PDA

View Full Version : What about executive orders banning importation of firearms?

Left Sig
12-06-08, 18:56
First off, I don't want this to be another future AWB thread. Some feel a new AWB is a certainty, others feel the democrats won't be that stupid, and other feel that it will end up in the courts and they will determine the result. It's all speculation and we will just have to wait and see what happens.

But something I haven't seen much discussion about is restriction of importation by executive order. Most of us know that Bush 41 banned the importation of a number of military style weapons in 1989 by executive order, including Sig, HK, and AK rifles. By most accounts this was done in response to a highly publicized shooting involving an AK derivative, as well as the fear of violence from drug gangs as the crack epidemic spread.

So it follows that our new President could do the same, but I am not sure exactly how far he can go with an executive order. The issue here is that he can do this without an act of Congress. It may even pass constitutional muster because he is not banning possession of any firearms, simply the importation of foreign made firearms, which is something he could do with just about any product.

I can envision a complete ban on the importation of all AK derivatives, all semi-auto rifles with detachable mags, or even all semi-auto rifles and shotguns, all pistol mags with greater than 10 round capacities, or even all semi-auto handguns.

Of course, we would be left free to buy American made firearms and mags. AR manufacturers and handgun manufacturers like Sigarms, S&W, FN-USA, and Beretta USA that have US manufacturing facilities would be OK. But HK, Glock, and many others would be significantly impacted.

The more I think about it, the more this looks like the most likely scenario. Obama could make good on his campaign promise to protect the 2nd amendment but "keep AK-47's off our streets". As far as I understand it, this would be viewed as a trade issue and not an infringement on 2nd amendment rights.

5pins
12-06-08, 19:17
I have had the same thought lately. I think the most likely scenario would be a ban on Russian arms and ammo much like Clinton did with China.

warpigM-4
12-06-08, 20:11
you know I read this and think about Kvar they got around it by building a armory here.but really think of all the ak's already here, will it really hurt us that bad???I mean yes it sucks,and cost will go up ,but there are a lot of good US made aks.the ammo ban is what I worry about more.I know that asshat will do something to mess up our rights to buy our weapons ,but he has 4 years and then maybe we can get rid of him.with a pro gun President.I have own 13 ak-47's in my time I only have a Russian saiga ak-103 and a saiga 12 now I really don't need anymore.

Left Sig
12-06-08, 20:26
Yes, but aren't most AK's that are "built" here comprised of foreign parts with a few American made parts? Is anyone in the US tooled up to make a complete AK?

Surely someone could tool up to make complete AK's here, but given the cost of doing business in the US, they would be a lot more expensive.

But again, it would satisfy the political agenda - no more AK's being sold in the US. The sheep would go back to sleep thinking that Obama had made them safe, and the media would trumpet the success of common sense laws over evil. Then after a couple of years when someone starts building complete AK's here, we would see news stories about how the evil gun manufacturers are flaunting the importation ban by building AK's here. They would get all righteously indignant, wring their hands for a little while, and then move on to the next fake controversy.

Remember, it's not about accomplishing a goal or achieving a result with Obama and his ilk, other than getting elected and staying in office. It's about giving the appearance of doing something to make a good impression on the public.

And also remember that almost every tirade against assault weapons by anti gun politicians specifically mentions AK-47's and to a lesser extent Uzi's. I've rarely ever heard mention of AR's, MP5's, or Sig 550 series rifles.

BAC
12-06-08, 21:30
I think we've gone over the executive order thing before. A couple times, actually. Have you tried a search to see what comes up?

-B