PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to buy an old aimpoint?

OldArmy01
03-04-21, 21:18
Any reason I shouldn't buy an old aimpoint that's the exact model I carried in Iraq back in 2008? There's one at a local gun&pawn for $300, has the lens flash hider, bikini end caps, takes the fat watch batteries. I don't recall the mount that was on it.

Worth it? I'm not building a clone, but my other red dots are Sig Romeo 5 and a vortex Spark II. I Kind of want it just cause, and find the duck bill mount for an A2 carry handle and put it on my 20" but that's silly. A 3x prisim would make more sense on the rifle, so in actuality I'd probably replace the Romeo 5 on my 11.5" with the bigger but probably more trust worthy old Aimpoint.

Allegedly it came from a NG unit? Or so said the store owner.

utahjeepr
03-04-21, 22:26
So the store owner is admitting to possession of stolen property? That's the only way he'd get an NG optic.:p

My guess is he's just trying to make it sound more tacticool. Assuming it ain't hot I see no reason not to get it. $300 is a fair price for an M2 IMO. If it was civilian owned it probably spent most of its life in the safe. Check over carefully.

OldArmy01
03-04-21, 23:31
Well, you say that, but I got a couple SureFire weapon lights back in 2012 when my unit deactivated and well actually I got a lot of stuff over the years from deactivating units where stuffs either not on the books or the person(s) in charge of turn in don't want to mess with turning in some obsecure items with poorly kept records.

Got a lot of tools that way from the mechanics in my first unit. Sooo to me it's certainly plausible. Anyway looks like the exact optic. If there's no reason not to grab it, I'll probably offer this newer lighter Romeo 5 and $150 in cash and see if he takes it.

Chubbs103
03-05-21, 00:39
I can't help but think of all the young men that spent a night walking a line through the woods in Ft Jackson when that thing wound up missing.

vandal5
03-05-21, 05:27
Irigin of the light aside, for an aimpoint, I would not turn down an ikd one as long as it didn't look abused. 300 buchs is a bit off from a new one. Sure there are lots of aimpoints from era still running strong.

omegajb
03-05-21, 05:48
The question would be does Aimpoint warranty cover military red dots owned by civilians?

If they will I think it's a good buy.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Arik
03-05-21, 06:53
They will not fix anything they no longer make

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

norbis
03-05-21, 13:18
I’d jump on that. I’ve been looking for a used Comp M2-4 at around that price. They aren’t super easy to find. Aimpoint is tried and true for me. I like that you can leave it on for months at a time. eBay has a lot that look very much like old army optics... some sellers have several up at a time. Maybe something they got from a surplus auction?

OldArmy01
03-05-21, 23:28
They will not fix anything they no longer make

That's disappointing to hear.

Arik
03-06-21, 07:57
That's disappointing to hear.I have an old aimpoint that went tits up and I'm SOL. To be fair this thing is like 20 years old and I got it used a decade ago. But it would be nice to still have it working

It's one of the Comp models

The_War_Wagon
03-06-21, 10:23
I ran CompM2's long after newer models came out. I upgraded as I went, and now I have all T-1's. Other than the shorter battery life, they'll serve you just fine.

duece71
03-07-21, 07:53
As long as it’s in decent shape, works and NOT stolen (how to prove that? Serial#?) then I say go for it.

RKB Armory
03-08-21, 09:57
The Aimpoint Comp M2 is no longer manufactured, but their website says, "Service is still provided."

https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpointr-compm2/

Edited to add: I think that is the website for Aimpoint in Sweden, not Aimpoint.us.

MR_JOSHUA
05-12-21, 20:43
If you find yourself buying an Aimpoint and need an excellent mount, let me know:
(have several of these new at huge discounts):

https://i.imgur.com/9zMUdDx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Bls37Hm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9jwxcXw.jpg

okie
05-13-21, 07:33
Guessing that's the old style M68? If so that's a decent price, assuming it's in good shape. If it's the newer style M68 with the AA battery and integral mount, that would be a bargain (again, assuming good shape).

The part about it being guard though is a bit off putting. I've heard Aimpoint will confiscate anything that's on the missing list if it comes through their warranty department. Don't know if it's true or not, but that's the word on the street.

It IS possible that it was bought with discretionary funds and then sold by the unit to the guardsman who pawned it. But it's equally possible that it was either stolen outright or "liberated" by the person who was supposed to destroy it.

From an ethical perspective, what's done is done, and your tax money paid for it in the first place, so you have every right in my opinion to buy it and use it if you want. You just kind of have to accept the possibility that it might get confiscated if you send it in for warranty work. That being said, Aimpoints don't generally need to be repaired. It will probably still be going strong a hundred years from now.