PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with AR prices?

KirkS
03-29-21, 15:09
I am going to be moving to an un-free state in the near future and I was checking prices for a few items I am going to sell. Saw complete lowers going for $500 plus. Saw ten tan windowed M3 PMAGs go for $275. Is this just a response to the recent events in Atlanta and Boulder, or has it been going on longer, COVID lockdown and BLM protests? Global supply chain woes?

What is a fair price for an unfired complete BCM lower? I’ve got to admit, asking for more than I bought stuff for feels unsavory to me. What about PMAG prices?

I apologize for not knowing what is going on, I’ve been checked out for a few years as I’ve dealt with family issues.

titsonritz
03-29-21, 15:16
I'm seeing idiots trying to get $1500 and more for their Anderson/Bear Creak/Foxtrot Mike "custom" abortions and I'm just laughing my ass off. The last complete BCM lower I got I stole for $200, but that was well before CV-19.

B Cart
03-29-21, 15:27
When you have a sitting president threatening gun law specific executive action and calling on the senate to "ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines", the prices of ARs and magazines are going to go up. Fortunately for those wanting to get an AR and 30-round magazines, it seems you can still find them online and in some stores at 'reasonable' prices. That may not last long though, if the dems keep full-court pressing.

I'm still seeing 30-round pmags in stock at cabelas and other stores for around $12.99. Not awesome, but not ridiculous either. If you need a complete lower right away, PSA has complete lowers with magpul furniture for $249, and BCM seems to have them in stock occasionally around $395

The_War_Wagon
03-29-21, 15:49
Saw ten tan windowed M3 PMAGs go for $275.

I can get 20 for that price in PA. What hellhole are YOU moving to?! :blink:

KirkS
03-29-21, 15:50
... Fortunately for those wanting to get an AR and 30-round magazines, it seems you can still find them online and in some stores at 'reasonable' prices. That may not last long though, if the dems keep full-court pressing.

I'm still seeing 30-round pmags in stock at cabelas and other stores for around $12.99. Not awesome, but not ridiculous either. If you need a complete lower right away, PSA has complete lowers with magpul furniture for $249, and BCM seems to have them in stock occasionally around $395

Thanks. I wasn’t sure what reasonable was on the used market. I was surprised to see those prices I mentioned that are way above retail when it seemed like you can still get stuff from stores. Wasn’t sure if there was something else I was missing.

KirkS
03-29-21, 15:54
I can 20 for that price in PA. What hellhole are YOU moving to?! :blink:

I saw that price in the EE on this site. Are you saying 20 mags would sell for $275 in PA?

Moving from Oregon to California. Family issues.

Hank6046
03-29-21, 16:03
It's funny, I have a local gun shop with BCM uppers all regularly priced and then right next them they have S&W M&P Sport for $950, a Colt 6920 for $1150, and a ADM for $2150. I just don't know what to think anymore, except be happy that I already have pretty much everything I could want. The gun shop down the road however has a Wilson Combat for $2500, and a CMMG for $1800, I used to love to go there because they used have an awesome selection of used guns, but their recent prices have driven me out. I've noticed a rise in magazine prices recently, but can still get Lancers and Gen3's for around $17 which is fine, and Okay and D&H mags for around $12.

utahjeepr
03-29-21, 16:16
We have a state gun trading board. It's crazy.

"Milspec AR-15 Anderson upper, polymer lower, all military spec parts!!! $1500"

I s#!t you not. Utah gun exchange, go look for yourself.

ETA: It's not all like that, but there are some great ones! ;)

B Cart
03-29-21, 16:22
Thanks. I wasn’t sure what reasonable was on the used market. I was surprised to see those prices I mentioned that are way above retail when it seemed like you can still get stuff from stores. Wasn’t sure if there was something else I was missing.

Ya, people on the private market are just trying to see how high they can go. It's sad honestly, but they're getting away with it with ammo, so why not guns and mags?

Yep haha! I'm in Utah as well, and UGE has gone crazy. Especially ammo. I've seen people listing 9mm RELOADS for $1/round.

