PDA

View Full Version : Forth Worth pile up.

Averageman
02-12-21, 10:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoi_5zMTu2o
They are still pretty sure they haven't recovered everybody out of that mess.
Amazing .

markm
02-12-21, 10:51
Wow. Didn't hear about this. I see these messes and assume one stupid f@&king ass wipe cause the WHOLE thing.

TomMcC
02-12-21, 11:10
Too fast, too close.

Gabriel556
02-12-21, 12:05
That is sad. That area is definitely not ready to handle ice.

matemike
02-12-21, 12:15
Crazy and very tragic. 133 vehicles total. The semis looked like battering rams out of control and all anyone could do was standby and watch and try to stay out of the way. Result of a long section of elevated road and rainy icy conditions and not being able to recognize any of it in the dark after it was too late. Very sad. Be careful everyone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=510IDqQBG0M

m1a_scoutguy
02-12-21, 12:17
Saw this the other day, pretty bad! I sent it to my Son-In-Law (Texan) and busted on him saying bad enough people in TX drive like nuts but then add Ice and you're in BIG trouble !! Not much you can do with ice,4 wheel/All wheel drive do NOTHING for you as some people may think! Being an Upstate NY guy I have had my share of ice experiences, none have turned out well, LOL! Sorry for the loss of life, very sad.

Black_Sheep
02-12-21, 12:43
This confirms what a good friend told me when he moved to Texas from Minnesota years ago. He said in Minnesota drivers slow down, in Texas they do 80 until they pile up.

The second video was painful to watch, tragic really. Prayers for all involved, as well as their loved ones...

Coal Dragger
02-12-21, 13:21
Sorry for any loss of life.

This is what happens when you have a lot of inexperienced drivers driving in winter conditions. Plus Texans drive like total ass clowns, at least every time I’ve been there and when they’re out of state and I notice the plates.

dmd08
02-12-21, 13:26
Seeing that FJ Cruiser get pancaked made me cringe. But the driver has apparently posted on reddit that he's ok. Incredible.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-12-21, 14:04
And tires with no snow or ice rating. I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was scary as hell. I think it had been traded around from down south and the tires were complete crap in the cold. 4WD doesn't work on stopping, and the weight of the system actually works against you.

The DFW crash is frightening. A semi comes in and a car gets ejected 20 feet straight up.....

Coal Dragger
02-12-21, 15:04
The most discouraging part is the semi drivers. These are guys and gals who drive for a living, and you would think have experienced driving in the crappy freezing rain/black ice conditions. So why weren’t they slowing way way down? Was visibility impaired that morning?

Averageman
02-12-21, 15:36
You know we have a lot of transplants here in my area, lots of Military.
I would submit to you, some roads here in Texas aren't designed to work well in an ice storm. I know there are standards, but I can think of a couple of a couple of places in Austin I wouldn't drive, they are 40 ft in the air and freeze with a wind, water and -32 degrees.
When those were designed they had to know it would be possible.

Whiskey_Bravo
02-12-21, 15:51
This confirms what a good friend told me when he moved to Texas from Minnesota years ago. He said in Minnesota drivers slow down, in Texas they do 80 until they pile up.

The second video was painful to watch, tragic really. Prayers for all involved, as well as their loved ones...

The most discouraging part is the semi drivers. These are guys and gals who drive for a living, and you would think have experienced driving in the crappy freezing rain/black ice conditions. So why weren’t they slowing way way down? Was visibility impaired that morning?

Sorry for any loss of life.

This is what happens when you have a lot of inexperienced drivers driving in winter conditions. Plus Texans drive like total ass clowns, at least every time I’ve been there and when they’re out of state and I notice the plates.

I have lived in the south as well as in Minnesota. People like to make comments about those in the south driving during the winter. Up north you drive on snow mostly which really isn't that hard. This Texas boy learned how to do it after moving to MN in November. Ice was different there as well as you could tell it was ice since it was usually just frozen snow. I saw my share of asshat drivers driving too fast and ending up in a corn field while I was there.

