PDA

View Full Version : need shotgun for keeping out of gun safe

royta
12-07-08, 00:22
I'll be having a gun safe delivered next week. Depending on how you look at it, this can be both good and bad. It's good that all my guns will be secured. It's bad because they will be secured when I might need one quick.

I already own two shotguns, a Winchester Model 12 and a Browning Gold Classic Hunter. These will both be locked in the safe. I'd like to pick up a less expensive shotgun to keep in the closet for home defense. It needs to be short barreled and preferrably hold more than the standard 5 shells in the magazine. The shotgun plus either of my daily carry pistols should be just fine for home defense.

Sure, I'd love to pick up an 870 Police Magnum, but now we're talking about a shotgun that is valuable enough that it too should probably be locked up. Any suggestions for a shotgun that would fulfill my needs? Are the Charles Daly Field Tactical shotguns any good? They certainly fill the bill for inexpensive, but they only hold 5 shells in the magazine. Obviously I want/need something reliable. I'd also probably use it for 3-gun matches.

NoBody
12-07-08, 05:35
Deleted.

Dan Goodwin
12-07-08, 05:36
Get the 870 of your dreams. Have it handy while you're at home, lock it up or take it with you while you're gone.

Iraqgunz
12-07-08, 06:13
Exactly how I do it when I am home. Otherwise when I am away the wife has her Glock readily available and she knows how to access the safe. Then an AR would come out.

Get the 870 of your dreams. Have it handy while you're at home, lock it up or take it with you while you're gone.

rob_s
12-07-08, 06:55
I made the mistake of leaving an 870 outside the safe. It was the one gun that was stolen from me when my house was burglarized.

Something that had never entered my mind until this happened...

Someone breaks in. They're in your bedroom/closet/gun room/whatever looking for anything and everything. They find your shotgun. Your arrive home and, because they entered through the rear, you have no idea they are there. You surprise them and they are now armed with the shotgun you left out.

What do you think happens next?

This scenario is not far fetched, and is almost what happened to me. Fortunately they had a way out through the back door and left rather than deciding to stay and fight, and they had made enough of a mess in the living room (muddy footprints on light tile) that I knew something was amiss.

I am a fan of having a ready gun, but I think that a pistol, with a light, in a lockbox is a better solution for me.

Charles Daly
12-07-08, 18:52
... Are the Charles Daly Field Tactical shotguns any good? They certainly fill the bill for inexpensive, but they only hold 5 shells in the magazine. Obviously I want/need something reliable. I'd also probably use it for 3-gun matches.

Here's a pic of our new pistol grip Tactical model that will be shown at the SHOT Show next month with deliveries starting in late January.

Tactical Pump with Ghost Ring sights and picatinny top rail

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/kaz53_photos/Tactical/CD9grips.jpg

It's still only a 5 shot but affordable, reliable and comes with our Lifetime Repair Policy.

ETA: MSRP $399.00 = "Real World Retail" approx $349-$379

tinman44
12-07-08, 19:59
thanks charles now i'll have to explain that to the wife. you know you manufactorers should stop making things i like to spend my money on :(

DrMark
12-07-08, 20:03
FWIW, there were Model 870 Express 18" Synthetic 7-Rounders at this weekend's gun show for ~$320.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic_7-round_specs.asp

Charles Daly
12-07-08, 21:03
Here's the standard Tactical model that royta initially inquired about. MSRP $249.00

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/kaz53_photos/Tactical/fpump_tactical_s.jpg

And here's a similar one one in industrial hard crome, with upgraded adjustable rifle sights, MSRP $269.00
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/kaz53_photos/Tactical/fpump_tacticalaw_s.jpg

It's only when you add a pistol grip buttstock, ghost ring sights and a picatinny rail, as shown in my earlier post, that our price goes over the standard 870.

(Sorry about the pics with captions. I had to take these directly from our web site and the pic caption for the AW says Nickel plated, but that is wrong and will be corrected on our website tomorrow. It is chrome.)

Charles Daly
12-07-08, 21:29
One last pic (of poor quality). I do apologize if this is appears as a threadjack but I though it would assist royta in his quest.

This is our new Tactical Breeching interchangeable choke tube. It is supplied with the new pistol grip tactical pump package, but only the gun with the ghost ring sights and the picatinny rail. It can be purchased from us as a separate choke tube and fits all of our pump and semi-auto multi-choke barrels (which BTW are threaded for RemChoke).

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/kaz53_photos/Tactical/MVC-003F-1.jpg

thopkins22
12-07-08, 21:38
Definitely ordering one of those chokes up tomorrow. How much?

Maybe two...one for your gun, one for the Remington.

Charles Daly
12-07-08, 22:19
Definitely ordering one of those chokes up tomorrow. How much?

Maybe two...one for your gun, one for the Remington.

thopkins22, thanks for your inquiry.

Do you have one of our standard Tactical pumps? If yes then it has a fixed cylinder bore and does not take choke tubes. If you have any of our multi-choke guns then this tube will fit.

It will definitely fit any 12 gauge that takes the RemChoke.

MSRP will be $34.95. First availability will be around the end of January.

royta
12-08-08, 05:01
Here's the standard Tactical model that royta initially inquired about. MSRP $249.00

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc79/kaz53_photos/Tactical/fpump_tactical_s.jpg

It's only when you add a pistol grip buttstock, ghost ring sights and a picatinny rail, as shown in my earlier post, that our price goes over the standard 870.

