PDA

View Full Version : Contract award for Barrett Firearms

Slater
03-31-21, 18:56
From today's (31 March) DoD contract announcements:

Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc., Christiana, Tennessee, was awarded a $49,977,196 firm-fixed-price contract for procurement of Multi-Role Adaptive Rifle/MK22 Advanced Sniper Rifles, spare parts, accessories, tools, and conversion kits. Bids were solicited via the internet with one received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of March 29, 2026. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-21-D-0028).

From all that I've read, the Mk 22 is a home run for Barrett. Don't know if that includes foreign sales or not.

SteyrAUG
03-31-21, 19:59
So that's like what...10 rifles?

Just joking. Barrett is an excellent company and glad to see somebody besides Cohen...I mean SIG get a contract.

Pappabear
03-31-21, 20:15

Just joking. Barrett is an excellent company and glad to see somebody besides Cohen...I mean SIG get a contract.

But a good joke gave me a laugh. I have always wanted a Barret MRAD, maybe one day. Glad the boys are getting quality gear. Is it the Norma barrels or not?

PB

pointblank4445
03-31-21, 20:28
The only thing bad is what's happened to the MRAD pricing since socom picked it up now this. They used to be the "poor man's" AXMC and were less than 1/2 the price. They rival AXMC pricing currently.

MountainRaven
03-31-21, 20:43
But a good joke gave me a laugh. I have always wanted a Barret MRAD, maybe one day. Glad the boys are getting quality gear. Is it the Norma barrels or not?

PB

7.62mm NATO barrels for use on bases where longer ranges are not available.
300 Norma for anti-personnel.
338 Norma for anti-materiel.

Here's a video Mike from GarandThumb did with Kevin Owens, one of the guys behind the Mk22 program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAlmlb8W_DE

MountainRaven
03-31-21, 20:43
Double-tap.

titsonritz
03-31-21, 21:46
A dream gun.

AndyLate
04-01-21, 05:47
Less than $16,000, plus shipping of course, if you want one (supressor sold seperately) https://www.eurooptic.com/Barrett-MK22-Rifle-Kit-308-Win-300-Norma-Mag-338-Norma-Mag-18804.aspx

Posted for informational purposes (and pics).

I feel safe linking to a non-sponsor because no one will buy this based on the link.

Andy

WillBrink
04-01-21, 09:51

They never seem to get much love here, even though they do produce ARs and other rifles besides the classic Better .50. Why dat?

Eda
04-01-21, 12:06
They never seem to get much love here, even though they do produce ARs and other rifles besides the classic Better .50. Why dat?
I think its their price, you really have to pay an arm and a leg most of the time to get any barrett bold or gas gun, and their ars are kinda just meh. Sure they're a quality rifle, but they don't really have anything special or unique about them, which is why I think the 50s and bolt guns steal the show

Eda
04-01-21, 12:06
I think its their price, you really have to pay an arm and a leg most of the time to get any barrett bold or gas gun, and their ars are kinda just meh. Sure they're a quality rifle, but they don't really have anything special or unique about them, which is why I think the 50s and bolt guns steal the show

Pappabear
04-01-21, 17:29
Mountain Raven,
"7.62mm NATO barrels for use on bases where longer ranges are not available.
300 Norma for anti-personnel.
338 Norma for anti-materiel".

Thanks for the feedback. 300 Norma (and win mag) giving the nod to Norma, has got to be the most efficient killing cartridge for bad guys at moderate distances. I shoot 300 almost every week and the difference in 300 and the rest, from the report hitting steel to the cheating wind, it just dominates without overwhelming recoil. I just have a great affinity to that cartridge and glad our boys have that option.

PB

Slater
04-01-21, 18:14
"The Army will procure approximately 2,800 MK22 rifles from Barrett, the current maker of the Army’s M107 .50 Caliber Long Range Sniper Rifle.

The MK22 is part of the Army’s Precision Sniper Rifle (PSR) Program which also includes the Leupold & Stevens (Beaverton, OR) Mark 5 HD scope and a sniper accessory kit.

The MK22 is a modular system that will be fielded with three separate calibers, the .338 Norma Magnum, .300 Norma Magnum and 7.62x51 NATO."

https://www.army.mil/article/244821/new_army_sniper_weapon_system_contract_awarded_to_barrett_firearms#:~:text=The%20Army%20will%20procure%20approximately,and%20a%20sniper%20accessory%20kit.

SteyrAUG
04-01-21, 18:20

Don't know. But when I did a Barrett Group Buy years ago before the impending CA .50 ban, they offered to ship directly to end user FFLs so that more people could get in last minute. This mostly defeated their group buy incentive of large order sent to a single buyer but they were more interested in CA residents getting a rifle before the door closed.

They also decided to no longer sell or support their product to CA government and law enforcement in light of the ban on .50s for CA citizens.

SteyrAUG
04-01-21, 18:23

Don't look at Accuracy International prices, especially for their .50 BMG.

Sorta agree on ARs, I think they made one just to have one. For the money I'd rather buy a KAC AR but Barrett makes nice stuff when it comes to the big guns.