PDA

View Full Version : Tire Time - AT vs AS

AndyLate
02-28-21, 09:21
I have a Silverado K1500 and I have gotten most of the good (?) out of the OEM Goodyear tires.

Besides looking more appropriate for a Z-71 4x4, is there any reason I should be looking at All Terrain tires over All Season?

I live in N. Alabama and 95% of my driving is on pavement with the remaining on gravelish roads. Wet traction is more important than snow/winter or mud/offroad performance.

I am going to install a 1.5" leveling kit and run 265 70 18 in leiu of the factory 265 65 18s for 2" more ground clearance for what its worth and tires will be US or Canada.

Thanks

Andy

utahjeepr
02-28-21, 10:08
If you have no need for the all terrains, roll the AS. Mission drives the gear. All terrain tires and worse yet mud tires do not perform as well on pavement. The more aggressive the off road traction characteristics, the more on road traction impacts.

Of course it's a spectrum and it ain't like if you go with a mildly aggressive AT for occasional off roading (or just looks) that your truck becomes dangerous on pavement.;)

ChattanoogaPhil
02-28-21, 10:34
I live just across the line from ya in Chattanooga. AS is the way to go for your driving. I have Michelin Defender LTX m/s on my Tundra 4wd. Smooth, quiet, great in rain and perform remarkably well in light snow we might get once or twice a year.

https://i.imgur.com/uF5SGJR.jpg

Coal Dragger
02-28-21, 14:03
I prefer AT’s on a truck, but my current set are far too aggressive and are borderline MT’s.

If you stick with AS tires you’ll probably be happy. Some of the very mild AT’s are very good on road tires though, like the new Pirelli Scorpion or the Michelin LTX A/T 2. I’ve been in enough trucks with the LTX A/T 2 that I can confidently tell you it rides like an AS on the road, and isn’t noisy. There’s a reason the Michelin and the Pirelli are both OEM fitments on new trucks, because they’re well behaved and do well in a lot of categories.

AndyLate
02-28-21, 14:35
I prefer AT’s on a truck, but my current set are far too aggressive and are borderline MT’s.

If you stick with AS tires you’ll probably be happy. Some of the very mild AT’s are very good on road tires though, like the new Pirelli Scorpion or the Michelin LTX A/T 2. I’ve been in enough trucks with the LTX A/T 2 that I can confidently tell you it rides like an AS on the road, and isn’t noisy. There’s a reason the Michelin and the Pirelli are both OEM fitments on new trucks, because they’re well behaved and do well in a lot of categories.

I understand what you mean about OEM, but my current Goodyear OEM tires are pretty sorry. I had LTX A/T tires on my previous truck (2500) with (edit - no) complaints except the price.

If I lived further North, I would surely be mounting AT tires.

Andy

Chubbs103
02-28-21, 14:41
My characterization of "gravelinsh" roads in the middle of the Mojave is likely different from yours in N. Alabama. Penetration protection (especially sidewall) tends to be better with AT. I see a lot of flats on desert dirt roads.

My guess is from your description, you will be better off with AS. You will actually get better wet pavement performance, lower weight, and lower rolling resistance.

Edited to add: AS will likely last longer (mileage) than AT.

Ned Christiansen
02-28-21, 14:47
The one product in the last couple years, out of all categories, that has impressed me the most is Bridgestone Blizzacs as snow tires (if that's what you're asking). I preach the Blizzac gospel with the fervor of a traveling evangelist. Yea though I drive through the valley of snow, I will not slip and slide, etc.

Rifleman_04
02-28-21, 15:05
I live just across the line from ya in Chattanooga. AS is the way to go for your driving. I have Michelin Defender LTX m/s on my Tundra 4wd. Smooth, quiet, great in rain and perform remarkably well in light snow we might get once or twice a year.

https://i.imgur.com/uF5SGJR.jpg

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S is the best answer.

Edm
02-28-21, 15:29
My 2020 1500 came with GY. They were decent on the road but off road they hopped like crazy. I’ve run BFG KO2 and while they look cool, they are not that great on wet roads and squeal rally bad in turns and parking lots. I’m back to Michelin AT2 now. Those work great. Quiet and off road traction. Smooth ride. I work in mines and rock quarry’s that isn’t 90% of my off-road.

AndyLate
02-28-21, 16:29
"Gravelish" because they are more dirt than rock, not like the gravel roads I grew up driving on in the midwest.

