PDA

View Full Version : Sig Romeo 5, really as good as it looks?

Grendelshooter
03-03-21, 11:36
So most of my rifles wear LPVOs or Aimpoint Pros. I’ve had a couple of the PA knock off micro red dots and never cared for them, they were always too blue tinted or too dim. Ended up losing them in a move and haven’t missed them.
Well I needed a red dot (like now) so swung by my local sporting goods store and they had Sig Romeo 5 on sale. Figured for $120 I’m not losing much until I can get another LPVO on order.

Imagine my shock when I get it home and it’s as bright as my aimpoints and crystal clear. Not only that but to my (astigmatic) eye it’s actually a more defined dot than the aimpoints too. It uses the same batteries as my LPVOs and larger scopes (big + to me), but the mount is absolutely trash.

So I put it on a DD mount and holy hell I am in love with this little red dot! I can’t keep from playing with it.

I’ve always figured they were just cheap aimpoint clones but this seems to perform as well as my PRO or issued M68. So what’s the catch? Is this thing going to fall apart or is it really as solid as it seems? I’ve never really screwed with Sig but this thing is very impressive.

Nocalsocal
03-03-21, 12:01
I just got a Romeo 4t because I liked all the features: 100k hrs, 7075 body, clear glass, friendly with my astigmatism etc.
The Romeo 5 took a beating on a YouTube channel ( Alabama arsenal?) and I got a screaming deal on an opened box Romeo 4t. If the Romeo 5 can withstand all that abuse I’m pretty confident the 4t will be the same. I’m planning on putting a Romeo 5 on my sons 22lr AR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikhailBarracuda91
03-03-21, 12:20
I just got a Romeo 4t because I liked all the features: 100k hrs, 7075 body, clear glass, friendly with my astigmatism etc.
The Romeo 5 took a beating on a YouTube channel ( Alabama arsenal?) and I got a screaming deal on an opened box Romeo 4t. If the Romeo 5 can withstand all that abuse I’m pretty confident the 4t will be the same. I’m planning on putting a Romeo 5 on my sons 22lr AR

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMy 4t has been good to me

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ToeTagger6552
03-03-21, 13:17
I have 4 Romeo 5's. They work great for me.

georgeib
03-03-21, 13:28
I have 5 Holosuns, who manufacture the electronics for the Romeos, and they have all been flawless except for the first one that stopped changing brightness settings. Sent it in, and they replaced it with a much nicer model in a week.

Manofmayhem
03-03-21, 14:21
I love my Romeo 5. I have 2 and will get more.

omegajb
03-03-21, 15:50
At the $120 price point and made in China, there might be a few duds but I don't have any complaints on the two I have for plinker guns.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Grendelshooter
03-03-21, 16:40
At the $120 price point and made in China, there might be a few duds but I don't have any complaints on the two I have for plinker guns.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I have to wonder.
They compare well to the Aimpoints I own and have used in terms of brightness, and seem to be fairly durable.
Eh, I guess we shall see

Pappabear
03-04-21, 12:49
I have multiple Aimpoint T2’s M4comp....I like my Sig Romeo better than my cheapest Aimpoint. It’s clear and the dot doesn’t go from too dim to starburst like many dots do. It titrates up very well so you can get the light level just where you want it.

I’ve had no quality issues even though they have never gone into battle, save the T2’s for that. But I got tired of buying $600+ dots.

They recently made a newer, even cheaper RDS that looks ok. I did change the mount to Bobro or Geissele though which bumps the cost, still not anywhere near Aimpoint price.

PB

Red*Lion
03-12-21, 08:37
Romeo 5's available for $115 with free shipping if anyone is interested.

https://www.bereli.com/sig-sauer-sor50000-romeo5-1x20mm-compact-2-moa-red-dot-sight-high-mount-only/

Red*Lion
03-12-21, 08:37
Dupe.

daddyusmaximus
03-12-21, 09:33
I have 3 of them... Lever gun, Lee Enfield, AR SBR...
Great little sight for the money.
My son has them on his Mosin, and AR as well.

