PDA

View Full Version : Just when you think public schhols need to open again...

Averageman
03-11-21, 20:55
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/chicago-teacher-found-guilty-of-pouring-liquid-nitrogen-on-student-during-science-experiment/ar-BB1euEp0?ocid=msedgdhp

A Chicago teacher has been convicted of a 2018 science experiment that left a student with burns to his groin and finger.

Garry Broderson, a 66-year-old former Bartlett High School chemistry teacher, was performing a demonstration for his class on May 15, 2018 during which he poured liquid nitrogen on a student’s chest and groin area.

The student, who had volunteered to participate but did not understand the risks involved, sustained burns, according to the state’s attorney’s office.

I think we've dumbed down enough now...

TomMcC
03-11-21, 21:01
Liquid nitrogen, really safe stuff to be handling isn't it. The poor kid probably didn't really understand what he was getting into.

Averageman
03-11-21, 21:04
Liquid nitrogen, really safe stuff to be handling isn't it. The poor kid probably didn't really understand what he was getting into.

I dunno, but honestly I think I knew by 10 what liquid Nitrogen is. I once stuck my head in to an industrial sized cooler full of dry ice and was so shocked I whacked my head on the inside roof of the van.

SteyrAUG
03-11-21, 21:09
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/chicago-teacher-found-guilty-of-pouring-liquid-nitrogen-on-student-during-science-experiment/ar-BB1euEp0?ocid=msedgdhp

A Chicago teacher has been convicted of a 2018 science experiment that left a student with burns to his groin and finger.

Garry Broderson, a 66-year-old former Bartlett High School chemistry teacher, was performing a demonstration for his class on May 15, 2018 during which he poured liquid nitrogen on a student’s chest and groin area.

The student, who had volunteered to participate but did not understand the risks involved, sustained burns, according to the state’s attorney’s office.

I think we've dumbed down enough now...

That teacher should be fired, arrested and sued. If that isn't criminal negligence I don't know what is. I wouldn't bring gasoline into a school and it's a lot safer to screw around with than liquid nitrogen.

JediGuy
03-11-21, 21:21
Somewhat irrelevant, but Bartlett is not Chicago, nor is it a near suburb.

Firefly
03-11-21, 21:25
It’s in Illinois so it’s not like real people were involved (jk....kinda).

And I dare say if it weren’t for Terminator 2, my generation probably wouldn’t have known what Liquid Nitrogen was either

NWPilgrim
03-11-21, 21:28
We worked with far more dangerous stuff in HS Chemistry class. But then our teacher wasn’t a reckless idiot. He made a point of familiarizing us with the dangers of various chemicals, reactions, and the proper safe handling procedures. Just like guns: teach safe handling rather than just run away, guns are bad!

SteyrAUG
03-12-21, 00:03
It’s in Illinois so it’s not like real people were involved (jk....kinda).

And I dare say if it weren’t for Terminator 2, my generation probably wouldn’t have known what Liquid Nitrogen was either

I knew because my high school chemistry teacher showed us some cool things with it. He also demonstrated potassium and what happens if you drop a small amount in water. But he didn't call for a volunteer to involve students in these demonstrations or in any way endangered us.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-12-21, 00:59
We worked with far more dangerous stuff in HS Chemistry class. But then our teacher wasn’t a reckless idiot. He made a point of familiarizing us with the dangers of various chemicals, reactions, and the proper safe handling procedures. Just like guns: teach safe handling rather than just run away, guns are bad!

Sophomore high school chemistry teacher would hook a hose up to the natural gas tap and on the other end a funnel. Take a baking pan with some water and dish soap in it and turn on the gas for dipping the funnel face in the soap solution. It would start to make a bubble and then he would flick it so it would make a methane bubble floating in the classroom which I was then to light with a candle on the end of a yardstick. The bubble would ignite in flames would rise up and run along the ceiling which was made out of ceiling tiles. Good fun. Have no clue what the lesson was.

Dude it was awesome. Told the story about how he was going to pick up his high school homecoming date and ended up hitting a cat in the street. It ended up being the girls cat. All of the pictures from that homecoming where of her crying. He had a dog on a short leash that for some reason jumped into a 55 gallon barrel and end up hanging itself.

I ended up getting a degree in chemistry. He ended up not teaching kids, and working for the government in some regulatory agency.