Here "black" ice is the problem. You can't see it until it is too late. It is also not an every winter occurrence so yeah, people are obviously not experienced at it.

This particular stretch is part of a long elevated road and the crash happened on the downhill side. The uphill side did not have ice so everyone was driving normally. The downhill side is where the ice had formed, more than likely very quickly. Nobody knew what was happening until it was too late. The freezing rain that caused the ice was not widespread and happened in patches. I live in DFW and have driven this section of 35 many times. The 9 million over passes and whatever you call these don't make things any easier.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/02/5b/b0/025bb08914e548f6f2f88e8ea5549d53.jpg

Straight Shooter
02-12-21, 16:49
I have lived in the south as well as in Minnesota. People like to make comments about those in the south driving during the winter. Up north you drive on snow mostly which really isn't that hard. This Texas boy learned how to do it after moving to MN in November. Ice was different there as well as you could tell it was ice since it was usually just frozen snow. I saw my share of asshat drivers driving too fast and ending up in a corn field while I was there.

Here "black" ice is the problem. You can't see it until it is too late. It is also not an every winter occurrence so yeah, people are obviously not experienced at it.

This particular stretch is part of a long elevated road and the crash happened on the downhill side. The uphill side did not have ice so everyone was driving normally. The downhill side is where the ice had formed, more than likely very quickly. Nobody knew what was happening until it was too late. The freezing rain that caused the ice was not widespread and happened in patches. I live in DFW and have driven this section of 35 many times. The 9 million over passes and whatever you call these don't make things any easier.

The MIXMASTER, amongst other nicknames.

Black_Sheep
02-12-21, 17:18

Quoted for truth. I am in no way insinuating Minnesota drivers are somehow superior, my work has me traveling around the metro area and I witness boneheaded stuff all day long. We get a lot of black ice when it’s too cold for de-icing chemicals to work effectively. Most of the multi car pile ups here occur at lower speeds so they don’t have the tragic consequences of the Texas crash. Horrible, just horrible...

vicious_cb
02-12-21, 17:58

There's literally an indicator on your dash when the temp gets close to freezing, that should be a clue that you should be driving carefully.

dante2
02-12-21, 18:34
I've been driving a semi of some sort or another for over 20 years. With more truck drivers having cell phones the CB radio is disappearing from the truck. Years ago drivers were always giving warnings about accidents, DOT, weather, and helping each other out over the radio. A CB might have minimized some of the carnage by helping to shut some of trucks down before they got involved.

El Vaquero
02-12-21, 19:04
I live in the DFW area and have driven through many parts of the country. I can say without a doubt when it comes to driving in inclement weather, DFW drivers are the worst. They consistently drive too fast, too close, and with poor equipment (low tire tread). Texas also has crappy (or rather no laws) governing semi truck speeds so you have lots of semi truck drivers doing 75/80 in the fast lanes. Just plain stupid.

Hopefully they’ll pass some new laws as a result of this. Very frightening and tragic. Can’t imagine crashing into someone and then waiting to get crashed into.

And someone mentioned it earlier but Texas gets a lot of icy roads, definitely not the same as driving in snow. Texas also has lots of drivers that think 4WD = ability to drive in ice. Ice is the ultimate honey badger. Doesn’t care what kind of car who drive, it’s gonna wreck you.

SteyrAUG
02-12-21, 19:06
Too fast, too close.

Add cell phones.

Good thing they don't have REAL freezing rain (an inch thick or more) in Texas and Florida, they'd never survive winter. Say what you will about Seattle but those guys are jedi level drivers, grades as steep as San Francisco and brutal winters with ice on the interstates. I honestly don't know how they do it.

This is also one of the reasons I bailed out of Florida. Cell phone usage at 75-85mph is so common I've been one lane over or three cars back from some incredible wrecks and I knew eventually the house wins and you can't beat the odds forever.