KirkS
03-29-21, 16:34

So, some folks are asking for crazy prices, but not everyone is buying at these crazy prices. I think I’ll just post my stuff asking for regular retail. Not looking to skin anyone, just need to find new homes for it. Would be psyched to not lose money for once (not counting sunk transfer fees and shipping that is).

utahjeepr
03-29-21, 17:05
Ya, people on the private market are just trying to see how high they can go. It's sad honestly, but they're getting away with it with ammo, so why not guns and mags?

Yep haha! I'm in Utah as well, and UGE has gone crazy. Especially ammo. I've seen people listing 9mm RELOADS for $1/round.

Yeah and not commercial reman like HSM, Freedom, and the like; but their own home reloads. "Sure I'll pay a buck a round to find out if you know what your doing ;)."

For what it's worth OP I just (over?)paid $400 for complete BCM lower groups at my LGS. If tan window pmags are going for $27.50 I want in on that action. I have a freaking crate full of "combat experienced" tan windows from when the Corps delisted them. And YES, I paid for em. :p

03-29-21, 17:25
There’s a lot of stuff listed at those prices but I don’t think they’re actually selling for that.

I think it’s the people who hoard stuff up looking to flip it when everyone panics. The ammo situation is getting better and there never really has been an AR shortage in my AO.

GH41
03-29-21, 17:50
There’s a lot of stuff listed at those prices but I don’t think they’re actually selling for that.

I think it’s the people who hoard stuff up looking to flip it when everyone panics. The ammo situation is getting better and there never really has been an AR shortage in my AO.

The people paying crazy prices are crazy people. Maybe desperate crazy people. Desperate to buy something they know nothing about because they think they may not be able to get it in the future. I wish I had a truckload of $500 Bushmasters I could sell to them for $2500 each. You have to appreciate fools. I have no problem separating them from their money.

pag23
03-29-21, 18:28
I saw that price in the EE on this site. Are you saying 20 mags would sell for $275 in PA?

Possibly in the mags. I just got a few Pmags MOE Gen 2 for 12 bucks a piece. $19 a piece for 7.62 Pmags...

You can probably price your BCM lower at $500 to $600 and someone would buy it

titsonritz
03-29-21, 18:30

What part?

KirkS
03-29-21, 18:40
What part?
Portland to CA central coast.

titsonritz
03-29-21, 19:17

So below SF then?

KirkS
03-29-21, 19:42
So below SF then?
Yeah, Monterey Bay area.

ndmiller
03-29-21, 20:04
Was in LGS on Sunday, mag prices normal $10-15 and the handful of AR's were under $1500. I've seen sponsors and another site recently list Colt & IWI (just two I remember) for just over 1K, so prices can be crazy or almost normal if you just look around.

I think people are trying to capitalize on the fear and panic from gun/ammo/part buyers, but there is product available you just have to look harder to find it.

Ammo prices are in fact insane yet supply seems only a bit constrained. LGS doesn't even sell to non range shooters and then only 2 boxes at double prepanic prices. Last year I bought 10 cases of 9mm S&B for $209, then $219 and now it's 400-500-600-700 depending on where you look. It'll settle down just like it always does so don't buy at the high unless you really need/want or have the extra disposable income.

Jellybean
03-30-21, 13:09
I saw that price in the EE on this site. Are you saying 20 mags would sell for $275 in PA?....

Yeah, but were they "FDE/Tan" Pmags or "Sand/white" ?
If Sand, yeah, they are crazy money for collectability/dye reasons. Same if you have any old school Pmag straight-20rd mags. Those usually pull 40-60 each, because people are stupid and stuck on aesthetics.

Anyway, if you have a factory complete BCM lower, put it out on Tacswap for $500. Someone will probably buy it. Or try to scam you for it... :laugh:
Does it have the new trigger or the old one?

