PDA

View Full Version : Photography 101- (remedial course)

utahjeepr
02-11-21, 21:17
I keep telling myself I need to get a halfway decent camera and learn to take "not-screwed-up" pics. I get awesome photo ops all the time, but I can't really do much to capture them. The Corps taught me how to take 35mm pics, but that was different (not for looking pretty).

I have Bald Eagles that winter on and around my property but cell phone pics look like freshly boiled a$$. Every year I think "I'm going to get a camera.", and every year I don't. I have crappy cell phone pics of 13 eagles in one tree. 13 eagles, 13 colonies, how cool would that be if the pic was even halfway decent! They hang out on the ice but they are too far. Hell I had 4 in a tree 100ft from my bedroom window, still looked like crap. I actually had to take a pic with my phone through binos to get it to look less than 100 miles away.

They will get leaving soon, maybe next year.

Can anyone recommend a good starter camera good for 100-1000M.

OH58D
02-11-21, 22:51
In 35mm I used to shoot a Leica R7 SLR. For a "starter" camera to do what you want, look for a Nikon D7500. It has a nearly 21 megapixel CMOS image sensor. Best Buy has the camera with two lenses for around $1299.00. This camera has enough features to keep you happy for a while and you won't out-grow it too fast.

I currently shoot a Nikon D850.

Sikiguya
02-11-21, 23:49
I get what you are looking for....I jumped back in to shoot my daughter and son’s sport recently. Got spoiled by other parents shooting them for me.

Don’t get the base Canon EOS Rebel or Nikon base model. Buy a mid tier camera a few year old. Just like guns..I rather buy a used quality gun than a new cheap model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-12-21, 03:03
1000mm ecks, that is long. Not saying you don't need it, but 500-600 is long- and if you get a good full frame sensor and 20+MP, you can crop.

I'd have to say that I'm off the pace- I still shoot DSLRs and not the new mirrorless ones. That said, there are so many awesome FF DSLRs out there.

I have a 5DmkII and a 1DXII from Canon, with a 70-200 and 300/2.8ISv1 lens. Add in a 1.4x TC when I want to bump the reach. The 5DmkII is the first 'real' FF camera that still holds its own, at least in reasonable daylight. The MkIII I would skip, the 5DMkIV is still a beast- great AF and low light. I swear my 1DXII can see in the dark.

You mention birds, I think of them as the pinnacle of photography gear- small, fast, far away and fleeting. Even them 600mm is pretty long.

I'm partial to Canon since the early 80s. Nikon is good stuff, but Sony and Fuji grabbed the stick and ran with it when 'mirrorless' interchangeable lens camera came out. Sony just got inside of Canon and Nikon's OODA loop and really hurt Nikon. Canon, due to going with a brand new mount in the late 80s with their EOS mount and pro support dominated sports photography. That means there are a lot of great lenses out there. I bought my 300/2.8ISv1 used for a couple of grand.

I'd look for the lens I want and then pick a camera. There are a bunch of 100/150 to 400-600 lenses out there that would fit your needs. Look at the Sigma lenses too. Then get a camera with a god AF and 20+MP. Full frame is better, but the Canon 7DMkII is also something to look at. I got a 1DmkIII a decade ago used and like having a good 1911, it's hard to go back to consumer grades.

There are so many good cameras out there. Really, anything in the last 10 years or so is a strong contender and can be found for good prices. My guess is that those prices will fall as Canon and Nikon bring out their true pro level mirrorless cameras.

I don't know if an all-in-one would work for you? At least on the long end- and watch for 'electronic zoom' to be used to calculate the equivalent focal length.

SteyrAUG
02-12-21, 05:25
Back in 2013 I bought a Nikon D5100 in anticipation of the eXXXotica convention and of course that year they moved it from Miami to Vegas....assholes.

Since then, it's been my intention to actually learn to use a SLR camera because I'm still using it like a point and shoot. Gotten some good results from time to time, but right now I still don't know how to use half of the features.

GH41
02-12-21, 07:20
Just like with guns... It's the Indian that counts not the arrow. The bid to shoot the Charleston fashion show was always given to the same photographer and others complained. They claimed his editing staff and high-end gear gave him an unfair advantage. The next year he shot it using an iPhone, published it straight out of the camera and got paid. That's how good he was at composition. The long game is difficult to achieve without spending big money. Many overcome the $$$ problem by stalking wildlife or shooting from a blind. Think bow vs rifle hunter. To me the hardest part of mastering photography was learning how to make light work for you not against you. Ask Stickman.