My wife was in a really bad one about 6 months before we were able to move, luckily no serious injuries and just soft tissue damage. I almost felt like it was my fault because we hadn't been able to move yet. I don't miss any of that BS.

Coal Dragger
02-12-21, 21:37
I live in the DFW area and have driven through many parts of the country. I can say without a doubt when it comes to driving in inclement weather, DFW drivers are the worst. They consistently drive too fast, too close, and with poor equipment (low tire tread). Texas also has crappy (or rather no laws) governing semi truck speeds so you have lots of semi truck drivers doing 75/80 in the fast lanes. Just plain stupid.

Hopefully they’ll pass some new laws as a result of this. Very frightening and tragic. Can’t imagine crashing into someone and then waiting to get crashed into.

And someone mentioned it earlier but Texas gets a lot of icy roads, definitely not the same as driving in snow. Texas also has lots of drivers that think 4WD = ability to drive in ice. Ice is the ultimate honey badger. Doesn’t care what kind of car who drive, it’s gonna wreck you.

Tires of the right design will effectively nullify ice within reason.

I have a coworker who drives a Mustang GT year round, commutes 90 miles to work, in South Dakota.

His car wears Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 studded snow tires right now. Center studs are shaped for traction going forwards or stopping, and the studs on the tread shoulders are shaped for lateral grip. Those tires are the shit on ice or snow. Ice might not give a fvck but neither do Hakkapeliitta’s.

If I have to choose between AWD/4WD and appropriate tires for winter driving on roads, I’ll take the tires 100% of the time.

Vandal
02-12-21, 21:45
Add cell phones.

Good thing they don't have REAL freezing rain (an inch thick or more) in Texas and Florida, they'd never survive winter. Say what you will about Seattle but those guys are jedi level drivers, grades as steep as San Francisco and brutal winters with ice on the interstates. I honestly don't know how they do it.

I live in the Seattle metro area, we are expecting up to 10 inches of snow in the next 24-48 hours, followed by rain. The trick is they just shut the city down. One inch of snow and ice and everyone who can stays home. The crashes I'm going to work this weekend will be over-confident drivers in their trucks, SUVs, and Subarus coming back from Snoqualmie Pass.

The real Jedi driving we have here is doing 70+ on I5 and I405 in a driving rain with no accidents. It's quite the sight to see, I knew I was a local when I was doing 100 running lights and sirens on the freeway in a storm. Snow and ice will shut King County down. The city I work in owns one plow, one. WSDOT sometimes feels bad and runs their plows through town on the main roads.

I sold Subaru and Audi for 6 years in Eastern WA. Great AWDs but people forget they stop like everything else in the snow and ice, poorly. Folks on the Eastside of the state really know how to drive in the snow. A foot plus doesn't even slow Spokane and CdA, ID down.

Rifleman_04
02-12-21, 23:16

I have a coworker who drives a Mustang GT year round, commutes 90 miles to work, in South Dakota.

His car wears Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 studded snow tires right now. Center studs are shaped for traction going forwards or stopping, and the studs on the tread shoulders are shaped for lateral grip. Those tires are the shit on ice or snow. Ice might not give a fvck but neither do Hakkapeliitta’s.

If I have to choose between AWD/4WD and appropriate tires for winter driving on roads, I’ll take the tires 100% of the time.

I had Nokian Nordman 4's on my Focus and used to scare the shit out of friends when I'd barrel into icy sweepers at 80 mph on unmaintained highways here in ND and they would hold. My new 4WD pickup doesn't feel nearly as planted as that car with Nokians did on ice or snow covered roads.

Arik
02-12-21, 23:46
In 2014 stock in a 79 car pileup on the PA turnpike. Sat there for 7hrs. Had more pics but can't find them

It all started as one car pulled over onto the shoulder right as the snow was starting. Another car saw this and pulled over to see if he can help. As he walked up to the car he was hit by a 3rd car and that started a chain reaction.