Andy

MAUSER202
02-28-21, 16:42
I have been running Toyo open country III s for a while. They are an AT but not as noisy as the BFGs ATs I previously ran. Decent in snow and mud in pa, but smooth on the highway with excellent wet braking. 2013 F-150

Arik
02-28-21, 19:47
I live in Southeast PA. We usually get a decent amount of snow. Some years it's only a few inches and other years the feet keep piling on. From 2007 to 2018 we had a few big storms and we had winters where the storms wouldn't stop. Each week there'd be half foot + for weeks on end. Throughout that time I drove an underpowered 4cyl, front wheel drive "sports" coupe. I would drive thru the back roads where the snow was feet deep and my bumper was pushing the snow. It 11 years I never got stuck and was never afraid of deep snow. I also never gave a shit what tires I had as long as they had good tread. I often bought the cheapest junk. Never got stock, never even had a thought of maybe I shouldn't have taken this road. Just have good tread

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Hank6046
02-28-21, 20:55
I have a Silverado K1500 and I have gotten most of the good (?) out of the OEM Goodyear tires.

Besides looking more appropriate for a Z-71 4x4, is there any reason I should be looking at All Terrain tires over All Season?

I live in N. Alabama and 95% of my driving is on pavement with the remaining on gravelish roads. Wet traction is more important than snow/winter or mud/offroad performance.

I am going to install a 1.5" leveling kit and run 265 70 18 in leiu of the factory 265 65 18s for 2" more ground clearance for what its worth and tires will be US or Canada.

Thanks

Andy

So I have had a 2013 Tahoe and now own a 2017 GMC Sierra, but I have been in your predicament before. Granted I live in a winter climate so take that as you will, but 2 tires that seem to do everything well for both AT and AS have been the the General Grabber APT (Tahoe) and Yokahama Geolander A/T's (Sierra) they combine the best of both worlds in my humble opinion. The Generals were great, and got decent fuel economy, the Yokahama's are better off-road, but really tame on road. Links are below.

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-apt

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

If you want something to go with your leveling kit that are awesome A/t tires, I recommend Falken Wildpeak A/T's

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeaka/t3w-tire

Corse
02-28-21, 21:42
I have been using the open country III’s for a few thousand miles now, after switching form Goodyear ATSs. They have slightly more road noise, and my mileage has had a small decrease. But they have worked good in light off-roading and snow.

opngrnd
02-28-21, 21:55
So I have had a 2013 Tahoe and now own a 2017 GMC Sierra, but I have been in your predicament before. Granted I live in a winter climate so take that as you will, but 2 tires that seem to do everything well for both AT and AS have been the the General Grabber APT (Tahoe) and Yokahama Geolander A/T's (Sierra) they combine the best of both worlds in my humble opinion. The Generals were great, and got decent fuel economy, the Yokahama's are better off-road, but really tame on road. Links are below.

https://generaltire.com/tires/light-trucksuv/grabber-apt

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

If you want something to go with your leveling kit that are awesome A/t tires, I recommend Falken Wildpeak A/T's

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeaka/t3w-tire

+1 on the Falkens. I've been very happy with mine, although my main concern is snow and wet roads.

CRAMBONE
02-28-21, 22:38
The one product in the last couple years, out of all categories, that has impressed me the most is Bridgestone Blizzacs as snow tires (if that's what you're asking). I preach the Blizzac gospel with the fervor of a traveling evangelist. Yea though I drive through the valley of snow, I will not slip and slide, etc.

I guess their snow tires are better than their other lines. Because IMO Bridgestone Tires suck. We’ve had three different sets on two different Yukons and every set has been horrible.

I’ve had good luck with Toyo ATs. They stock my 2500 diesel on wet pavement well enough and have good off-road traction. And I’ve gotten great mileage with Hankook.

pag23
03-01-21, 03:37
I personally run ATs on my truck...BFG KO2 and this winter they have been very good in the snow we had in PA. Plus I got a decent deal on them..

Adrenaline_6
03-01-21, 07:41
I personally run ATs on my truck...BFG KO2 and this winter they have been very good in the snow we had in PA. Plus I got a decent deal on them..

I have heard good things about the KO2's. I have Open Country 's on my LX570. Road wise, they have been plenty good. I 'm sure there is a little bit more road noise, but the trade off is better off road and water siphoning capability.

AndyLate
03-01-21, 11:08
I worked in a service station in the mid to late 1980s and the Toyo Open Country A/T tires really dominated our area. They were reasonably priced, held up against cactus and lasted very well on the gravel roads.

