PDA

View Full Version : Violent Crime in Baltimore Plunges ...

WillBrink
04-01-21, 09:39
While there's some compelling evidence here for not wasting LE time and resources on crimes such as sex work, drug possession, etc, I don't trust the data collection of Mosby's office for a second on other crimes that should prosecuted in an attempt to manipulate stats to favor the office and it's policies. While I wanna be leaf dropping the prohibition approach resulted in fewer serious/violent crimes too, something does not pass the smell test there:

Violent Crime in Baltimore Plunges After City Ditches Prosecution of Prostitution, Drug Possession, Other Minor Offenses

Decarceral experiment in Baltimore gets results. After a year of foregoing prosecution of certain nonviolent misdemeanor crimes, Baltimore has seen a serious drop in violent crimes and property crimes, too. Between March 2020 and March 2021, violent crime in Baltimore dropped 20 percent and property crime dropped 36 percent. Homicides were also down slightly (13 fewer compared to the previous year).

Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced in March 2020 that her office would dismiss all pending charges for drug possession, prostitution, trespassing, open container, public urination, paraphernalia possession, attempted distribution of drugs, and minor traffic offenses. It would also stop prosecuting new cases for these offenses—a decision born out of the desire to thwart COVID-19 spreading through jails.

Mosby's office dismissed 1,423 pending cases and dismissed 1,415 warrants related to these offenses between March 2020 and March 2021. Now, the change will be permanent.

"The police are going to follow what they've been doing for the past year, which is not arresting people based on the offenses I mentioned," Mosby said at a March 26 press conference. "Clearly, the data suggest there is no public safety value in prosecuting low-level offenses."

Of course, it doesn't necessarily follow that halting prosecution of some nonviolent offenses actually caused Baltimore's widespread drop in violent and property crimes. For instance, the pandemic and business and school shutdowns alone could explain the decline. But the fact that the pandemic and shutdowns have corresponded to rising violent crime rates in many other U.S. cities casts doubt on their power to explain Baltimore's decrease in both nonviolent and violent offenses.

https://reason.com/2021/04/01/violent-crime-in-baltimore-plunges-after-city-ditches-prosecution-of-prostitution-drug-possession-other-minor-offenses/

utahjeepr
04-01-21, 10:12
If ya don't look or follow up, ya tend not to find. Head in the sand enforcement cuts crime every time.

ETA: Not to mention that there is an active campaign to discourage the reporting of crime in the name of wokeness and "racial justice".

chuckman
04-01-21, 10:19
By BS radar is pinging hard...

It's easy to say our laws of and enforcement on speeding is good when we don't stop people for speeding.

Now, I do agree that a lot of those crimes/infractions should be desk appearances or tickets only. Don't show up or pay the man, then a warrant for failure to appear.

Arik
04-01-21, 11:07
Maybe it's just me but I don't get the connection. What does violent crime have todo with traffic offense, prostitution....etc..

I understand that some of these activities can lead to violence but the act of not arresting has what to do with it? Cop sees prostitute and goes to arrest.... suddenly violence breaks out?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-01-21, 12:24
Is this a statistical reason that Baltimore had incredibly high crime rates before they did this and that is what drives this reduction. Baltimore had already surged in a lot of crime categories in 2018 and 2019, if I remember correctly. Someone would have to explain to me the causation, not just the correlation, as to why crimes like murder would be down. In some ways I can understand if reporting crimes are lower because people just don’t think it will be prosecuted, but things like murder are harder to kind of ignore and sweep under the rug.

utahjeepr
04-01-21, 13:01
Is this a statistical reason that Baltimore had incredibly high crime rates before they did this and that is what drives this reduction. Baltimore had already surged in a lot of crime categories in 2018 and 2019, if I remember correctly. Someone would have to explain to me the causation, not just the correlation, as to why crimes like murder would be down. In some ways I can understand if reporting crimes are lower because people just don’t think it will be prosecuted, but things like murder are harder to kind of ignore and sweep under the rug.

I can't remember where I saw it, but Baltimore has record high murder rate. So that isn't one of the crimes that is "down".

ChattanoogaPhil
04-01-21, 13:29
When ice cream sales rise so do homicides but there's no causation. I suspect the same is true with this so-called Decarceral experiment. Property crime down due to not arresting druggies roaming the streets?

Voodoochild
04-01-21, 13:40
If you don't prosecute/arrest crime will plunge because it's no longer being reported. Is crime plunging because people have suddenly decided to behave themselves and act like civilized humans? NO!!

The_War_Wagon
04-01-21, 15:09
If ya don't look or follow up, ya tend not to find. Head in the sand enforcement cuts crime every time.