Poor guy who got out to help was a young doctor. Didn't make it

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
02-13-21, 00:44
Yeah never stop or pull over in heavy traffic, I don’t care what the weather conditions are.

Everyone has a cell phone, and tow trucks are a thing; there’s no sense in putting yourself at risk helping another motorist on a busy street or highway. Unless it’s your job, and then you should probably have the right equipment to increase your safety margin.

vicious_cb
02-13-21, 03:55
Yeah never stop or pull over in heavy traffic, I don’t care what the weather conditions are.

Everyone has a cell phone, and tow trucks are a thing; there’s no sense in putting yourself at risk helping another motorist on a busy street or highway. Unless it’s your job, and then you should probably have the right equipment to increase your safety margin.

Yep, pretty stupid for a doctor. Even Basic EMT training teaches to secure the scene before going in to help.

AndyLate
02-13-21, 07:22

Unfortunately studded tires are not really practical in the South and ice events are not a common thing. I remember them from SoDak though.

My Mom and Dad are on their second Lincoln Town Car. When they had the first, a total stranger gave them 4 like-new mounted winter tires because he traded his Town Car in and had no use for the tires. Dad said the winter tires were noticeably better on the ice and he religiously swapped tires twice a year each winter until he sold the car.

I find it best to stay home if its icy here in Alabama. Its 2-3 times a year max and burns off by afternoon usually.

Andy

Averageman
02-13-21, 08:32
I was going to visit my Mom In Arizona on her Birthday. The is the second day of what looks like three or four days of waiting to leave.
My Friend who drives a Truck is coming up on Dallas, he says he's going 45mph and pulling over as soon as he feels any slippage. Dude should have stayed in and retired.

Arik
02-13-21, 10:20
Yep, pretty stupid for a doctor. Even Basic EMT training teaches to secure the scene before going in to help.People pull over all the time on the PA turnpike. Exits are few and far between and rest areas are even fewer. However, shoulders are made wider.....truckers sleep there often..... and there are even larger sections for anyone wanting to take a nap or stretch their legs. So they weren't exactly stopped on the road. The 3rd car was most likely not paying attention.

EMTs respond to things. Doctors typically sit in an office. Similar but different. I know 2 doctors, a pediatrician and a gastroenterologist. Never heard anything about securing scenes

Coal Dragger
02-13-21, 11:01
Unfortunately studded tires are not really practical in the South and ice events are not a common thing. I remember them from SoDak though.

My Mom and Dad are on their second Lincoln Town Car. When they had the first, a total stranger gave them 4 like-new mounted winter tires because he traded his Town Car in and had no use for the tires. Dad said the winter tires were noticeably better on the ice and he religiously swapped tires twice a year each winter until he sold the car.

I find it best to stay home if its icy here in Alabama. Its 2-3 times a year max and burns off by afternoon usually.

Andy

Well carrying a gun isn’t always super convenient or practical either, yet all of us on here buy, own and carry them. Most of us will never need that gun to defend ourselves in this country, the vast majority of us who have fired a shot in anger didn’t even do so on this continent.

So we’re willing to spend many hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on a sidearm or carbine we’ll probably never use to save our lives. But make the suggestion to buy winter tires, studded or non studded, even if you live down south is “not practical”. Well if you live in North America, even in the southern US every few years you’re going to get some ice and snow in the winter, so that $1K you spend on winter tires is probably way more likely to be used to save your ass than your sidearm.

Mr_Happy1
02-13-21, 11:23
Damn! Why did you have to go and be all practical!

Coal Dragger
02-13-21, 11:52
Not trying to be a downer, just pointing out that we’re all willing to spend money where it suits us for low probability needs.

AndyLate
02-13-21, 15:33
Not trying to be a downer, just pointing out that we’re all willing to spend money where it suits us for low probability needs.

