PDA

View Full Version : Anyone find anything more than one dot for RDS reticle too busy?

FlyingChipmunk
03-04-21, 20:45
My first RDS was actually an EOTech with 65 MOA ring, but I realized I just felt too busy with the reticle and ended up going with Aimpoint PRO at the end.

Odd thing is I actually like dot-and-circle more for handguns (felt like it's easier to "find" the reticle)

Wondering if other people have similar experience.

Wake27
03-04-21, 21:21
Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
03-04-21, 21:28
Nope.

MistWolf
03-05-21, 03:02
I want a two dot Aimpoint- one dot for distance and one dot for close up holdovers.

vandal5
03-05-21, 05:14
I want a two dot Aimpoint- one dot for distance and one dot for close up holdovers.

Thought Eotech used to make one, but dont remember ever seeing one from Aimpoint.

Eurodriver
03-05-21, 06:43
.Yes.

mebiuspower
03-05-21, 07:25

You can either:

1) Get the CompM5b
2) Get another Aimpoint and stack it in front or behind your existing Aimpoint

gaijin
03-05-21, 07:34
I always preferred the smallest (2-3 MOA) Dot I could get on both handgun/carbine.
Holosun (yeah, ChiCom) makes a circle/Dot handgun reticle:

https://holosun.com/index/product/item/cid/1.html

Mysteryman
03-05-21, 22:37
My first RDS was actually an EOTech with 65 MOA ring, but I realized I just felt too busy with the reticle and ended up going with Aimpoint PRO at the end.

Odd thing is I actually like dot-and-circle more for handguns (felt like it's easier to "find" the reticle)

Not necessarily too busy, just mostly useless. Red dot sights are about speed, not distance or precision.

ST911
03-06-21, 08:01

I recognize their utility, but don't care for them.

The_War_Wagon
03-06-21, 10:19

With astigmatism, that's EXACTLY what I thought about my EOTech. All those little dots get to "dancing" on me.

I've gone with Aimpoint ever since (11 years ago). Make mine ONE dot - small as possible, please.

Eda
03-06-21, 12:11
With astigmatism, that's EXACTLY what I thought about my EOTech. All those little dots get to "dancing" on me.

I've gone with Aimpoint ever since (11 years ago). Make mine ONE dot - small as possible, please.

I've always gone with eotech over Aimpoint because of my astigmatism. My first rds was an Aimpoint comp m4 and the dot was blurring so bad it was like a jagged 70 Moa dot. For whatever reason, with my eyes, eotechs are clear as day. I can clearly see the 65 Moa ring and the hashmarks, which I like to use as a close range among point, and the small center dot, which is more than precise enough for a battle rifle, is perfectly clear to my eye, with maybe the faintest smudge at the highest brightness.

FlyingChipmunk
03-06-21, 15:49
For me I felt like 65MOA and dot to be too much cognitive overload.

BoringGuy45
03-06-21, 20:38
I like the Vortex AMG UH-1 reticle, with the triangle at the bottom for 0-25 engagements, but the sight itself is so large and heavy, and for $800, I could get a much smaller and more robust Aimpoint CompM5.

Rogue556
03-06-21, 21:22
I don't really care for the EOTech reticle. I find it takes a simple concept and complicates it. The 65 MOA circle covers what I want to see unobstructed through the optic window, and detracts from the benefits that the larger window provides. A simple dot is less obtrusive to my eyes, and gives me all the information I need. If EOTech offered an EXPS3 with a simple dot with decent battery life, I'd consider it.

I know a lot of people love the EOTech under NVGs as well. I've tried it under NVGs and honestly thought it was worse under NV than it was in daytime use. The lowest setting is still too bright in darker conditions and washes out the image through the optic. My Comp M5 is drastically better under the same conditions.

I ended up selling my EXPS 3-0 to fund something else.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

titsonritz
03-06-21, 23:05
If EOTech offered an EXPS3 with a simple dot with decent battery life, I'd consider it.

You mean like the EXPS3-1 (https://www.eotechinc.com/model-exps3-1tm-hws)?

Rogue556
03-07-21, 02:34
You mean like the EXPS3-1 (https://www.eotechinc.com/model-exps3-1tm-hws)?

Well I'll be damned. I didn't know that was even a thing. I wonder if the reticle has any impact on battery life?

Thanks for the heads up on that.

pag23
03-07-21, 05:14
I like Aimpoints and a single red dot for my rifles, but I do like the Holosun 507 multi reticle crispness for a handgun RDS, not sure why but it works for me....astigmatism and glasses considered.

FlyingChipmunk
03-07-21, 10:14
I like Aimpoints and a single red dot for my rifles, but I do like the Holosun 507 multi reticle crispness for a handgun RDS, not sure why but it works for me....astigmatism and glasses considered.

I think it also has to deal with the size of the circle of the 507 series. (I have 507k) The "circle" on them is 32 MOA opposed to 65 MOA of EOTECH series.

I just use the circle like a really large dot. I know you are supposed to do similar with EOTECH too, but I find it to be too large to use like that unless I'm super close. (But then that may be the very reason why it's touted as the king of CQB)

03-07-21, 21:18
I’ve used EO and Aimpoint and I never found any utility in the 65moa circle.

MistWolf
03-11-21, 00:22
You can either:

1) Get the CompM5b
2) Get another Aimpoint and stack it in front or behind your existing Aimpoint

M5b has only one dot.