PDA

View Full Version : AR in a box

Bigkrackers
03-07-21, 15:32
A number of years ago I joined M4C looking for some info on what AR to buy. I ended up getting a complete upper and lower from BCM. After burning quite a bit of time going down the different M4C rabbit holes, I decided I wanted to build my own AR. I began buying parts and tools here and there and soon I had a box full of goodies. Well, before I could get building, we moved and the box was carefully packed up. Once everything was unpacked, the box moved into the closet where it sat for a couple years. The GF riots lit a fire under my butt, pun intended, to add another AR to the inventory. I can't really say why I picked all the parts that I did because it's been too long since I bought them, however, I love the AR platform and adding an 18" along with my BCM 16" just means its imperative I add a 10" soon.

Grey Ghost Precision Stripped lower
CMMG lower parts kit
Geissele G2S 2 stage trigger
Daniel Defense Enhanced pistol grip
BCM QD End Plate
B5 collapsible stock
Mil-spec buffer tube and spring kit - Brownells
BCM stripped upper
Aero Precision upper parts kit
Original bolt carrier group was Brownells M16 Nickel Boron - The bolt assembly was out of spec when testing head space.
-Replaced with PSA Prem Nickel Boron bolt carrier group
BCMGunfighter charging handle mod 3
Faxon 18" Gunner 5.56 barrel
Vltor flash hider
Midwest Industries low profile gas block
Faxon 15" aluminum M-Lock hand rail
Strike Eagle 1-6 x 24 and mount
Mbus flip sights - not pictured

Some unintended consequences of waiting too long to build after buying the parts; not being able to return something if it doesn't work and trying to find parts during a season of panic when parts are now hard to find.

The bolt assembly was a bit frustrating, not only because I couldn't return the product, but because finding a replacement was very difficult. I had to settle on a PSA when I would have rather gone with something like BCM. The stock was another secondary choice. Each of these components will be replaced at a later date. Otherwise, I didn't encounter any issues putting everything together.

I'll update when I get it out on the range to shoot, hopefully in the next week or two.

Just want to say thanks for all the people who contribute to the knowledge on this forum.

Red*Lion
03-08-21, 05:44
It looks really nice. You still got a quality BCG from PSA as the one you have is made by toolcraft as are a few others sold by PSA.

03-08-21, 06:47
Nice build.
I agree with the above. The PSA/Toolcraft NiB BCG is a great choice.

ViniVidivici
03-15-21, 01:08
Very nice build. Good parts list. Have you shot it yet? Curious how the Faxon barrel shoots.

Esq.
03-15-21, 15:50
Have you actually contacted Brownells about the bolt? They have a lifetime guarantee on everything they sell. They will replace/refund even YEARS later if the item breaks or was originally defective. I'd call/email them.

Adrenaline19
06-01-21, 00:05
Toolcraft.......two thumbs up

Adrenaline19
06-01-21, 00:07
Great look ! !
Smiling at your build and mine.....we have some components.

How did it shoot?!?

AndyLate
06-02-21, 21:57
Curious how the Faxon barrel shoots.

Ditto. The 20" gunner I had (now my brother's) was an easy MOA or better at 100 yards/meters.

Andy

bamashooter
06-04-21, 07:32
Installed a nickel boron from psa in 2018 when they were on sale for 89.00. Not sure if it was TC. They have multiple vendors and manufacturers. Gun jammed after the first round each time. After 6 attempts or so, I swapped it with a very basic PSA phosphate bcg from another gun. Both worked great and continue to do so. Believe it was extractor related and perhaps that tolerance-stacking deal.

06-04-21, 09:42
Installed a nickel boron from psa in 2018 when they were on sale for 89.00. Not sure if it was TC. They have multiple vendors and manufacturers. Gun jammed after the first round each time. After 6 attempts or so, I swapped it with a very basic PSA phosphate bcg from another gun. Both worked great and continue to do so. Believe it was extractor related and perhaps that tolerance-stacking deal.

I’m running two Toolcraft Nickel Boron BCGs (bought in 2020-2021 from PSA) with no issues.
Yours could have been PSA ones. They sell their own BCGs too. Or the new ones are better.

Bigkrackers
06-08-21, 19:22
Very nice build. Good parts list. Have you shot it yet? Curious how the Faxon barrel shoots.

I took it out and couldn't get anywhere close to a zero. I didn't have iron sites for it at the time and was using the scope that I had bore laser sighted at home. My mbus sights finally arrived from backorder, but haven't taken it out again. I laser bore sighted again with the mbus and had to adjust the rear sight all the way to one side to get it lined up. Did some searches and I guess this is not too uncommon, but I'll need to see what happens at the range. Hope to get out with it in the next couple weeks.

ViniVidivici
06-09-21, 01:36
Well, your boresight itself could be off, I suppose.

I do the old fashioned thing, take upper, sans BCG, mounted on sandbags or something stable....look through barrel, upon a small distant object (you know, 30-50 yards), then adjust sights and/or scope to that same point.

You'll be close to "on" when you shoot.

jbjh
06-10-21, 01:37

I do the old fashioned thing, take upper, sans BCG, mounted on sandbags or something stable....look through barrel, upon a small distant object (you know, 30-50 yards), then adjust sights and/or scope to that same point.

^This

I fire 1 shot, and use that as my mark to adjust off (just because shooting a gun makes me feel better). Don’t think I’ve ever been more than a couple of inches off, if that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyLate
06-11-21, 22:00

I have pretty good luck with that method.

I hope you get it sorted.

Andy

Bigkrackers
07-01-21, 18:24
Finally found some time to dig into this. I did notice on closer inspection that the free float hand rail was cocked to one side by maybe half the thickness of a credit card. Once I addressed this I used the laser bore sight again with the now mounted Mbus sights and the rear sight adjusted about dead even right to left where as before I had to move it almost all the way as far left as it would go. Tightened everything back down and off to the range I went. Happy to report that we are now shooting dead on target. I have about 300 rounds of various manufacture through it with no issues.

OutofBatt3ry
07-01-21, 23:46
Finally found some time to dig into this. I did notice on closer inspection that the free float hand rail was cocked to one side by maybe half the thickness of a credit card. Once I addressed this I used the laser bore sight again with the now mounted Mbus sights and the rear sight adjusted about dead even right to left where as before I had to move it almost all the way as far left as it would go. Tightened everything back down and off to the range I went. Happy to report that we are now shooting dead on target. I have about 300 rounds of various manufacture through it with no issues.

:dance3:

AndyLate
07-03-21, 08:10
Thats great news!