Quality tires with high wet performance are a much better investment here, but we literally have less thsn 5 days a year with snow or ice.

You make a great point for anyone living in a 4 season atea, but we cannot even convince people that tread wear indicators mean amything or temporary spares really are temporary.

Andy

pag23
02-13-21, 18:47
I have BF Goodrich KO2 on my truck, but I still drive carefully in ice or snow as I worry more about other drivers.

People get too confident in all the safety improvements in vehicles, it still comes down to the driver and weather conditions...we see more issues with AWD or 4WD people that think their vehicle is invincible...

kaiservontexas
02-13-21, 21:20
I've been driving a semi of some sort or another for over 20 years. With more truck drivers having cell phones the CB radio is disappearing from the truck. Years ago drivers were always giving warnings about accidents, DOT, weather, and helping each other out over the radio. A CB might have minimized some of the carnage by helping to shut some of trucks down before they got involved.

I am not a trucker, but during my university years. The cobra I had with me in my Toyota Corolla helped with traffic, and some humorous stories told by truckers. Anyway, you are absolutely right about how cb would have helped with traffic. I once saw truckers shutting down I-10/Katy freeway because the cops asked, and; so, they got neck and neck and drove real slow, which forced I-10 west bound to a crawl. It was annoying but I guess necessary. I would not have known what they were doing without the cb, which improved my sitting in traffic mood. I forget the reason for it, but it goes to show the power of truckers and controlling the roads, if they have cb radios.

I am a Texan. DFW has a better understanding of driving in ice then Houston. I have lived in both areas, but native Houstonian. Us locals will slow to a crawl in ice conditions. It literally scares us. I am willing to bet a out of stater caused it. Heck you should listen to our news right now. You would think the end of the world is arriving. Yes, it will be cold. Yes, we will all stay home. Far from the end of the world, but they just go on and on about it.

Rain is another big problem down here for causing accidents. We all slow down expect idiots. I once watched four cars zoom past me at the inner loop, and by the time I reached Katy. All four had wrapped around each other taking several cars with them. A minor pile up, but lethal all the same. Bad weather causes me to white knuckle drive, and if I can just stay out of it.

matemike
02-13-21, 22:32
I’d like to know the total time frame from first wreck/bundled up cars to the last smash. It would have to take a couple of, or even several minutes to make a gathering of 133 vehicles.
I’m not a trucker, but I do know those folks use radios to communicate about speed traps and slow downs/traffic, lot lizards, whatever. Couldn’t a radio transmit have been sent out in time over SSB or CB waves to not go barreling into that area?

On a normal road I’d also imagine that some would try to “hit the ditch” if they could rather than slam into another vehicle.

jsbhike
02-14-21, 12:59

Andy

Like here in South KY from around 8am till noon yesterday. Sometime before 8 the area got a light misting rain that combined with a 31 degree air temp and froze nearly invisible on the ground...no "black ice" puddles that stand out. I didn't realize how thorough it was until I got about a mile from home and decided to turn around and come back. It was nearly impossible to walk or stand on asphalt/concrete that wasn't flat. Hit 33 degrees by 11am and by noon it was like it never happened.

Hohn
02-14-21, 17:00
The MIXMASTER, amongst other nicknames.
Nope, mixmaster is long gone. They tore it out years ago and replaced it with the current “horseshoe.”

I’ve driven both, this is much better than the mixmaster was.

Pappabear
02-14-21, 18:40
I spoke with a good buddy earlier week, and he said its coming. How people don't listen to the news is sad. Very unfortunate.

PB

ThirdWatcher
02-14-21, 20:58
Like here in South KY from around 8am till noon yesterday. Sometime before 8 the area got a light misting rain that combined with a 31 degree air temp and froze nearly invisible on the ground...no "black ice" puddles that stand out. I didn't realize how thorough it was until I got about a mile from home and decided to turn around and come back. It was nearly impossible to walk or stand on asphalt/concrete that wasn't flat. Hit 33 degrees by 11am and by noon it was like it never happened.

