PDA

View Full Version : Is deleting threads the SOP instead of closing them here?

oregonshooter
12-06-08, 14:50
I was resonding to one and it was deleted by The_Katar (I assume) since he was the OP and Mod and it was deleted.

Most forums close them so people can see what is not considered acceptable on the forum, just want to know if that is the SOP here.

Thanks.

PS. to The_Katar, here is the response I was writing you at the time...

The_Katar,

We wil agree to disagree on the AK mag then.

You probably read my post on the XS thread where I stated my level of competency in IDPA and IPSC to give an indication of my skill level which was required for my argument that BigDots are not just for non-shooters.

It sounds like you took that as bragging which it was not.

For the record I did not ever "tell you how good of a shooter I think I am." I gave you tangible evidence of how good of a shooter I am.

PS. If you use it, then it's YOUR methodology.

Dave L.
12-06-08, 15:27
I was resonding to one and it was deleted by The_Katar (I assume) since he was the OP and Mod and it was deleted.

Most forums close them so people can see what is not considered acceptable on the forum, just want to know if that is the SOP here.

Thanks.

PS. to The_Katar, here is the response I was writing you at the time...

I'm sure they deleted it because it had no educational value from their point of view.
Do you really want to go down this road?

M4tographer
12-06-08, 18:49
I'm sure they deleted it because it had no educational value from their point of view.
Do you really want to go down this road?

But he's new so I'm sure he's got some great ideas! :eek:

oregonshooter
12-06-08, 18:51
I don't want to go down any road. I just would like the question answered so I know what to expect.

I think a few people made the point that the thread was in poor taste and un-productive to start.

Since it was opened by a mod and allowed to go on the natural conclusion was that it was "approved" by management.

For some reason the thread was later closed. But when you delete the whole thread there is no way for anyone to know why and to learn what is not acceptable on this forum.

I think that it would be better to lock it and state the reason why we don't want that kind of thread started than to delete it.

Future threads like it will pop up unless people are aware that it's not tolerated.

THE QUESTION IS:
Is it SOP to delete a thread that goes downhill or is it SOP to lock it and state why?

Is this case an exception because it was started by a mod?

oregonshooter
12-06-08, 18:54
M4tographer ,

Help the newb out. Say what you are thinking please, I read sarcasim into your post, but don't understand your point. Thanks for any further explanation.

John_Wayne777
12-06-08, 19:37
I don't want to go down any road. I just would like the question answered so I know what to expect.

The moderators and staffers on M4C are in those positions because they either bring valuable experience to the table or because they have demonstrated judgment and good sense in discussing issues important to the core mission of the site. Usually it's a combination of the two.

I've had the opportunity to meet most of the moderators and staffers on this forum. Their conduct in person and on the forum leaves me with precisely zero questions as to their judgment or behavior.

Sometimes a discussion can be started with the best of intentions but can quickly be derailed into something that becomes problematic. Sometimes certain things can pass between good friends without raising so much as an eyebrow that would cause a third party to choke on their chicken because they don't know where it is coming from.

What you can expect is that if the moderators or staffers think that a thread is going sideways they will deal with it in the manner they see fit. Often they are privy to information that some of the posters in the thread may not be aware of. Often the perception of thread participants is 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Often it's more beneficial for a thread to disappear entirely than to let something sit and fester or allow it to be used as a bludgeon against somebody who volunteers their time to help keep order on the site and who makes valuable contributions to it on a regular basis.

I'm not a moderator or member of staff here, so my statements do not represent the opinion of the management.

FWIW I think this thread will most likely join the other one in oblivion before long, and for good reason.

LOKNLOD
12-06-08, 19:40
I'm not a mod, admin, site staff or otherwised sanctioned M4C guy, but...

What I've seen here is that when a thread goes south, the protocol seems to be to lock the thread, move it to a mods only "trash" forum where it can be discussed, and (I think) warn the offending parties via PM so they know why they got the thread canned. It's possible that the thread might be revived after review and/or cleanup.

For whatever it's worth, it would have been better to take this up with a mod privately vs. starting a new post about it. I haven't dealt with all of them but I think most of the mods are pretty helpful and would have explained why the previous thread was killed.

KevinB
12-06-08, 19:50
No it is not SOP.

Threads are removed for view for discussion of mods, and staff. If in our opinion something is contrary to the code of conduct, it will be edited, or completly removed if that is what we think is the best course of action.

warpigM-4
12-06-08, 19:55
the Mods and staff here are top notch ,I had a post deleted before.not a big deal .the more you are here you see it is one of the best sites around.some threads that go south are best "dust in the wind".The SOP is good informative threads .I am sure you were not out of line to bad or they would have PM'ed you and talk to you in private .I am glad you have a desire to learn about the do's and don't's of this forum.But don't take it personally.:)I would believe it also saves on the bandwidth .no reason to have a million locked threads like some of the other sites.So don't worry about it ,just keep on posting and learning.Peace Jason

oregonshooter
12-06-08, 20:06
KevinB,
Thankyou.

For whatever it's worth, it would have been better to take this up with a mod privately vs. starting a new post about it. I haven't dealt with all of them but I think most of the mods are pretty helpful and would have explained why the previous thread was killed.

I disagree. Since there is nothing in the Conduct Code or FAQ about the topic I felt it better to have a post and answer that future newbs can search for.

The intent of the question is purly informative and Kevin answered it simply. Other responses addressed the issue of professionalism and integrity of the mods. I have no opinion of either concerning the mods here and did not look at this "deletion" as an indicator of such, just wanted to know if that was SOP. Seemed like a non-threating question worth asking to me.

I'd suggest adding Kevins response into the RULES actually. Would save a lot of questions. Unless I'm the first to ever ask, which I doubt.

Question answered, thanks again.

SHIVAN
12-06-08, 20:37
Question answered, as indicated.