Honu
03-13-21, 13:07
our teacher had a baby food jar full of mercury we used to play with :) fun stuff

then something happened when someone got the idea to do something ( not sure what) but it vaporized it into the classroom and hazmat had to show up and was quite the mess everyone was mad as all clothes and such were destroyed they were wearing many were mad their fav jacket was destroyed etc..... :) hahhahahah

NWPilgrim
03-13-21, 14:05
Sophomore high school chemistry teacher would hook a hose up to the natural gas tap and on the other end a funnel. Take a baking pan with some water and dish soap in it and turn on the gas for dipping the funnel face in the soap solution. It would start to make a bubble and then he would flick it so it would make a methane bubble floating in the classroom which I was then to light with a candle on the end of a yardstick. The bubble would ignite in flames would rise up and run along the ceiling which was made out of ceiling tiles. Good fun. Have no clue what the lesson was.

Dude it was awesome. Told the story about how he was going to pick up his high school homecoming date and ended up hitting a cat in the street. It ended up being the girls cat. All of the pictures from that homecoming where of her crying. He had a dog on a short leash that for some reason jumped into a 55 gallon barrel and end up hanging itself.

I ended up getting a degree in chemistry. He ended up not teaching kids, and working for the government in some regulatory agency.

Funny the way things work out! There are so many cool subjects whose import passes over the heads of most kids because the What is taught with little or none of the Why. At least dramatic demonstrations like that capture the imagination.

My take away from chem class was you can work with dangerous stuff safely if you do it properly and pay attention. That was a good lesson for many areas of life.

NWPilgrim
03-13-21, 14:15
our teacher had a baby food jar full of mercury we used to play with :) fun stuff

then something happened when someone got the idea to do something ( not sure what) but it vaporized it into the classroom and hazmat had to show up and was quite the mess everyone was mad as all clothes and such were destroyed they were wearing many were mad their fav jacket was destroyed etc..... :) hahhahahah

Our annual Chemistry evacuation was an experiment that in spite of graphic and strongly worded warnings ALWAYS resulted in at least one person out of ten classes doing exactly what we were told not to do. We used sulfuric acid and carbon tetrachloride for cleaning glassware. Can’t recall the specific reaction involved. But we were warned NOT to drop the hot test tube we were cleaning into the beaker of disposed chemicals at the end of lab. Of course when the inevitable happened either sulfur dioxide or chlorine gas was released and the alarm would be sounded and the entire wing was evacuated. Too bad they didn’t time that lab to coincide with coverage of WWI in History class!

Todd.K
03-13-21, 14:36
Public schools are pumping out little commies and you all are worried about a dumb chem teacher?

jsbhike
03-16-21, 20:11
Public schools are pumping out little commies and you all are worried about a dumb chem teacher?

And on that note:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/loudoun-teachers-target-parents-critical-race-theory-hacking?

SteyrAUG
03-16-21, 22:00

The time to be concerned was 50+ years ago when universities were pumping out commie teachers.

It's uncanny how fast the US / UK and the rest of the west were invaded by actual, factual commies at the end of the war. Hell before the war even ended Fuchs gave Stalin the bomb.

Without a doubt we needed to fight Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, and Italy, Bulgaria, Vichy France, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Thailand and I suppose Finland (although they technically got screwed) but we dramatically underestimated the threat of communism.

I think only Patton and Churchill fully appreciated the threat.

jsbhike
03-16-21, 22:14
The time to be concerned was 50+ years ago when universities were pumping out commie teachers.

It's uncanny how fast the US / UK and the rest of the west were invaded by actual, factual commies at the end of the war. Hell before the war even ended Fuchs gave Stalin the bomb.

Without a doubt we needed to fight Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, and Italy, Bulgaria, Vichy France, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Thailand and I suppose Finland (although they technically got screwed) but we dramatically underestimated the threat of communism.

I think only Patton and Churchill fully appreciated the threat.

It goes back to the 1850's at least. In addition to however many US born people who had communist beliefs prior to Marx making the news, plenty of European Marxists(some being acquaintances of Karl Marx) ended up escaping Europe to the US and tended to gravitate to Union Army in the 1860's(several became officers), the GOP, and elected/appointed positions in the federal government.

The wife of one of them started the first US kindergarten.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarethe_Schurz