PDA

View Full Version : Does "Modifying" vs loss of value effect your decisions?

Averageman
02-15-21, 22:48
I think somethings are better left alone, but sometimes they just need improved, does the potential loss of value effect your decision?

I have a rather rare and sought after Fender Telecaster, love the guitar, hated the tuners. I was told that totally changes the potential for the Guitar to gain any further value?
I dunno, I don't have a sentimental attachment to "things" and I don't plan on selling it, seemed like a smart deal to me.

czgunner
02-15-21, 22:53
Keep the original tuners in the case and have a set installed that use the same screw spacing/footprint. Easy

Averageman
02-15-21, 23:02
Keep the original tuners in the case and have a set installed that use the same screw spacing/footprint. Easy

Didn't work out that way, the locking tuners are fender, but needed a different screw set up.
You know, I'm sure it was a smart move, I guess the next person to own it will be my Son, let him figure it out, but yeah, tuners are in a bag, in the case.

SteyrAUG
02-15-21, 23:04
I rarely customize anything.

Evan handguns that now ship with 4 different backstraps, two front grips and a couple side panels I tend to leave "stock." I think if you fine tune anything too much, that will be all you can perform with.

I'm not even close to the best in the world, so I don't need a super tuned anything. I grew up learning to shoot 1911s that were way too big for me BUT it made me an actual "shooter" who can shoot most things. Grew up with Hk can Colt rifles, if I sit down behind some super tuned rifle with a 2 lb trigger I can actually "oops" a round down range when I touch in and prepare to break the trigger.

About as close as I come to customizing is I once installed Magpul MOE furniture on a rifle I got where the original stocks were beat to hell and I was changing from a commercial to mil spec buffer tube anyway.

gaijin
02-16-21, 07:06
I modify any tool to make it easier, more efficient to use.

The_War_Wagon
02-16-21, 07:49
Does "Modifying" vs loss of value effect your decisions?

I wish I could afford the firearms "hobby" side of the equation, and own some nice collectible guns. I can only afford the personal defense side of the equation, however, so ALL my firearms are subject to modification as I need them.

MegademiC
02-16-21, 08:03
No, I buy stuff to use to its end of life.
That said I rarely modify stuff. An exception is milling for rds.

DG23
02-16-21, 08:43
Didn't work out that way, the locking tuners are fender, but needed a different screw set up.
You know, I'm sure it was a smart move, I guess the next person to own it will be my Son, let him figure it out, but yeah, tuners are in a bag, in the case.

You could have likely searched around and found some with a more similar screw arrangement if you had spent the time.

If you put new holes in that wood for the new tuners - Yep, You just gave the value to a collector a serious hit.

Another reason to just buy an Ibanez! :cool:

BoringGuy45
02-16-21, 11:17
I'm a serial customizer. Rarely do any of my gadgets have all of their original parts. That said, I usually keep all the factory parts in case I want to sell whatever it is.

Black_Sheep
02-16-21, 12:41
To a large degree, yes. When I built my ‘69 GTX it was a factory black car so that’s what color I painted it, even though it required extra time and effort. I was worried a color change would dramatically change the value if I ever chose to sell, Mopar guys are weird that way. At the same time, it got a lot of bolt on performance upgrades which could be easily reversed if desired.

Guns on the other hand, I customize to suit my tastes with the exception of a few vintage Colt and S&W revolvers. They are works of art in their original configuration. Modifying them would be like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa...

utahjeepr
02-16-21, 12:55
To me it all depends on what it is. If I had a Van Halen or
SRV guitar? F... NO!! I ain't even changing the damn strings. It's getting stored like Monica's blue dress.

A "one of xxx,xxx", meh. Do I wanna mod it more than I care about the hit? It's yours do what ya want.

I modified and swapped drive trains in a truck that was 1 of about 25,000 ever made. Why? Cause it suits me. But the 55 KHK that is 1 of 500? If you got an original valve stem cap I'll take it.

markm
02-16-21, 14:02
As I grow older, I definitely modify more stuff. Some things I can't believe I didn't do sooner.

Artos
02-16-21, 16:23
If it's anything considered collectable then it stays as it is, but I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to minty old items.

I had a 1970 Strat in starburst that I sold 30 years ago...sigh.

utahjeepr
02-16-21, 19:06
If it's anything considered collectable then it stays as it is, but I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to minty old items.

I had a 1970 Strat in starburst that I sold 30 years ago...sigh.

Yeah, but a lot of things are only "collectible" cause the rest of us F ours up. ;) We're what ya call "market forces".

1_click_off
02-16-21, 19:19
If you have no plans to sell it and gets passed on to your son he may appreciate the change to remind him of you one day, then it gains sentimental value for him.

TehLlama
02-19-21, 21:38
I've found that I really enjoy having objects around me that are utterly unique, customized by me in ways that most others wouldn't think of...

Unless I'm selling it, value is to me (and if I sell stuff, value is always arbitrary by that same metric), so yeah, there are very few things I leave stock, and typically go out of my way to make modifications. I'm finally old enough and experienced enough that not all of these are reducing the objectively useful capability of the thing I was messing with.

Jellybean
02-20-21, 12:01
The only way I customize anything that may lose market value, is if I am damn sure it does everything else I need it to do, minus the customization that will make it perfect.
I'm too poor to wreck things for fun. :laugh:

VLODPG
02-21-21, 09:28
My brother owns a 59 Les Paul. If if wasn't refinished in black if would be worth thousands more.

JoshNC
02-21-21, 11:35
When it comes to collectible things, I don’t modify anything in any way that is not reversible. Transferable factory original MGs, never ever ever refinish, re-mark, or irreversibly alter the configuration.

JasonDTM
02-21-21, 13:03
Get a repro neck with your favorite tele contour and load it up with the tuners and finish you want. Preserve the OG, best of both worlds.

Averageman
02-21-21, 18:28
I don't regret doing it, I still have the original tuners. Those old school two screw fender tuners with the decoration on the back of the tuner.
Telecasters are notoriously stable as in Keith Richards actually smashed a guy in the face that jumped on stage and finished the song with that guitar and he claims it stayed in tune.
This tele was a bit more finicky and wanted tuned for each session, it should be much more stable now.

daddyusmaximus
02-21-21, 23:39
I don't have the cash, or even the interest to buy things as investments. If I buy something, it's because I want to use it. Having said that, many times, I can't find the exact thing to buy that I'm dreaming of in my head... so I modify whatever I can find. That makes them work better for me (the only person I care to impress) and I get the satisfaction of having something nobody else has...

Case in point (since this is a gun forum) are my firearms. While I've had some good comments made about some of the mods I've done to old milsurp rifles, I've also gotten a hell of a lot of grief from arrogant, self righteous collectors who think that every singe one of the millions of 75 to 100 year old military rifles should be left as factory issued because they are each, and every one, a precious, irreplaceable piece of history.

I love the hell out of my Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 that was modified "to suit my taste, and use", but man, oh man does it trigger the collectors...

From my build thread:

I'm just never satisfied... I wanted to be able to use this Lee Enfield battle rifle with my suppressor. The one I don't have yet, but plan on getting one day... So, the barrel went from 18" to 16.5 to make room for a Warcomp. Almost all my guns have Surefire devices because that's the suppressor I plan on getting. I need to get a trust first though. I want it, on there, and I plan to transfer my SBR to it as well. Need to make it easier for my son in the future. Maybe put some other trusted family members on there as well. Still looks pretty traditional if you're not paying close attention, maybe a bit like a SOCOM 16 if you are.

https://i.imgur.com/yA4iNEN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dyLAvXE.jpg