PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on an AR 8.5" SBR setup

HanYolo
02-28-21, 15:09
I'm assembling a home defense weapon/general purpose system using an 8.5" 300 blk as the platform with an Omega 300 suppressor. I have some questions, as there is little real estate on this weapon and compromise may be necessary.

1) LASER + OPTIC + BUIS: Should I run an optic with an illuminator? I am resolute on running the laser but do I really need all three (laser, optic, BUIS) since this is going to be a CQC/CQB system? Would I be better off with just a set of quality fixed sights to back up the laser? Running all three seems redundantly redundant and eats a ton of my top rail.

2) WEAPON LIGHT: I'm thinking a TLR-1 since I can easily get a dual switch for the torch and the laser and the TLR-1 seems like it would take up less real estate. Are there better alternatives that have a low profile and accept a dual pressure pad without adapters? Also, where should I run the light? I'm right handed and was planning to run it top/front (shadow down) with the laser on the 3 o'clock, pressure pad on the 9 o'clock. Would that make sense?

3) VERTICAL FOREGRIP: I strongly prefer VFGs. Foregrips with an integrated light would be helpful and save me some real estate; however, most look like toys. Are there any durable/tested/good ones out there?

To be clear, I can concede accessories on this system; however, I cannot concede the laser, light, and foregrip. I'm just trying to fit all of this on a short gun. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Stickman
02-28-21, 15:41
I'm assembling a home defense weapon/general purpose system using an 8.5" 300 blk as the platform with an Omega 300 suppressor. I have some questions, as there is little real estate on this weapon and compromise may be necessary.

1) LASER + OPTIC + BUIS: Should I run an optic with an illuminator? I am resolute on running the laser but do I really need all three (laser, optic, BUIS) since this is going to be a CQC/CQB system? Would I be better off with just a set of quality fixed sights to back up the laser? Running all three seems redundantly redundant and eats a ton of my top rail.

2) WEAPON LIGHT: I'm thinking a TLR-1 since I can easily get a dual switch for the torch and the laser and the TLR-1 seems like it would take up less real estate. Are there better alternatives that have a low profile and accept a dual pressure pad without adapters? Also, where should I run the light? I'm right handed and was planning to run it top/front (shadow down) with the laser on the 3 o'clock, pressure pad on the 9 o'clock. Would that make sense?

3) VERTICAL FOREGRIP: I strongly prefer VFGs. Foregrips with an integrated light would be helpful and save me some real estate; however, most look like toys. Are there any durable/tested/good ones out there?

To be clear, I can concede accessories on this system; however, I cannot concede the laser, light, and foregrip. I'm just trying to fit all of this on a short gun. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Short on rail space? Dump the BUIS.

If you like the TLR1 go ahead and get it, useful training will be of larger importance. Included with that training is making sure you get it zero'd properly...

If you want a VFG, get a VFG and ditch the built in laser idea.

More importantly, what ammo have you stocked up on for this concept?

Captains1911
02-28-21, 16:26
I have a very similar setup, 9” 300 BLK with same can. I played with various light setups, and settled on a Streamlight TLR RM2 (was running an Inforce WML prior with very similar ergos) in a Haley Strategic Thorntail 2 offset mount. It works well for me. I do have a BUIS, and my support hand thumb just rides on top of it. I had Magpul MBUS Pros on at one point, and they’re smaller size freed up two additional rail slots, but I moved them over to another rifle and decided I don’t mind my thumb riding on top of the sight. Lastly, I really like BCM KAG foregrips, and have them on most of my rifles, but just didn’t have the railestate on this one to get it to work. Hope this helps.

https://i.postimg.cc/T3qxY9Pw/ED24-A99-A-A054-4402-963-C-21789-E5-C61-E2.jpg

MegademiC
03-01-21, 08:20
1. I don't feel buis necessary for HD due to range if you have a good sight and change batteries every year.

2, check out the trex light bar if it will always wear a silencer. Puts the light far enough out to pretty much eliminate shadow.
3 . I would skip the laser. This would also free up rail space for buis if you want them... I'd run fixed for your situation since you probably won't have time to mess with flip ups in a HD situation.

bamashooter
03-01-21, 09:08
Most likely a quick optic, tac-light, and laser (or light/laser combo) will do you well. If this is primarily indoors defense, just point and commence firing.

223to45
03-01-21, 23:00
Have pretty much the same set up.
Has more then enough real estate.

You have a red dot and a white light. Why would you need a laser?
You spend too much time trying to find the laser dot.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210302/0364002dd7ecb535a762c8ef4d7f3600.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MWAG19919
03-02-21, 00:13
I say dump the BUIS and spend the money on an Aimpoint Comp M5/T2 and a solid mount. You're not gonna kill a T2 inside your house. VFG shouldn't be a problem but keep it simple. And as for the light, I don't see why you'd go TLR when a 18350 Modlite could be had. Not that the TLR is bad, but aside from cost I don't see why you wouldn't get a compact scout instead. There's plenty of mounts that'll tuck it in nicely with whatever IR/laser you're thinking.

tlw613sp
03-02-21, 21:30
Do NOT drop an optic in favor of a laser. The optic is going to be faster than the laser. In fact, ditch the laser period even if you had space. It's useless unless IR for NV aiming.

Priorities (in order): White light, optic.

MistWolf
03-02-21, 22:13
Use a longer handguard.

Pappabear
03-04-21, 13:13
I just don’t get the need to go shorter than 10.3, but it’s your world. Every inch gets pickier and pickier. I know folks have guns that run. Anything shorter than 10.3, I’m going PCC in a proven gun. Think MP5, B&T APC...

Good luck man.

PB

Captains1911
03-04-21, 19:38
I just don’t get the need to go shorter than 10.3, but it’s your world. Every inch gets pickier and pickier. I know folks have guns that run. Anything shorter than 10.3, I’m going PCC in a proven gun. Think MP5, B&T APC...

Good luck man.

PB

We’re discussing 300 BLK and the downside of shorter hand guards, not the reliability of 5.56 barrels shorter than 10.3”.

Pappabear
03-04-21, 19:47
I said good luck and meant it. Don't be so fussy. Not everybody here is going to champion your ideas. That is the value of a forum.

You never said if you have any 300 BO Ammo?

Now relax and don't cry if everybody doesn't love your idea. It's all good.

PB

Captains1911
03-04-21, 20:09
I said good luck and meant it. Don't be so fussy. Not everybody here is going to champion your ideas. That is the value of a forum.

PB

I’m not the OP, I was just pointing out the irrelevancy of your response.

Eda
03-04-21, 20:18
As others have said ditch the laser. Your priorities should be light, optic, vfg, buis. Also I imagine you know but get good quality mags, ie 300blk pmags/lancer mags or tested usgi mags. Also, resist the urge to use subs. You should choose a good, tested supersonic load. 110 barnes tsx is king, but there are other tested loads

Warp
03-06-21, 19:05

PB

OP's very first sentence says this is a 300 blackout build. It follows different rules than 5.56. It was specifically created to fun optimally in a 9" barrel for example. You seem to be stuck thinking 5.56 but that's not what's on the table here. And you aren't talking to the OP so it's not his idea.

Relax.

HanYolo
03-08-21, 11:45
I appreciate the wide array of opinions. Thank you.

I am ditching the BUIS, as many suggested and I'm gonna try a Magpul forward offset light mount at 9 o'clock.

The one thing I struggle with is using the green laser as backup for the red dot. A few have mentioned ditching the laser; however, when Holosun had a demo day for my agency, the green laser illuminator was a huge hit, especially on auto and rapid semi-auto. For home defense, it seemed like an obvious benefit, especially considering low light, bleary-eyed, middle-of-the-night action. What am I overlooking?

daddyusmaximus
03-08-21, 21:37
Couple things to consider... I know you said it's gonna be a .300 BO, so the shorter barrel will work fine, but in going short, you will run into one problem the 7.5" 5.56 guys run into. The rail will be so short that it may compromise you grip, or where you want to place items on the gun like the VFG and light. This alone may be reason enough to go with a longer barrel. My .300 BO (when I had one) had the 11.3" Wilson Combat barrel, and it worked out perfect. Also, if you are going to be using this as a defensive weapon for the home, you'll not be running subsonic rounds, and limiting yourself to handgun like energy levels when there are rounds like the 110 gr VOR-TX out there. With a super sonic round, the longer barrel will help. In any case... prioritize the red dot, light, and VFG. Only worry about BUIS if you have the space left. Don't forget a sling. You may need to use your hands at some point...

MistWolf
03-09-21, 06:57
If you use a longer handguard, one that covers part of the suppressor, you can buy yourself more rail estate. A mid length tube should work. Maybe even a rifle length.