Big 5 had the Field Tactical on sale, until 12/7, for $220. Great price, but $270 regular price. $250 MSRP? No wonder I don't think of Big 5 when it comes time to buy a new gun.

Charles Daly
12-08-08, 09:46
Big 5 had the Field Tactical on sale, until 12/7, for $220. Great price, but $270 regular price. $250 MSRP? No wonder I don't think of Big 5 when it comes time to buy a new gun.

Sorry, but I posted 2008 prices. Big-5 has probably already adjusted their "everyday" price to '09 pricing which is $269.00 for the standard Field Tactical. $220 on sale is still a great price.

impure
12-09-08, 12:32
http://www.tucsonguns.com/pic/2008-02/01-29-08-0006.jpghttp://www.gunshowreview.com/SHOT2008/Day2/00-2-2-08-0074.jpgget yourself an sbs or aow shotgun. maybe a bit expensive but they are mighty cool. plus super short for perfect home defense. plus you can dual weild them!JK. but i'll be getting one once i get back from basic training

toddackerman
12-14-08, 11:54
I made the mistake of leaving an 870 outside the safe. It was the one gun that was stolen from me when my house was burglarized.

Someone breaks in. They're in your bedroom/closet/gun room/whatever looking for anything and everything. They find your shotgun. Your arrive home and, because they entered through the rear, you have no idea they are there. You surprise them and they are now armed with the shotgun you left out.

This scenario is not far fetched, and is almost what happened to me. Fortunately they had a way out through the back door and left rather than deciding to stay and fight, and they had made enough of a mess in the living room (muddy footprints on light tile) that I knew something was amiss.

I am a fan of having a ready gun, but I think that a pistol, with a light, in a lockbox is a better solution for me.

I agree with Rob. I won't leave the house with a weapon available to burglars. I even think about my kitchen knives but I haven't gotten that paranoid yet. :)

What's wrong with having your pistol ready at all times? CCW, when you're out or when at home with kids, and on the nite stand with a light for bed time. Then you have only one weapon to be concerned about.

royta
12-14-08, 15:08
What's wrong with having your pistol ready at all times? CCW, when you're out or when at home with kids, and on the nite stand with a light for bed time. Then you have only one weapon to be concerned about.

That's what I'm going with.

If I decide to pick up a tactical shotgun and I feel like having it out of the safe, it will only be out when I am home. When I leave, the shotgun will be locked up.

CobraBG
12-17-08, 18:20
If I decide to pick up a tactical shotgun and I feel like having it out of the safe, it will only be out when I am home. When I leave, the shotgun will be locked up.

That makes sense to me. If I'm not home everything should be locked up.

Saginaw79
12-17-08, 18:23
My suggestion is a Mossberg 500 Persuader or a Police Trade in 870(if you can find one) they are usually only like 200 bucks

ccap74
01-13-09, 20:19
When I get home I unlock my safe and when I leave I lock'er up. Im paranoid about someone breaking in.
Also, I have a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip, I fits nicely between my bed frame and matress. Its in a gun sock. I practice dryfiring it in the sock so I dont have to wrestle the damn thing. Its been there for 8 or 9 yrs now

Falboy
01-23-09, 08:38
Mr Kassnar, your tactical with the ghosts and rails appears to be an 870 clone, would it take an 870 mag. ext.? I'm looking for a trunk monkey and that appears perfect!

LDM
01-23-09, 10:37
There is a product called Lifejacket that locks around the receiver of a shotgun ( or pistol, or AR-15). Cost is reasonable $20-$30.
It can be secured to a wall stud with lag screws. Won't say it cannot be removed but it would take while. Yet the weapon is readily available with simply key lock.
The key locks can be changed such you have only one key for multiple weapons.
This is my less-than-gun-safe solution for a ready home defense weapon.

Stay safe.

96GTS
01-24-09, 14:42
I bought a Mossberg 590A1 on a whim thinking I'd use it for HD (18" bbl, ghost ring sights, and a +2 extension made it hold 7 rounds). I've had basic training in the academy with the shotgun, but never any CQ stuff. However, I've put 10K+ rounds through my issued beretta and almost as many through my USP45 w/ x300 that I choose carry on duty. I've cleared a couple buildings (not tacticool swat team style, but patrol deputy/officer style) when responding to alarms at businesses and wharehouses. Sold the 12ga after realizing I am much more comfortable with my handguns in a CQ or HD situation with my current set of skills...

zippygaloo
01-24-09, 16:12

So you had a showdown?

Scattergun
01-24-09, 21:37
I keep an old Police trade in 870 Wingmaster out for HD. I gave $150 for from SOG a few years ago.

lostwake
05-18-09, 22:32

would i be able to throw some ghost rings on a standard field tactical?

condition 1
05-27-09, 19:14
I picked up a used 870 20 guage youth model, for $200.00 its short, light,and easy to move around with. 5 rounds of 00 buck should do the trick, inside or outside, and for 200 bucks, take it, and get the, FU#& !!!! out of my house... :mad:

Slugger
06-24-09, 14:21
For your consideration . . . check out the long gun Vault. Secured and quick access. Not sure if these are made any more though?
Slugger