PDA

View Full Version : SRP and SPP Primers at Brownells

Red*Lion
03-08-21, 13:32
Going quickly though.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/primers/rifle-primers/rifle-primers-prod79080.aspx?psize=96

pointblank4445
03-08-21, 13:38
LOL...they were in stock when I clicked the link, but OOS, when I added to cart.

Red*Lion
03-08-21, 14:36
LOL...they were in stock when I clicked the link, but OOS, when I added to cart.

That sucks. I try to give folks a heads up when I find them in stock, but they go really quickly.

m1a_scoutguy
03-08-21, 16:58
I guess if we keep telling ourselves that $47 bucks per 1K is a "fair" price in these times then we will just get use to the increase and follow suit and keep buying them. I mean after all the same primers are going for $300 on GB so hell this price isn't bad ! :rolleyes: I get the whole supply & demand thing but has it cost the manufacturers more to make the same primer they been making for the last year or more ? I suppose theirs more overhead with OT more people working etc,,cost of copper did go up I hear so I guess its the perfect storm ! Anyway thanks for the heads up, I need nothing for a long time but if I catch something that looks good I will probably just buy it and sell it to my buddies in need for what I paid.

Pappabear
03-08-21, 21:29
We gotta help each other out. That's all we can do.

PB

Ron3
03-08-21, 22:03
That sucks. I try to give folks a heads up when I find them in stock, but they go really quickly.

A few weeks ago I was entering card information for Brownells primers when my total went to zero.

If you arent using an auto-payer it's nearly impossible to buy them at a decent price. I've ordered some by paying way too much and I'm on a pre-order for others. Still dont have any though.

themonk
03-09-21, 07:31
I guess if we keep telling ourselves that $47 bucks per 1K is a "fair" price in these times then we will just get use to the increase and follow suit and keep buying them. I mean after all the same primers are going for $300 on GB so hell this price isn't bad ! :rolleyes: I get the whole supply & demand thing but has it cost the manufacturers more to make the same primer they been making for the last year or more ? I suppose theirs more overhead with OT more people working etc,,cost of copper did go up I hear so I guess its the perfect storm ! Anyway thanks for the heads up, I need nothing for a long time but if I catch something that looks good I will probably just buy it and sell it to my buddies in need for what I paid.

I would say that for people looking for reloading supplies, you can find anything you want right now (other than Trail Boss) . You may have to pay a little more but virtually everything is available within a 2 to 3 week timeframe. Primers are not and they are the foundation of reloading. It really doesn't matter what other components you have, without primers you're SOL.

$47 is not an a problem in my mind and we are not close to peak panic yet. There are a lot of people that shoot all the time and reload all the the time. When they blow through their stockpile of primers the prices are going to double and triple.

Red*Lion
03-09-21, 08:50
Brownells again had some rp in stock this morning up until about 5 minutes ago. I missed out as I was busy. Folks may want to keep an eye on Brownells as they may drop more today or tomorrow morning. I would also monitor Midway as there are over due to get some primers in.

26 Inf
03-10-21, 00:26
$47 is not an a problem in my mind and we are not close to peak panic yet. There are a lot of people that shoot all the time and reload all the the time. When they blow through their stockpile of primers the prices are going to double and triple.

The big problem I see is that prices are elastic upward and sticky downward (I think that was Econ 101). I doubt we will see prices return to 'normal' after this boondoggle.

themonk
03-10-21, 06:11
There was a second half to econ 101 which was supply and demand. They will actually be cheaper when this is all said and done. Just like how ammo was cheaper after the 2013 debacle. When it's cheaper to buy ammo vs reloading, the prices will plummet. That's not going to happen for several years but it's something to look forward to 😁.

MWAG19919
03-10-21, 09:19
There was a second half to econ 101 which was supply and demand. They will actually be cheaper when this is all said and done. Just like how ammo was cheaper after the 2013 debacle. When it's cheaper to buy ammo vs reloading, the prices will plummet. That's not going to happen for several years but it's something to look forward to ��.

I used to hear folks in 2016-2019 claim it was cheaper to buy 9mm than reload it, but I reload 9mm JHP for 11 cents a round and I've never seen it that low.

I know component prices are going up... my bullet supplier said to expect an 8-10% increase, so I'm not looking forward to my next resupply. But I still think it'll be cheaper to reload

signal4l
03-10-21, 10:10
Natchez just had small pistol magnums in stock. I had a few thousand in my cart and started to do the happy dance. Website crashed. Now out of stock

Pappabear
03-10-21, 11:27
The big problem I see is that prices are elastic upward and sticky downward (I think that was Econ 101). I doubt we will see prices return to 'normal' after this boondoggle.

And they are supposed to be inelastic in the short run, but damn those prices shot up fast. And yet I guess it depends on how to view the prices increase the timeline. I did buy 1,000 Wolf Military for $350 and bit my hand doing so just before it got completely out of hand. You know what they say, "ask 10 economists the same question and get 10 different answers". Jesus do I severely digress.

PB

Bimmer
03-14-21, 15:05

Wait and see...

There was a second half to econ 101 which was supply and demand. They will actually be cheaper when this is all said and done. Just like how ammo was cheaper after the 2013 debacle...

Right... Given that people aren't shooting radically more than before (and don't tell me the millions of new gun owners are shooting 500-1,000 rounds/month, every month, like some of us do), there's a lot of stockpiling going on.

Last March I could still buy CCI primers for 2¢ each, from my local Sportman's Whorehouse. I bought 12,000 of them... I'm not buying any more any time soon, unless I see a similar bargain.

