, provided you have enough for a full roll. Also, they've been closing down their drive-up windows and pushing everyone to exterior ATM's. Their service stinks, but I have one of my commercial accounts with them, and a local New Mexico bank as well who as been in business since 1902.I do the tool your own as well but only because otherwise everyone charges a % for using the automated coin counter. At one point TD Bank offered free count counter service but later charged a small % for it. However, it was discovered that they were skimming money on top of charging a % so they stopped offering that service altogether. Screw that. I'm not paying for a machine to count my money. I do it at home while watching TV.

Taking a ride tomorrow to several credit unions to see what's up

everready73
02-12-21, 12:44
I use First National and First Commonwealth. Both are regional PA banks and i dont have complaints on either. I am closer to Pit than Phila, so maybe check if they are down your way