ETA: Not to mention that there is an active campaign to discourage the reporting of crime in the name of wokeness and "racial justice".

Eggsactly.

Same reason crime is "down" here in Pittsburgh. :rolleyes:

pag23
04-01-21, 18:32
Thought this was an April Fools joke..

SteyrAUG
04-01-21, 19:18
Having seen this in the past, I'd put money on knocking felonies down to misdemeanors and whenever possible not issuing a case number and otherwise under reporting / not reporting crime.

Broward Sheriff's Office received essentially these directives under Ken Jenne so he could showcase how effective he is as a law enforcement leader in his bid to become Strong Mayor of Broward County after the position was created for him.

It's why I laugh when LEO's threaten any form of Blue Flu, I endured a decade of that shit.

Honu
04-01-21, 20:03
So they quit reporting crime and just told police to ignore all crime and if any gets caught up by accident we wont prosecute and they say WOW crime went down ?

NO crime will most likely go up they just wont be doing anything about it NICE love libs and idiocy

jsbhike
04-01-21, 20:21
Rest assured, firearms owners won't get a free pass.

utahjeepr
04-01-21, 20:58
I wish I could find the story. Local Baltimore news was saying they were averaging 1 murder and 2 non fatal shootings per day. I think it was as of the end of February(?).

jsbhike
04-01-21, 21:20
I wish I could find the story. Local Baltimore news was saying they were averaging 1 murder and 2 non fatal shootings per day. I think it was as of the end of February(?).

There is an interactive map.

https://homicides.news.baltimoresun.com/

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-02-21, 16:42
The article says that murders were down by 13 in 2020 versus 2019 that still would give them a murder total higher than every year except for 2017. There is always random movement in these numbers. I wouldn’t exactly call this a win. Although most other cities did see increases in murder rates so in that regards maybe there is something there. The other thing is that they just killed almost everybody that lives in Baltimore already so there’s not many people left to kill. ;)

kaiservontexas
04-02-21, 19:56
Stat manipulation and so I agree with the posts on here, and I to wonder how ending prohibition ends the violent crime? Granted I understand how, but that would be legalization. The drug economy is still gang controlled, and as such would still be at the center of violence: rip off crews, one gang wanting to push out another gang for monopoly control, and what not . . .

Hookers and drugs should be legalized. Idiots are not going to become extinct, and the same trash will be doing the same trashy things despite whatever is going on in and with the world. Drunks will still be drunk, addicts will still be high, both will still be doing dumb and dangerous crap no matter the weather tomorrow, and hos and still gonna ho and get tricks. Better for health to regulate and tax the crap out of it all.

Yes, I understand my opinion here is not popular. Still does not answer why violent crime is down because they decided to take this action. And why would somebody, not involved with the criminals, not report molestation, murder, and rape? Those crimes have a nasty habit of reaching out and grabbing just about anybody at anytime for no rhyme or reason. Would not public safety demand going at such criminals hard and with full force?

kaiservontexas
04-02-21, 19:56
Double tap sorry

jsbhike
04-02-21, 21:19
Stat manipulation and so I agree with the posts on here, and I to wonder how ending prohibition ends the violent crime? Granted I understand how, but that would be legalization. The drug economy is still gang controlled, and as such would still be at the center of violence: rip off crews, one gang wanting to push out another gang for monopoly control, and what not . . .

Hookers and drugs should be legalized. Idiots are not going to become extinct, and the same trash will be doing the same trashy things despite whatever is going on in and with the world. Drunks will still be drunk, addicts will still be high, both will still be doing dumb and dangerous crap no matter the weather tomorrow, and hos and still gonna ho and get tricks. Better for health to regulate and tax the crap out of it all.

Yes, I understand my opinion here is not popular. Still does not answer why violent crime is down because they decided to take this action. And why would somebody, not involved with the criminals, not report molestation, murder, and rape? Those crimes have a nasty habit of reaching out and grabbing just about anybody at anytime for no rhyme or reason. Would not public safety demand going at such criminals hard and with full force?

Sounds good to me.

Only thing is, "taxing the crap out of it" would have the same effect as now.

There is a limit on what people will pay before going the no tax route becomes worth the risk for makers, sellers, and buyers.

AndyLate
04-03-21, 06:22
Sounds good to me.

Only thing is, "taxing the crap out of it" would have the same effect as now.

There is a limit on what people will pay before going the no tax route becomes worth the risk for makers, sellers, and buyers.

It has already been reported as an issue in Colorado, which has seen about 1/2 the projected tax revenue.

Andy

utahjeepr
04-03-21, 09:57
Stat manipulation and so I agree with the posts on here,

Hookers and drugs should be legalized.

It's obviously manipulation. To address your second points first: nobody is hiding murders, shootings, ... that would backfire on them. They can however play with the reporting details of lesser violent offenses. Say you take a portion of your violent crimes like assault, mugging, armed robbery and misrepresent them in the reporting of stats. Call them disorderlies, simple robberies or thefts, POOF less "violent" crime statistically.

I'm with you on a workable legalization of drugs and prostitution. Cut the criminal elements out if the drug pipeline, and give some liability protection to the market (this shit will kill you, don't do it, but if you do don't blame us kind of thing). Buyer beware, and no relief for the consequences of your choices. If prostitutes are not trafficked, pimped, or otherwise victimized by others, I'm all good with legalized prostitution. But there's a lot of ugly shit in that world as it sits now.

ViniVidivici
04-03-21, 15:42
That's just the same buulshit that the "authorities" here in WA have been doing.

A while back they said "hey look doods, meth crime and use has been goin' down, yo".

All it was was numbers....they began laying off of prosecutions and enforcement.

Now it's even worse, with the latest trend to NOT arrest or prosecute for many, many petty crimes, and being very lenient on even alot of violent stuff.

Stickman
04-03-21, 19:20
I know of a city which had a new chief of police who felt the best way to increase public safety was to show that violent crime was down. He had burglary reports downgraded to vandalism’s, robbery reports changed to theft, and on and on. With two sets of numbers, he was able to show whatever he wanted.

Eliminating prosecution won’t change officers arrests. NYC already has shown what emphasis on minor infractions does, it cleans the streets and keeps taxpaying citizens safer.

WillBrink
04-13-21, 08:49
It gets better:

BALTIMORE, MD– On Friday, April 9th, the Baltimore City Police issued a memo to officers with new instructions about police enforcement procedures.

#NEW: FOX45 has obtained documents shedding light into how City State's Attorney’s new policies are now being enforced. Weeks ago Marilyn Mosby announced her office will no longer prosecute certain crimes she considers low-level. More on @FOXBaltimorehttps://t.co/2Cm578a7hM

— Rachel Aragon (@RachelANews) April 12, 2021

The letter’s subject line was “Continued Modified Enforcement Procedures” and said, in part:

“Charges for certain offenses may be effectuated by requesting a charging document from a District Court Commissioner. This an be done only after consulting with a lieutenant or above to determine whether seeking criminal charges is appropriate and reasonable based on the likely outcomes.”

The letter then listed off the offenses to which that order would apply to:

CDS (drug) possession;
Attempted distribution of CDS;
Paraphernalia possession;
Prostitution;
Trespassing;
Minor traffic offenses;
Open container;
Rogue and vagabond; and
Urinating/defecating in public.

Cont:

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/memo-released-on-baltimore-city-police-low-level-offense-procedures/

Adrenaline_6
04-14-21, 08:23
It gets better:

BALTIMORE, MD– On Friday, April 9th, the Baltimore City Police issued a memo to officers with new instructions about police enforcement procedures.

#NEW: FOX45 has obtained documents shedding light into how City State's Attorney’s new policies are now being enforced. Weeks ago Marilyn Mosby announced her office will no longer prosecute certain crimes she considers low-level. More on @FOXBaltimorehttps://t.co/2Cm578a7hM

— Rachel Aragon (@RachelANews) April 12, 2021

The letter’s subject line was “Continued Modified Enforcement Procedures” and said, in part:

“Charges for certain offenses may be effectuated by requesting a charging document from a District Court Commissioner. This an be done only after consulting with a lieutenant or above to determine whether seeking criminal charges is appropriate and reasonable based on the likely outcomes.”

The letter then listed off the offenses to which that order would apply to:

CDS (drug) possession;
Attempted distribution of CDS;
Paraphernalia possession;
Prostitution;
Trespassing;
Minor traffic offenses;
Open container;
Rogue and vagabond; and
Urinating/defecating in public.

Cont:

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/memo-released-on-baltimore-city-police-low-level-offense-procedures/

Ahhh....Seattle, Part Deux.

graffex
04-14-21, 08:29
I’m working in the hood of baltimore as I type this. Crime plunging or any signs of slowing down is absolutely laughable 😂

John W
05-07-21, 13:14
I’m working in the hood of baltimore as I type this. Crime plunging or any signs of slowing down is absolutely laughable 😂

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/no-units-send-baltimore-city-shortage-ems-personnel-during-night-shootings

"Word is Police Commissioner Harrison will need to close 2 police districts. As of today, Patrol has fallen below 700 sworn officers! #500copsshort #cityincrisis @BaltimorePolice @GLFOP"

Approx 600,000 pop in Baltimore. Welcome to Gotham City my friends.