PDA

View Full Version : MIT graduate found dead in Chicago apartment with pipe bombs and materials

Gabriel556
03-26-21, 10:04
We will see how this plays out. It’s barely in the local news as it is.

Below is an excerpt from the article. This was a wellness check turned into death investigation.

In addition, what was found inside Hilk's condominium on Wednesday sparked fear and questions.

"It's not something that anybody should have in their apartment," said UIC Distinguished Professor Luke Hanley.

Initially, investigators thought they stumbled upon a meth lab. However, sources say it turned out to be bomb-making materials for three different types of bombs. Two active pipe bombs were apparently stored in his refrigerator.

The Chicago Fire Department says they uncovered Azide, which is a substance used as a detonator.

"They may be used commercially, for example in certain types of explosives, like construction or something," Hanley said. "But the main legitimate use is to set off a larger explosive."

Two floors of the building were evacuated, and professor of chemistry Scott Denmark says that was necessary.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/man-found-dead-with-pipe-bombs-in-his-chicago-condo-was-mit-graduate-former-day-trader.amp?taid=605dd04ae25ade00016082b0&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

signal4l
03-26-21, 10:15
Very interesting story. The guy had commercial grade explosives. Should be national news

utahjeepr
03-26-21, 10:25
Takes some spicy sauce to make things go boom. I'm guessing smarty pants here poisoned himself with the off gassing while trying to make lead azide. At least he didn't kill anyone in neighboring apartments.

Hee hee, gotta love it. RIP shithead.

CRAMBONE
03-26-21, 11:45
Lead aside is some really bad stuff isn’t it?

gaijin
03-26-21, 12:18
Possibly an ANTIFA sympathizer or member?
Total wack job irregardless, and yeah- good riddance.

Business_Casual
03-26-21, 12:19
Or the buyers for another device whacked him and left with it.

ChattanoogaPhil
03-26-21, 12:26
Anyone check on the whereabouts of Obama's pal William Ayers?

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-26-21, 12:44
This is why I always chuckle when the left worries about guns. It aint the tool, its the craftsman, and when you piss off enough engineers/ChemE's - that's when stuff gets out of hand. It seems that the most dangerous insurgents end up being engineers of some stripe. Smart, project management, work hard to make things NOT go boom. Also shows that even a guy from MIT can screw up, thank God.

KCTV 5 reported Thursday that Hilk was remembered for his time at Mill Valley as being an academic star who earned a perfect score on the ACT.

Computer sciences/math major... LinkedIn says that he is a 3rd contact from me, maybe fourth now if you count the Weegee board....

Gabriel556
03-26-21, 13:11
I can’t agree more with you. I often tell people the same, it’s not the tool that will kill, it’a how the tool is employed. As often said, guns are used to kill people but vehicles and alcohol kill way more every year and yet those are not mentioned in the constitution and everybody would “peacefully” demonstrate if those were regulated like they want to do for guns.

Averageman
03-26-21, 13:32
How many people have been murdered with a pen or a pencil?

just a scout
03-26-21, 13:41

It’s pretty frightening to deal with. Shock sensitive if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CRAMBONE
03-26-21, 14:09

“I’ve got a phone and a pen.” -said by some dude in a position of power

jbjh
03-26-21, 14:35
Takes some spicy sauce to make things go boom. I'm guessing smarty pants here poisoned himself with the off gassing while trying to make lead azide. At least he didn't kill anyone in neighboring apartments.

Hee hee, gotta love it. RIP shithead.

Off gassing is one reason I never understood why TSA was ordered to freak out about binary liquid explosives; You’d have to cook it in the plane *somehow* while not dying of the fumes. If you could pull that off, you’re probably MacGuyver/Bond level anyway.

Sent from 80ms in the future

TAZ
03-26-21, 15:11

Couple of a hundred million when some asshat named Stalin signed some papers back in the day.

I’m sure folks get killed by all sorts of legal things. Pens, pencils, knives, cars,...

Averageman
03-26-21, 15:44
Couple of a hundred million when some asshat named Stalin signed some papers back in the day.

I’m sure folks get killed by all sorts of legal things. Pens, pencils, knives, cars,...

Exactly...

kaiservontexas
03-26-21, 15:48
Good he scored his own goal.
(British term concerning bomb makers for the ira who goofed it and killed themselves while making said devices)

I remember reading about some guy in New Zealand building a cruise missile in his garage.

Skill + tools + will = positive outcome
No skill + tools + will = possible outcome
Skill + no tools + will= . . .
No skill + no tools + will = . . .
No skill + no tools + no will = nada

I think folks get the idea.

Averageman
03-26-21, 16:00
Well, that whole venting thing, but a MIT student not understanding "Venting?".
You got all that going on and then, but, how really how hard is it to kill a guy during all of that chemistry?

prepare
03-26-21, 17:22
He's obviously not a Trump guy or this would be breaking news.

utahjeepr
03-26-21, 19:46

It's not particularly nasty. It's used in most of our munitions. Mortars, arty and tank shells, rockets,... As a finished product it is reasonably stable and safe, for a primary explosive (which as a whole are unstable and rather NOT safe ;) )

It's the making of it that IS nasty. The chemical process that produces the lead azide also produces hydrazoic acid vapor as a byproduct. Hydrazoic acid is horribly toxic, and very flammable. Other hazardous wastes are generated during the production as well. If he was home cooking other explosive compounds he may well have been living in quite the stew of hazardous wastes. His death could have been an immediate reaction or a cumulative effect.

Or, he could have been taking all the appropriate precautions and simply had an aneurysm for all I know. Either way, no harm no foul and nothing of value lost.

The_War_Wagon
03-26-21, 19:54

MIT grad... killed by "stupidity." :rolleyes: