PDA

View Full Version : Walther Arms new PDP

Slater
02-17-21, 18:05
Should be a big seller for Walther. Of course, in the current environment anything would sell well:

https://waltherarms.com/pdp/

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-17-21, 18:26
Looks like an awesome gun. I think from a marketing perspective Walther needs to really focus on improving a single model rather than the endless proliferation of different models. That being said as long as the price is sane I would be willing to pick up one of these

ap1220
02-17-21, 19:05
It looks like a heavily customized Glock...

Slater
02-17-21, 19:34
PDP and Larry Vickers video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPXF_doHv6k

JediGuy
02-17-21, 21:03
Looks like an awesome gun. I think from a marketing perspective Walther needs to really focus on improving a single model rather than the endless proliferation of different models. That being said as long as the price is sane I would be willing to pick up one of these

If I understand correctly, this will be a replacement for the PPQ. Considering the 15 round mag and barrel are from the PPQ and the trigger is a progression from the PPQ’s, this seems like a good move, though perhaps they wool keep the PPQ SF models for competition. I hope/imagine they’ll have a subcompact out in a year or so.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-17-21, 21:09
If I understand correctly, this will be a replacement for the PPQ. Considering the 15 round mag and barrel are from the PPQ and the trigger is a progression from the PPQ’s, this seems like a good move, though perhaps they wool keep the PPQ SF models for competition. I hope/imagine they’ll have a subcompact out in a year or so.

It certainly looks like a bunch of good ideas

Bodhi
02-17-21, 21:35
I liked the PPQ a lot that I owned. However, I did not like the muzzle flip compared to the VP9. Anyone that says the PPQ doesn't have muzzle flip, has not spent a fair amount of time behind one.

If this is corrected, and it fits the VP9 safariland like the PPQ did, i'd heavily consider one wen the time comes

Adrenaline_6
02-17-21, 21:36
Looks good....except for the no paddles part.

VIP3R 237
02-17-21, 22:41
Matt Landfair of P&S is local to me and he’s had one for a bit. He says it’s the best factory striker trigger bar none and overall has nothing but good to say about it.

Eurodriver
02-18-21, 07:20
Matt Landfair of P&S is local to me and he’s had one for a bit. He says it’s the best factory striker trigger bar none and overall has nothing but good to say about it.

Did he buy it?

HCrum87hc
02-18-21, 07:24

Yes, they will be phasing out the PPQ in favor of the PDP and keeping the SF series. I think I also read they'll be keeping the poly Q5 as well. I've heard rumor that a 43x/p365 contender will be announced later this year, but nothing concrete.

Also, Kyle Katarn ftw.

Slater
02-18-21, 08:07
I hope Walther has run this new gun through enough testing that we don't get any recalls or "safety upgrades".

Eurodriver
02-18-21, 08:12
I hope Walther has run this new gun through enough testing that we don't get any recalls or "safety upgrades".

They are Walther, not Sig or S&W.

HCrum87hc
02-18-21, 08:15

These have been in the wild for a few months now being tested by various respectable names in the training industry. Yes, they were given the guns for T&E, but I find these people to be well respected and trustworthy, particularly Matt Landfair, Bill Blowers, Nick Young, and Scott Jedlinski. I don't think they'd put their names behind inferior products. The fact that they're essentially a PPQ M3, I'd like to think they'll be solid since they're built on a solid base.

titsonritz
02-18-21, 16:52
I've been wanting to pick up a PPQ M1 but will be hitting the brake on that and hopefully they will follow up with a PDP M1 which I'll be all over.

RHINOWSO
02-18-21, 17:10
I think from a marketing perspective Walther needs to really focus on improving a single model rather than the endless proliferation of different models.
Spot on.

Slater
02-18-21, 17:30
Walther has a pretty good track record with it's designs. About the only recent duds I can think of are the budget/entry level PPX and it's recontoured successor, the Creed. I have a PPX and it's a reliable and accurate gun, but it was a sales flop for Walther. "Oversized and too damn ugly" are a description that I've heard.

Vandal
02-19-21, 15:48
Did he buy it?

Probably not since they are a sponsor of P&S and he openly talks about it. With that out of the way, I bought 2 PDPs, a compact and a full size. The triggers really are that good. I've shot Glock Gen 3, 4, and 5 for years with nothing but Gen 5s currently in my personal inventory. The Gen 5s have the best factory Glock trigger. My P320 X-Compact trigger and the other P320 factory triggers are, I think, better than Glock's. They are hot garbage when compared side by side to the PDP trigger. Other than a magwell on the full sized gun and mounting my RMRs, I can't think of anything I want to change on the PDP right out of the box. I have a list of parts I buy each time I pick up a new Glock.

pag23
02-19-21, 17:47
Probably not since they are a sponsor of P&S and he openly talks about it. With that out of the way, I bought 2 PDPs, a compact and a full size. The triggers really are that good. I've shot Glock Gen 3, 4, and 5 for years with nothing but Gen 5s currently in my personal inventory. The Gen 5s have the best factory Glock trigger. My P320 X-Compact trigger and the other P320 factory triggers are, I think, better than Glock's. They are hot garbage when compared side by side to the PDP trigger. Other than a magwell on the full sized gun and mounting my RMRs, I can't think of anything I want to change on the PDP right out of the box. I have a list of parts I buy each time I pick up a new Glock.

Very good analysis on the trigger comparisons as I have Glocks and Sig P320s. I just can't get into another platform.. lol

ABNAK
02-19-21, 18:24
Why do just about all semi-auto pistols now seem to come with front serrations? I'm a southpaw for shooting so I don't want the meaty part of my right hand over the ejection port as I attempt to chamber/eject a round and sure as hell don't want anything near that muzzle! Some you guys might like 'em but I'd just as well have a smooth slide up front.

caporider
02-19-21, 18:54
Why do just about all semi-auto pistols now seem to come with front serrations? I'm a southpaw for shooting so I don't want the meaty part of my right hand over the ejection port as I attempt to chamber/eject a round and sure as hell don't want anything near that muzzle! Some you guys might like 'em but I'd just as well have a smooth slide up front.

I like the front serrations on pistols with optics mounted. The PDP serrations are awesome, grippy without being slicey...

call_me_ski
02-19-21, 19:30
I've been wanting to pick up a PPQ M1 but will be hitting the brake on that and hopefully they will follow up with a PDP M1 which I'll be all over.

I would not hold my breath for a PDP with a paddle release. Since introducing the M2 Walther has not developed a single new frame that uses a paddle magazine release. The sales numbers are simply not there compared to their button release pistols.

ABNAK
02-19-21, 20:02
I like the front serrations on pistols with optics mounted. The PDP serrations are awesome, grippy without being slicey...

Didn't think about that setup. Good point.

That said, I can't seem to cross the RDS-on-a-pistol bridge quite yet. I'm told it's like a shooting epiphany. Probably will someday.....hell, it took me until 2020 to put an LPVO on an AR!

Some front serrations put out by custom places look gaudy as all getup IMHO. Factory ones usually aren't as exaggerated.

If the PDP is like the PPS M2 ergonomically it will be a hit. I have noticed that the newer Walther and HK compacts (like in the last 10 years or so) have been very comfortable in the hand. They seem to have ergonomics down pat. The only one I actually fired was the PPS M2 I *used* to have until my wife confiscated it ;) but some of the others I've fingerf****d in gun shops and they all seem to have a similar feel.....very comfortable.

SteveL
02-19-21, 23:01
Looks like a great evolution of the PPQ. I love my M1, but wish it was more optic-friendly. It has a great trigger so I'm not surprised this does too. I might have to offload the PPQ and get one of these.

Ready.Fire.Aim
02-19-21, 23:40
I have two PPQ M2s. I’m extremely impressed and have been to a couple of LAVs classes using them.
At the end of each day, the target had a fist size hole shot out of the middle, excellent trigger !

I actually liked the VP9 better but could never get used to the paddle mag release.

I’ve been looking for a more accurate small carry pistol than my M&P Shield, looks like I will order a 4” PDP.

hi-wayman
02-20-21, 01:10
I have been considering going to an optics mounted pistol and this seems the answer. Just unsure how it'll fare with my astigmatism.

I currently have a PPQ M2 and it is one of my favorite pistols. I have 10 17rd magazines that would work in the compact. What would the full size bring other than one more round?

Where are you finding these in stock?

Any recommendations on which red dot is best for stigmatism?

prdubi
02-20-21, 01:20
Newby question..

This new pistol takes the ppq magazines?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hi-wayman
02-20-21, 01:39
according to Walther the compact does. The full size requires the new 18 rd magazines.

Vandal
02-20-21, 01:40
Newby question..

This new pistol takes the ppq magazines?

The compact will take the PPQ compact 15 round mags. The full size 18 rounders seem to be unique to the PDP.

titsonritz
02-20-21, 02:36
according to Walther the compact does. The full size requires the new 18 rd magazines.

The compact will take the PPQ compact 15 round mags. The full size 18 rounders seem to be unique to the PDP.

That good info.

Would it be to much to presume the compact will accept the full size 18 rounders?

titsonritz
02-20-21, 02:38
I would not hold my breath for a PDP with a paddle release. Since introducing the M2 Walther has not developed a single new frame that uses a paddle magazine release. The sales numbers are simply not there compared to their button release pistols.

Yeah that's probably the reality of it, unfortunately.

MadAngler1
02-20-21, 07:46
I put 1000 rounds through a Walther PPQ my dad bought. Shot great, but I could control and shoot faster with my Glock 19. The PPQ had more muzzle flip as mentioned previously. I will see if Point Blank will have one to try out near me. My VP9 is the only other striker fired pistol I own besides my Glocks because it can shoot with them in terms of speed and control.

From watching the video reviews, I don’t like the fact the PDP’s slide is bulkier than the PPQ’s. I know it is for the red dot and you have better slide serrations, but it may affect holster draw smoothness. I will save judgment when I try one.

https://youtu.be/wTNRnbW7Cbo

Bodhi
02-20-21, 10:04
If the pdp fits in my vp9 safariland, like the ppq does, and we see reviews from people who did NOT get one for free - I'll consider it.

PracticalRifleman
02-20-21, 10:18
I have two PPQ M2s. I’m extremely impressed and have been to a couple of LAVs classes using them.
At the end of each day, the target had a fist size hole shot out of the middle, excellent trigger !

I actually liked the VP9 better but could never get used to the paddle mag release.

I’ve been looking for a more accurate small carry pistol than my M&P Shield, looks like I will order a 4” PDP.

In case you weren’t aware, you can get the VP9 with a button release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donlapalma
02-20-21, 13:39
I'm certainly enticed. I've owned all the polymer framed pistols at one point or another, with the exception of a Walther. The Glock still reigns supreme in my safe, but this could be my first foray into the Walther line of handguns. Not gonna rush out though. Always like to wait a little before buying something new.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

prdubi
02-20-21, 14:54
Than it's a pass for me.

Happy camper with my ppq m2 Navy.

I have over 20 mags for it.

HCrum87hc
02-22-21, 09:04
That good info.

Would it be to much to presume the compact will accept the full size 18 rounders?

I was told it will not due to different grip angles, but I'm picking up a full size on Friday. I'll try the 18 rounder in my PPQ and follow up if it does work.

WickedWillis
02-22-21, 13:37
I found some sitting in my LGS on Saturday. This is the first time i have handled a newly released brand new gun that wowed me. The feel of the grip, the ergos, and the best (albeit only dry fire) striker trigger I have EVER handled. I was so damn impressed, and now I really want one. Only other Walther I've owned was a PPK in my early 20's.

If this avoids all the new teething from most new firearms, this is an absolute home run. Can't wait to shoot one.

caporider
02-22-21, 14:45
Than it's a pass for me.

Happy camper with my ppq m2 Navy.

I have over 20 mags for it.

You'll be able to buy just the PDP slide later on and use it with your PPQ M2 Navy barrel and frame. That will give you a great optics mounting solution if that's something you're interested in.

MUFC
02-22-21, 20:22
Wish it would go on M1 frames

caporider
02-22-21, 20:32
Wish it would go on M1 frames

It does, works great. I have a PPQ M1.

call_me_ski
02-22-21, 20:45
If you get a later production M1 frame it should fit I would think. There was a change in the locking block but if your M1 has the more angular ejection port rather than the square one it should fit. (Confirm this with Walther before pulling the trigger tho)

titsonritz
02-23-21, 00:07
I was told it will not due to different grip angles, but I'm picking up a full size on Friday. I'll try the 18 rounder in my PPQ and follow up if it does work.

Thanks for the info, please report back.

prdubi
02-23-21, 00:11
Ok I got confirmation from LAV that the PDP will take all PPQ mags so I'm back in the impression horse again.

caporider
02-23-21, 00:20
If you get a later production M1 frame it should fit I would think. There was a change in the locking block but if your M1 has the more angular ejection port rather than the square one it should fit. (Confirm this with Walther before pulling the trigger tho)

:)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26706/walthers04-1832258.jpg

titsonritz
02-23-21, 01:20
:)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26706/walthers04-1832258.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' about. :)

02-23-21, 06:10
So, you guys are trying to convince me that a gun company did a new product announcement, and the product exists and is available? Immediately, and in 2021? BS....you’re all outed as youtube shills now. (Sarcasm)

HCrum87hc
02-23-21, 08:09
So, you guys are trying to convince me that a gun company did a new product announcement, and the product exists and is available? Immediately, and in 2021? BS....you’re all outed as youtube shills now. (Sarcasm)

Aaaaaand worked with accessory companies to ensure their product is supported at launch as well: over a dozen holster makers, C&H Precision plates, Overwatch Precision trigger, and it uses the Glock dovetail, so you have an endless amount of sights available.

Vandal
02-23-21, 08:48
Aaaaaand worked with accessory companies to ensure their product is supported at launch as well: over a dozen holster makers, C&H Precision plates, Overwatch Precision trigger, and it uses the Glock dovetail, so you have an endless amount of sights available.

Aaannnd was designed with input from people who actually know what they are talking about in the competition, tactical, and self-defense worlds to make a legitimate RDS ready handgun that they have already beat the s#it out of prior to being released? Sig and S&W are very confused by this tactic.

HCrum87hc
02-23-21, 09:13
Aaannnd was designed with input from people who actually know what they are talking about in the competition, tactical, and self-defense worlds to make a legitimate RDS ready handgun that they have already beat the s#it out of prior to being released? Sig and S&W are very confused by this tactic.

It boggles the mind!

63Qcode
02-23-21, 09:48
[PRDUBI .... Larry must have been talking about the M2 version on mag interchangeability . I have a PDP and PPQ M1 in front of me now and the M1 mags do NOT interchange with the PDP Compact . However , they also do not interchange with the M2 version ..... but there is a modification that can be made to the M1 mags to allow them to work in the M2 . Someone over on the Walther Forum did a thread a while back on that . They will go in and lock , but will be way low so no bullet feed is possible .
Both of my PPQ`s are M1 , so I`m stuck on that , but knew that going into the new purchase .

WickedWillis
02-23-21, 10:24

Wild ideology here, right?

B Cart
02-23-21, 10:30

hahaha it's sad that this statement (and the fact that it's available with available accessories from the start) is so astounding. This stuff 'should' be common practice, but unfortunately seems to be an extreme rarity with a lot of the gun world.

I had a PPQ M1 limited edition for a long time, and loved it. Eventually sold it and went the Glock route, but the PDP wants to pull me back to Walther really bad.

prdubi
02-23-21, 11:40
Look.

I have the PPQ m2 Navy model and I just want to save a couple of bucks and use my m2 mags in the PDP.

hi-wayman
02-23-21, 12:12
To use the m2 magazines, get the compact PDP version. That what I'm planning on doing. I have 15 and 17 round factory PPQ magazines. Although calling it "compact" is misleading, its the size of the PPQ.

The full size PDP is on its own with the new 18 round magazines.

MUFC
02-23-21, 12:23

2011 manufacturer date, so I’m thinking not?

Adrenaline_6
02-23-21, 13:27
To use the m2 magazines, get the compact PDP version. That what I'm planning on doing. I have 15 and 17 round factory PPQ magazines. Although calling it "compact" is misleading, its the size of the PPQ.

The full size PDP is on its own with the new 18 round magazines.

Although I like the PPQ, it's a sh*tty way of doing things. HK's P30, VP9, VP9sk, and the VP9-B (button mag release) all use the same mags including the new 20 rounders. It's not like it can't be done.

HCrum87hc
02-23-21, 13:30
Although I like the PPQ, it's a sh*tty way of doing things. HK's P30, VP9, VP9sk, and the VP9-B (button mag release) all use the same mags including the new 20 rounders. It's not like it can't be done.

I do hate the PPQ and PDP compact can't use the 18 round mags of the fullsize grip. I was told the compact and the fullsize have differing grip angles.

It's not terribly worrying for me, though. There are 17 rounders for the PPQ as is, so I'm not going to sweat over 1 round.

WickedWillis
02-23-21, 13:30

The grip is physically longer than the PPQ from my understanding

Adrenaline_6
02-23-21, 13:36
The grip is physically longer than the PPQ from my understanding

I get that...that is understandable. A 10/13 round VP9sk mag will also not be long enough in a standard VP9...but the longer mags should be made to fit in the shorter grip lengths, and whether it uses a button or paddle release also shouldn't matter either. With Walther and the PPQ...it does.

caporider
02-23-21, 13:47
I do hate the PPQ and PDP compact can't use the 18 round mags of the fullsize grip. I was told the compact and the fullsize have differing grip angles.

It's not terribly worrying for me, though. There are 17 rounders for the PPQ as is, so I'm not going to sweat over 1 round.

Not sure who would say that... The Walther folks have already confirmed you can use the 18rd PDP full size mags in the PDP compact.

HCrum87hc
02-23-21, 13:56
Not sure who would say that... The Walther folks have already confirmed you can use the 18rd PDP full size mags in the PDP compact.

Scott Jedlinkski told me that. He's been testing the PDP for months, but maybe he thought I was referring to the SF series?

caporider
02-23-21, 16:12
Scott Jedlinkski told me that. He's been testing the PDP for months, but maybe he thought I was referring to the SF series?

Hmm.

You can see Cody Osborn from Walther showing how the 18rd mag fits into the Compact PDP (with a little shelf sticking out of course) at about the 7:47 mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGPJxTUhF_I

titsonritz
02-23-21, 16:51

Retarded not to.

JediGuy
02-24-21, 10:18
Walther has been clear (not going to look for the video, I think it was in their Instagram page) that PPQ M2 and PDP magazines are completely interchangeable (including the 18rd mags) and in fact they are working on an adaptor to make sure that the 18 rd isn’t overinserted into a compact model.
The single exception: The full size PDP’s grip is longer so cannot physically fit a shorter magazine...pretty logical.

On the overinsertion issue, I run a couple Canik TP9 20 rd mags “for fun” in my M2’s. Same deal, I insert slowly to avoid shearing anything, as I was unsuccessful trying to get a sleeve for the mag 3D printed. (If someone has skills in that area, there’s probably still a market.)

The PPQ M1 is essentially a precursor model at this point. The mags are not interchangeable with the M2 (or now the PDP).

I’ll probably wait until a 5” model with the compact frame is released. That allows 100% compatibility with all models, and I’ll pick up some 18 rd mags once they do the OEM sleeves.

www.waltherarms.com/2021/01/14/walther-pdp-parts-compatibility

prdubi
02-24-21, 12:13
Walther has been clear (not going to look for the video, I think it was in their Instagram page) that PPQ M2 and PDP magazines are completely interchangeable (including the 18rd mags) and in fact they are working on an adaptor to make sure that the 18 rd isn’t overinserted into a compact model.
The single exception: The full size PDP’s grip is longer so cannot physically fit a shorter magazine...pretty logical.

On the overinsertion issue, I run a couple Canik TP9 20 rd mags “for fun” in my M2’s. Same deal, I insert slowly to avoid shearing anything, as I was unsuccessful trying to get a sleeve for the mag 3D printed. (If someone has skills in that area, there’s probably still a market.)

The PPQ M1 is essentially a precursor model at this point. The mags are not interchangeable with the M2 (or now the PDP).

I’ll probably wait until a 5” model with the compact frame is released. That allows 100% compatibility with all models, and I’ll pick up some 18 rd mags once they do the OEM sleeves.

www.waltherarms.com/2021/01/14/walther-pdp-parts-compatibilityThank you..

I now want one.

robbins290
02-24-21, 12:26
I wouldnt mind handling the full size.

Eurodriver
02-24-21, 12:40
Random 2¢

I have no idea who Scott whatever or Cody Osborne are. They’re probably great shooters and make cool videos. But they got those guns for free, have no skin in the game, and don’t have the training, hand size, or needs that I do. (Note: this isn’t to imply I have more or better training - it’s just not the same.) Why does what they say have any bearing on how the gun will perform for me? Better yet, what does this gun do better than any of the other big polymer 9s on the market?

I’ve now actually been around long enough to see gun social media guys push quite a few firearms that ended up being total bombs. Go check out the original Hudson H9 thread.

Day 1: “Big Joe’s IG said this gun shoots sooooo flat!”
Day 320: “Oh snap, the company went bust and now I can’t find parts!”

Anyone remember how accurate the original M&Ps were?
Morgan Freeman Voice: They weren’t.

To summarize - can someone, without getting defensive and argumentative point out advantages this gun provides? Likewise, I promise to be receptive and open to information. I genuinely want to learn.

Obviously Walther can release whatever they want, and more options are always better. But what in particular makes some of you want it so badly? I presume most of you already have a quality polymer 9 that works great. Right?

/NotTrolling

JediGuy
02-24-21, 12:55
Euro,
I have PPQ’s and really like them.

The PDP does at least two things better for me:
I don’t have to have some random company cut my slide then buy a plate to try out a red dot.
When my hands get sweaty, the PPQ’s “comfortable grip” does get slippery. I’ve gone back and forth but have thus far chickened out of stippling.

So, OEM mount for red dot and OEM grip textures that work better for people that like the PPQ. Besides that, it can make use of all those PPQ mags I bought up for cheap. Anything else is just bonus, the PPQ trigger has always been better than anything else OEM.

prdubi
02-24-21, 14:00
Euro,

I don’t have to have some random company cut my slide then buy a plate to try out a red dot.
When my hands get sweaty, the PPQ’s “comfortable grip” does get slippery. I’ve gone back and forth but have thus far chickened out of stippling.

So, OEM mount for red dot and OEM grip textures that work better for people that like the PPQ. Besides that, it can make use of all those PPQ mags I bought up for cheap. Anything else is just bonus, the PPQ trigger has always been better than anything else OEM.Everything you said is correct..

They had it in stock at Sportsmana..and once I saw it ...I bought it.

HCrum87hc
02-26-21, 08:18
Euro,

So, OEM mount for red dot and OEM grip textures that work better for people that like the PPQ. Besides that, it can make use of all those PPQ mags I bought up for cheap. Anything else is just bonus, the PPQ trigger has always been better than anything else OEM.

This^. I have two PPQs. One of them has had the slide milled and the grip stippled. The other is stock outside of replacement irons. It's cheaper for me to replace it with a PDP that has a better trigger, better grip texture, and is already cut for an optic plate than to send in my PPQ to have it stippled and cut for an optic. Plus, the trigger is better on the PDP than the PPQ and my existing mags will work it as well. I'll be keeping my other PPQ, since I already have the grip textured and the slide has an optic.

Many of us have experience with the PPQs and know how accurate they are and how great the triggers are, etc. If the PDP is a straight up upgrade, why wouldn't we go that route? Also, some of the guys who have been running the PDPs for a while aren't simply social media shills. While they may have gotten the gun for free, they are legit shooters, trainers, and LEOs whose opinions are respected. I get where you're coming from, Euro and certainly agree that shilling happens more often than not in these cases.

Assuming Sportsmans Warehouse is correct in their timing, mine should be available for pick up today. I'm going to the range tomorrow and will be glad to follow up with my first impressions.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-26-21, 10:51
Just played with one in the shop. Trigger was excellent. Everything else seemed like more of the same, even a bit clunky. Again, just playing with one in the shop. OTOH, the all steel SF was seriously tempting other that the cost.

dirkmagurk
02-26-21, 12:35
Does the PDP have the same issue as the PPQ of decocking the striker when the trigger is pulled while the slide is out of battery i.e. if a body contact shot is attempted.

bulldozer3
02-26-21, 12:46
Are the ppq and pdp 15 rd mags the exact same? Baseplate, gap between the grip and mag, etc.
I know they work, just not sure if they are the exact same or not.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

hi-wayman
02-26-21, 13:05
Walther has a comparability chart on their webpage. The same part number (2848708) magazine for the PPQ M2 variants and the PDP Compact, both slide lengths. The 4" barrel is also the same between models, so your existing factory or aftermarket threaded barrel should drop right in.

They list 17 other common part numbers including recoil springs.

Here is the official chart:
https://waltherarms.com/2021/01/14/walther-pdp-parts-compatibility/

Adrenaline_6
02-26-21, 15:21
Just played with one in the shop. Trigger was excellent. Everything else seemed like more of the same, even a bit clunky. Again, just playing with one in the shop. OTOH, the all steel SF was seriously tempting other that the cost.

Got to mess with a friends SF Pro. Nice...again...except for lack of paddle releases. Like people who can't get used to them, I can't get used to using buttons. I think because I unknowingly broke my thumb awhile back and just let it heal on it's own, the lack of flexibility because of it is a no go for me.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-26-21, 18:27
I looooove paddle release levers. Definitely my preferred release. But Buttons are fine for me

titsonritz
02-26-21, 19:15
Got to mess with a friends SF Pro. Nice...again...except for lack of paddle releases. Like people who can't get used to them, I can't get used to using buttons. I think because I unknowingly broke my thumb awhile back and just let it heal on it's own, the lack of flexibility because of it is a no go for me.

Reverse the mag catch and use you trigger finger to release it.

titsonritz
02-26-21, 19:19
I looooove paddle release levers. Definitely my preferred release. But Buttons are fine for me

The paddles are a superior mag release setup IMO, the Browning button has been the American default for over hundred years so by default they are fine, but I'd still like to see a PDP M1.

Adrenaline_6
02-26-21, 19:43
Reverse the mag catch and use you trigger finger to release it.

Its funny you say that. I do that when using my SR22.

MadAngler1
02-26-21, 20:33

Clunky and conceal carry don’t go together well. That was my concern, since videos show a larger profile of the slide compared to the PPQ.

I’ll see if my LGS has one tomorrow.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-26-21, 20:35
Clunky and conceal carry don’t go together well. That was my concern, since videos show a larger profile of the slide compared to the PPQ.

It sure seemed bigger. It kind of reminded me of the Massada to be honest with you. Not turrrible, but it was a chunk. Now that trigger...it was glorious.

WillieThom
02-26-21, 22:23
What has been said above is why I’m hoping Walther offers one that is more concealed-carry oriented and in a Glock 48/43x or Sig P365 sized package. To me, that is the most obvious direction one would consider them moving toward when it comes to expanding the PDP line of pistols and replacing the PPQ line.

MadAngler1
03-08-21, 21:24
Did anybody get any decent range time with one yet?

Vandal
03-09-21, 07:57

I'll be shooting my two this week. I wasn't able to sneak away on duty over the weekend to use our range. I'm going to try to remember to take some comparison photos with the PDP Compact and Full Size with my G17.5 and G19.5 during my days off.

HCrum87hc
03-09-21, 07:58

I had planned to hit the range with mine, but it arrived two days later than estimated, so it wasn't here in time for that range trip. I'm hoping to get it out soon and run it through the paces.

gunnar4321
03-10-21, 20:21
He's correct. I have one and it's awesome. The PDP looks like they copied the VP9 in some respects. My favorite Walther lately is the PPS M2. Super slim and gets on target quickly.

PracticalRifleman
03-10-21, 20:45
Any concern for the lack of lugs on the slide to interface with the optic plates?

GJM
03-11-21, 07:16

Yes. Best shooting out of the box striker pistol I have ever shot. I thought enough of the PDP that I bought a second full size and a Compact.

HCrum87hc
03-11-21, 08:23
Any concern for the lack of lugs on the slide to interface with the optic plates?

If you're on IG, go watch the @waltherarms latest live video. They addressed it on there. They said that due to the tapered screws they use, as the screws tighten down on the plate, it pushes the plate up against the front of the cutout, where most of the force occurs.

