PDA

View Full Version : 243 WSSM conversion mag question

Lostinthewoods
12-06-08, 21:49
I'm building a 243 WSSM and the factory AR-15 (NOT AR-10 ) mags are modified in the following way...

The Mag catch hole is raised by .080 in. (lowers the lips by this amount because the bolt & carrier is different/larger diameter). All the other mods done to the mags I can easily do in my shop (feed lip widening, follower cut, etc.)

As this is going to be a tactical competition rifle, (this would not be a problem on a hunting gun) I may need to rest the mag on a support sometimes and this will cause a possible malfunction, as the elongated mag catch hole will allow the mag to be pushed up by .080 inch, possibly striking the carrier ass'y...........

There are several ways I can fix this, but the easiest and best way would be to find some mags with a proper hole location.

Any mags on the market with a raised hole location ...ie 6.8, .458, etc, etc?????

My other options are.......modify rifle bolt catch, or.....make a ring around the mag that will hit mag well opening to stop overinsertion, or.... try to weld on a mag (SS wold be best) build this area up and remachine it to proper size, or ......any other suggestions?

Thanks for any and all replies.

constructor
12-07-08, 22:42
I'm building a 243 WSSM and the factory AR-15 (NOT AR-10 ) mags are modified in the following way...

The Mag catch hole is raised by .080 in. (lowers the lips by this amount because the bolt & carrier is different/larger diameter). All the other mods done to the mags I can easily do in my shop (feed lip widening, follower cut, etc.)

As this is going to be a tactical competition rifle, (this would not be a problem on a hunting gun) I may need to rest the mag on a support sometimes and this will cause a possible malfunction, as the elongated mag catch hole will allow the mag to be pushed up by .080 inch, possibly striking the carrier ass'y...........

There are several ways I can fix this, but the easiest and best way would be to find some mags with a proper hole location.

Any mags on the market with a raised hole location ...ie 6.8, .458, etc, etc?????

My other options are.......modify rifle bolt catch, or.....make a ring around the mag that will hit mag well opening to stop overinsertion, or.... try to weld on a mag (SS wold be best) build this area up and remachine it to proper size, or ......any other suggestions?

Thanks for any and all replies.
What about using P mags and raise the notch then epoxy below, may be easier than welding and grinding.

Lostinthewoods
12-08-08, 09:17
What about using P mags and raise the notch then epoxy below, may be easier than welding and grinding.

I had thought of that, but these cartridges are so large diameter they are single stack and I would have to file out the whole ridge down the center that separates the bullet tips, but that may still be a viable option.

I'll look at them again,

Thanks!