PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't magazines scarce and expensive like 2008, 2013?

Uni-Vibe
03-09-21, 17:14
Caption says it all.

Guns are going up in price, down in availability, depending on the gun.

Ammo is a dollar a round when you can find it.

But magazines? They're usually the bellwether of firearms panic. Back in 2008 I remember that on Election Night, all the online retailers were sold out.

And at Sandy Hook time, I saw C-prod AR mags change hands for forty bucks plus tax.

But now, in the midst of the greatest panic of them all, you can get ten Pmags for $130, Glock mags for $23, etc.

Why is this?

TomMcC
03-09-21, 17:25
Nobody is buying them or they are buying them, but there are too many in the system.

Averageman
03-09-21, 17:28
Perhaps market saturation?
We were pushing for a better product, we got it, we bought it and for the most part, they were so over engineered and robust, they just aren't wearing out fast enough to kick an up tick in the current market.
That and perhaps the most vulnerable piece of the AR system might be the necessity of a quality magazine?
Anyway, the lack of magazines worried me more than the lack of another AR, so I bought dresser drawers full of magazines, aluminum for my Grandkids and Plastic for me. When the dresser was full I noticed that you can pack a heck of a lot of magazines in the cardboard box a twelve pack of beer comes in.
Okay it became an obsession (not like a Betty Page level of obsession, but close) and I have multi-generational levels of stock.

titsonritz
03-09-21, 17:30
Give it time.

Circle_10
03-09-21, 17:34
As soon as something starts actually moving legislatively I bet it changes. But for now, with no specific federal-level threats to the ability to purchase standard capacity magazines the sheer volume of these things on the market is probably keeping prices low.

Averageman
03-09-21, 17:43
As soon as something starts actually moving legislatively I bet it changes. But for now, with no specific federal-level threats to the ability to purchase standard capacity magazines the sheer volume of these things on the market is probably keeping prices low.

Well, I will be have a Margarita in the pool in Cabo then.

SteyrAUG
03-09-21, 17:58
The market was prepared and most people stocked deep after 2008 and a lot of people stocked deep in anticipation of 2020.

Magazines are also relatively cheaper than ammo.

Pappabear
03-09-21, 18:03
I think a large portion of the hoarders have been through 2/3 panics and bought mags big time and they dont wear out. I have so many mags its stupid, but I did buy 2 KAC SR25 mags last week. So the bulk of the market is GTG on mags, is my guess. And they are easy to Mfg so they picked up when needed.

PB

jsbhike
03-09-21, 18:27
The claims this time are of a total ban or punitive after the fact tax.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-09-21, 19:01
Because the post COVID panic first time gun owners haven't figure out that the 2-3 pistol mags that came with their gun or the 1 PMAG you get with a rifle aren't enough.

Screwball
03-09-21, 19:13
I actually sold guns due to magazines... I got my 9mm PX4 when NJ had a 15 round limit. Moved to ME, and brought up the 15 rounders I stashed in PA. Sold the gun.

It isn’t I didn’t like the gun, but I really didn’t feel like getting 17 rounders. I did that with my SP-01, which had 15 rounders. They got scooped up quick on AR15.com... but it was just a hassle.

I bought a few AR pistols since the entire Biden crap show started... but had a few magazines across the board. I did get some extended Glock 9mm magazines, but being I’m issued one, I really don’t worry too much about it.

Last guns I bought... a Raven .25 and a Luger P08. One was more sentimental value, and the other... I just wanted.

Red*Lion
03-09-21, 19:35
I saw a deal on 10 Pmags for $99 just late last week.

titsonritz
03-09-21, 19:41
I saw a deal on 10 Pmags for $99 just late last week.

Gen 2 or 3?

Red*Lion
03-09-21, 19:44
Gen 2 or 3?

Gen 2.

Spiffums
03-09-21, 19:58
The local Rural King here has tons of AR15 magazines.........half of me is like you've got more mags than you'll ever use and the other half is like BUY THEM ALL!!!

MikhailBarracuda91
03-09-21, 20:09
Nobody is buying them or they are buying them, but there are too many in the system.Hopefully next time the market is overstocked on ammo (not likely)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

duece71
03-09-21, 21:06
I think a large portion of the hoarders have been through 2/3 panics and bought mags big time and they dont wear out. I have so many mags its stupid, but I did buy 2 KAC SR25 mags last week. So the bulk of the market is GTG on mags, is my guess. And they are easy to Mfg so they picked up when needed.

PB

This. The writing was on the wall after SH so I bought a few mags each month, pistol and rifle. I also remember the days of the Clinton era AWB.....never again.

titsonritz
03-09-21, 21:24
Gen 2.

