PDA

View Full Version : Coming 2 America Review

WillBrink
03-26-21, 08:39
One critic called it a " nostalgia-driven cash grab" which it is. It tries to balance the feel of the era the first one came from, and modern, so it contains some SJW themes along with the stereotypes and such. It's an odd mix, yet works, sorta. But, it was a lot of fun to see those characters again, it does bring back some fond memories, and it's a who's who of black actors and comedians, and silly good fun. It would be easy to over analyze this movie through today's woke lens by being offended by something in this movie, but if you enjoyed the first one, you'll likely enjoy this one. Some parts make no damn sense at all, and I didn't really care. Silly good fun not to be taken too seriously even if as another critic called it "...nostalgia for nostalgia's sake." B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY8gUtyeAKE

AndyLate
03-26-21, 08:52
We watched it the other day and it wasn't terrible. The original was a much better, but thats true of a lot of sequels. I did fade out somewhere in the middle, truth be told.

Its one of the movies my Dad was talking about when he said he could just wait and watch it on tv for free.

Andy

WillBrink
03-26-21, 09:12
We watched it the other day and it wasn't terrible. The original was a much better, but thats true of a lot of sequels. I did fade out somewhere in the middle, truth be told.

Its one of the movies my Dad was talking about when he said he could just wait and watch it on tv for free.

Andy

As a stand alone movie, it's not very good. As a silly fun nostalgia driven thing, I actually enjoyed it. I/we could get offended there was one white guy in the entire movie who is portrayed as a clueless racist dumb chit, but I just don't care.

utahjeepr
03-26-21, 09:30
I like Eddie Murphy, but I thought the original sucked goat testes. The wife is pushing to watch this one. I'm not looking forward to it.

WillBrink
03-26-21, 10:03
I like Eddie Murphy, but I thought the original sucked goat testes. The wife is pushing to watch this one. I'm not looking forward to it.

The original is an 80s classic in the genre of silly fun 80s movies he put out. If you didn't like the original, you aint gonna like 2.

kerplode
03-26-21, 10:26
I thought the original was pretty good. I still laugh my ass off whenever I think of that scene where those folks get up off the couch and leave three huge greasy circles from the Soul Glo. OMG...Hilarious!

I'll have to check this one out sometime.

CRAMBONE
03-26-21, 11:56
We watched it last week. It’s funny and worth a couch watch. Not as funny as the original and I felt like it kind of petered out about 3/4 of the way through. I was a little disappointed there wasn’t any maid boobies in the sequel.

Where was the racist white guy?

vicious_cb
03-26-21, 12:08
As a stand alone movie, it's not very good. As a silly fun nostalgia driven thing, I actually enjoyed it. I/we could get offended there was one white guy in the entire movie who is portrayed as a clueless racist dumb chit, but I just don't care.

Consume product, get excited about next product.

And people wonder why current entertainment is all shit.

WillBrink
03-26-21, 12:28
We watched it last week. It’s funny and worth a couch watch. Not as funny as the original and I felt like it kind of petered out about 3/4 of the way through. I was a little disappointed there wasn’t any maid boobies in the sequel.

Where was the racist white guy?

In the very beginning in the job interview. He'd be viewed racist by his assumptions and comments.

WillBrink
03-26-21, 12:31
Consume product, get excited about next product.

And people wonder why current entertainment is all shit.

All current entertainment is not all shit. It's always easy to recall the "back in my day when movies and music was great" thing, forgetting there was no lack of crap then too. I have seen/reviewed some great movies (1) in the last few years as well as crap.

1: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=4052374

Bulletdog
03-26-21, 14:07
"The royal penis is clean, your highness."

CRAMBONE
03-26-21, 14:28
In the very beginning in the job interview. He'd be viewed racist by his assumptions and comments.

Oh yeah I remember now. Yeah that character was funny. I view stuff like that not as a white stereotype but as a yuppy/trust fund/elitist stereotype. And I thought the portrayal was spot on.