PDA

View Full Version : red dot and scope?

kry_90
12-05-08, 14:13
im thinking about mounting a red dot and a scope on my ar 15
i have a rock river Elite CAR A4
im building the rifle to be a shtf type and general plinking
i want to have the short range optic like a red dot and medium range with a scope
i dont see myself making shots past 150 yards
ive used eotechs 512 and really like it
i really dont know much about scope ive used them before
but am not too familiar with them
so if anyone has any pics thats would be great
thanks

Jay Cunningham
12-05-08, 14:16
It sound to me like you are prime candidate for a 3x or 4x magnifier.

LettersFromEarth
12-05-08, 21:09
How much are you willing to pay ($$$) to play? Please keep in mind that when your cruching your numbers to include in the finle tally $$$ for good rings/mount. Also, welcome to M4C.

Damascus
12-06-08, 01:35
Again, welcome to M4C!
Perhaps I am misreading your post - but are you talking about mounting a red dot sight and and scope-type optic on your rifle at the same time??

One big question you should ask yourself is: Do you need magnification? If so, how much? (generally, 1x per 100 yards minimum, i.e. 4x for 400 yards, 2x for 200 yards).
If most of your shooting is close or under 100, then you'd probably be happiest with a 1x red dot sight, such as an EO Tech holosight or an Aimpoint RDS.
If you need magnification, you can buy 3x and 4x magnifiers that magnify your 1x RDS, or you can get a 2x Aimpoint M2, or if you've got the money to spend, you can go all out and get the best (IMO), a Trijicon ACOG in 3.5x or 4x.

Right now, everyone seems to be favoring the 1-4x variable power scopes for a "do-it-all" optic, such as the Trijicon Accupoint TR21, Leupold Mark4 1.5-5x, and Millet DMS 1-4x24... if one of these sounds nice, I would suggest waiting on the new Triji Accupoints which are coming with 30mm tubes instead of 1", better reticles, and true 1x minimum power, among a few other upgrades. Expected release date is first of 2009, IIRC. Good luck!

IroquoisSnakePlissken
12-06-08, 11:01
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5128

burns556
01-20-09, 20:44
have you looked into the cmore tactical it has a 27mm reddot with an a2 rear sight behind so the dot and irons cowitness ive used them in 3gun and its a both eyes open optic check it out