PDA

View Full Version : Desensitizing PACT timer

YVK
12-05-08, 11:35
Earlier this year I decided to add another dimension to my practice routine. I bought a MKIV PACT timer sometime in March. Since then I've been able to use it maybe 4 times. The problem is that on indoors range it hears shots coming from other shooters, so the only time I can use it is when the range is empty. Which is almost never.

Is there any way to decrease sensitivity of that thing? I've tried taping masking tape over the mike, and it doesn't help.

Jay870
12-05-08, 11:55
Most timers do have sensitivity adjustments but indoor ranges are so damn loud I really doubt you'd find a setting that will allow it to only pick out your shots.

When I'm sharing the range I usually just end up using the par timer just like if I were dry firing.

sff70
12-05-08, 15:19
Remove the housing from the base. There are several screws you have to take out, and they are obvious.

On the circuit board, dead center, is a small phillips head screw. This is the sensitivity adjustment.

Turn in small increments until you reach the desired result.

There is no predictable amount/direction to turn to achieve a desired result - you just have to experiment with it.

I find the desired setting by clapping my hands (to make a concussion effect) near the mic on the timer when the cover is off, and then adjusting the screw.

Good luck!

This is one of the few things that Pact could do better with the Mk IV.

YVK
12-05-08, 15:22
Thank you!

YVK
12-08-08, 18:52
I opened my Pact the other day and couldn't find anything that looked like phillips screw head. I guess I have to give them a call.

sff70
12-09-08, 23:25
Hopefully this comes through.

YVK
12-09-08, 23:33
Thanks a ton for taking the time to shoot and post this picture. I do remember seeing this, but I didn't realize this was the screw. I'll take my PACT apart again this weekend.