PDA

View Full Version : G. Gordon Liddy...Dead at 90.

Straight Shooter
03-30-21, 19:44
Always liked the G Man. He had a TON of tales.
Saw him here in Huntsville in the early nineties onstage doing his thing. Took questions about a plethora of subjects.
A great Patriot...RIP.

Firefly
03-30-21, 19:55
RIP Captain Real Estate.

Nixon did nothing wrong

prepare
03-30-21, 20:16
The G Man was an interesting character. Glad he made it to 90.

SteyrAUG
03-30-21, 20:51
RIP Captain Real Estate.

Nixon did nothing wrong

Nixon DID something wrong, but it was amateur hour compared to the shit politicians pull today.

And while he was pretty despicable as a person, I think the good he did offset the bad he did.

Opened relations with China preventing a two front Cold War (which lasted until Clinton).
Took us OFF the gold standard so our economy wouldn't fluctuate with gold prices, can you imagine the damage if we were still on the gold standard during the late 70s Gold Rush.
Kicked off the War on Drugs (meant well) nobody anticipated cocaine cowboys, did sorta bring an end to the heroin epidemic that was full on out of control.

But a terrible little, spiteful, insecure man.

When Kennedy was elected, Bootleg Joe had the cemeteries voting hard for JFK. That is no worse than bugging the DNC headquarters. Democrats were always taking transparency anyway...what were they hiding?

Firefly
03-30-21, 21:03
Nixon will go down as the next Jesus Christ in 200 years if history is fair. Dead serious

And Kissinger as a hateful Judas.

Richard Nixon is one of my personal heroes. A tragic figure to be sure.

Watergate does not bother me. He was the only man who kept his word.

He’d try one last trick in Vietnam. If it didn’t bring the North to Paris then he was pulling out. He’s also the one who gave 18 yos the vote.

Your young ass could be shipped off away from home to catch a bullet but you couldn’t vote. Nixon leveled the playing field.

Fvck Reagan. Nixon was the New Wave Republican we needed desperately and still to this day.

But Captain Real Estate was also a grand figure in his own right and it was criminal he ever spent a day behind bars. Woodward and Bernstein should be put on a cross somewhere

jsbhike
03-30-21, 21:05
Nixon DID something wrong, but it was amateur hour compared to the shit politicians pull today.

And while he was pretty despicable as a person, I think the good he did offset the bad he did.

Opened relations with China preventing a two front Cold War (which lasted until Clinton).
Took us OFF the gold standard so our economy wouldn't fluctuate with gold prices, can you imagine the damage if we were still on the gold standard during the late 70s Gold Rush.
Kicked off the War on Drugs (meant well) nobody anticipated cocaine cowboys, did sorta bring an end to the heroin epidemic that was full on out of control.

But a terrible little, spiteful, insecure man.

When Kennedy was elected, Bootleg Joe had the cemeteries voting hard for JFK. That is no worse than bugging the DNC headquarters. Democrats were always taking transparency anyway...what were they hiding?

Got us out of Vietnam, then there was damn near everything else he did.

Used to like listening to Liddy. Was he on 1 or 2 Miami Vice episodes?

Business_Casual
03-30-21, 21:37
Wow. The desire to join the new world order is shocking.

Where do you think all of our manufacturing jobs went? Straight to China via Nixon and Kissinger.

SteyrAUG
03-30-21, 22:57
Nixon will go down as the next Jesus Christ in 200 years if history is fair. Dead serious

And Kissinger as a hateful Judas.

Richard Nixon is one of my personal heroes. A tragic figure to be sure.

Watergate does not bother me. He was the only man who kept his word.

He’d try one last trick in Vietnam. If it didn’t bring the North to Paris then he was pulling out. He’s also the one who gave 18 yos the vote.

Your young ass could be shipped off away from home to catch a bullet but you couldn’t vote. Nixon leveled the playing field.

Fvck Reagan. Nixon was the New Wave Republican we needed desperately and still to this day.

But Captain Real Estate was also a grand figure in his own right and it was criminal he ever spent a day behind bars. Woodward and Bernstein should be put on a cross somewhere

Lots of merit in there, he was kind of the anti Carter. Terrible person, effective President. Carter was a genuine nice guy, but a disaster of a President. Even when he finally did the right thing it still went to shit.

Got us out of Vietnam, then there was damn near everything else he did.

Yep, most people forget that we actually pulled ALL of our troops in 1972. That is because when the south fell in 1975 that is generally presented as when we lost in Vietnam but really that was nothing more than the evacuation of our embassy long after we withdrew our military force.

The all day chopper convoy was us simply trying to evacuate all the friendlies that we could possibly help who desperately didn't want to be there when the commies showed up.

In a very real way, Watergate is to blame for the fall of the south. It took a few years but eventually Hanoi figured out neither Nixon or Ford would be able to keep their promise to return if the south was invaded in a post Watergate environment.

And yeah, he was on a couple Vice episodes. I personally didn't think much of the guy. Loyalty isn't necessarily a good virtue when you are breaking the law and possibly violating the constitution.

titsonritz
03-31-21, 12:24

That's the "Captain Real Estate" reference being made.

BTW, John Diehl who played Lawrence "Larry" Zito on Miami Vice was cast as Liddy in Oliver Stone's movie "Nixon" (1995).

WillBrink
03-31-21, 13:57
I have mixed feelings about him as he was obviously a complicated man, but he was a very interesting person, I suspect most of which, we will never know. My wish is they find a true tell all manuscript in his safe once he died.

SteyrAUG
03-31-21, 18:30
I have mixed feelings about him as he was obviously a complicated man, but he was a very interesting person, I suspect most of which, we will never know. My wish is they find a true tell all manuscript in his safe once he died.

I'm actually wishing for the opposite. Let it pass.

ABNAK
03-31-21, 20:22
Saw him in person with my brother at a pro-gun rally in D.C. back in like '95. His Corvette had those "G-Man" plates.

Firefly
03-31-21, 21:04
He was extraordinarily based. His wife had a “gun collection”. He had his own girly calendars named Stacked and Packed and he kept in shape and drove sports cars.

He also said some pretty based things after Waco.