PDA

View Full Version : CFE Pistol powder?

Ron3
03-02-21, 13:29
Anyone use it?

I got a pound just to have another powder available. I saw "pistol", "low flash", and "meters well" and grabbed while I could.

Reading more about it doesn't seem very versatile.

I plan to load .25 acp, .32 Long and Magnum, and .44 Russian. Maybe .32 acp eventually.

Its sounding like its best for loading mid to max loads in magnum calibers and acceptable in big cases like .45 acp if loaded near max.

I haven't found official load data for any of what I intend to load except the .32 H&R Magnum. Seems like an "acceptable" powder for that but less desirable in the others.

Basically it sounds like it's a less expensive powder of availability/desperation.

Thoughts?

chadbag
03-02-21, 16:39
It appears to be mostly a 9/40/45 type of powder. This is the page for it on the Hodgdon website

https://hodgdon.com/cfe-pistol/

You can look up what calibers they provide data for. They list some 25acp as well.

Coal Dragger
03-02-21, 19:32
I ran through a whole pound of the stuff over 2019-2020. Metered well, burns clean enough. No complaints.

Made some pretty accurate 9X19 rounds, enough to see me well into the top 10% of “A” zone hits at my first USPSA match out of a VP9 long slide. Just don’t ask me what my times were like LOL....

hotrodder636
03-03-21, 06:51
Works well enough for 9mm IME. The CFE 223 on the other hand, not a huge fan. Even loaded on the mild side, shows signs of high pressure—all primers totally flattened with case head swiping. Never got to check velocities as I didn’t have my Lab-Radar at the time. I may get a lb and see what numbers I see compared to my XBR8208 and TAC.

Ron3
03-03-21, 10:10
It appears to be mostly a 9/40/45 type of powder. This is the page for it on the Hodgdon website

https://hodgdon.com/cfe-pistol/

You can look up what calibers they provide data for. They list some 25acp as well.

Oh, sweet! I missed that, thanks!

Coal Dragger
03-05-21, 15:52
Works well enough for 9mm IME. The CFE 223 on the other hand, not a huge fan. Even loaded on the mild side, shows signs of high pressure—all primers totally flattened with case head swiping. Never got to check velocities as I didn’t have my Lab-Radar at the time. I may get a lb and see what numbers I see compared to my XBR8208 and TAC.

I have had good experiences with CFE 223, but I’m loading up to near max listed for .223 REM. I only have true 5.56mm NATO chambers though.

gunnerblue
03-05-21, 16:12
I bought a pound to try in standard-pressure 9mm, .45 ACP, .44 Special and .45 Colt as an alternative to Win 231, Bullseye and Unique. It worked fine and I wouldn't mind using it if that was all that I had. I expect it'll work fine in the .25 and .32 ACP, the .32 Long and the Russian (neat round, btw). I'd think it may he too fast for the .32 Mag, tho

gaijin
03-05-21, 17:09
Word to the wise; there are several CFE powders currently.

Witnessed a nimrod grenade a carbine he built (5.56) last summer.
He was dialing in off the bench, touched one off that sounded “odd”, and I was dodging upper receiver chunks.
He was adamant that it had to have been a bad barrel.

Fortunately no injuries.

Saw him weeks later and asked how that shook out, if he ever resolved WHAT had happened.
His shooting bud jumped in and offered “Jimmy loaded 20 some grains of CFE PISTOL Powder in a few cases, he had been loading 9mm and didn’t put that can back on the shelf.”

DG23
03-05-21, 18:58
Word to the wise; there are several CFE powders currently.

Witnessed a nimrod grenade a carbine he built (5.56) last summer.
He was dialing in off the bench, touched one off that sounded “odd”, and I was dodging upper receiver chunks.
He was adamant that it had to have been a bad barrel.

Fortunately no injuries.

Saw him weeks later and asked how that shook out, if he ever resolved WHAT had happened.
His shooting bud jumped in and offered “Jimmy loaded 20 some grains of CFE PISTOL Powder in a few cases, he had been loading 9mm and didn’t put that can back on the shelf.”

The bottles do look similar but the correct stuff would have said CFE .223 on it -

He is lucky he didn't hurt someone...

Ron3
03-05-21, 20:10
I bought a pound to try in standard-pressure 9mm, .45 ACP, .44 Special and .45 Colt as an alternative to Win 231, Bullseye and Unique. It worked fine and I wouldn't mind using it if that was all that I had. I expect it'll work fine in the .25 and .32 ACP, the .32 Long and the Russian (neat round, btw). I'd think it may he too fast for the .32 Mag, tho

Thanks!

Ron3
03-21-21, 22:36
So what do you do when you find load data (.25 acp, CFE Pistol) but the data is for a 50 gr FMJ bullet when I have 55 gr LEAD bullets?

I would assume since lead bullets are easier to push, one could use the same data. But not if it was the reverse situation. Yes, No, it depends?

gunnerblue
03-22-21, 07:47
Pure lead or lead alloy? Either way I would start at the suggested starting load and work up from there if desired.

gaijin
03-22-21, 08:26
A lead bullet should use less powder/at lower pressure for same velocity with same bullet weight- lead having greater "lubricity" than gilding metal of jacketed bullet.

opngrnd
03-22-21, 09:18
I've had great luck with it. I'm finishing an eight pound jug, starting another one, and I have one left on the shelf. I've loaded thousands of 45ACP ball ammo to standard velocities, 38 Super to moderate velocities, and 9mm loads to full pressure. I don't shoot bullseye, so I don't know how it compares when trying to eke out the tiniest groups possible, but I'm happy with it

Ron3
03-22-21, 15:43
Pure lead or lead alloy? Either way I would start at the suggested starting load and work up from there if desired.

I dont recall I'll have to check.

Ron3
03-22-21, 15:49

55 gr .251 no crimp groove BHN15.