DG23
03-14-21, 22:26
Wait and see...

Right... Given that people aren't shooting radically more than before (and don't tell me the millions of new gun owners are shooting 500-1,000 rounds/month, every month, like some of us do), there's a lot of stockpiling going on.

Last March I could still buy CCI primers for 2¢ each, from my local Sportman's Whorehouse. I bought 12,000 of them... I'm not buying any more any time soon, unless I see a similar bargain.

Not saying you did not get yours for that but...

The average cost on those around that time was more like 3.5 cents per at the Sportsmans Whorehouse (and other retailers) here.

Online prices were similar.

Bimmer
03-14-21, 23:51

The average cost on those around that time was more like 3.5 cents per at the Sportsmans Whorehouse (and other retailers) here.

$47/1,000 isn't crazy. I wouldn't pay that, but that's only an extra cent or two per round, which isn't going to break anybody.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't flinch at paying 3.5¢, either...

As is, I've piled up 70,000 or so primers. The Monk is right that they're absolutely essential, and paying HazMat on small quanitities is a non-starter, and they're cheap and compact, so stockpiling is easy...

Red*Lion
03-19-21, 12:46
Midway has been dropping primers on and off today so if you are looking pay attention to them. I got 1,000 CCI BR4 sr primers, 1,000 Winchester #41 sr primers and 1,000 CCI #34 lr primers so far. $94 for the BR4's, $76 for the #34's and $59 for the #41's. Not great prices, but not bad in a market where most vendors are charging $200 for 1,000 and LG Outdoors charging $420 per 1,000.

DG23
03-19-21, 19:41
Midway has been dropping primers on and off today so if you are looking pay attention to them. I got 1,000 CCI BR4 sr primers, 1,000 Winchester #41 sr primers and 1,000 CCI #34 lr primers so far. $94 for the BR4's, $76 for the #34's and $59 for the #41's. Not great prices, but not bad in a market where most vendors are charging $200 for 1,000 and LG Outdoors charging $420 per 1,000.

You paid less than my son did for his first brick of Tula? primers. He gave a hundred bucks for his thousand.

Would personally prefer anything Winchester or CCI over what my son got but...

Have been seeing the CCI 41's go for insane prices on Gunraper. Beyond insane, yet people still seem to be buying them up (lots of bids / completed auctions).

Guessing they had limits of 1k each from looking at what you got? Good that you could still get several K but sucks to not have more of the same type from a single lot number of primers.

Guess one can't be too picky here lately. :(

DG23
03-19-21, 19:56
...and paying HazMat on small quanitities is a non-starter, and they're cheap and compact, so stockpiling is easy...

With the exception of Federals.

Compared to everyone else it is almost like they TRIED to make their boxes as large as possible with the intention of screwing up shelf space.

We seriously ought to consider getting together as a group and bombarding them with emails / letters about how they are polluting the environment and killing baby seals every single day with all of that unnecessary packaging.

Red*Lion
03-20-21, 04:46
You paid less than my son did for his first brick of Tula? primers. He gave a hundred bucks for his thousand.

Would personally prefer anything Winchester or CCI over what my son got but...

Have been seeing the CCI 41's go for insane prices on Gunraper. Beyond insane, yet people still seem to be buying them up (lots of bids / completed auctions).

Guessing they had limits of 1k each from looking at what you got? Good that you could still get several K but sucks to not have more of the same type from a single lot number of primers.

True. Yep it was a limit of 1,000 per type of primer. I am ok with what I got given that I will use to reload 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel.

Bimmer
03-20-21, 12:45

Sorry, but that's nuts...

I don't really care whether I pay 2¢, 3¢, or 4¢ for primers, because that's a difference of only 2¢ round... Not enough to get excited about.

But paying more than 10¢ or more per primer? That's exhorbidant, especially because we all know (or should know) that they'll be back to 4¢ in a year or two...

It's a free market, so knock yourselves out, but by paying those prices (1) you're being ripped off, and (2) you're prolonging this shortage.

Red*Lion
03-20-21, 14:38
Sorry, but that's nuts...

I don't really care whether I pay 2¢, 3¢, or 4¢ for primers, because that's a difference of only 2¢ round... Not enough to get excited about.

But paying more than 10¢ or more per primer? That's exhorbidant, especially because we all know (or should know) that they'll be back to 4¢ in a year or two...

It's a free market, so knock yourselves out, but by paying those prices (1) you're being ripped off, and (2) you're prolonging this shortage.

You really think that primers are going to be back to .04 in a year or two? I think that you are misled, but we will certainly know more over the next few months.

Red*Lion
03-20-21, 14:39
Dupe.

themonk
03-20-21, 17:49
You really think that primers are going to be back to .04 in a year or two? I think that you are misled, but we will certainly know more over the next few months.

No. Its only going to get worse not better. If you think of other panics, there is an event that causes it and we slowly work our way out of it.

We are already close to rock bottom. If there is hard talk about a AWB or a mass shooting, you would have a panic on top of an existing panic. It would take us at least 2 years to dig out of that, plus we just added another 10 million new gun owners.

Bimmer
03-20-21, 18:56
Yeah, I do...

There was the same kind of craziness in '08-09, when BHO was elected, and within a year or two the market crashed, prices went back to normal, and stuff was available. (It was at that point that I bought tens of thousands of CCI #34 and #41 primers.)

The same with the Newtown panic in early '13...

Once a guy has 50K or 100K or 200K primers, he stops buying (or at least, he only buys when they're really dirt cheap).