Alex V
02-12-21, 08:21
Just like with guns... It's the Indian that counts not the arrow. The bid to shoot the Charleston fashion show was always given to the same photographer and others complained. They claimed his editing staff and high-end gear gave him an unfair advantage. The next year he shot it using an iPhone, published it straight out of the camera and got paid. That's how good he was at composition. The long game is difficult to achieve without spending big money. Many overcome the $$$ problem by stalking wildlife or shooting from a blind. Think bow vs rifle hunter. To me the hardest part of mastering photography was learning how to make light work for you not against you. Ask Stickman.

This. 1000 times over. I fall in and out of love with photography on a cyclical basis since like 2004ish. Got a D70 when it first came out and Nikon offered them for Best Buy employees with a crazy discount. Upgraded that to a D200, then to a D750, but they seem to sit for years then used heavily for a few months then back to sitting. I've taken just as good a photo with my D70 and I have with the D200 as I have with a D750. GH41 is right, it's not the gear, its the user.

Being good at LightRoom and/or Photoshop also helps correct any shortcomings you may have in the field but it cant add information you didn't capture first.

If there is one piece of advice I could give, it's always shoot in RAW.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-12-21, 10:08
And the best gear is the gear you actually have with you. Too big and heavy to carry translates to CCW and photography. The key is being there...

everready73
02-12-21, 12:43
I was looking into this a while back. Many more here more experienced than me, but the general consensus i got was mirror-less is the way to go.

The sony A6000/60001 came up in a lot of the recommendations i read and it is under 1k

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-alpha-a6000-mirrorless-camera-two-lens-kit-with-16-50mm-and-55-210mm-lenses-black/4750000.p?skuId=4750000&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=1267&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1268655&gclid=CjwKCAiA65iBBhB-EiwAW253W88vtNWqyTaq-vKYgECMzG9TY-9J7DOABqHFIKuNv34EpK4MgqZeshoCB6UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

utahjeepr
02-12-21, 12:45
Thanks guys. I'm digging through and looking up the suggestions.

OH58D
02-12-21, 12:52
The question is how many of you have shot large format film (4x5 and 8x10)? I have. Started out as a teenager with an old Kodak Monitor from the 1940's shoot 620 format which is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. Graduated up to a 4x5 Sinar Bron monorail camera and finally a wooden 8x10 folding field camera. A lot of work toting around a 16 lbs camera, 15 lbs Gitzo Tripod and 2-3 pound Schneider and Rodenstock lenses. Shot transparencies and would enlarge on a defunct process called Ilford Cibachrome.

When not doing that I used a Leica SLR and Kodachrome. Now it's all digital, and enlarging on metal prints. My dream camera is a Fujifilm GFX 50S, whith a 51.4 mp chip, which could give similar results to 4x5 sheet film. So for me, my past time is guns and cameras - all allow me to shoot.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-12-21, 14:00
The question is how many of you have shot large format film (4x5 and 8x10)? I have. Started out as a teenager with an old Kodak Monitor from the 1940's shoot 620 format which is 2 1/4 x 3 1/4. Graduated up to a 4x5 Sinar Bron monorail camera and finally a wooden 8x10 folding field camera. A lot of work toting around a 16 lbs camera, 15 lbs Gitzo Tripod and 2-3 pound Schneider and Rodenstock lenses. Shot transparencies and would enlarge on a defunct process called Ilford Cibachrome.

When not doing that I used a Leica SLR and Kodachrome. Now it's all digital, and enlarging on metal prints. My dream camera is a Fujifilm GFX 50S, whith a 51.4 mp chip, which could give similar results to 4x5 sheet film. So for me, my past time is guns and cameras - all allow me to shoot.

And when I thought you couldn't get any cooler, you drop this on us.... If you start talking about your still and Mesa Whiskey....

PS, the 100MP Fuji just came out.... ;)

GH41
02-12-21, 15:40
And when I thought you couldn't get any cooler, you drop this on us.... If you start talking about your still and Mesa Whiskey....

Pixel count isn't everything. It does allow you to crop deeper and print larger but even an advanced user doesn't need more than 20MP other than for bragging rights.

OH58D
02-12-21, 16:44

I've got pieces of an old still, but that was a contraption used by my great grandfather. And even worse --- I don't drink at this point in my life. During my Army years early on I developed a trait which would have led me to a bad place. I stopped it cold in it's tracks.