Nothing scares me as much as freezing rain. Years ago I responded to a fatal crash on I-90. It was dark and freezing rain and I was driving faster than I should at about 45 in a 70 zone (w/o Emergency Lights or Siren). The Aid Car caught up to me, slowed momentarily and then sped up.

When we arrived at the scene, the Aid Car was unable to stop so they drove to the next exit and returned on the frontage road (which was probably safer anyway). We were about 1/4 mile past a hillcrest and I started throwing out flares as fast as I could but before I made it back there to the hillcrest a large group of vehicles crested the hill. When they saw those flares and the blue lights in the back window flashing, everyone hit the brakes including the semi in the middle of them. Several cars spun out of control including a drunk driver who rolled his F150 in the median. Several other cars slid into the ditch. The semi jackknifed as slid past my patrol car and came to rest in the median with a pierced fuel tank (AKA Haz-Mat Incident). Funny thing was no one hit my patrol car.

Ultimately we had three fatal crashes that night, all within an hour or so in different locations all involving freezing rain. Now that I’m retired I won’t drive in freezing rain if I can avoid it.

Coal Dragger
02-14-21, 22:10
I’ve had more than my fair share of black ice encounters over the years, most recently about a year ago coming home from work at about 0100.

Thankfully I was climbing a hill, no other traffic was in sight, and I had three lanes to play in. Gravity was my friend slowing down before I entered the turn, but when the back end of my truck tried to swap ends with the front I had to go full opposite lock and slide all the way across the other lanes sideways up hill towards the guard rail near where it ended. Would have been a hell of a ride to the bottom if I had gone off. Got it back in order and very gingerly made the rest of the drive, the next day there were cars all over the place on the sides of the road.

A few years before that the wife and I were headed home from Rapid City the day before Thanksgiving. We’d had snow, then it had blown, then melted a bit, and was getting cold enough to freeze again. I had just felt the truck squirm a bit, so I put it in 4X4 and goosed it while on strait level road and did a 4 wheel power slide at 60MPH into the passing lane with no steering input. So I slowed down considerably and was immediately passed by a kid driving a Buick Rendevous, who promptly tried to negotiate a sweeping right hand turn. This resulted in a spectacular 900 some odd degree spin, off the road and then the Buick literally disappeared. Turns out there was a deep concrete culvert that swallowed the damn vehicle.

We stopped, called the accident in, and I walked back to see if the poor bastard was injured. Just some bumps and bruises, and one royally fvcked up Buick. Didn’t take long for the Trooper to get there, and it looked like he slid around a bit too getting slowed down.

Not 30 miles south of there the roads were dry as a bone. Go figure.

thepatriot2705
02-14-21, 23:14
A minor pile up, but lethal all the same. Bad weather causes me to white knuckle drive, and if I can just stay out of it.

I’ve driven through Houston and Dallas. Drivers are nuts in Texas (bless the 85 mph speed limits in middle of nowhere Texas)

Meh, other drivers suck. Only time I’m white knuckle driving is when I get in a sketchy situation storm chasing.

ThirdWatcher
02-15-21, 02:46
I remember the crazy drivers when I was a kid growing up in DFW. Back then, we didn’t get much ice and/or snow (if we did, it was in the latter part of February) so they had snow days. (Didn’t make sense for the Highway Dept. to have snowplows and sanders for 1-2 days a year.)

Averageman
02-15-21, 03:27
I'm North of Austin and South of Waco.
It dumped a foot of snow on us last night. Its going to happen again, that's for sure.

Grand58742
02-15-21, 08:38
I'm North of Austin and South of Waco.
It dumped a foot of snow on us last night. Its going to happen again, that's for sure.

The snow-pocalypse got you bad too?