Of course, once everyone became fans, the prices crept up.

I am pleased to see at least some of the Toyo tires are made in the US.

Andy

pag23
03-01-21, 12:11
I have heard good things about the KO2's. I have Open Country 's on my LX570. Road wise, they have been plenty good. I 'm sure there is a little bit more road noise, but the trade off is better off road and water siphoning capability.

They aren't that bad on the highway, but I had to get mudflaps as any piece of debris on a road would get picked up and flung backwards. They had no problem in the snow and they are snow/severe (or whatever they call the little snowflake emblem on the tire) rated.

Pacific5th
03-01-21, 14:49
Have you looked into Falken Wildpeak ATW3’s? They are all the rage these days in the PNW where wet conditions and if your in the right place snow and Ice is a concern. I picked them over the BFG AT’s and absolutely love them. I use them on my 90 4Runner and off road it. They have been great in all off road conditions and also on road handle great and are quite.

sndt1319
03-01-21, 22:05
Just an FYI if you are a USAA member, you can get like 20% off Goodyear tires. I saved $200 on a set of Duratracks for my Tacoma. I’m switching from BFG’s because I’m planning on selling the truck in a couple months but can’t safely keep rolling the tires I have.

vicious_cb
03-01-21, 23:20
Just an FYI if you are a USAA member, you can get like 20% off Goodyear tires. I saved $200 on a set of Duratracks for my Tacoma. I’m switching from BFG’s because I’m planning on selling the truck in a couple months but can’t safely keep rolling the tires I have.

Memory holed Goodyear already?

Reminder: Don't buy goodyear.

https://gray-wibw-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/i2nOy34rEqzLcvV2guM3hDOlQTs=/980x0/smart/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gray/GJZQHF6F6BFP3N7XD7YWTJZROY.jpg

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?225155-Goodyear-Tires-just-screwed-themselves

Vandal
03-02-21, 05:05
Have you looked into Falken Wildpeak ATW3’s? They are all the rage these days in the PNW where wet conditions and if your in the right place snow and Ice is a concern. I picked them over the BFG AT’s and absolutely love them. I use them on my 90 4Runner and off road it. They have been great in all off road conditions and also on road handle great and are quite.

Another vote for Wildpeak AT3Ws. I run them on my Cherokee Trailhawk in the PacNW. They seem to be a very solid blend of off-road useful, good on the highway since I have a 50 mile round trip commute, and they have been great in the snow and ice. They are pretty quiet on the roads too. When I lived in a snowier area and drove cars I had winter and 3 season tires. My last Audi wore Continental Sport Contacts for 3 seasons then would be swapped out for Continental WinterContacts for the snowy season. Blizzaks have been the standard for years, but I thought the WinterContacts were better from driving with both.

If you don't want to swap tires, a good set of either AS or ATs with the "Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake" logo will be the best bet. Most OEM tires, outside of the sports cars and high-line brands, are hot garbage tires designed for fuel economy and low road noise.

AndyLate
03-02-21, 06:20
Memory holed Goodyear already?

Reminder: Don't buy goodyear.

https://gray-wibw-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com/resizer/i2nOy34rEqzLcvV2guM3hDOlQTs=/980x0/smart/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/gray/GJZQHF6F6BFP3N7XD7YWTJZROY.jpg

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?225155-Goodyear-Tires-just-screwed-themselves

The need to put my truck in Auto 4WD (quasi AWD) to accelerate in the rain since day one with the OEM GY tires took the brand out of the running early on.

Andy

AndyLate
03-02-21, 06:21
Double

Andy

grizzlyblake
03-02-21, 07:23
Northwest Georgia here, so similar conditions. I've run KO2s on my 2014 4Runner and they were okay. They were terrible in the wet, just would not hook up. They were confidence inspiring on rocky forest service roads and that sort of thing. They got really loud after about 35k miles. I got 50k miles out of my set before deciding they were too sketchy in the rain.

I'm currently running Michelin Defender LTXs and they are about as boring as a tire can be. They are kind of ugly, but they are extremely smooth and quiet, and have the best wet pavement traction of any tire I've used. I currently have 20k miles on them and they're at 9/32nds depth (12/32nds new).

I've had the Michelins in the snow on the road here and they do extremely well. If you look at the tread design you'll see they use tons of siping which is why they do so well in wet and snow.