PDA

View Full Version : Dropped the hammer on the separated DDM4 lower, damage?

ta0117
02-15-21, 01:26
I replaced the stock trigger on my DDM4V9 with a Geissele SSA trigger and since I didn’t know any better, when testing it out I was dropping the hammer with the lower separated a handful of times (maybe about 7-8 times?). Now I read the Daniel Defense manual that the hammer should never be dropped with the lower separated from the upper since the hammer can permanently damage the lower.

Doing some quick research, some are saying that the hammer can crack the lower or the bolt catch. The Geissele hammer is shaped so it doesn’t seem to touch the bolt catch and only hits the lower. Looking at the lower I don’t see any damage on the surface, but I’m worried if I caused microcracks to form in the lower and what that means in the long term for this gun.

Is there any way for me to detect potential cracks under the Cerakote finish?

PracticalRifleman
02-15-21, 05:46
If you see a crack there’s a crack. If you don’t, there’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgeib
02-15-21, 08:09
Agreed with the above response. You're probably ok. Don't sweat it, and try to avoid it in the future.

Inkslinger
02-15-21, 08:38
I wouldn’t worry about it to much, it’s probably fine.

PracticalRifleman
02-15-21, 08:39
Magnetic particle inspection. I would worry about it to much, it’s probably fine.

Not sure MPI works on non-ferrous materials. Maybe I’m wrong?

Inkslinger
02-15-21, 08:41
Not sure MPI works on non-ferrous materials. Maybe I’m wrong?

It doesn’t, I was being sarcastic. I deleted it as to not have the trolls lose their minds.

AndyLate
02-15-21, 09:29
If you see a crack there’s a crack. If you don’t, there’s not.

This. Don't make a habit of it.

Andy

ta0117
02-15-21, 10:49
Now I ride the hammer forward with my thumb, but these the kind of quirks that first time AR owners aren’t familiar with.

There doesn’t seem to be damage so that is reassuring. I do plan on this rifle lasting me a long time, which is why I’m concerned about the long term health.

AndyLate
02-15-21, 10:55
I guarantee every single M4 in the basic training units has had a hammer dropped without an upper a lot more times than you did it.

Andy

Coal Dragger
02-15-21, 15:39
Yep. I wouldn’t sweat it, nor would I make it a habit.

Plato
02-16-21, 09:45
It will detonate after about 173 rounds.

Cokie
02-16-21, 20:09
It’s useless send it to me for proper disposal

titsonritz
02-16-21, 20:29
It will detonate after about 173 rounds.

:lol:

Shit happens, don't make a habit of it, move on its fine.

Leonidas24
02-16-21, 22:47
I guarantee every single M4 in the basic training units has had a hammer dropped without an upper a lot more times than you did it.

Andy

This. There were some M16A4's in E Co 2-58 circa 2007 that have seen a lot more abuse than an accidental hammer drop on a bare lower. Don't sweat it, but don't make a habit of it either.