Yeah that's normal, every once in awhile I'd see the Gen 2 at $89.99

Bubba FAL
03-09-21, 21:46
I'd bet the thought process is something along the lines of, "why buy mags if there's no ammo to put in them?"

Uni-Vibe
03-10-21, 00:24
Because the post COVID panic first time gun owners haven't figure out that the 2-3 pistol mags that came with their gun or the 1 PMAG you get with a rifle aren't enough.

All the reasons ya'll offer have some merit, but I bet there are a lot of these first timers. I know a guy who bought a VP9 and an AR before the panic started. He says the 2 that came with the pistol are plenty, and anyway HK VP9 mags are expensive. And he bought 2 pmags to go with the one that came with the AR , so he's all set.

I suggested otherwise and even gave him an Okay 30 with Magpul follower.

People also overlook pistol mags. They'll buy 50 pmags for the AR and only have 2 or 3 hicaps for the pistol.

I have too many AR and hi cap pistol mags.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-10-21, 00:44
Can't get 30 rounders shipped to me in CO, so I gave early birthday gifts to my brothers in free states. Neither has ARs, but they have magazines... if they get into ARs, cool. If mags get banned, sell them or keep them. 30 mags doesn't take up that much space.

Arik
03-10-21, 06:23
All the reasons ya'll offer have some merit, but I bet there are a lot of these first timers. I know a guy who bought a VP9 and an AR before the panic started. He says the 2 that came with the pistol are plenty, and anyway HK VP9 mags are expensive. And he bought 2 pmags to go with the one that came with the AR , so he's all set.

People also overlook pistol mags. They'll buy 50 pmags for the AR and only have 2 or 3 hicaps for the pistol.

I have too many AR and hi cap pistol mags.What's a "hi cap"
Got any assault weapons you'd like to sell back too?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

AndyLate
03-10-21, 06:33

I have too many AR and hi cap pistol mags.

Honestly, that is enough for a casual shooter or a nightstand gun. I had two Ruger MKII .22 pistol and High Power.mags for 20 years and shot them all the time.

New gun owners may not buy extra magazines for their new pistol, but they certainly will buy at least a box of ammo.

When it comes to AR mags, I think the available supply is high enough to absorb the new shooters buying a couple.

Andy

The_War_Wagon
03-10-21, 08:03
After buying, loading, and storing them for 30 years, I'm FINALLY... buying them / storing them for barter, down the road. WHILE they're still cheap.

ChattanoogaPhil
03-10-21, 08:15
Why aren't magazines scarce and expensive like 2008, 2013?

Because folks sent their ammo down range since 2008/2013, but still have the magazines.

Uni-Vibe
03-10-21, 08:24

Because folks sent their ammo down range since 2008/2013, but still have the magazines.

True enough.

But that was also true in 2013. People had shot their ammo and still had their magazines when Sandy Hook happened.

Crow Hunter
03-10-21, 09:52
Caption says it all.

Guns are going up in price, down in availability, depending on the gun.

Ammo is a dollar a round when you can find it.

But magazines? They're usually the bellwether of firearms panic. Back in 2008 I remember that on Election Night, all the online retailers were sold out.

And at Sandy Hook time, I saw C-prod AR mags change hands for forty bucks plus tax.

But now, in the midst of the greatest panic of them all, you can get ten Pmags for $130, Glock mags for $23, etc.

Why is this?

My opinion:

I think the discrepancy is a combination.

1. "Old" gun owners like us, have bought a large number of magazines in the last panics so while we may be buying additional copies of guns, we probably already own the magazines are are just buying additional guns.

2. "New" gun owners don't know what they don't know. They only worry about Covid Zombies, BLM, Antifa, White Supremacists, Trump Nazis, Martians whatever social unrest bad guys are coming after them and they only worry about having a gun, RIGHT NOW. They don't think about a potential ban. A large percentage of them probably think that the guns they bought aren't even "assault weapons" or "Large Capacity Ammo Feeding Device". They think those are Machine Guns and belt feds or giant drums. The 15 rd G19 magazine or the 30 rd PMag they got with their gun are "normal" magazines. Very similar to the local Fudds that I know who think that no one needs a "assault weapon" but talk about their Beretta A400 snow goose setups or Ruger 10/22s with BX25s or their XD9s or Taurus Millennium. Then look at me like I have 3 heads when I mention they are "assault weapons" and will be banned.

That being said, even some of my "old" gun owner friends only have 2-3 magazines for each gun. They don't realize they are a wear item. They tell me I am "stupid" and "wasting money" when I say that I wouldn't own a magazine fed firearm without a minimum of 10 magazine per gun.

OH58D
03-10-21, 10:00
After buying, loading, and storing them for 30 years, I'm FINALLY... buying them / storing them for barter, down the road. WHILE they're still cheap.
We know who run barter town..... The War Wagon run barter town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgq4w4dqKsU

Grand58742
03-10-21, 10:18

You mean they don't wear out like that loon from Colorado thought?

(For reference)

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democratic-rep-ridiculed-for-fumbling-facts-on-gun-magazines

"I will tell you these are ammunition -- bullets -- so the people who have those now they are going to shoot them, and so if you ban -- if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won't be any more available," she said.

okie
03-10-21, 10:31
Absolutely massive supply. No matter how many times Brownell's sells out, they get restocked within days. If and when an AWB gets traction though I bet people start panic buying them.

One thing to consider about the current panic is that it's not driven by people fearful of bans. It's mostly people wanting weapons for self defense. First time buyers and casual gun owners looking to up their arsenal, vs. people stacking deep because they're afraid of bans.

WickedWillis
03-10-21, 10:34
I have been buying them the last four years for all my guns. I wish I would have had a bigger ammo stockpile though. I am surprised they haven't spiked yet, or became harder to find.

Arik
03-10-21, 10:52
Most new gun owners aren't going to be wearing anything out. Their 2-3 mags are good for several lifetimes because the gun they both is for just in case, like the fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Maybe once in a while they'll take it to the range..... maybe.

I always use my family and friends as an example. My dad owns 2 guns. The first he last shot at least 15 years ago but he bought it around 2002. He still has the original box of ammo and he only has one box. A few years ago he bought a second gun, Ruger LCP380, because his first one, HK USP40, was too big to carry. He carries the LCP but has yet to actually shoot it. His logic.....why wouldn't it work? Also only one box of ammo that I can guarantee will never go empty if even used

Both my uncles have handguns. One shot his last maybe 5-6 years ago the other so long ago he didn't remember the caliber. Told me it was a 32 when in fact it was a 38spl!

My friends own guns and some mags and some ammo. Every few years they shoot something.

None of these people need extra mags. To them it would be a literal waste of money.

BWT
03-10-21, 11:06
I own enough AR-15 magazines that my wife tells me I have a problem.

I will be buying enough ammo when I can again that she says the same about that.

God Bless,

Brandon

Uni-Vibe
03-10-21, 18:53
Most new gun owners aren't going to be wearing anything out. Their 2-3 mags are good for several lifetimes because the gun they both is for just in case, like the fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Maybe once in a while they'll take it to the range..... maybe.

I always use my family and friends as an example. My dad owns 2 guns. The first he last shot at least 15 years ago but he bought it around 2002. He still has the original box of ammo and he only has one box. A few years ago he bought a second gun, Ruger LCP380, because his first one, HK USP40, was too big to carry. He carries the LCP but has yet to actually shoot it. His logic.....why wouldn't it work? Also only one box of ammo that I can guarantee will never go empty if even used

Both my uncles have handguns. One shot his last maybe 5-6 years ago the other so long ago he didn't remember the caliber. Told me it was a 32 when in fact it was a 38spl!

My friends own guns and some mags and some ammo. Every few years they shoot something.

None of these people need extra mags. To them it would be a literal waste of money.

We shooters forget this. I know I do. For every one of us who shoots more or less regularly, there must be fifty gun-owners like the gentlemen described above.

Indeed I have a relative who has a carry license and never leaves the house without a gun. But get this: he never fires brand new guns before he puts them into service. And he never shoots them later. They are virgin firearms he's carrying every day. And worse, he never, never, takes them apart even to blow out the pocket lint and oil them. I have grave doubts his carry gun will even work.

Now that I think about it, all these new gun owners, but how many will become regular shooters? Most bought their first gun not as a part of a personal or home-safety plan, but out of dread that the Proud Boys and Antifa would be slugging it out in their front yard.

Arik's right. Why should these people need any more mags than the two that came with the gun?

AndyLate
03-10-21, 19:50
I own enough AR-15 magazines that my wife tells me I have a problem.

I will be buying enough ammo when I can again that she says the same about that.

God Bless,

Brandon

My wife thinks I have a problem based on the AR mags she knows about.

On the flip side, she says we cannot have too much ammunition, so she is a keeper.

Andy

Bubba FAL
03-10-21, 19:55
Only two mags? That's not even 1% of the AR mags in my stash and I'm not done buying yet.

I'm afraid that i may have a problem...