If selling rifle mags, price is about same as before if used in good condition ($10/per mag), if new, $12-18.
Pistol mags, about the same or up by $5ea. if new. About the same or less $5 each if light use. Depends on how bad people want them.
Ammo - 9mm .60-80 Cents/PR, 5.56/.223 80 cents to a buck a round. .300BO is like 2 bucks and change P/R, shotgun slugs/buck, $1-2 bucks per round.
Uppers - for average-tier uppers, previous pre-panic pricing + about 50-100 bucks. If "cool guy" stuff like BCM/DD/LMT/Geiselle usually around $800-1100 for the upper, condition dependent.
Primary Arms ACSS scopes are up a bit again due to availability issues; Used Surefires up perhaps a little bit due to demand. Everything else seems about the same pricing as pre-panic. Not seeing crazy prices on optics/gear or armor (yet).

The_War_Wagon
03-30-21, 18:33

I bought a batch from a LGS for that price just last month.

DBS25
03-31-21, 10:13
Did you sell the lower? I sent you a PM

titsonritz
03-31-21, 11:57

Are you on Northwest Firearms forum? Check it out if not, good place for local sales.

KirkS
03-31-21, 18:49
Yeah, but were they "FDE/Tan" Pmags or "Sand/white" ?
If Sand, yeah, they are crazy money for collectability/dye reasons. Same if you have any old school Pmag straight-20rd mags. Those usually pull 40-60 each, because people are stupid and stuck on aesthetics.
Ah, that is really good intel. I had no idea there was a difference between sand and tan. Gotta keep up with my earth tones. Just tan here, or Medium Coyote Tan.

Anyway, if you have a factory complete BCM lower, put it out on Tacswap for $500. Someone will probably buy it. Or try to scam you for it... :laugh:
Does it have the new trigger or the old one?
By new trigger, are you referring to the PNT? Both lowers are from 2020. So, PNT, not the old USGI one.

If selling rifle mags, price is about same as before if used in good condition ($10/per mag), if new, $12-18.
Pistol mags, about the same or up by $5ea. if new. About the same or less $5 each if light use. Depends on how bad people want them.
Ah, more good info. I have a mix of older PMAGS and USGI.

Super helpful post, thank you Jellybean

KirkS
03-31-21, 18:52
Are you on Northwest Firearms forum? Check it out if not, good place for local sales.
Yeah, I have an account there. I don’t post much, but that is my style (listen lots, post little).
I’ll post the ammo and lowers there. Not really interested in shipping that stuff.

KirkS
03-31-21, 18:57
Did you sell the lower? I sent you a PM
Replied. Sorry, PM notifications were off for some reason. Fixed for future.

Jellybean
04-01-21, 01:34
By new trigger, are you referring to the PNT? Both lowers are from 2020. So, PNT, not the old USGI one.

...... I have a mix of older PMAGS and USGI.

Super helpful post, thank you Jellybean

No problem.
Yes, 'new trigger' was the PNT, shoulda specified.

Per the mags, depending on how old-gen the Pmags are, and what the USGI mags are, I would be tempted to say 'wait another month or two and see what happens politically' but if you gotta dump em now, then it is what it is.

KirkS
04-03-21, 12:12
No problem.
...I would be tempted to say 'wait another month or two and see what happens politically' but if you gotta dump em now, then it is what it is.

Fortunately I have some time before moving to sort this all out. Waiting isn’t my strong suit though, I’m a man of action and all that.

Thanks again for some good info. I had $$$ in my eyes before I realized sand and tan weren’t the same.

Pappabear
04-03-21, 14:26
There is a Colt 6920 at my LGS for $1,095 right now. Very fair prices, I only see ammo prices that continue to be insane. Not guns or mags.

PB

ndmiller
04-03-21, 15:58
Sand mags were the one designed to be dyed, but the recipe to dye them proved elusive, so never tried it. I bought the 5's, 10's, 20's and 30's in Sand in hope of dying them whatever color I built my AR's or Friends did as MagPul keeps discontinuing colors where you can grab the furniture for a steal yet can't get mags.

Has anyone ever tried successfully to dye these a known color and have them come out in that color?

Can't believe they're collectible as they are just albinoish mags waiting for color.

JoshNC
04-04-21, 14:52
Why sell? Instead, make CA compliant. And consider stashing non-compliant items in a free state with a trusted friend or family member.