I got to watch a wrecker pull an idiot out of the neighbor's yard last night. Grocery getter SUV lacking 4WD went across oncoming traffic into the opposing curb and almost over into the pond on the property. Luckily, nobody was injured, there was no traffic on the road and the police weren't far away when it happened. But those tie rods are gonna need replacing...

AndyLate
02-15-21, 09:27
We are just outside the band of winter weather in the South but had some freezing rain last night and its going to get really bad tonight/tomorrow.

Looks like I am working from home for the next few days.

Andy

lowprone
02-15-21, 11:30
Whistiling past the graveyard comes to mind .

AndyLate
02-15-21, 13:16
Me? Nope, its going to hit us tonight. The weather bands are just weird in the South sometimes.

Andy

Averageman
02-15-21, 14:06
Well I just drank my last beer for a while.

ThirdWatcher
02-15-21, 15:54
Whistling past the graveyard comes to mind .

Yup...

jsbhike
02-15-21, 15:57
Grocery getter SUV lacking 4WD .

Think it was around 2003 when I finally saw an SUV without 4wd by way of a coworker that moved here from Florida. Still seems like a goofy idea vs. a station wagon.

Grand58742
02-15-21, 16:08
Think it was around 2003 when I finally saw an SUV without 4wd by way of a coworker that moved here from Florida. Still seems like a goofy idea vs. a station wagon.

I believe it's a "station wagon" so to speak. One of the newer model "SUVs" that isn't really an SUV.

jsbhike
02-15-21, 16:15
I believe it's a "station wagon" so to speak. One of the newer model "SUVs" that isn't really an SUV.

The one she had was a Ford Explorer. Found out the 2wd part when she was freaking out about driving home as the snow was falling one day. A few of us advised her to go slow and stick it in 4wd in case she got in the ditch, then we learned the last part wasn't an option.

Coal Dragger
02-15-21, 18:00

Generally speaking almost all SUV’s that don’t sport a ladder frame and a low range transfer case are silly vs an AWD station wagon.

Arik
02-15-21, 18:05
Think it was around 2003 when I finally saw an SUV without 4wd by way of a coworker that moved here from Florida. Still seems like a goofy idea vs. a station wagon.Saw a 2wd Wrangler a few years ago!

Grand58742
02-15-21, 18:13
Just got done clearing my driveway and watched the road crews on the highway (I live on a US Route). I kept wondering why they weren't salting the roads.

Then I remembered it's too cold to salt the roads... and will be until Wednesday.

I generally don't mind the winter.

Averageman
02-15-21, 18:56
And A pipe just burst under my foundation.

ThirdWatcher
02-15-21, 19:29
When I was a kid, I worked at a couple Ford dealerships (DFW) after school and during Summer break (running parts, changing oil, washing cars, etc.) and they sold a lot of trucks and I don’t remember any of them being 4WD. One customer bought a new Bronco (original style) and they had to special order it. Times sure change.

ABNAK
02-15-21, 19:34
The snow-pocalypse got you bad too?

I got to watch a wrecker pull an idiot out of the neighbor's yard last night. Grocery getter SUV lacking 4WD went across oncoming traffic into the opposing curb and almost over into the pond on the property. Luckily, nobody was injured, there was no traffic on the road and the police weren't far away when it happened. But those tie rods are gonna need replacing...

Tennessee got hit last night and then again today.....and supposedly a little more tonight. My wife and I have three vehicles, only my F-150 STX is a 4x4. Went and got hay and feed for the wife's horses today and I went about 25-30mph on country back-roads into town; could possibly have gone a little faster (not much) but didn't feel like taking the chance on ending up in a ditch!

The place she works at had 33 nurses and techs call-in for tonight. It's not that "snowy" per se (moderate dusting snow-wise I'd say) but the ice and now snow have combined to made it kinda tricky. I live out in the "hills-and-hollers" and 4WD is a must for these up-and-down, winding roads in these conditions. Fortunately these winter shitstorms are relatively rare in TN; that's why we moved here from Ohio 25 years ago!

Yeah, it's the South in a winter mess, so the reaction isn't like in MN or ND, even in OH. That said, having gone out today I'll say it's not something I'd do if I didn't have to.

Oh, and it's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra!

chuckman
02-16-21, 07:43
Ironically I was teaching a MCI/disaster response class last Thursday and Friday, so I pivoted and used this event as a real-time scenario for part of the class. It was an awful event.

matemike
02-16-21, 08:40

We call those things "spaghetti bowls"

jsbhike
02-16-21, 16:48
Tennessee got hit last night and then again today.....and supposedly a little more tonight. My wife and I have three vehicles, only my F-150 STX is a 4x4. Went and got hay and feed for the wife's horses today and I went about 25-30mph on country back-roads into town; could possibly have gone a little faster (not much) but didn't feel like taking the chance on ending up in a ditch!

The place she works at had 33 nurses and techs call-in for tonight. It's not that "snowy" per se (moderate dusting snow-wise I'd say) but the ice and now snow have combined to made it kinda tricky. I live out in the "hills-and-hollers" and 4WD is a must for these up-and-down, winding roads in these conditions. Fortunately these winter shitstorms are relatively rare in TN; that's why we moved here from Ohio 25 years ago!

Yeah, it's the South in a winter mess, so the reaction isn't like in MN or ND, even in OH. That said, having gone out today I'll say it's not something I'd do if I didn't have to.

Oh, and it's colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra!

About 30 minutes north of the TN line and been snowing all day. Thought that might help on getting traction over the ice, but it is just a dry powder on top.

Kind of interesting to me, I was able to walk around the yard on top of the iced grass without breaking through to solid ground with many steps. Don't recall ever being able to do that before.

officerX
02-16-21, 17:27
About 30 minutes north of the TN line and been snowing all day. Thought that might help on getting traction over the ice, but it is just a dry powder on top.

Kind of interesting to me, I was able to walk around the yard on top of the iced grass without breaking through to solid ground with many steps. Don't recall ever being able to do that before.

I’m in Frankfort/Lexington- snowed all day here. Just the light fluffy, powdery stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grand58742
02-16-21, 17:38

Yeah, worst kind of snow IMO. Enough to hide the ice, not enough to pack down and give you any traction.

It did make shoveling out my driveway easy though

ABNAK
02-16-21, 18:08
Lady my wife and I know had put on Facebook last night that her son was doing driveway plowing if anyone was interested. Called him this AM about 0700 (woke him up, he's like 18yo, go figure!) and called in the order. My driveway is like 1/10th of a mile long, and kinda winds up a hill, so it needed to be taken down to concrete. He tells me "Uh, does $80 seem okay?". I was like "Here's a hundred, get to it!"

Then I called the county, which pretty much neglects my podunk road in the rare winter storms we have, and nicely asked if they could not ignore it this time and actually maybe plow it? Kid is just finishing my driveway when the county highway department plow/salt-spreader truck goes by up the road. Awesome! Perfect timing! I go out later and the asshats plowed ONE LANE for like maybe half our 1.8 mile road.

W.T.F. over? :rolleyes:

Gabriel556
02-16-21, 18:42
Guys, I feel for you all. I’m in northern IL and have the equipment to deal with this stuff and it still sucks. I was in Florida for a week and WOW. Landed in near zero zero conditions(commercial flight) back at Midway and had a car service drop us off. I didn’t do our driveway last night but will tonight in case we get more. I’ll probably get the big tractor out to move snow since we’ve had a few feet of snow already and need to make more room for the piles.

Grand58742
02-21-21, 15:15
That was two crazy winter storms we had. For some reason, I had an overabundance of robins move in last month. I thought they were a warmer weather bird, but anyway...

Just got done collecting up over a dozen of them that froze to death outside my house. I mean, I get natural selection and all, but that's an insane number.