Jellybean
03-10-21, 22:38
People also overlook pistol mags. They'll buy 50 pmags for the AR and only have 2 or 3 hicaps for the pistol...
Cuz those 50 AR mags were what - $450? If they buy a $90 ten-pack twice a year when PSA has a sale or something, it's a low expenditure/high materiel gain sitch.
If they have a handgun that the mags cost $30/ea, that's only 15 mags. 11 mags @ $40 ea. So, to your average owner, who is is a cheapass to rival Scrooge, the pistol mags aren't a "good deal", so they never buy any...

One thing to consider about the current panic is that it's not driven by people fearful of bans. It's mostly people wanting weapons for self defense. First time buyers and casual gun owners looking to up their arsenal, vs. people stacking deep because they're afraid of bans.
This, I think, is what's driving the ammo mania. Most first timers buying guns cuz the "boovidteefa" situation realize they need at LEAST 1 box to fill those 2-3 issue mags that came with their pistola, and at LEAST 1 box if they want to reload afterward. 3 boxes for the 2 Pmags they've got, and so forth...

The opposite scenario with a (soon to be) ban panic, people are looking at the items as a long term investment, not an 'imminent need' item because God forbid we have violence over a mere plastic box, which drives the gun/accessories/MAGS blitz because they are high-yield items that will be worth 2-5X their worth in 1-3 years and will be easy to offload, or at least sure as hell cheaper to ship than heavy-ass ammo...

The people buying ammo during a ban-scare and driving those prices high initially are the SERIOUS shooters that already HAVE all their 'hardware' and go "oh shit, here we go again, I'd better pick up a few extra cases quick before EVERYONE ELSE buys them...which, I think, inadvertently causes the panic, as the laggard newbs go "OHMYGODTHEREISABANINEEDEVERYTHINGNOW", they rush to their local store/favorite online retailer and realize "OGMYGODTHEREAREONLYTWOCASESLEFTTHEPANICHASSTARTEDINEEDTOTELLMYFRIENDSTOBUYNOW!", they snatch the two remaining cases, then the next laggard newb comes in and goes "HOLYSHITBALLSALLTHEAMMOISGONEALREADYTHEENDISUPONUS!" who takes a picture of the 'empty' shelves and posts on on FB/IG for their buddies, who share it around, and next thing you know...lines out door and sky-high prices.
THEN it's the laggards that keep the prices artificially high for years as they run around like headless chickins buying every round they can find no matter the price... meanwhile, the serious guys got their emergency last second purchase done right at the beginning, they were done buying after that in anticipation of this very scenario, and are now sitting back watching the melee going "YOU SEE Honey! This is why that pallet showed up last year..."
Then the process repeats ad nauseum because each group will do the same predictable thing at the first hint of a ban or shortage...

*sigh* It's getting old to watch the same merry-go-round every 2-4 years. I though this was supposed to be America or something, not 'blowingwhicheverwaythewindblows-landia'. It's almost like words on paper don't mean much if enough people decide they don't agree. :rolleyes:

I don't know what these people are thinking though...I have a mild panic attack if I buy a new gun and have to wait to save up to buy more than the 'issued' quantity of mags.
I feel like that's tempting Murphy enough, I don't know why y'all gotta go start a whole thread about it just to poke the bear, sheesh... :rolleyes: :laugh:

SteyrAUG
03-10-21, 23:20
I have been buying them the last four years for all my guns. I wish I would have had a bigger ammo stockpile though. I am surprised they haven't spiked yet, or became harder to find.

If / when we get a perm magazine ban, it will happen. And come that day I will have a lifetime supply. If it never happens, I'll have a lifetime supply.

hotrodder636
03-11-21, 09:47
Like Steyr I have large supplies of magazines for guns I own. I even have piles of mags for guns I don’t own. I should be GTG for my shooting needs between now and when polymer mags degrade.

If / when we get a perm magazine ban, it will happen. And come that day I will have a lifetime supply. If it never happens, I'll have a lifetime supply.

BWT
03-11-21, 10:22
My wife thinks I have a problem based on the AR mags she knows about.

On the flip side, she says we cannot have too much ammunition, so she is a keeper.

Andy

She didn’t say I couldn’t have them.

Just concerned for my welfare as I have accumulated more than a couple of magazines.

God Bless,

Brandon

AndyLate
03-11-21, 10:25
I don't think people realize that magazines wear out. I have 10 (I think) mags for my MKII .22 pistols and just bought new magazine springs because they are fatigued.

Andy

Circle_10
03-11-21, 11:32
So I know the truly correct answer is always going to be “as many as you can get” but more realistically and more practically, how many mags is probably “enough” when you are tying to plan for a future when you might not be able to get more, and figuring for things like loss and wear and tear?
I have a lot of mags myself, but I’m still buying them here and there, particularly Glock and now CZ Scorpion mags.