They also said they have tested the pistols extensively without any plate issues. I believe he said some of the pistols tested in Germany have over 70,000 rounds plus their defense division guys having over 10,000 rounds on a few of their PDPs without any plate issues.

On a separate topic, I have the full size PDP, and the 18 round mags aren't available quite yet. I was looking at the Canik 18 rounders, and they appear to be identical. If anyone has some of them, would you mind testing to see how they function in the PDP?

GJM
03-11-21, 08:34
If you're on IG, go watch the @waltherarms latest live video. They addressed it on there. They said that due to the tapered screws they use, as the screws tighten down on the plate, it pushes the plate up against the front of the cutout, where most of the force occurs.

They also said they have tested the pistols extensively without any plate issues. I believe he said some of the pistols tested in Germany have over 70,000 rounds plus their defense division guys having over 10,000 rounds on a few of their PDPs without any plate issues.

On a separate topic, I have the full size PDP, and the 18 round mags aren't available quite yet. I was looking at the Canik 18 rounders, and they appear to be identical. If anyone has some of them, would you mind testing to see how they function in the PDP?

I sourced a half dozen OEM Canik 18 round magazines. They are made by MecGar, indistinguishable from the PDP OEM 18 round mags, except they say Canik on the baseplate. Work perfectly for me.

HCrum87hc
03-11-21, 08:36
I sourced a half dozen OEM Canik 18 round magazines. They are made by MecGar, indistinguishable from the PDP OEM 18 round mags, except they say Canik on the baseplate. Work perfectly for me.

Awesome. Thank you for that. I knew they were both made by MecGar and appeared identical, but couldn't be 100% sure. I'll have to pick some up if I can find any in stock. I had to do that with, I believe, the baby desert eagle mags when the PPQ first released.

PracticalRifleman
03-11-21, 10:34

I don’t have IG. That is interesting, I’d like to see it in person wedging it against the cutout. That just doesn’t make sense because a screw is tapered 360* around. Is there a way to watch it if you don’t have IG? I looked on YouTube and couldn’t find it.

HCrum87hc
03-11-21, 12:35
I don’t have IG. That is interesting, I’d like to see it in person wedging it against the cutout. That just doesn’t make sense because a screw is tapered 360* around. Is there a way to watch it if you don’t have IG? I looked on YouTube and couldn’t find it.

I don't think so. The positioning of the holes in the slide vs the holes in the plate were mentioned too. I'll be interested to see it in person when my optic arrives.

PracticalRifleman
03-11-21, 12:38
I don't think so. The positioning of the holes in the slide vs the holes in the plate were mentioned too. I'll be interested to see it in person when my optic arrives.

It would seem if not a perfect plate to slide fit, it could be bad. But who knows? I’ll wait around and see. It seems it would have been easy to put some lugs on there. Screws just seem as though they can pull two surfaces together but not take reciprocating force.

GJM
03-11-21, 16:51
Is the concern that the mount will fail or the optic will be damaged?

Biggy
03-12-21, 13:17

Here is a link to the VP of marketing and product development at Walther in the USA addressing the concerns of some people about the optic plate mounting system on the PDP pistols. Around the 2:40 mark in the vid.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMP5eJBK1Qo/

PracticalRifleman
03-12-21, 15:57
Thanks for the link. I’ll give it a watch.

PracticalRifleman
03-12-21, 16:02
Ok watched it. That was kind of a shit explanation. Tapered holes? The taper runs 360 degrees, man. If their machining is that good that’s one thing. But “tapered holes” is not a good explanation to give me any peace of mind. I will hold off for a bit before considering one. It’s hard not to when I have money burning a hole in my pocket...but I also got Glocks everywhere.

The optic gets beat up by going both directions. Let’s assume every screw was perfect, that’s still only one ledge it’s pushed against. I see no possibility this is superior to the PPQ mounting system. I think it was just poor engineering and they are trying to cover for it. Then they say “70,000 rounds” but they didn’t say if it was one gun, one optic, mounted once, etc. it also didn’t say what kind of firing schedule, drop testing, etc.

I guess time will tell.

MadAngler1
03-13-21, 05:16
Got to play with a compact model at a LGS (already was sold awaiting customer to pick it up). Great trigger, love the grip design. Yes the slide is wider, appears “blockier/stockier” than the PPQ and G19. I will try to pick one up eventually.

dwhitehorne
03-14-21, 08:56
I was able to put a few rounds through one a work Friday. To me the PDP felt just as snappy as the PPQ with a much better feeling grip. Ammo was 115gr Lawman. If you like Walthers you will probably love the PDP. David

MadAngler1
03-14-21, 13:06
I was able to put a few rounds through one a work Friday. To me the PDP felt just as snappy as the PPQ with a much better feeling grip. Ammo was 115gr Lawman. If you like Walthers you will probably love the PDP. David

So no change in the muzzle flip? It’s the sole reason I run the Glock 19 over the PPQ. PPQ is probably more accurate with a better stock trigger. I’ll wait for PointBlank to get a range rental before buying one.

Thanks

caporider
03-14-21, 15:06
A lot of the muzzle flip on a P99/PPQ/PDP is due to the stepped chamber, which adds about 30fps to a standard 9mm load and bumps it a big chunk of the way toward a +P load.

dwhitehorne
03-14-21, 20:05
So no change in the muzzle flip?

Not that I could tell. Caporider's plus P reference is a good analogy. 115gr range ammo jumps in your hand like shooting +P with the Walther compared to a G19 or in my case a MR918. Daivd

Corse
03-14-21, 22:59
A lot of the muzzle flip on a P99/PPQ/PDP is due to the stepped chamber, which adds about 30fps to a standard 9mm load and bumps it a big chunk of the way toward a +P load.

VP9 has a stepped chamber, and it doesn’t suffer the same recoil implies as a PPQ.

Bodhi
03-15-21, 01:12

Well that settles it.

I'll stay with my M&P 2.0s and VP9

JediGuy
03-15-21, 09:29
Can anyone with a PPQ who has handled the PDP comment on the removal of the finger grooves? Entirely subjective, but they work for me on the PPQ.

YVK
03-15-21, 19:15
GJM, who posted earlier in this thread, called me 2 days ago and said in a voice full of quiet excitement "YVK, you know I don't split that fast. With this PDP, I was shooting 0.14th in practice today".

Now back to a discussion about muzzle flip.

JB2000
03-16-21, 16:44
Can anyone with a PPQ who has handled the PDP comment on the removal of the finger grooves? Entirely subjective, but they work for me on the PPQ.

I like the finger grooves on the PPQ as well but didn’t even notice them not being there on the PDP. The grooves/swells on the sides of the grip were more noticeable. In fact, I had to look at my PPQ when I got home to see if it had them. I think it might have to do with the new texture making them feel more pronounced.

HCrum87hc
03-17-21, 13:38
GJM, who posted earlier in this thread, called me 2 days ago and said in a voice full of quiet excitement "YVK, you know I don't split that fast. With this PDP, I was shooting 0.14th in practice today".

Now back to a discussion about muzzle flip.

This. I've heard this from numerous people who've tried out the PPQ and/or PDP.

I think too much of a big deal is made of muzzle flip and bore axis. Time your splits. Check your accuracy. Use that data to determine how much muzzle flip really matters. I think you'll find it's less than you think.

HCrum87hc
03-17-21, 13:39
FYi, if you go to the “Product Insight” section of the “Campus” page on Walther’s site there’s a new article about the stress testing and design of their plate mounting system for anyone with concerns.

JediGuy
03-17-21, 19:04
Link to what is mentioned above:

https://waltherarms.com/2021/03/15/walther-pdp-optic-plate-stress-test/

calvin118
03-17-21, 20:29
This. I've heard this from numerous people who've tried out the PPQ and/or PDP.

I think too much of a big deal is made of muzzle flip and bore axis. Time your splits. Check your accuracy. Use that data to determine how much muzzle flip really matters. I think you'll find it's less than you think.

I found that while I could split extremely fast with a PPQ the shot dispersion was significantly higher than with a Glock or m&p at a speed. Absolute split times (how fast I can pull the trigger and break the next shot) were very fast with me for the PPQ. Split times with a given level of precision however were mediocre. This was because for me the bottleneck was the sites returning to zero rather than the trigger reset. Of course this is all incredibly subjective and relative to the interaction between an individual's hands size, hand shape, grip technique and the pistol itself. Everyone experiences these things a little differently. A lot of people say the PPQ is snappy but I actually found it pretty soft but slow to return to zero.

I am however looking forward to trying the PDP. Perhaps the longer grip and heavier slide will yield different results?

YVK
03-18-21, 08:47
In my neck of the woods when people talk about splits, that implies some criterion of accuracy. I myself, and everyone I shoot with, are not interested in splits irrespective of hits. In the above example, those 0.14th were on an A zone.

hextall
03-27-21, 10:42
I have been considering going to an optics mounted pistol and this seems the answer. Just unsure how it'll fare with my astigmatism.

I currently have a PPQ M2 and it is one of my favorite pistols. I have 10 17rd magazines that would work in the compact. What would the full size bring other than one more round?

Where are you finding these in stock?

Any recommendations on which red dot is best for stigmatism?

Of all places, Cabela's has the 4in compact model in the display case at the local store here!

HCrum87hc
03-27-21, 16:05
FYI, regarding the Canik mags, I had issues with them today. They’d drop during recoil. I was afraid it was my grip on the mag release, but even adjusting my grip it did it again. The two Walther mags did not have this issue.

Edit: when I got home, I did some looking. When I insert the Canik mags, they lock in fine, but they would not allow the mag release button to fully return to its fully extended position upon seating the mag. The Walther mags don’t have that problem. I decided to take them apart to see what is different besides the base plates. I discovered the Canik mag spring is about 1.5” longer than the Walther mag spring. I’m hearing they’re working fine for a lot of people, but I’m not one of them.

Edit 2: I spoke with someone at Walther who told me that the Canik base plates are a tad thick for the PDP and just need to be filed down a bit.

Edit 3: The thicker base plates were not my issue. I removed the base plates and mag innards to compare the mag release cut outs and found the Canik cut out is slightly higher and does not go as far in towards the mid line of the magazine. I decided to do some mag surgery. Lowering the bottom of the mag release cutout did not solve anything, so I dremeled the cutout farther into the middle of the magazine, and that did the trick. So, if you're having issues with the Canik mags dropping out during shooting, this should fix you up.

HCrum87hc
03-27-21, 16:05
Double tap

donlapalma
03-27-21, 17:17
Just got back from the range. Put my first round through my 4" compact. Very easy to shoot with an excellent trigger. I shot it well immediately. Going to upgrade the sights and install a Holosun 509t very soon. So far I am highly impressed.

caporider
03-27-21, 19:15
Just got back from the range. Put my first round through my 4" compact. Very easy to shoot with an excellent trigger. I shot it well immediately. Going to upgrade the sights and install a Holosun 509t very soon. So far I am highly impressed.

Yep, 509T for the win. Make sure you get the dedicated plate; I'd recommend against stacking the Holosun adapter plate onto a Walther RMR plate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26706/pdp_509t-1861463.jpg

caporider
03-27-21, 19:15
Double post. Odd.

donlapalma
03-27-21, 19:45
Yep, 509T for the win. Make sure you get the dedicated plate; I'd recommend against stacking the Holosun adapter plate onto a Walther RMR plate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26706/pdp_509t-1861463.jpgI've got the CHPWS plate inbound. Read that was the way to go.

