PDA

View Full Version : Do PMCs wear any identification?

Buncheong
03-19-21, 11:29
My understanding is that they’re proscribed from wearing camo or any uniforms that would identify them as military personnel. Please correct me if I’m in error.

I can’t recall ever seeing any colors, patches, and/or logos or visible, outward means of identifying PMCs as PMCs.

Anyone know?

pag23
03-19-21, 12:02
5.11 gear, minimal plate carrier, thick mustache and or beard, sunglasses, baseball cap...tattoos

Lol..

utahjeepr
03-19-21, 15:37
There isn't an easy answer to that. Contractors to the US Govt? Paid for with US funds but contracted by locals? NGOs?

It a big field running from high dollar consultants and trainers, to real life pointy types, to your local 3rd world "mall cop".

Generally though, uniforms (BDUs, etc.) can get you in some deep shit in terms of being deemed an unlawful combatant and so on. Also can draw unwanted attention to yourself and your charges/employers.

Honu
03-19-21, 15:55
My buddy who teaches at Huachuca wears a lot of what is the best pro deals or discounts example keens and Oakley
Think he is the go way under radar not look like the so called contractor dude though :)

pag23
03-19-21, 17:33
My buddy who teaches at Huachuca wears a lot of what is the best pro deals or discounts example keens and Oakley
Think he is the go way under radar not look like the so called contractor dude though :)

Salomon footwear is en vogue now...

chuckman
03-19-21, 18:23
I worked some for a small contractor: not Blackwater or that size. When we weren't doing PSD work in suits, 5.11 or other khakis, button shirts, sometimes hoodies or sweatshirts, whatever footwear we wanted, ball caps.

Averageman
03-19-21, 20:46
Most guys go in to contracting after a Military Career, that doesn't mean 20, but I would say about half of them were retired.
I would say the likely best way to make yourself a target is to have grey hair, wear a military uniform and appear to be acting like you're in charge. You look like the biggest Silverback Gorilla on the mountain well,...
I did a stint as a Contractor, but it was as a Maintenance Tech for specialized equipment. If we had to go recover something or fix something in the field it was sketchy. I figured from the time you locate the vehicle you're on "Pizza Time"; 30 minutes or less or you need to call for more support. The initial Sit-Rep was usually
being given by someone who just had a life changing experience, so you had to over prepare rather than go out light.
Never had a close call outside the gate, damn near got hit by a mortar just outside my CHU trying to find the latrine.
Most of the time I rocked some cargo shorts, T-Shirt (they love the Grateful Dead T-shirts) fake Air Jordan's, a ball cap and some of the most ridiculous sunglasses ever to appear on Earth.
I would rather appear like a Hallucination than someone in charge.

CRAMBONE
03-19-21, 21:06
Depends on the contract and Gov agency they are contracted with.

A lot of the DOD and DOS static gigs are uniform gigs. One thing I know is the most tactically dressed contractors are usually the guys that fix the toilets and other non-gun toting jobs. Gun bunnies (me included) usually try to play down the tactical crap and sometimes even wear local garb.

chuckman
03-20-21, 10:10
Depends on the contract and Gov agency they are contracted with.

A lot of the DOD and DOS static gigs are uniform gigs. One thing I know is the most tactically dressed contractors are usually the guys that fix the toilets and other non-gun toting jobs. Gun bunnies (me included) usually try to play down the tactical crap and sometimes even wear local garb.

The one time I wore local/native garb I was accused--like seriously--of working for CIA or DIA. Blonde/green-eyed, I can't blend in some places.

soulezoo
03-20-21, 11:33
Salomon footwear is en vogue now...
Well damn. Been wearing Salomon for years because nothing else fits as well.
All good things must end I suppose.

Averageman
03-20-21, 11:35
I think as far as ID, I had a set of orders.
I had one of those old school green notebooks, peeled away a cover page and inserted a photocopy of my passport and my orders were on the other side, then sealed it back up.
Usually travelled on a copy of my orders, never was a big deal.

Buncheong
03-21-21, 18:50
Thanks for the informative replies, Gentlemen. I appreciate the inside info and the benefit of your experiences in this field.

I wish I had lived as adventurous a life as many of you, have, truly.

#respect

SteyrAUG
03-23-21, 19:29
Blue berets. All the legit ones I know always wear blue berets.