Pappabear
03-11-21, 14:07

This is so spot on. I married my 2nd wife years back. Show owned a Sig P238, she never carried it, just a bedside gun. How stupid gun shop sellers are to sell this gun to her. But anywho I grabbed the gun and it was loaded and ready to go in her bed stand. I said, do you know where the safety is- NOPE.

This is the 7 million new gun owners.

PB

Slater
03-11-21, 14:48
Just took advantage of DSG's special - ten Gen 2 PMags for $98, plus $7 two-day shipping. Don't really need them, but what the Hell.

AndyLate
03-11-21, 16:34
She didn’t say I couldn’t have them.

Just concerned for my welfare as I have accumulated more than a couple of magazines.

God Bless,

Brandon

The other day my wife asked why I was buying more magazines because I "must have 20 or 30 already". I agreed because I have no idea and I must have that many in one of the boxes.

Andy

SteyrAUG
03-11-21, 19:05
So I know the truly correct answer is always going to be “as many as you can get” but more realistically and more practically, how many mags is probably “enough” when you are tying to plan for a future when you might not be able to get more, and figuring for things like loss and wear and tear?
I have a lot of mags myself, but I’m still buying them here and there, particularly Glock and now CZ Scorpion mags.

Enough for "what?" Are you stocking for a lifetime of recreational shooting? Home defense? Go hills because rogue government actually happened?

I would say for general use, 10 per rifle, replaced every decade. So if you planned on shooting the next 50 years you would need 50 per rifle.

Circle_10
03-11-21, 20:48
Enough for "what?" Are you stocking for a lifetime of recreational shooting? Home defense? Go hills because rogue government actually happened?

I would say for general use, 10 per rifle, replaced every decade. So if you planned on shooting the next 50 years you would need 50 per rifle.

Minimum of 10 per rifle is generally what I subscribe to, and I’ve got that covered easily. 50 per rifle, maybe not so much thanks to the AR-building kick I went on between 2016 and 2019.

okie
03-12-21, 07:23
This is so spot on. I married my 2nd wife years back. Show owned a Sig P238, she never carried it, just a bedside gun. How stupid gun shop sellers are to sell this gun to her. But anywho I grabbed the gun and it was loaded and ready to go in her bed stand. I said, do you know where the safety is- NOPE.

PB

I imagine that 7 million figure is probably very low. Private sales are out of control.

AndyLate
03-12-21, 07:48
I imagine that 7 million figure is probably very low. Private sales are out of control.

Private sales are robust.

VIP3R 237
03-12-21, 07:55
There must be a run going on because I cannot order a single 30rd pmag of any flavor (besides g36, aug, and AK74) from RSR right now which is one of the largest Magpul distributors, they typically have tens of thousands in stock.

AndyLate
03-12-21, 08:05

PB

They (gunstore) sold my SIL an LCP. She could not load the magazines and the only safe place when she shot was where she was aiming. She failed her first CPL test, which includes a mandatory loading and hitting a target. She could neither load the magazine nor hit the target reliably.

I loaned her my S&W Model 67 38 Spl and she was flexing hard breezing through the test and the instructor loved the S&W. She had to shoot the S&W double action, btw. She said she was practically giggling watching the other shooters struggle to load magazines well after she had dumped and reloaded the cylinder on the revolver.

Tragically, I suffered what I hope was temporary dementia and ended up selling the 67 to her because she would accept no substitute and is my wife's favorite sister.

Andy

Arik
03-12-21, 08:10
They (gunstore) sold my SIL an LCP. She could not load the magazines and the only safe place when she shot was where she was aiming. She failed her first CPL test, which includes a mandatory loading and hitting a target. She could neither load the magazine nor hit the target reliably.

I loaned her my S&W Model 67 38 Spl and she was flexing hard breezing through the test and the instructor loved the S&W. She had to shoot the S&W double action, btw. She said she was practically giggling watching the other shooters struggle to load magazines well after she had dumped and reloaded the cylinder on the revolver.

Tragically, I suffered what I hope was temporary dementia and ended up selling the 67 to her because she would accept no substitute and is my wife's favorite sister.

AndySmaller gun are harder to shoot. As for the loading ....how would you know before buying?

okie
03-12-21, 08:14
There must be a run going on because I cannot order a single 30rd pmag of any flavor from RSR right now which is one of the largest Magpul distributors, they typically have tens of thousands in stock.

That's interesting news for those of us who are hoping to retire on our pmags.

