PDA

View Full Version : IT people, school me on metadata

okie
02-21-21, 17:06
Can the metadata from a smartphone video tell you when that video was taken?

Honu
02-21-21, 17:25

yes but it depends if it was saved/edited with it or not ? you can edit and or strip meta data out

its a who knows situation without original untouched

okie
02-21-21, 17:55
yes but it depends if it was saved/edited with it or not ? you can edit and or strip meta data out

its a who knows situation without original untouched

I tried one of those sites that shows you the metadata, but it just had a bunch of zeros for the time. Does that mean someone intentionally removed it?

LMT Shooter
02-21-21, 18:32
When & where it was taken, if it was recorded on any smart device. Any editing will not erase the metadata, it is always there, just not visible without some tech savvy, according to people who told me about metadata. I know nothing else about it, sorry.

jbjh
02-21-21, 22:01
It really depends on the software the phone was running at the time, and if you got the original directly from the phone, or if it was sent to you, or posted.

Many sites and email programs will strip metadata out of the file, not necessarily on purpose, but they are made to handle text.

Sent from 80ms in the future

jmp45
02-21-21, 22:05
If you are using an iphone / ios under privacy > location services > camera > select Never. The lon / lat coordinates will not be applied to the photos and videos in the meta data. There is software that will manage meta data.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-21-21, 22:29

Film that stuff at a hotel, not your house...

okie
02-21-21, 22:32
It really depends on the software the phone was running at the time, and if you got the original directly from the phone, or if it was sent to you, or posted.

Many sites and email programs will strip metadata out of the file, not necessarily on purpose, but they are made to handle text.

iPhone video that was sent to me on Messenger.

jbjh
02-24-21, 09:48
iPhone video that was sent to me on Messenger.

Then the iPhone settings might have been set to privatize the metadata. In Settings>Location Services, I have Allow Location Access set to Never.

Just recorded a video and used Messenger to send it to myself. No location metadata as far as I can see using several different pieces of software.