PDA

View Full Version : Smart Shooter "Smart Sight"

Red*Lion
03-25-21, 19:00
Or the "Smash 2000" as named in the video clips seems to be an improvement on on the Tracking Point optics from 7-8 years ago. Even though it seems pretty nifty, call me a skeptic that it will be all that it is cracked up to be.

The Pentagon has hired Israeli firm Smart Shooter to develop an improved "smart sight" for small arms for U.S. special operations forces that could also find its way into the hands of conventional units. The optic's design is based in part on the company's SMASH 2000 system, which helps shooters spot threats and then quickly calculates the optimal point of aim, even if the target, such as a small drone, is moving.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39937/american-special-operators-set-to-get-new-advanced-computerized-sights-for-their-rifles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNej1dwTjW4

Red*Lion
03-25-21, 19:00
Another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C41CAAMgnoo&t=1s

Diamondback
03-25-21, 19:22
Sounds like just another Mepro Foresight to me...

SteyrAUG
03-25-21, 23:13
Oh good, they are going to incorporate a computer system and camera select feature function into my personal defense weapon. Nothing can go wrong with that.

Coming soon from CAA.

Diamondback
03-25-21, 23:18
Oh good, they are going to incorporate a computer system and camera select feature function into my personal defense weapon. Nothing can go wrong with that.

Coming soon from CAA.
Nah, CAA already has the Hartmann sight IIRC. LOL

SteyrAUG
03-26-21, 06:01
Reminds me of that "corner glock" shit that was supposed to be the ultimate cutting edge technology that nobody uses ever.

Izzies come up with some crazy gadgets, but because they haven't fought an actual war in decades, they don't realize how stupid some of this shit is.

IR designators and NVGs are how you target discriminate at night. Red dots and reticles are how you target discriminate during the day. And indoors quite honestly give me 1,500 lumens and iron sights and I'm seriously good to go.

Heads up displays and toggling targets is for fighter jets not M4s.

Adrenaline_6
03-26-21, 09:37
Reminds me of that "corner glock" shit that was supposed to be the ultimate cutting edge technology that nobody uses ever.

Izzies come up with some crazy gadgets, but because they haven't fought an actual war in decades, they don't realize how stupid some of this shit is.

IR designators and NVGs are how you target discriminate at night. Red dots and reticles are how you target discriminate during the day. And indoors quite honestly give me 1,500 lumens and iron sights and I'm seriously good to go.

Heads up displays and toggling targets is for fighter jets not M4s.

I can see it more useful on a DMR or bolt action.

utahjeepr
03-26-21, 09:56

Yeah, with a little distance and time it could work, not that there is really a hole that needs filling in that department.

Up close and fast, meh. Guys can be trained to use and manipulate tech like crazy. Add fear, adrenaline, and a couple teaspoons of panic? "How do I make this thing work like a red dot Sarge?"

Diamondback
03-26-21, 13:42
Yeah, with a little distance and time it could work, not that there is really a hole that needs filling in that department.

Up close and fast, meh. Guys can be trained to use and manipulate tech like crazy. Add fear, adrenaline, and a couple teaspoons of panic? "How do I make this thing work like a red dot Sarge?"

This is the same reason why many instructors I've encountered teach that good combat/defense shooting techniques should be as much gross-motor skill and as little fine-motor as possible, under adrenal load normally brute musclepower spikes and dexterity tanks.

Personally, and I'm as Q Branch Gadget Uberfreak as it gets, the practical limit I could see would be a sight with an integral laser rangefinder and automatic ballistic compensation. We don't really need computers when many sights already have a rangefinder feature baked in... the rub on them is remembering how to interpret all the symbology when the adrenal dump hits.

lowprone
03-26-21, 20:35
The first smart sight was on the Steyr AUG !

SteyrAUG
03-26-21, 22:47

They key factor is if it is dependably accurate at those ranges, and I'd still rather trust crosshairs. As people have noted, scopes with laser rangefinders and ballistic computers are probably much more viable.

This really looks like nothing more than PR tech on the part of Israel to promote the idea that they only engage in surgical strikes against specific identified threats. They have a history of acceptable collateral damage to undo when they used to be fairly indiscriminate, not that I'm criticizing them for it...if you roll with terrorists you might get rolled up with terrorists.

JoshNC
03-27-21, 10:16
How about we just teach marksmanship.

SteyrAUG
03-27-21, 18:56
How about we just teach marksmanship.

But we have this cool new "video game" optic. Seriously, one of those on a corner glock would be amazing.

https://cdn.officer.com/files/base/cygnus/ofcr/image/2016/08/960w/cornershot-back__fdu9hrzimr_dw_cuf.jpg

Adrenaline_6
03-31-21, 09:34
They key factor is if it is dependably accurate at those ranges, and I'd still rather trust crosshairs. As people have noted, scopes with laser rangefinders and ballistic computers are probably much more viable.

This really looks like nothing more than PR tech on the part of Israel to promote the idea that they only engage in surgical strikes against specific identified threats. They have a history of acceptable collateral damage to undo when they used to be fairly indiscriminate, not that I'm criticizing them for it...if you roll with terrorists you might get rolled up with terrorists.

Have you seen videos of the previous gen tech on rifles?...Accurate is an understatement. Freakin ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0oGZ4TZr5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYqlHNOVCXM

Diamondback
03-31-21, 10:48
OTOH, it is ironic to note that a great deal of our PGM and sensor technology is license-build and/or product-improved versions of Israeli hardware. Air and Ground are two different fights, though...

Hank6046
03-31-21, 11:53

I would say this is a good idea, but we are still in the infancy of anything like this truly being where it needs to be technology wise. Just look at night vision from the 90's verse the technology today, we need more wars, more budgets and more necessity for this to be implemented.

Diamondback
03-31-21, 14:11
The other worry I see is that the better we can make weapon-mount technology, the closer we make combat to "Unreal Tournament in the ultimate Hardcore Mode." War is not Nintendo, after all, no matter how much they try to make it so with drones.

Too much videogame, and people forget "you can DIE out here, there IS no respawn and your Game Over screen is the final fade-to-black."

Adrenaline_6
03-31-21, 14:18
The other worry I see is that the better we can make weapon-mount technology, the closer we make combat to "Unreal Tournament in the ultimate Hardcore Mode." War is not Nintendo, after all, no matter how much they try to make it so with drones.

Too much videogame, and people forget "you can DIE out here, there IS no respawn and your Game Over screen is the final fade-to-black."

"Last Man Standing - Instagib" was where the real skills were - :cool: