PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce nx8 c599 capped turret version Mile high has a few.

Twilk73
03-18-21, 22:42
Heads up Mile high has a few of the fully capped nx8's in stock I just ordered one. Perfect timing to I was about to have my buddy try to get me one.

Not sure I'm allowed to post this here. Take it down if not. I'm not affiliated with them it's just really hard to get the preferred version of this good optic.

RKB Armory
03-20-21, 09:02
Does anyone know why Nightforce chose to make any version other than capped turret? Capped turrets seems much more popular than uncapped, on a LPVO.

RHINOWSO
03-20-21, 10:36
Does anyone know why Nightforce chose to make any version other than capped turret? Capped turrets seems much more popular than uncapped, on a LPVO.

I don't quite understand it either, but there always seems to be a contingent of YT'ers / Tactical Tommies that want 'uncapped' so they can 'make rapid adjustments at the range'... :confused: Which makes zero fooking sense to me with a 1-4/6/8/10x LPVO, IMO the reticle is how you make adjustments for all but zeroing the optic.

But some fashionestas wax poetic about 1000 yard shots with their 1-X optics, which I'm sure is possible but not really the design purpose of said optic.

I'll add that I have both NX8 options (MOA Capped and Uncapped elevation) - they work fine but if I had my wish they'd both be capped.

davidjinks
03-23-21, 18:41
My honest opinion is; they know their market.

People want what they want. Some want capped, some don’t. I think they know how to market and do so effectively.

I own both, capped and uncapped NX8 1-8 as well as a couple other NF models. It doesn’t really matter to me at all for either style, I like them all.

ST911
03-23-21, 19:37
Broaden the view of the "LPVOs". 1-8/1-10 compact optics are less LP and more VO, and shouldn't be lumped in with 1-4/1-6 variants. We should probably find a better label. Capped or uncapped is about application. I'm sure there are those with less realistic or thoughtful uses than the armed professional or serious enthusiast running it on an SPR-type.

Reticle use for drops is fine, if the reticle is sufficient in visibility and regulation for the hit needed. Sometimes that works, sometimes it's better to be able to speed-dial your up.

And yes, you can hit BC and E silhouettes at 1000 (and beyond) with the 1-8 NX8, and the Razor, and the ATACR, and the...

Snyyder
05-19-21, 11:19
Heads up Mile high has a few of the fully capped nx8's in stock I just ordered one. Perfect timing to I was about to have my buddy try to get me one.

Not sure I'm allowed to post this here. Take it down if not. I'm not affiliated with them it's just really hard to get the preferred version of this good optic.

Anyone know how to get ahold of one of these capped MRAD (C599) version as non LE/MIL?

Twilk73
05-27-21, 23:55
Anyone know how to get ahold of one of these capped MRAD (C599) version as non LE/MIL?

No, that's why I posted this. There rarely in stock and Mike high had a few. If call them and see if they can special order one. Otherwise you need to call nighttime and try to get them to sell you one.

PatrioticDisorder
10-25-21, 12:30
I'll add that I have both NX8 options (MOA Capped and Uncapped elevation) - they work fine but if I had my wish they'd both be capped.

Is the capped elevation turret on your NX8 more low profile like the ATACR or is it the same height as the uncapped?

RHINOWSO
10-25-21, 14:06
Is the capped elevation turret on your NX8 more low profile like the ATACR or is it the same height as the uncapped?

It is a bit more low profile than the uncapped, but not as drastic as the ATACR low profile.

When comparing them, the capped elevation turret ends right where the upper knurling is on the uncapped.

Rough drawing, but it gives you an idea of the difference.

https://i.ibb.co/74g1KQD/Screen-Shot-2021-10-25-at-2-05-17-PM.png

PatrioticDisorder
10-25-21, 17:12
It is a bit more low profile than the uncapped, but not as drastic as the ATACR low profile.

When comparing them, the capped elevation turret ends right where the upper knurling is on the uncapped.

Rough drawing, but it gives you an idea of the difference.

https://i.ibb.co/74g1KQD/Screen-Shot-2021-10-25-at-2-05-17-PM.png

That helps a lot, thank you.

RHINOWSO
10-25-21, 17:27
That helps a lot, thank you.

No problem. I have Reptilia mounts w/ RMRs behind each type of NX8 - the capped turret offers better clearance but the RMR dot still clears the exposed turret, but barely. With both eyes open it's a non-issue, but I might get a 2.5mm riser to give it a tad more height to clear.

Pappabear
10-25-21, 18:13
I too like both models. And for me I can be more precise with dialing up vs holding over. Hold over is quick and very useful, but you can do that with uncapped as well. I think they should make all versions cap-able. If you want to cap, then cap, if you dont then dont. But nightforce are no dummies so.....

PB

PatrioticDisorder
10-26-21, 07:19
No problem. I have Reptilia mounts w/ RMRs behind each type of NX8 - the capped turret offers better clearance but the RMR dot still clears the exposed turret, but barely. With both eyes open it's a non-issue, but I might get a 2.5mm riser to give it a tad more height to clear.

Even more helpful, thank you again. This is exactly the reason I was asking about capped turret height. I wasn’t sure if the piggybacK RMR would clear on the Reptilia mount.

RHINOWSO
10-26-21, 07:56
No problem; I shot that configuration this past weekend after installing the Reptilia / RMR on the uncapped NX8.

I zero at 100 yard (sync to the NX8 visually to start, then tighten up) - I didn't do a ton of shooting (50rds) but shot at 15, 25, and 100 yards. For close up shots (15/25) your eye and body rapidly get used to stopping at the RMR dot instead of 'scrunching' behind the NX8 for it's dot. The holdovers are something to figure out at those ranges but obtaining / keeping the RMR dot isn't an issue.

Also usable for passive NVDs. I really like the piggyback RMR setups w/ Reptilia ROF90s.

I tried a scope mounted 45deg mount (not Reptilia) and it was not intuitive to find. I think if you want 45, you mount to the rail to roll the rifle or stick with straight up 90 on top of the scope; the 45 from the scope was always a hunt to find the dot and not fast.