PDA

View Full Version : Tactical AK The next generation?

krinker
11-13-06, 20:19
It looks like the AK platform has a new lease on life with the tactical acessories available for it today. Do you think this is sustainable or just a soon to die fad?

Very few real Quality Tactical acessories are avaliable for it and many seem to find their way from the AR platform. The way I see it if a shooter buys a $350.00 AK to acessorize he has already saved anywhere between $250.00 to $650.00 in the initial cost of the rifle over that of an AR. I can see the appeal of the cheap AK with alot of extras for an overall cost of about half of what a similary outfited AR would cost. Any thoughts guys?

TOrrock
11-13-06, 22:31
I'll probably be stoned for this but I honestly think that most "tactical" accessories aren't needed or necessarily add all that much, if anything, to the overall performance of the rifle.

A solid optics mounting system, which the receiver rail does well, and a way to mount white light are about it....and the white light can be mounted on the Israeli TDI synthetic handguard or the Russian copy thereof.

I'm still using iron sights on my Arsenal Inc. SLR-105A1 (AK-74) and usually come in the top 5 of practical rifle competitions in the area.

I do believe that the AK is an evolving system, it always has been. I'd really like to see some well thought out accessories that aren't just moved over from the AR camp.

Akoni
11-14-06, 01:39
I'll probably be stoned for this but I honestly think that most "tactical" accessories aren't needed or necessarily add all that much, if anything, to the overall performance of the rifle.

A solid optics mounting system, which the receiver rail does well, and a way to mount white light are about it....and the white light can be mounted on the Israeli TDI synthetic handguard or the Russian copy thereof.

I'm still using iron sights on my Arsenal Inc. SLR-105A1 (AK-74) and usually come in the top 5 of practical rifle competitions in the area.

I do believe that the AK is an evolving system, it always has been. I'd really like to see some well thought out accessories that aren't just moved over from the AR camp.

I agree and would only add a SWIFT lever and a peep rear...maybe an XS front.

MudBug
11-14-06, 02:08
I agree and would only add a SWIFT lever and a peep rear...maybe an XS front.

Peep sights on an AK suck, the rear sight isn't close enough to your eye to work like they should.

Tactical Response is working with the XS guys on a set of big dots for AK's.

Jay Cunningham
11-14-06, 06:42
Here is an opinion that I posted on another board concerning useful aftermarket Kalashnikov accessories:

Here are my recommendations for useful upgrades:

A good sling, such as the Vickers Combat Applications Sling. You would need the BF HK hook adapter for this.

A BlackJack Buffers notched SWIFT lever. You will thank me for this later.

A TDI lower handguard, if you are so inclined to use a vert grip or a light. I would suggest a SF X200 series in this application.

A Kobra EKP-8-02 optic if you do indeed have the side optics rail or an AimPoint mounted on an Ultimak gas tube if you are inclined to use a red dot optic.

A G2 FCG if you don't like the factory trigger.

I can't think of much else that might be useful besides lots of ammo, mags and range time.

Akoni
11-14-06, 12:15
Peep sights on an AK suck, the rear sight isn't close enough to your eye to work like they should.

Tactical Response is working with the XS guys on a set of big dots for AK's.

Somewhat true, but IMO they are better than most of the stock blade sights.

I hope the new XS offering includes a better rear sight.

yasnevo
11-15-06, 19:52
I really like the Ultimak gas tube replacement rail... then... mount an EOTECH on it. Its super fast and surprisingly accurate for the AK platform. Only thing is... is that the shooters head has to be held a bit higher to view into the back of the EOTECH. I am sure that duct-tape and some sort of pad will remedy this.

In April 07 I am going back to Camden, TN for two weeks of training with Tactical Responce and will most likely use my AK103 as my primary weapon system... with the Ultimak and EOTECH... I want to shake out the bugs and see how it works in such a high round count environment...

More than anything else I am testing the Ultimak and the EOTECH... I want to really see how the EOTECH holds up mounted on the Ultimak and if it shuts down when it gets hot from the Ultimak/gas tube...

As some of you know, the peels that we do from the vehicles involve anywhere from 5-8 mags... I am sure that this is plenty to heat up the gas tube as well as the EOTECH.

Y-

Heavy Metal
11-15-06, 20:02
My only gripe against the Ultimak is you cannot easily remove the gas tube for maintainence. If you are only shooting non-corrosive, I don't think it would be much of a problem.

yasnevo
11-15-06, 20:12
If you are only shooting non-corrosive, I don't think it would be much of a problem.

I do only shoot non-corrosive ammo...

Y

Akoni
11-17-06, 09:11
Smith Enterprises has a new rear blade sight for the AK that looks pretty good. The one I saw a picture of had tritium dots which I do not like on a rear sight (any rear sight including pistols) but I think it can be had w/out trit inserts. I'm trying to order one and see how it goes.

xpd54
12-06-06, 13:04
I think alot of it depends on what you're using the AK for. I break it down into 4 categories:

MOST people have no need for anything other than a stock AK cuz all they do is play with it. (Category 1)

Some people who use it as as simple, inexpensive defensive rifle would only have need for a flashlight added to the rifle in addition to maybe some night sights. (Category 2)

Others want a good, inexpensive defensive rifle with an optic and a light which can be solved by using a TDI lower and an Ultimak gas piston rail. (Category 3)

Contractors may have a different need for acces. than the rest of us. They may need/want a GOOD rail system (Surefire, Krebs, Ultimak) to mount lights, optics and PAQ lasers. (Category 4)

I think that as long as there are people who fall into Categories 2-4, the quality Tactical Accessories for the AK are here to stay.