PDA

View Full Version : Help selecting a trigger for new type of shooting

Bluto
03-19-21, 14:39
So my primary and backup rifles are both similar 5.56 SBR’s and both have Geissele SSA triggers, which I like very much.

I am finally getting into more precision shooting and just picked up a PWS MK216 in .308. This will be my first AR-10 and first precision-type rifle whatsoever.

It obviously works very similarly but it’s role will be very different.

That being said, the factory trigger isn’t really that great and I would like to replace it, preferably with a Geissele.

Half of me believes that because I am so familiar with the SSA I will have better trigger control and therefore better groupings with an SSA and the other half believes something like the SSA-E will result in better groups as well. In any case, I am certain do not want an adjustable trigger.

So my question to you all is if you have a similar weapon with different roles are you more inclined to keep the same trigger so that your muscle memory functions the same or would you get something lighter better suited to the role?

TomMcC
03-19-21, 14:48
The SSA-E is just a lighter SSA. The feel will be very similar. For precision I would think a 2lb break would be of advantage over a 3lb break. A couple of hundred more dollars may be worth it. Are you satisfied with your SSA groupings?

GH41
03-19-21, 15:17
You might also look at the SD-E. The straight bow might remind your brain that it isn't the SSA. I disagree with Tom's statement of the "E" trigger just being a lighter "A" trigger. Geissele describes it best... The A breaks like a carrot and the E breaks like glass.

Bluto
03-19-21, 15:21
The SSA-E is just a lighter SSA. The feel will be very similar. For precision I would think a 2lb break would be of advantage over a 3lb break. A couple of hundred more dollars may be worth it. Are you satisfied with your SSA groupings?

The thing is I typically don't shoot past 50 yards and even then I'm usually satisfied with minute-of-man hits. This is entirely new to me. I have a healthy budget for this, though, so price isn't really a driving force. It's the breaking weight I'm more concerned about.

markm
03-19-21, 15:56
I shoot groups poorly with the SSA. I don't know if it's coming off the single stage bolt guns or if it's the buffer reciprocating, but man I struggle with the Geisseles when it comes to groups.

03-19-21, 16:12
I shoot groups poorly with the SSA. I don't know if it's coming off the single stage bolt guns or if it's the buffer reciprocating, but man I struggle with the Geisseles when it comes to groups.

The creep in the 2nd stage of an SSA can be a bear to deal with. Especially since it can be a bit inconsistent.

An SSA-E is, IME, a much better trigger for precision than an SSA.

Pappabear
03-19-21, 17:22
I have the same guns and I run SSA's. When I get down on my one "E", I will often discharge the weapon before I mean to break it. So, I have SSA's in my AR10's too. But I could get used to it if I chose. The gun is heavy and I think that helps too.

PB

Bluto
03-19-21, 18:17
I have the same guns and I run SSA's. When I get down on my one "E", I will often discharge the weapon before I mean to break it. So, I have SSA's in my AR10's too. But I could get used to it if I chose. The gun is heavy and I think that helps too.

PB

I think you are articulating my issue better than I did! After mulling it over I'm going to go with what I know and stick an SSA in there.

Thanks all!

TomMcC
03-19-21, 18:43
I think you are articulating my issue better than I did! After mulling it over I'm going to go with what I know and stick an SSA in there.

Thanks all!

I used to use a SSA-E for 3gun. I sold it, and moved to a Velocity single stage 3lb trigger because of this same issue. When I was a bit pumped and under the clock, I was having difficulty modulating the 1st stage on long range shots. Many times I was wasting a round when I didn't want to because I overshot the first stage. Of course 3gun is a different game than precision, maybe more energetic.

Thunderpigeon
03-20-21, 06:50
If you have a generous budget you may want to consider a Geissele National Match trigger. It is adjustable so you can can set weight, creep, overtravel and other parameters to make it just the way you want it.

Inkslinger
03-20-21, 09:03
Have you considered the SSP? Single stage, around 3.5lbs pull. I have one on a recce build and I’m quite happy with it.