Arik
03-12-21, 08:18
There must be a run going on because I cannot order a single 30rd pmag of any flavor from RSR right now which is one of the largest Magpul distributors, they typically have tens of thousands in stock.I don't know who RSR is but I see plenty of gen2 & 3 on other mag sites. Botach has 1732 gen2 listed. Gunmagwarehouse. PSA...

okie
03-12-21, 09:04
I don't know who RSR is but I see plenty of gen2 & 3 on other mag sites. Botach has 1732 gen2 listed. Gunmagwarehouse. PSA...

RSR group is the largest distributor to gun stores in the country. Probably the world. Big guys like Brownell's and Midway get to go to Magpul directly, but your smaller guys like your LGS have to go through RSR.

RSR is Magpul's largest distributor. In my limited experience with them, they typically don't let things go out of stock, so if they don't have it that usually means the manufacturer can't supply it. So the implication is that if they're out of stock for pmags, which is their bread and butter, Magpul is having trouble keeping up with demand.

I know they ramped up capacity because of 2013, and instead of letting machines sit cold they may have just been squirreling them away in a warehouse somewhere waiting for the next panic. That would certainly explain the seemingly endless supply we've been seeing here lately. If true, that supply may have just run out.

okie
03-12-21, 09:04
I don't know who RSR is but I see plenty of gen2 & 3 on other mag sites. Botach has 1732 gen2 listed. Gunmagwarehouse. PSA...

RSR group is the largest distributor to gun stores in the country. Probably the world. Big guys like Brownell's and Midway get to go to Magpul directly, but your smaller guys like your LGS have to go through RSR.

RSR is Magpul's largest distributor. In my limited experience with them, they typically don't let things go out of stock, so if they don't have it that usually means the manufacturer can't supply it. So the implication is that if they're out of stock for pmags, which is their bread and butter, Magpul is having trouble keeping up with demand.

I know they ramped up capacity because of 2013, and instead of letting machines sit cold they may have just been squirreling them away in a warehouse somewhere waiting for the next panic. That would certainly explain the seemingly endless supply we've been seeing here lately. If true, that supply may have just run out.

Arik
03-12-21, 09:14

I know they ramped up capacity because of 2013, and instead of letting machines sit cold they may have just been squirreling them away in a warehouse somewhere waiting for the next panic. That would certainly explain the seemingly endless supply we've been seeing here lately. If true, that supply may have just run out.Oh so it's a dealer only thing.

Esq.
03-12-21, 09:30
Oh so it's a dealer only thing.

Yea, wholesaler. Middle Man, whatever you want to call them. They supply a local pawn shop I deal with, they will let me order on their account directly but "normal" people, can't.

okie
03-12-21, 10:08
Oh so it's a dealer only thing.

Yea you have to have a tax ID to get an account with them. But anyone with a tax ID can get one, so lots of people order from them directly who aren't in the business. Considering most states will give you a sole proprietorship for less than 100 dollars, it can pay for itself depending on how much stuff you order. Of course they can't sell firearms to non FFL dealers, but they have a lot of cool accessories and stuff, including Colt parts. Sometimes the discounts are pretty big.

Adrenaline_6
03-12-21, 11:32
Yea you have to have a tax ID to get an account with them. But anyone with a tax ID can get one, so lots of people order from them directly who aren't in the business. Considering most states will give you a sole proprietorship for less than 100 dollars, it can pay for itself depending on how much stuff you order. Of course they can't sell firearms to non FFL dealers, but they have a lot of cool accessories and stuff, including Colt parts. Sometimes the discounts are pretty big.

Damnit man - I didn't know that helpful tidbit of info. The company I work for will be getting an account shortly.

Arik
03-12-21, 12:45
Damnit man - I didn't know that helpful tidbit of info. The company I work for will be getting an account shortly.I was thinking that too. Does the business have to show or prove anything? I don't want to put my boss in a tight spot because I want some mags

okie
03-12-21, 13:21
I was thinking that too. Does the business have to show or prove anything? I don't want to put my boss in a tight spot because I want some mags

You have to sign a resale agreement, but obviously they're aware that many of their customers are using most of it for themselves. Just find a product that's not being sold in your area and sell it on Armslist. They have a pretty good selection of nice optics for well below retail, Colt uppers, etc.

Pappabear
03-12-21, 15:29

Probably true, how many guys contacted you to buy a gun when things went haywire?

PB

Straight Shooter
03-12-21, 16:07
It is odd. I figure theyll go POOF at the first mention of an "AW" ban. Maybe not. Everything is screwy & upside down nowadays, Honestly cant tell shit from Shinola anymore myself.
ArmsUnlimited had as of yesterday the Magpul D-60 for $99, i couldnt pass it up. $102.95 delivered..thought that was about as good a deal as any out there.

Lowdown3
03-15-21, 09:04
Give it time.

This!!

And if we are to believe the statistics- there are a lot of "new" gun owners coming online in the last year or so. Many of them probably think that one mag that came with the gun and 50 rounds of ammo is enough.

Going to be a lot of pristine looking, unlubricated rifles on the ground if something major does happen.

Adrenaline_6
03-15-21, 09:14
This!!

And if we are to believe the statistics- there are a lot of "new" gun owners coming online in the last year or so. Many of them probably think that one mag that came with the gun and 50 rounds of ammo is enough.

Going to be a lot of pristine looking, unlubricated rifles on the ground if something major does happen.

That's what I always believed. If s does hit the fan, getting guns aren't going to be the problem. There will be plenty to be had.

Uni-Vibe
03-16-21, 21:25
It is odd. I figure theyll go POOF at the first mention of an "AW" ban. Maybe not. Everything is screwy & upside down nowadays, Honestly cant tell shit from Shinola anymore myself.
ArmsUnlimited had as of yesterday the Magpul D-60 for $99, i couldnt pass it up. $102.95 delivered..thought that was about as good a deal as any out there.

That's what I paid for one BEFORE Covid.

But last weekend I saw 9mm FMJ and 5.56 still selling for $1.00 a round, and I saw a S&W AR sell for $1100 plus tax.

Uni-Vibe
03-16-21, 21:26

That's what I paid for one BEFORE Covid.

But last weekend I saw 9mm FMJ and 5.56 still selling for $1.00 a round, and I saw a S&W AR sell for $1100 plus tax.

lowprone
03-16-21, 21:30
Who has best prices on quality 30rd aluminum mags?

Dukr
03-16-21, 22:31
Who has best prices on quality 30rd aluminum mags?I think most all of my Okay/Surefeed mags were ordered from Botach. I've never had a problem ordering from them.

Red*Lion
03-17-21, 08:51
Gen 2 Pmags available for $8.56 a mag once you put in your cart. If you are looking to add mags for use or to sell, here is a pretty good deal.

https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15881

Red*Lion
03-17-21, 08:51
Dupe.

REDinFL
03-20-21, 09:36
I believe it is true there is a massive supply. I also believe the new gun owners haven't stocked up like more experienced (as in been through a couple of ban scares). My usual "barometer" is CTD. If something is $12.95 one day, and $39.95 the next, then I know.

I think the reason for the apparent "calm" is that the media isn't hollering about any "assault weapon" legislation and bans. Why not, usually they are crowing about "progress" and "saaafety?" Probably because the left dictatorship is planning on sneaking the legislation through.

REDinFL
03-20-21, 09:36
accidental double tap

AKDoug
03-21-21, 03:48
Mags are cheap because god hates me. I bought a BUNCH in 2015.. I was convinced Trump was going to lose. Oop's.. those piles of aluminum Brownell's mags and PMags are worth today exactly what I paid for them in 2015. Shit, my BCG's didn't even generate me a profit yet.

pag23
03-21-21, 05:03
AR mags are cheap...I took advantage of Lanbos pricing and my LGSs more then a few times in the last six months... Pistol mags are pricey especially Sig series. Glock prices aren't bad and HK can be found under $38 if you look around.

JoshNC
03-21-21, 12:27
Right now we are in the calm before the storm. There will be another panic that affects mags and semiauto firearms (more so than what we are currently seeing). And then the people who are right now watching on the sidelines putting off buying will start complaining about how some people are profiting from the panic. Buy what you want now or prepare for future regret.

FlyAndFight
03-21-21, 14:57
Gen 2 Pmags available for $8.56 a mag once you put in your cart. If you are looking to add mags for use or to sell, here is a pretty good deal.

https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15881

Thanks for the heads-up. I've got a ton of them already but decided to pick up a few more... :cool:

Core781
03-21-21, 17:41
Supply Demand. Ammo ran out of supply due to demand. Production ramps up and middle men spike retail value due to demand being extremely high and outpacing production. Magazines need ammo. So high supply combined with less demand and the possibility of more unconstitutional magazine bans on the horizon. Do not comply with unconstitutional laws, rules, and regulations. The very foundation of our nation and freedoms guarantee these freedoms. Tyrants are circling the US Constitution and the only way they succeed at subjugating citizens is IF we let them by falling in rank and file. If you're a Old or New Testament type, it says obey the law of the land. Supreme Law is outlined in Article VI and clearly states laws must comply with the Articles within the constitution, and also be reasonable. The Bill of Rights not only guarantees citizens rights but also exempts government from regulating these guaranteed freedoms. So the way I see it, the Democrats need to change the US Constitution to get away with their fantasy of controlling law abiding people by disarming them. Everyone knows criminals break laws. Punishing the law abiding is immoral, unethical, unconstitutional, and taking away magazines and guns is preventing citizen's from defending their life and limb which is a divine right given by God to all creatures great and small and violates Western Law. Such laws go against the courts foundations and if enforced would exempt our society from the enlightenment that has guided thousands of years of democratic civilizations stemming from the works of the Great Scholars. Any judge who enforces unconstitutional laws should be disbarred.

tehpwnag3
03-24-21, 16:29
Brownells is out of Gen 2 and 3 pmags as of today. I haven't seen M2's out in years. Hopefully, inventory replenishment is underway. That Lanbo link is out of stock, too.

The_War_Wagon
03-24-21, 21:46
Thanks to Homey T. mohammedan :mad: , this (cheap mags) is probably changing as we type.

Bubba FAL
03-24-21, 21:57
Just picked up some more Gen3 MCT PMAGs tonight. $14.99 ea, limit 10.

Really wish they'd do another run of sand color, still got lots of RIT dye to use.

okie
03-24-21, 23:04
Brownells is out of Gen 2 and 3 pmags as of today. I haven't seen M2's out in years. Hopefully, inventory replenishment is underway. That Lanbo link is out of stock, too.

Anyone know why they still make the 2? Is it just that they had so much stock and molds they're still cranking them out until the molds wear out, or are they going to make them fore the foreseeable future? Also never understood why they charge more the for 3s.

titsonritz
03-25-21, 02:40

Big Tex has 200 in stock as of this post.

titsonritz
03-25-21, 02:42
But I did say...

Give it time.

...regarding the OP. I guess here we are.

The_War_Wagon
03-25-21, 08:20
Anyone know why they still make the 2?

Beats me, but they've been available at my LGS's by the hundreds of late, at $10.99/ea. I've bought several dozen more, because... it's about the ONLY thing they have in stock!

The_War_Wagon
03-25-21, 08:20
Anyone know why they still make the 2?

Beats me, but they've been available at my LGS's by the hundreds of late, at $10.99/ea. I've bought several dozen more, because... it's about the ONLY thing they have in stock!

Bubba FAL
03-25-21, 12:39
I'd guess that it's because the Gen2's work just fine for most people. Some folks prefer the 2s.

Leaveammoforme
03-25-21, 13:00
Anyone know why they still make the 2? Is it just that they had so much stock and molds they're still cranking them out until the molds wear out, or are they going to make them fore the foreseeable future? Also never understood why they charge more the for 3s.

Gen 2 will drop free in lowers with tight'ish magwells. Also, the over travel stop on the Gen 3 tends to get hung up on the shock cord when stowing in a hurry with nylon gear. Creates unnecessary fumbling.

Gen 2 for me.

tehpwnag3
03-27-21, 09:33
The fellas are on the money. For me, they are a little less money and they work great. Never had a problem. I really do like the M3 design and scooped up a 10-pack with windows. Really an indulgent purchase on my part since I have so many but if the Dems are able to push stuff through, then it's money in the bank.

Speaking to the original post, I do think at some point there is going to be a ban on high-caps and we'll see shortages and incredible prices until folks, like us, allow them in the wild. Let's hope not, but shits getting so weird. Lot's more things to distract the vigilant mind than in 2008. So, it must be abundant supply rather than political climate for why prices are not a high as they probably should be.

tehpwnag3
03-27-21, 09:33
The fellas are on the money. For me, they are a little less money and they work great. Never had a problem. I really do like the M3 design and scooped up a 10-pack with windows. Really an indulgent purchase on my part since I have so many but if the Dems are able to push stuff through, then it's money in the bank.

Speaking to the original post, I do think at some point there is going to be a ban on high-caps and we'll see shortages and incredible prices until folks, like us, allow them in the wild. Let's hope not, but shits getting so weird. Lot's more things to distract the vigilant mind than in 2008. So, it must be abundant supply rather than political climate for why prices are not a high as they probably should be.

REDinFL
03-28-21, 09:17
For whatever reason, it'll be a while. I just checked CTD, and they haven't jacked up the magazines to triple, yet.

As I said earlier, i think it's because the media hasn't been hollering about it. They're keeping it "benign" to surprise the unwary.

okie
03-28-21, 10:06
Basically all the pmags are out of stock on Brownells and have been for about a week now. One word from Uncle Joe and things could go sideways in a hurry.