Using view cameras to shoot 8x10 sheet film in the field is why you have kids. They act as porters to carry your gear when you set up. Then they get bored as hell while you're waiting for the light and clouds to be just perfect. When they're young, they give you odd looks while you're focusing on that upside down image on the ground glass under a dark cloth.

The Fujifilm GFX 50S will probably be big enough for me. I'm kind of an old soul in photography. I use a Nikon Full frame D 850, but still use manual focus vintage lenses. It slows the process down and gives more time for reflection.

I recommended the Nikon 7500 to the OP just because I know that system. Getting into the reasoning for a Crop Frame (DX) camera at this point versus a full frame (FX) camera may be information overload for someone learning the craft. I would tell him to turn off everything automatic and practice. This comes from someone who has used a Pentax Digital Spot Meter or a Gossen Lunapro Six incident meter and the Zone System. I am anachronistic.

FYI it's friday afternoon at 3:48pm and the wind is blowing, spitting snow and 17 degrees actual temp. Going to be a frosty friday night.

Honu
02-12-21, 21:48
full time pro last 20 years

IMHO mirrorless is where it's all going over DSLR everything about them is really better these days including the new glass etc...
I shoot D810 for my last DSLR and now on the new Z series will never go back ;)
moving to the fuji med format stuff most likely soon and keep the Z for event work

for birds in flight etc... some modern FF mirrorless would be my recommendation

mirrorless the focus is superior these days because it covers the whole frame so edge to edge and the extra features they have being able to use the rear screen etc...
some do not like the EVF (electronic viewfinder) but again the lastest are amazing and you truly see what you are getting which is a HUGE help

the f/4 kinda glass which is not as much as the nicer f/2.8 zooms etc... because of the new mirrorless mounts the newer glass again is so so much better quality so the f/4 stuff beats the 2.8 quality with ease so it is something to think about looking more into for the long term
the one downside is battery life not as good BUT for most does not matter for a pro shooting all day for 3 days in a row it is a bit of a pain but doable

sony canon or nikon folks can argue till the end but like said its not going to matter that much get them in your hand what fits and comfort

OH58D
02-12-21, 23:04
For me, I have a huge collection of transparencies (Fujichrome and Ektachrome) in 4x5 and 8x10. I've been spending a little of my disposable income being selective and sending off to have drum scans made of those, for adjusting in Photoshop then printing. I miss the days of direct positive to positive printing of those large format images on Cibachrome.

I was never into the fast action stuff of birds in flight, etc. It was always a tripod and some landscape image of old buildings and ruins, etc. A slow and contemplative process. I could never do commercial photography involving clients because I wouldn't have the patience.

utahjeepr
02-16-21, 15:02
This could be as bad as guns. If I'm gonna spend x then might as well...

I'm already looking at housings. Cause you know.

chadbag
02-16-21, 22:22
Sony has a great line up of mirror less. I have a less than full frame Alpha 6300, which for me and my skill, shoots great photos and takes great movies.

My brother is an pro-am (and until his latest assignment a PA officer in the military -- AZ Guard -- and spent some good time in Afghanistan a couple years ago and took his own equipment, since, as an officer, he was not entitled to the full pro equipment allocation the normal enlisted PA guys get -- and he did wonderful stuff with his high end Nikon he had sent over, which I think is a mirrorless). From talking with him the biggest thing is knowing your equipment -- how to set the various bits and what the practical effects of each setting are -- and also composition -- how to compose really good photos. Good after-the-fact editing skills are good to know as well. Like the example mentioned earlier, a pro can do it on an iPhone. Where I can't do it on an iPhone or on a $5k body.

P2Vaircrewman
02-17-21, 09:45
I started on photography when I started scuba diving. First was a homemade housing for a Kodak Brownie in the 50's. My last film camera was a Canon F1 which I made a metal housing for with a dome port to correct water refraction. After a lifetime of looking at things through a viewer I said enough, I want to enjoy what I am seeing in the present not later in a picture. I have a closet with various cameras, film and digital but now all I use is a phone. You can become a slave to a camera.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-17-21, 13:18
I have a Canon F1(new) that I think is the pinnacle of mechanical/matched-diode cameras. That and an A1 and a T90 are fun to play with. Love B&w portraits from film with an 85/1.8. For general snapshots, it’s hard to beat the current camera phones. Long distance is where the MPs and 100s of mm of lens focal length can’t be substituted.

The prime thing is “be there”.