Pappabear
03-12-21, 11:47

https://www.bereli.com/sig-sauer-sor50000-romeo5-1x20mm-compact-2-moa-red-dot-sight-high-mount-only/

I snagged one, thanks for the tip.

PB

Esq.
03-12-21, 12:37
I snagged one, thanks for the tip.

PB

Damn him....bought 2 myself! Lol....Cheap enough, give them a try. Got some .22's that can use a red dot if nothing else....

Red*Lion
03-12-21, 13:22
Damn him....bought 2 myself! Lol....Cheap enough, give them a try. Got some .22's that can use a red dot if nothing else....

I think that you will find that you like it quite a bit.

Esq.
03-12-21, 13:28

I have heard though that these Chinese Red Dots will turn my dick yellow and have me eyeing the dog for supper, but, it's a risk I'm willing to take........

ETA: I already have a tracking number on my 2, going to be here on Tuesday! Very happy.....My Optics Planet order on the other hand.....Sad/Angry Panda on that one!

WillBrink
03-12-21, 14:02
I have multiple Aimpoint T2’s M4comp....I like my Sig Romeo better than my cheapest Aimpoint. It’s clear and the dot doesn’t go from too dim to starburst like many dots do. It titrates up very well so you can get the light level just where you want it.

I’ve had no quality issues even though they have never gone into battle, save the T2’s for that. But I got tired of buying $600+ dots.

They recently made a newer, even cheaper RDS that looks ok. I did change the mount to Bobro or Geissele though which bumps the cost, still not anywhere near Aimpoint price.

PB

Just a matter of time trickle down tech allowed for close quality of the expensive RDS for a fraction of the cost. Happens with all tech these days, and the cycle getting faster. Took companies a long time to realize they could make and sell flashlights close to surefire quality for a lot less $ that fits most needs, etc. Happening a lot in the audio world too. Watches as well.

m1a_scoutguy
03-13-21, 01:03

Yea about that,,,,I had just ordered from BigTexOutdoors and then somehow came across these guys! Yea,$114 free shipping,, what the hell,,, LOL I Love Big Tex but $20+ bucks is $20 bucks! Oh well. I had never heard of Bereli.com are they GTG? Anyways I received my ROMEO5 today and will be running it Sunday so I'll let ya know how I like it.

Esq.
03-13-21, 08:00
Yea about that,,,,I had just ordered from BigTexOutdoors and then somehow came across these guys! Yea,$114 free shipping,, what the hell,,, LOL I Love Big Tex but $20+ bucks is $20 bucks! Oh well. I had never heard of Bereli.com are they GTG? Anyways I received my ROMEO5 today and will be running it Sunday so I'll let ya know how I like it.

Tracking says my 2 will be here Tuesday. I'll post up whether I got red dots or a Golden Golf Ball....

RHINOWSO
03-13-21, 10:09
For a cheap RDS, the Romeo 5 is nice. I have several on PCC weapons where I really don't want to drop $600+ for an H/T-2 Aimpoint, and if I ever decided to use one for serious purposes, I'd just swap over one of my Aimpoints to them in 2 min. I paid around $110 each for the Romeo 5s.

Once I get into the $350+ range, I'm far more likely just to splurge on an Aimpoint.

pag23
03-13-21, 21:52
Primary Arms has them at $119... With both the high and low mount

Sku # is different so I am guessing that is the reason... I will wait for those in the know to chime in.

Manofmayhem
03-13-21, 21:56
Primary Arms has them at $119... With both the high and low mount

Sku # is different so I am guessing that is the reason... I will wait for those in the know to chime in.SOR50000 is only the high riser. SOR52001 has the high and low riser. This is true across all vendors.

e z money
05-26-21, 00:07
It wasn't that long ago, you had a choice, a $400 optic or a $50 garbage red dot. Nothing in between. My rifle had iron sights on it for years because I couldnt afford a eotech or aimpoint but I refused to put garbage on my rifle. I was so happy to see the Romeo 5. I put it on my rifle and shot an 8 point buck with it. But then found that I could afford a aimpoint pro and replaced the sig optic. But I kinda miss it.