Defaultmp3
03-28-21, 22:18
Does the PDP have the same issue as the PPQ of decocking the striker when the trigger is pulled while the slide is out of battery i.e. if a body contact shot is attempted.Yes, it does: https://primaryandsecondary.com/forum/index.php?threads/caution-using-the-pdp-as-a-duty-weapon.8531/

empiregladysNY24
04-01-21, 19:31
What does PDP mean?

WillieThom
04-01-21, 21:58
Performance Duty Pistol

BuzzinSATX
04-02-21, 07:59
Glad a lot of y’all are liking the new PDP. I’m pretty much a Glock shooter with a lot of them in the safe. I also have a PPQ M2 and an XDm compact. I like them all but i shoot Glocks almost all the time. That said, I’m open to the idea of adding the PDP to my safe.

Regarding muzzle flip...what is this about? All guns have some degree of flip. Assuming the same ammo is used, three factors come to mind for me...weight of gun (especially the slide), grip angle, and shooter grip pressure. Easy answer is hold the gun tighter or get a heavier gun. When you say the Walther is more floppy than a Glock, I suspect that’s because the grip angle on the Glocks (at least for me) tend to point higher than the Walther or the XDm. That causes me to have developed a more forward, downward grip which I believe makes me kinda ‘torque down’ the front of the gun more...bracing my wrists more. Again, my perspective. But after listening to Rob Leatham on several podcasts, he is a huge proponent of a very tight grip on the gun. Maybe that would help.

My issue with the PPQ M2 is the grip texture (too smooth) and the trigger reset (too long). But as the PDP is aggressively textured and a shortened reset, I may look at it again. I am generally more accurate (by a small degree) with the Walther vrs. A G19. Probably not enough to worry about, but like LAV says, “...accuracy is final!”

Not trying to troll...just contribute some thoughts to the discussion.

FWIW: GT Distributors sells PPQ’s to First Responders and Mil for $409. That’s where I bought mine when picking up my BL Glocks.

donlapalma
04-02-21, 10:18
Glad a lot of y’all are liking the new PDP. I’m pretty much a Glock shooter with a lot of them in the safe. I also have a PPQ M2 and an XDm compact. I like them all but i shoot Glocks almost all the time. That said, I’m open to the idea of adding the PDP to my safe.

Regarding muzzle flip...what is this about? All guns have some degree of flip. Assuming the same ammo is used, three factors come to mind for me...weight of gun (especially the slide), grip angle, and shooter grip pressure. Easy answer is hold the gun tighter or get a heavier gun. When you say the Walther is more floppy than a Glock, I suspect that’s because the grip angle on the Glocks (at least for me) tend to point higher than the Walther or the XDm. That causes me to have developed a more forward, downward grip which I believe makes me kinda ‘torque down’ the front of the gun more...bracing my wrists more. Again, my perspective. But after listening to Rob Leatham on several podcasts, he is a huge proponent of a very tight grip on the gun. Maybe that would help.

My issue with the PPQ M2 is the grip texture (too smooth) and the trigger reset (too long). But as the PDP is aggressively textured and a shortened reset, I may look at it again. I am generally more accurate (by a small degree) with the Walther vrs. A G19. Probably not enough to worry about, but like LAV says, “...accuracy is final!”

FWIW: GT Distributors sells PPQ’s to First Responders and Mil for $409. That’s where I bought mine when picking up my BL Glocks.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLike yourself, I'm primarily a Glock shooter. The PDP is my first ever Walther and while I don't have many rounds down the pipe, my initial impression regarding muzzle flip was that it was unnoticeable. Of course, this may change after many more rounds or in a side by side shoot against the Glock. For now, it's a non issue for me.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-02-21, 17:03
I have noticed that most complaints about ergonomics and muzzle flip (regarding any gun) come from people who are used to other platforms. I think all guns have a different feel that tends to be perceived negatively—especially when someone is looking for a problem.

Corse
04-02-21, 19:24
Double

Corse
04-02-21, 19:24
I think the muzzle flip “issue” was attributed to the PPQ, which did have a snappy recoil impulse compared to other 9mm. I haven’t really seen any complaints regarding the PDP.

dwhitehorne
04-02-21, 19:47
So I am one of the ones who got rid of my PPQ because I didn't care for the muzzle flip/recoil impulse. I've had a P99AS and QA, a SW99, and a PPQ over the years. I've owned probably every major manufactures handgun and get rid of ones I don't care for without a thought. Walthers jump around in my hand more than I care for compared to other pistols. Yes you can muscle it under control but why. What about shooting support hand only in the the roll over prone position from behind the vtac barricade? I can tell you I'm not controlling recoil much with my left hand grip. If I said I did not care for the muzzle flip of a SW99 no one would think twice.

If Walther works for you then roll with it. German guns are well crafted, I carried HK's on duty for 17 years and Walther is no exception but with so many great striker fired guns out there right why settle if you don't have to. David

dwhitehorne
04-02-21, 19:48
Double

HCrum87hc
04-05-21, 07:35

This is pretty much my POV on the muzzle flip complaints. It's a non issue for me, but to each their own. I will say the PDP has a similar recoil impulse to the PPQ, and the slide of the PDP is lighter than the PPQ's. The 4.5" full size PDP is lighter overall than the 4" PPQ M2.

In regards to the texturing, it's phenomenal. My one complaint with the PPQ was also the anemic grip texture, which is why I had both of my PPQs stippled. Walther definitely heard that complaint and made it one of the best features of the PDP. If you haven't handled one, I highly recommend it.

The trigger is definitely better than the PPQ side by side. Reset and take up are shorter, and the wall is more crisp/solid, which I prefer.

awmp
04-20-21, 15:11
509T just arrived and plate ordered from CHPW for a PDP and for a Glock.

Still on the look out for a compact PDP, nothing local, more to follow I'm sure.

awmp
04-20-21, 15:12
I did get to handle a PDP locally but was a compact frame and 5" slide, I did not like the setup but I did like the grip and feel.