PDA

View Full Version : Hot Times on the Border! 4 With Names Matching Terrorist Watchlist Nabbed Since OCT!

Esq.
03-16-21, 14:45
https://www.yahoo.com/news/four-people-matching-terror-watchlist-185510827.html

Mohammed is a common name I suppose.....

Screwball
03-16-21, 17:09
Yep... there is a s*** ton of Mohammeds.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-16-21, 18:40
Yep... there is a s*** ton of Mohammeds.

To be fair, there are fewer than there used to be....

The_War_Wagon
03-16-21, 20:51
They were IMMEDIATELY released, right? We wouldn't want to hurt their feelings, after all. :rolleyes:

Screwball
03-16-21, 22:38
They were IMMEDIATELY released, right? We wouldn't want to hurt their feelings, after all. :rolleyes:

I work for the same agency, just on the northern border.

While I get your post, do understand that a lot of these watchlist “matches” are not really matches. If someone has a common name, I’m sure you’ve had a random person send a friend request on Facebook (or insert whatever social thing you use), thinking you were someone else. If you have a real common name, it may happen A LOT.

Similar situation, and I say that without going too far down the rabbit hole. Let’s say an agency is looking for Mohammed Y, a bonafide terrorist. Now, being his is a terrorist... maybe we just have his name. Now, Mohammed X Y comes back to the US, after making a delivery in Canada. US citizen, legitimate truck driver, and in this scenario... furthest he could possibly be from a terrorist. Technically... that IS a match. Needs to be looked at, but once X Y is found to not be said terrorist, yes... he should be immediately released (I tend to thank them for their patients, especially if they are a US citizen). Even though we still are portrayed as an agency that puts kids in cages... I don’t know too many officers that want to hassle legitimate travelers anymore than necessary.

In those circumstances, I don’t really know of a traveler that got pissed over it. When it comes down to it... most accept to be questioned and held up for a little bit, as the alternative is... set up for another 9/11.

But to go back to my original statement... there is a s*** ton of Mohammeds. No sarcasm, just real world experience.